PDA

View Full Version : Angel picture I did using pastels

moonglow
Dec 4th 2006, 11:24 PM
...you can vote without me knowing who you are then you don't have to worry about hurting my feelings. I need honest opinions. I haven't done any real art work in quiet some time...I used to paint but I have this shake in my right hand that makes it impossible to do details with a fine brush anymore...:( I did this as a practice run after buying some new pastels today...I also have to say I haven't done alot with pastels in the past anyway...just off and on and usually with other mediums like colored pencils, or some paint ...my thing was always painting. Anyway we have three bullentin boards at church that need some kind of Christmas type pictures on them..we have none...I did some work on decorating them last weekend and would like to do some pictures on them...I was thinking one of the wise men on camels...one of the sherpards seeing the angels and I know the next one should be a naivity scene but I don't think I am talented enough to do that....as it is this angel has no face because I would just mess it up...:(

Anyway do you think I need more detail on it or leave it looser like that? As I said detail can be difficult for me so my work might have to be more abstract whether I want it to be or not...sigh.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/moonglow45/angel.jpg

God bless

Doc
Dec 4th 2006, 11:31 PM
Picked I like it even though I was looking for the absolutely amazing option.

That is an excellent picture

Slug1
Dec 4th 2006, 11:31 PM
I think it's perfect as it is :hug:.

Can't wait till my hair grows that long... WHAT, am I thinking outloud again :rolleyes:

mshake
Dec 4th 2006, 11:33 PM
i like it too... better than i could ever do

that's why i do photography ;)

moonglow
Dec 4th 2006, 11:36 PM
Now are you all being honest? You don't have to post....you can just vote and not say anything at all? I only spend an hour on this mostly just getting my bearing on using pastels again...its like a practice run...:lol: Not saying I can do any better...cause I don't know....:rolleyes:

I can't take very good pictures....I always forget to buy film for the camera for one thing....:rofl:

Pleroo
Dec 5th 2006, 12:08 AM
Julie I didn't vote because my answer isn't on there.

It's absolutely beautiful and it really touches me. I love everything about it. The position of her hands, the colors, and the lack of facial features. The whole thing flows and just invites me into it. Makes me want to stay awhile.

And pastels are my absolute favorite medium.

Seriously, LOVE it. LOVE it.

(Can I have it?) :D

slightlypuzzled
Dec 5th 2006, 12:29 AM
I think it is great. It looks like it is flying naturally, with another objective in mind; but I like angels.............it is very good. You could just paste Nates face on it..........:lol:

moonglow
Dec 5th 2006, 12:37 AM
Julie I didn't vote because my answer isn't on there.

It's absolutely beautiful and it really touches me. I love everything about it. The position of her hands, the colors, and the lack of facial features. The whole thing flows and just invites me into it. Makes me want to stay awhile.

And pastels are my absolute favorite medium.

Seriously, LOVE it. LOVE it.

(Can I have it?) :D

I was looking at an angel on the internet that I think looks alot better then mine...:rolleyes: Her hands are like that cause in this picture she is holding vine with flowers on it...I didn't think I could handle that yet...lol. and it has stars and stuff in the background that I didn't care for...I just needed a general thing to look at.

Anyway sure you can have it...but I gotta get some kind of spray to keep it from smearing...I used to use hairspray but now all I have is those sqrinting kind...:cool: And figure out how to mail it...:lol: Maybe if Slug growns hair he can tell me what to do...heh.

Slightlypuzzled I think it is great. It looks like it is flying naturally, with another objective in mind; but I like angels.............it is very good. You could just paste Nates face on it..........

I would but I don't have photo shop on this computer....waaaaaaa...(Nate would kill me anyway..lol)

CML
Dec 5th 2006, 12:52 AM
I HONESTLY LOVE IT TOO!!!!

It has a distinct sense of fluidity and motion. Its truly beautiful!

SammeyDW
Dec 5th 2006, 01:00 AM
i like it too... better than i could ever do

that's why i do photography ;)

Same here.
And yes I am being honest , and I belive mshake is too.
Basic digital art, and photography are about all I can handle.
Creating from the basics, like you did I can't handle in my dreams let alone when I am awake.

beckisted2004
Dec 5th 2006, 01:05 AM
I agree with everyone else! It's absolutely wonderful and I wish I had a big print to hang over my fireplace! It brings me such peace when I look at it... it's wonderful. Thank you for sharing it with us! I'd love to see more!

Quickened
Dec 5th 2006, 01:18 AM
I really really like it Julie!

moonglow
Dec 5th 2006, 03:11 AM
thanks all, your replies mean alot to me...especially lately I have been feeling down about alot of things right now, so its makes me feel good...:D....I keep reading the comments on here and looking at it trying to see what you see....:rolleyes: I really didn't think it was very good...

Its not very big, I did it on a sheet of colored contruction paper as practice. Now I spend the rest of the evening doing the wize man one...I know its suppose to be wize men, but you have to pretend the others are behind the first guy out of the scene....:lol: I just did one with the city off in the distance and the star...Its too big to scan though...I will see if my mom can use her digtal camera to take a picture of it and send it to me through email and get it on.

I just did a silhouette of the wize man on a camel and the city...after all you can't see stars in the day time (at least not very well...lol)

susan7522
Dec 5th 2006, 03:31 AM
I love it! I myself could never paint anything that good. You are talented!

cheech
Dec 5th 2006, 03:34 AM
I like it cuz I can't do it :D. Very good job!

Quickened
Dec 5th 2006, 03:34 AM
anytime you paint something and feel like sharing.... i would be quite interested in seeing it!

The Lord has blessed you with a talent! Its a blessing when you share that :)

ScottJohnson
Dec 5th 2006, 03:47 AM
I think that it's absolutely beautiful.... :)

moonglow
Dec 5th 2006, 03:51 AM
anytime you paint something and feel like sharing.... i would be quite interested in seeing it!

The Lord has blessed you with a talent! Its a blessing when you share that :)

Thanks 'soon'...;) I am still getting used to your new name...:rolleyes:

I just did a search on pastels getting tips and stuff you know...heh. I need some! It also looks like I better not use hair spray to keep them from smudging but get some regular spray to fix it in place...should have thought of that when I was in Hobby Lobby getting this stuff today...oh well...

Nate couldn't believe how fast I got these two done today...he wanted to know how I did that so fast....I said, I don't know...I am not trying to go fast. The hardest part is figuring out what picture to do then drawing it out and I get frustrated with my hand and its shaking. Like when I was drawing the outline of the wize man my hand did a little jig at the wrong time at the top of his head...so I decided that can be his crown...:lol: My hand shakes only when its in a certain position...I think I have nerve damage in it from injuying it years ago when I was in my late teens...over the years its gotten worse, but I rarely notice it unless I am trying to do some small work like I found out not to pick up a mealworm with that hand or I might crush it...:( just what you wanted to know, uh? :lol:

KingdomBound
Dec 5th 2006, 04:05 AM
It's really, REALLY good! I wish I could paint like that.
I love all the colors, you did a really good job.:)

ddmor
Dec 5th 2006, 05:10 AM
I always hated working with pastels, because when I tried to mix the colors it ended up looking like a smear ... or if I didn't blend them I thought what I did had alot in common with my drawing from the first grade that my mother insisted on keeping!!

You created an absolutely beautiful picture with a tough medium ... my hat off to you. The only thing I'd say to add is your name on it somewhere.

I haven't read all the posts, so I don't know if anyone else gave you this idea or not. There's that expensive artsie Fixitive spray stuff - but my Art teacher was a believer in cheap hair spray. It works just as well.

chal
Dec 5th 2006, 01:16 PM
I vote "I like it," but you should also, "keep working at it." I have done every piece of art I have ever done at least 10 times before settling on the one I like the most, which sometimes was the very first one, so saying keep working on it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it, just that there may be another perspective to get out of the subject. Your talent shows here, so "keep working at it," on some new ones also. Don't worry about the shaky hands, that will just give you a unique technique. I don't know if you've ever heard of Joni Erikson Tada, but she is paralyzed (from her waist down I believe) and paints with her mouth. Talent comes from within.

qbee
Dec 5th 2006, 01:35 PM
Its beautiful Julie
I love the pastels and color combination.

Ive already saved it to my PC ..:)

Seeker of truth
Dec 5th 2006, 02:56 PM
It's a beautiful painting Moonglow :) You have talent :)

GodsOwnFool
Dec 5th 2006, 05:26 PM
I'm impressed. It's very good and I'm not just saying that to be nice! :) I can barely draw a decent looking stick person so I am always a tiny bit jealous of people who have the skill to paint or draw.

moonglow
Dec 5th 2006, 06:11 PM
I vote "I like it," but you should also, "keep working at it." I have done every piece of art I have ever done at least 10 times before settling on the one I like the most, which sometimes was the very first one, so saying keep working on it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it, just that there may be another perspective to get out of the subject. Your talent shows here, so "keep working at it," on some new ones also. Don't worry about the shaky hands, that will just give you a unique technique. I don't know if you've ever heard of Joni Erikson Tada, but she is paralyzed (from her waist down I believe) and paints with her mouth. Talent comes from within.

Yes I know who she is, but I didn't know she painted...I will have to check that out. thanks. :)

I think I should work on the angel more too myself actually...but I want to get these others done for church first. I am probably like you in I keep messing with my art...keep seeing things I think I need to fix...lol. Sometimes I 'fix' them to the point of ruining them though....:( so I have to be careful on that....:rolleyes:

Thanks all for the encouraging words...:) Nate is home sick today, woke me up alot blowing his nose I am tired! I can't handle having my sleep interrupted so much...he seems to not get so tired like I do, but I am older then he is...:lol: I just hope I can get some work done with the pastels today..VERY sleepy...yawn...

I am going to take him in to the doctor at three, I think he has a sinuse infection...they are so packed up there they are having to just work him in...I image alot of illnesses going around this time of year...:(

God bless

chal
Dec 5th 2006, 07:20 PM
I think I should work on the angel more too myself actually...but I want to get these others done for church first. I am probably like you in I keep messing with my art...keep seeing things I think I need to fix...lol. Sometimes I 'fix' them to the point of ruining them though....:( so I have to be careful on that....:rolleyes:

Don't just "be careful." Make a copy and do the changes on the copy. That way you don't destroy the original. Get an opague projector, use a light table to trace it, or go to Kinkos and get some copies made, but please don't experiment on something that already looks so good.

CRIKEYhawk
Dec 5th 2006, 08:51 PM
I love it! But I have one problem, the back wing is missing from the peice, it should go straight back, like the front wing. But that's just an opinion. I love the way the swirl makes it look like she's spinning in place. :D Very good peice of work!

:monkeyd: Go on, :spin: you deserve a bit of fun...

365_days_gone
Dec 5th 2006, 11:06 PM
oops...I'm the only one to say anything other than "I like it"...sorry...I think it's better now than my initial impression.:hug:

Pilgrimtozion
Dec 5th 2006, 11:16 PM
I'm very impressed, moonglow. Painting is not one of my talents and so I have a lot of respect for people like you, who can paint. I voted to keep working on it, because though I am not the expert, it seems as though you could do stuff even more beautiful than this if you keep it up! If this is just a practice run...well sister, bring it on and keep it coming!

miepie
Dec 6th 2006, 12:45 AM
My option was not on there either.... I voted "I like it", but I wanted to vote "I love it!" If you ever need a home for her, I'd be proud to have it hanging on my wall! :hug:

Love you,
Mieke :kiss:

CML
Dec 6th 2006, 01:16 AM
I don't know if you've ever heard of Joni Erikson Tada, but she is paralyzed (from her waist down I believe) and paints with her mouth. Talent comes from within.

I listen to Joni on the radio frequently. She's an amazing, lovely woman of God.

Diggindeeper
Dec 8th 2006, 08:29 AM
Julie...I absolutely love it! I like the coloring, the blending, the lighting...I would love one too! She would find a prominent place to hang in my house!

A long time ago, I had a scholarship to go to an art school in Atlanta, Georgia. But, I fell head over heels for the man who became my husband, and I did not go to take advantage of the scholarship.. :cry: My dad was transferred out of state, so we fast forwarded our wedding date and I stayed behind with a new husband while my family moved off and left me.

I had no idea you were so talented! Hope to see your wise men!

Pastor Dennis
Dec 8th 2006, 11:35 AM
It's absolutely beeeautiful. I'm usually more than a bit nervous of representations of angels - but this one won my heart... (and mind!)
Thank you for sharing it.

Beloved by God
Dec 23rd 2006, 06:02 AM
I really do like it.

I wish I can create things like that with my hands.

skc53
Feb 7th 2007, 11:54 AM
I like the picture. You did a great job.;)

PeterJ
Feb 7th 2007, 03:56 PM
I would love to see more, you are talented, you could make money from it :)

moonglow
Feb 7th 2007, 07:50 PM
These were taken with my cellphone camera so aren't the greatest plus its really difficult for me to keep my hand steady enough so they aren't totally clear...and the pictures are rather small. I tried getting some close ups of the painting (did this years ago before my shaky hand got so bad)...In fact I might have done it when I was majoring in art in college...the date on it is 1988...:o gee that makes me feel old! whaaaa

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/moonglow45/painting3.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/moonglow45/painting2.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/moonglow45/painting.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/moonglow45/painting4.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n119/moonglow45/painting5.jpg

now that last one shows the colors more intensely .. I thought it might give a better feel for the colors there. The cell phone was kind of washing out the colors in most of the pictures. The object of this painting was doing a study on color intensity without getting glaring or harsh with them...and my art teacher had this thing about doing underwashes of color over and over and over again to give the painting depth...personally I didn't see it...oh well.

This was done with acrylic paints only (that I can remember anyway...:lol: )

God bless

tigers
May 11th 2007, 05:58 AM
Very beautiful. You are very talented.

Diggindeeper
May 11th 2007, 07:31 AM
Yes, You sure are talented, Moonglow!

I love your paintings! Would love to see them in real life!

Frances
May 12th 2007, 05:53 PM
i like it as it is - it would be spoilt by any more detail.

Befaithful
May 12th 2007, 10:06 PM
Moonglow your paintings are amazing.

I do not know what your specific thought was describing the paintings. It is like you are being lifted up in prayer and the hand of the Lord is reaching out to you, in answer.:pray: :pray: :pray:

Simply beautiful.:hug: Thank you for sharing them. :kiss:

HisGrace
May 15th 2007, 12:54 AM
Moonglow your paintings are amazing.
I totally agree..:)