PDA

View Full Version : Symbology_ Eagle, Ox, Man and Lion

TheBigJC05
Oct 9th 2006, 08:02 PM
Why are the Eagle, the Ox, the Man and the Lion used continuously as symbols for the different clans of Jews, the different books of the New Testament, etc.

Ta-An
Oct 9th 2006, 08:10 PM
Not just these four, each line of the twelve tribes has their own symbol

Ta-An
Oct 9th 2006, 08:14 PM
THE SYMBOLS OF ISRAEL

Rueben:Man/Water
Simeon:Sword/Gate
Judah:Lion/3 Lions
Zebulun:Ship
IssacharLaden Ass
Dan;Serpent/Horse
Gad:Troop
Asher:Cup
Naphtali:Stag
Benjamin,Wolf
Ephraim:Ox, Unicorn
Manasseh:Olive Branch, Arrows

http://www.stitchesbysue.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/circletribes2.jpg

TheBigJC05
Oct 9th 2006, 08:16 PM
Sorry, I can't really make that out.

Ta-An
Oct 9th 2006, 08:32 PM
Sorry, I can't really make that out.

:confused :confused :confused
See more here :
http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=613

TheBigJC05
Oct 9th 2006, 08:35 PM
My fault my site must have loaded the page with just the html, it was all jumbled. Sorry about that, I can see it fine now.

TheBigJC05
Oct 9th 2006, 08:58 PM
So why are these symbols with their respective clan?

Ta-An
Oct 9th 2006, 09:13 PM
So why are these symbols with their respective clan?

I'll answer you tomoz...it is after midnight ;)

Kahtar
Oct 9th 2006, 09:36 PM
Here's some interesting things about those 4.
In the encampment in the wilderness, 3 tribes camped on the east, 3 on the west, 3 on the north and 3 on the south. Each group had a standard,which corresponded to those 4.
The 4 colors used in the tabernacle, ie the gate, door, and veil, which were scarlet, blue, purple, and white, corresponded to those 4.
The four gospel correspond to those 4.
Christ corresponds to those 4. (son of man, son of God, King, and Sacrifice)
The 4 living creatures around the throne correspond to those 4.

TheBigJC05
Oct 9th 2006, 09:48 PM
Yes, I remember reading all of that. Also, if you look at the population count of each tribe and form them according to East, West, North and South you form a cross.

RND
Oct 10th 2006, 06:43 AM
Actually, the encampment is a picture of the New Jerusalem.

Revelation 21:12
And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:

13 On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates.

The picture of the earthly encampment is the picture of the heavenly encampment in the New Jerusalem.

TheBigJC05
Oct 10th 2006, 06:58 AM
Levites pop(Center square): 22,300
Ephraim/Manasseh/Benjamin pop(W): 108,100
Dan/Asher/Naphtali pop(N): 157,600
Judah/Issachar/Zebulun pop(E): 166,100
Reuben/Simeon/Gad pop(S): 151,450

If you take those populations, put them in their directions from the center without going outside of the width of the Levite square(which would make them go into NW/SW/NE/SE) you end up with a cross.

Ta-An
Oct 10th 2006, 07:25 AM
Ezekiels dream....... the 12 tribes of Israel, their camps... the L_rd's protection. I am not gonna rewrite it ;)

http://www.geocities.com/christian_crusade/about_the_four_banners.html
An interesting website to read

We need to look at the qualities of each of these 'creatures' to see what they mean :)

The Lion (Judah) as we know actually represents Jesus himself. The Lion represents his strength, authority, and royalty.

Another site: http://penelope.uchicago.edu/pseudodoxia/pseudo510.html

Love Fountain
Oct 18th 2006, 03:01 AM
Yes, I remember reading all of that. Also, if you look at the population count of each tribe and form them according to East, West, North and South you form a cross.

Hi TheBigJC05,

An acronym for North, East, West and South is NEWS.

Heard any GOOD NEWS lately?

Also, here a post I shared from another thread a while back that discusses in part what the symbols represent.

Rev 4:7

7 And the first beast was like a lion, and the second beast like a calf, and the third beast had a face as a man, and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle.
KJV

1.) lion
2.) calf
3.) man
4.) eagle

The symbols are representative of the symbols used as the standards of the armies of Israel and their emcampments which can be read about in the beginning chapters of the book of Numbers.

Num 1:2-3
2 Take ye the sum of all the congregation of the children of Israel, after their families, by the house of their fathers, with the number of their names, every male by their polls;

3 From twenty years old and upward, all that are able to go forth to war in Israel: thou and Aaron shall number them by their armies.
KJV

When the armies would set up their emcampments as read about in Numbers chapter 2, they would cover the four directions from which an enemy may attack, the north, south, east and west. The twelve tribes would encamp three on each side and be represented by one standard/symbol as such.

The Lion as the standard of Judah would also consist of Zebulon and Issachar which encamped with Judah.

The Calf/bull as the standard for Ephraim would also consist of Benjamin and Manasseh which encamped with Ephraim.

The Man as the standard for Reuben would also consist of Simeon and Gad which encamped with Reuben.

The Eagle as the standard for Dan would also consist of Asher and Naphtali which encamped with Dan.

Hope this helps.

Bless you,
Love Fountain

Love Fountain
Oct 18th 2006, 03:11 AM
Why are the Eagle, the Ox, the Man and the Lion used continuously as symbols for the different clans of Jews, the different books of the New Testament, etc.

One other thing to think about is that mankind idol worships all four of the symbols too.

Enjoy your day,
Love Fountain

edvasicek
Nov 18th 2006, 03:58 AM

To address the original question,

Ezekiel 1:10 reads of the Cherubim in his vision: "Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."

The cherubim are the original source for this grouping of 4. It is possible that the cherubim on the Mercy Seat of the Ark were thus designed (we cannot know for sure, since Ezekiel's vision was way after the time of Moses; did Moses perhaps know how cherubim looked? Do all cherubim look this way?).

Ta-An
Nov 19th 2006, 07:55 PM
Does this not represent the presence of the L_rd..??

The Man Jesus Christ,1 Tim 2:5 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=54&CHAP=2&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=5) For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
....who was born from the Tribe of Judah (Lion),....
Deut 32:11 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=82&BOOK=5&CHAP=32&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=11) As an eagle that stirs up her nest, That flutters over her young, He spread abroad his wings, he took them, He bore them on his feathers.
He (Jesus) will cover us with His feathers and under His wings we'll find refuge.. (Psalm 91)

The Ox has something to do with sacrifce....:hmm:

Kahtar
Nov 19th 2006, 08:18 PM
Does this not represent the presence of the L_rd..??

The Man Jesus Christ,1 Tim 2:5 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=54&CHAP=2&SEARCH=jesus%20king%20lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=5) For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
....who was born from the Tribe of Judah (Lion),....
Deut 32:11 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=82&BOOK=5&CHAP=32&SEARCH=jesus%20king%20lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=11) As an eagle that stirs up her nest, That flutters over her young, He spread abroad his wings, he took them, He bore them on his feathers.
He (Jesus) will cover us with His feathers and under His wings we'll find refuge.. (Psalm 91)

The Ox has something to do with sacrifce....:hmm:and service., a beast of burden..................a servant - Phi 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

edvasicek
Nov 22nd 2006, 12:00 AM
It's not that these creatures can't by symbolic of the Lord Jesus, but I think the Ezekiel vision is not directly connected to that.

Symbolism is tricky. Christ is the lion of the tribe of Judah, but Satan roams about like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.

Christ is the bright morning star, and Lucifer is the star of the morning.

So some things are not all that clear cut.

I think it is right to say that "the Law is the shadow of things to come." But I am not sure that the ox and the eagle are obvious symbols of the Lord.

joztok
Nov 28th 2006, 01:21 AM
THE SYMBOLS OF ISRAEL

Rueben:Man/Water
Simeon:Sword/Gate
Judah:Lion/3 Lions
Zebulun:Ship
IssacharLaden Ass
Dan;Serpent/Horse
Gad:Troop
Asher:Cup
Naphtali:Stag
Benjamin:Wolf
Ephraim:Ox, Unicorn
Manasseh:Olive Branch, Arrows

Is it possible for you to supply biblical reference for the above. I find it very interesting. Jacob's prophecy (Genisis 49) covers most of what you have said, but others don't seem to fit. Ox and Unicorn?

joztok
Nov 28th 2006, 02:01 AM
Don't get confused with symbology and simile. Satan is 'like' a roaring lion, looking for something to devour, not 'symbolised'. Prophecy does deal with metaphor, symbology and simile. All quite different.

dsmith922
Feb 3rd 2007, 05:17 AM
I read somewhere about a battle between the bear dragon and the eagle where the eagle was wounded but in the end was victorious. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Studyin'2Show
Feb 3rd 2007, 02:30 PM
I read somewhere about a battle between the bear dragon and the eagle where the eagle was wounded but in the end was victorious. Does this sound familiar to anyone?Is this battle supposed to be in the Bible? I'm not familiar with a scene quite like that in the Bible. Anyone else know where this may be from?

Sons of Issachar
Apr 10th 2007, 02:07 AM
Is it possible for you to supply biblical reference for the above. I find it very interesting. Jacob's prophecy (Genisis 49) covers most of what you have said, but others don't seem to fit. Ox and Unicorn?

Unicorn was olde english for an oxen like beast.

As stated, all the Tribe symbolic designations derive from Jacob/Israel's prophecy in Genesis 49, and also partly from Moses' benediction in Deuteronomy 33.

Notice both patriarchs gave blessings and prophecy over the Tribes before they passed from this life. One in the end of the first book of the Pentateuch, another in the end of the last book of the Pentateuch.

Deuteronomy 33:13-17 And of Joseph he said, Blessed of the LORD be his land, for the precious things of heaven, for the dew, and for the deep that coucheth beneath, And for the precious fruits brought forth by the sun, and for the precious things put forth by the moon, And for the chief things of the ancient mountains, and for the precious things of the lasting hills, And for the precious things of the earth and fulness thereof, and for the good will of him that dwelt in the bush: let the blessing come upon the head of Joseph, and upon the top of the head of him that was separated from his brethren.

His glory is like the firstling of his bullock, and his horns are like the horns of unicorns: with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth: and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they are the thousands of Manasseh.

Sons of Issachar
Apr 10th 2007, 02:12 AM
All are seen around the Throne in Revelation, and Ezekiel as stated before. They are the symbolic designations seen 'encamping' around God's presence....

earthly actualities only mirror heavenly realities...

so thus, God had it mirrored within the encampment of Israel.... as the Tabernacle and Most Holy Place... the place of God's Ark of the Covenant was in the midst... where God was considered to have 'dwelt' manifestly and expressly... mirroring His throne room in Heaven...

All 4 chief tribe designations are also parallel to the theme messages of the 4 gospels... all 4 symbols also seem to correlate well with a unique characteristic of Christ's dual nature.
He is the King (Lion)
He is the Servant (Ox)
He is the earthly Man (Son of Man)
and He is the soaring, heavenly Eagle (Son of God)
I see the reigning Royal Jewish King long prophesied about, expressed in Matthew (Lion of Judah)
I see the lowly, suffering man of burden, expressed in Mark (Ox)
I see the very human nature of Christ played out in Luke (Man)
And finally, set apart from the 3 synoptic Gospels... on its own level, I see the heavenly, mystical reality of Christ as the Son from Heaven, the WORD from Above, the LOGOS of God... with its piercing heavenly insight, I see John equating with the (Eagle), who soars high and far... but with such piercing vision to see into the realities of the heavenly mysteries.

Sons of Issachar
Apr 10th 2007, 02:18 AM
A chart I pasted together.....

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c364/JP888/Outlines-Timelines/CampIsrael1.jpg

Luke 7:35
Jun 16th 2007, 01:53 PM
The Four Beasts represent the Whole House of Israel.
Num 2:1 And the LORD spoke unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying,
Num 2:2 Every man of the children of Israel shall pitch by his own standard, with the ensign of their father's house: far off about the tabernacle of the congregation shall they pitch.
Deu 33:1 And this is the blessing, wherewith Moses the man of God blessed the children of Israel before his death.
Deu 33:16 And for the precious things of the earth and fullness thereof, and forthe good will of him that dwelt in the bush: let theblessing come upon the head of Joseph, and upon the top of the head of him thatwas separated from his brethren.
Deu 33:17 His glory islike the firstling of his bullock, and his horns arelikethe horns of unicorns: with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth: and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they are the thousands of Manasseh.

The verses in Revelation are symbolic of the way God made a way for Israel across the Continent of Europe to their appoited place in Britain.

DURING THE CHRISTIAN DISPENSATION LOST ISRAEL WAS TO POSSESS CERTAIN MARKS OF IDENTIFICATION

A great and mighty nation.Gen. 12:2; 18:18; Deut. 4:7-8.
Named "Great.“Gen. 12:2.

The Chief of the nations.Gen. 27:29; Deut. 7:6; 15:6.
A maritime nation, having Gen. 49:25; Num 24:7; Deut. 33:13, 19;
command of the seas. Psa. 89:25.

Company or Commonwealth Gen. 35:11; 48:19; Eph. 2:12.
of nations.
A missionary nation.Gen. 22:18; Isa. 43:21; 49:6; 66:19.
The custodian of God's Word.Psa. 147:19, 20; Isa. 59:21, Gen. 18:19.

A just nation.Lev. 19:15; Deut. 1:17; Zeph. 3:13.
An undefeated nation.Isa. 54:17; Mic. 5:8, 9.

Blind to their identity.Isa. 29:10-12; 42:16-20; Rom. 11:7-25.

Have an island home Isa. 49:1-3, 12; Jer. 3:18; 31:8.
north and west of Palestine. Irrigate the desert Isa. 35:1; 43:19, 20; 58:11, 12.
and build the waste places.
Possess the wealth of the earth.Gen. 27:28; 49:25, 26;
Deut. 33:13, 16.
Possess the heritage of the heathen.2 Sam. 22:44; Psa. 2:8; 111:6.
Receive strangers and refugees.Lev. 19:33, 34; Isa. 11:10; 14:1; Isa. 55:5; 56:6-8; Zech. 8:22.
Set free slaves and prisoners.Psa. 72:4:Isa. 42:7; 49:9; 58:6.
Have a descendant of King 2 Sam. 7:13; 1 Chron. 22:10;
David reigning over them.2 Chron. 13:5; Psa. 89:35-37; Jer. 33:17.
Lose all trace of their lineage.Hos. 1:9, 10; Isa. 42:16; Rom. 11:25.

These are only a few but I hope it helps.

God Bless
Luke 7:35

SIG
Jun 17th 2007, 06:36 AM
Luke 7:35--Are you composing your posts, or quoting from some source? If so, from where?

Righton
Jun 21st 2007, 11:53 PM

This is from Ezekiel's vision of the Cheribum.

Here is my answer.

They are the four fixed signs of the Zodiac.

Every second sign in a group of three is fixed. The first is Taurus, the bull. The second is Leo, the lion. The third is Scorpio, the scorpion. [Before the scorpion was used for this sign, the eagle was.] The fourth is Aquarius, the man.

Before a moderator jumps the gun on me, let me introduce SCRIPTURE here:

Job 38:32 (King James Version)
32Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons?

Topical index results2 Results
ZODIAC
MAZZAROTH » Probably signs of the zodiac, see (Job 38:32)

From http://www.biblegateway.com

This is an original Hebrew word, translated differently by modern translations, to mean "Constellations". But in this text, in Job, The LORD asks Job if he can direct the zodiac.

My interpretation: The twelve tribes of Israel, like the twelve apostles, the twelve gates of Jerusalem, etc., represent the twelve basic signs that encompass all mankind, given us by The LORD at our birth.

This post of mine should be acceptable, because it comes from scripture, Job 38:32. Though there are Christians who have a great fear of astology, little do many know it is found in scripture, this passage from The LORD to Job. I am not saying we should use astrology as our guide, in place of the LORD, and there are passages [Isaiah 47] that condemn using astrologers as guides. But astrology itself is not made certain in scripture to be a work of evil. According to the passage in Job, it is The LORD who controls the zodiac, or Mazzaroth.

Some translations us "bull" rather than "ox". Ezekiel 1:10 (New American Standard Bible)
10As for the (A)form of their faces, each had the (B)face of a man; all four had the face of a lion on the right and the face of a bull on the left, and all four had the face of an eagle.

Also:

Matthew 2: 1Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, [a]magi from the east arrived in Jerusalem, saying,

Footnotes:

Matthew 2:1 A caste of wise men specializing in astronomy, astrology, and natural science

As this is in scripture, it should be an acceptable post.

Studyin'2Show
Jun 22nd 2007, 10:29 AM
Righton, I have to disagree with the assertion that astrology is somehow made acceptable in scripture. Astronomy and astrology, though similar are very different in practice. Astronomy is the study of heavenly bodies; stars, moons, constellations etc. Astrology is the attempt to use those heavenly bodies to in some way divine how human lives are affected by them. The enemy tends to take what God has made and attempt to pervert it. That is the case when you look at astronomy in comparison to astrology.

The four beasts may very well represent four different constellations. I have heard it preached that God gave us the gospel in the stars. The virgin, the water bearer, the lion (Lion of Judah) and more. There are signs within the heavens that make it sure that man is without excuse. I have no problem looking at those signs as they will lead us to the cross. Astrology, however, can only lead us away from the cross. I hope you see that a believer can look into the stars and see the signs that give God the glory, without having to rationalize that astrology is somehow not the perversion of the enemy (which it is).

Astrology is not biblically sound. Astronomy is. Simply pointing out that the magi may have been astrologers does not endorse the practice. You'd need to show scripture that shows that God endorses it. Pointing out that God mentions constellations does not show endorsement of divination through astrology. The constellations are His creation and thus give Him glory.

God Bless!

Righton
Jun 24th 2007, 07:46 AM
If anyone is interested further on my astrological connection, this is being discussed here: http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=91437

As I was told this subject is more fitting in "Controversial" I will at some point kick off this discussion [about the four faces] in that forum.

mike1983
Jul 18th 2007, 02:43 PM
Hi,

I don't think it is controversial. God wants His children to know the times they live in, but I can't remember which verse says that. I do know Genesis 1:14 says: "And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:..."

It is only wrong to use this as your central point of religion, as people are reading their horoscopes in stead of the Word of God.
Aint it God afterall, Who created all things? And God uses order in them, because He doesn't like chaos. and He made them for signs for US, to be as lights in the dark! So don't worship the stars itself, use it as a guidance towards the light itself (God).

I am currently studying the symbolism behind Genesis, and will let you know when it is done. I can allready tell you that the sun symbolizes Jesus (the greatest light, ruling over the day) and the moon symbolizes satan (which rules over the night, note that the moon dresses herself in white, but she is dead as it can be. So it only dresses with the light of the sun). Doesn't the bible say satan dresses as an angel of the light? The moon is also the only 'planet' going around the earth, while the earth is moving around the sun!

The four seasons represent the four corners of the earth, which are the four earthly perspectives of God (the center), in which each corner represents 3 tribes of Israel. Don't forget it were the 12 tribes of Israel in the old testament, and the 12 apostles in the new testament! They are also the 24 elders around the throne of God. It also explains the four headed creature talked about in previous posts, which are the four gospels. Which became the lights for us in our times!

Please don't forget I'm still studying this, and things could be a little different. But I just want to share with you the great Works of the Lord. By observing the things He created, you can symbolically understand why an how he did create us.

I will give you an example: A tree symbolizes a man, he either bears fruit or he doesn't. You either bear fruit (fruit = working for the Lord) or you don't. Jesus shows this by drying out the figtree, because it was the season (of the judgement) for the fruit, but it had nothing! So Jesus judged the tree as he will judge us, when the time of judgement is there!

The tree also symbolizes the tree of Life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. If you go and study this, you will find that when God created everything (including these 2 trees), IT WAS GOOD. So Adam and Eve already knew good! So in order for them to understand the knowledge of the difference of good and evil, they only had to take from the fruit of the knowledge of evil... The tree of life symbolizes Jesus and the tree of evil simply represents satan (who was in the tree as a snake). Adam means man and Eve means woman, which mean EVERY MAN AND WOMAN HAS TAKEN FROM THE FRUITS OF SATAN (SIN). It also means we all deserve death because we all chose for satan, by actions, and therefore chose for death ourselves.
Luckily there was also a tree of life (Jesus), which God hid from us until the end. Now is the end! Take from the tree of life (believe Jesus is God and died for your sins) and overcome death for the judgement is coming soon!

*The symbolical meaning doesn't say it didn't happen literal! It means both! That is so magnificent about it! A picture says a thousand words, so God tells the same story a thousand ways!

So don't say God didn't show you His Word, because it is everywhere!

May God bless all of you and show you the light that is Him!

Mike

bibletime
Apr 21st 2008, 05:45 PM
mike1983,

There are verses that say of the moon, that it turned to blood. It reminded me of Iesous.

There is also the Lord of the harvest, and harvest verses.

Verely, verely I say vnto you, Except the wheate corne fall into the grounde and die, it bideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth foorth much fruite, John 12:24.

In Genesis 1 it says on the third day of the plants with their seed, the corn of wheat. The next verses say what God brought forth.

The Timeline Of History - html (http://ebiblefellowship.com/sunday_bible_study/2005.10.09_McOwen_-_The_Timeline_of_History.html) audio (http://ebiblefellowship.com/sunday_bible_study/2005.10.09_McOwen_-_The_Timeline_of_History.m3u) When it says Noah went into the ark the same day, like in John 20:19, Iesous coming to them on sabbath day, like a day has hours and minutes, the seven thousandth has years and months. So it could be a few years later.

Thinking about why the biblical calendar goes to 33AD when Iesous was on the cross on the third day, and arose again on the seventh in 30AD, the Daniel verse says in the midst of the seven, and that he shall confirm the covenant for one seven. Knowing that the gospels tell of Iesous's 3.5 years, what verses tell us of the other 3.5 years is a question. In Acts 12 it says of the messenger of the Lord, it is recorded to be about 34AD.

Teke
Apr 23rd 2008, 01:27 PM

Since this old thread has come up, I guess it needs some new answers. :D

The clans of Israel have been presented. Now let's look at them in light of Jesus Christ. They have been related to the 4 Gospels traditionally (meaning not dogma) in the church's history. St Gregory the Great comments that the "man" is Matthew because he begins his gospel with Christ's genealogy (Matt. 1:1). The "lion" is Mark, because of the "crying in the wilderness" (Mk 1:1). The "ox" is Luke, because he started with a sacrifice (Lk 1:18). The "eagle" is John, who stretched toward the very substance of divinity (Jn 1:1).

Gregory also sees in them types of Christ, who became a man in the incarnation, an ox on the cross, a lion in the resurrection, and an eagle in the ascension.

Gregory concludes they symbolize "every one of the elect, who are perfect in the way of God," whose virtues are reason, self-sacrifice, fortitude, and contemplation of heavenly things.

In Revelation they are said to represent creation, beasts, men and angels as the Kingdom of God. Their number is that of the whole world (N,S,E,W), the cosmos.

jeffj
Apr 23rd 2008, 01:36 PM
I know that this doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the 12 tribes of Isreal but these 4 symbols just like the 4 gospels and the 4 colors of the door of the tabernacle refer to Jesus himself. The Eagle refers to heavenly things, the Ox to the sacrifice, the man to the perfect man, and the Lion from the tribe of Judah, it also has reference to the King of kings.

Curby Wheeler
Jun 16th 2012, 01:19 AM

These four creatures flanking the throne of God are a very interesting, but a very in-depth, study. If you're genuinely sincere in your desire to understand the Bible, this study will very much further your understanding.

Go here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/58351339/THE-GATES-OF-HELL

Turn to page 53 to the chapter entitled "The Jericho Campaign" and start reading. When you get to page 63 you'll get to the chapter entitled "Israel's Prophecy" where your answer will be found.