PDA

View Full Version : Rebuking Satan

JenniferBerry
Feb 25th 2007, 06:29 PM
Is it biblical for us to rebuke Satan in this way?

“I rebuke you Satan.”

Jude 8 Yet in the same manner these men, also by dreaming, defile the flesh, and reject authority, and revile angelic majesties.
9 But Michael the archangel, when he disputed with the devil and argued about the body of Moses, did not dare pronounce against him a railing judgment, but said, "The Lord rebuke you."

And is there punishment if we practice this?

Jude 10 But these men revile the things which they do not understand; and the things which they know by instinct, like unreasoning animals, by these things they are destroyed.

Skullsike
Feb 25th 2007, 06:57 PM
Dont talk to satan!:B

JenniferBerry
Feb 25th 2007, 07:10 PM
Dont talk to satan!:B

I guess that would be the safest way to go....:lol:

ChristopherE
Feb 25th 2007, 08:27 PM
Good question. I'd say if we do it as you first stated we are in danger of the following happening as well:

Act 19:13 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth.
Act 19:14 And there were seven sons of [one] Sceva, a Jew, [and] chief of the priests, which did so.
Act 19:15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?
Act 19:16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.

Those exorcists had no relationship with Jesus Christ, that's why they said, "whom Paul preacheth". They were attempting to cast out the demon for their own glory, not to the Glory of God. Therefor, the evil spirit refused their words since there was no power (Christ's power) in them.

Beloved by God
Feb 25th 2007, 08:38 PM
I think Christopher is right. Those who DON'T have a relationship with Christ should not try to cast out demons, because they can't stand against him. But as for those who have Jesus in their hearts, a sign of his followers is that they will cast out demons.

Love123
Feb 25th 2007, 10:02 PM
We are weak while God is strong.
Still ...You are of God and He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.
(1 John 4:4)

We have no authority over Satan say for Christ.
We are to rebuke Satan in the Name of Christ;

“In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ Satan I rebuke you.”
Demons flee at the Name of Christ; He is our stenghth and power.

There is just something about that Name Jesus…

Phil. 2:10 (KJV) “That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;”

Isaiah 30:17
One thousand shall flee at the rebuke of one;
at the rebuke of five shall ye flee:
till ye be left as a beacon upon the top of a mountain, and as an ensign on an hill.

Deuteronomy 32:30
How should *one chase a *thousand, and *two put *ten-thousand to flight, except their Rock had sold them, and the Lord had shut them up?

Joshua 23:10
One man of you shall chase a thousand: for the Lord your God,
he it is that fighteth for you, as he hath promised you.

Another way to deal with Demons is to Bind them in Jesus in Name….
It’s a strong hold.

Matthew 18:18
Verily I say unto you,
Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven:
and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Praise Jesus there is something about that Name...*Jesus

God Bless

ChristopherE
Feb 25th 2007, 10:16 PM
“In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ Satan I rebuke you.”
Demons flee at the Name of Christ; He is our stenghth and power.

There is just something about that Name Jesus…
Praise Jesus there is something about that Name...*Jesus

what is that something?

I mean, in the scriptural example I posted above, the exorcists said the name: "saying, We adjure you by Jesus "

It would seem they said the magic word, yet the demons didn't flee. So what is it?

karenoka27
Feb 25th 2007, 11:18 PM
"But my eyes are fixed on you, O Sovereign LORD; in you I take refuge—do not give me over to death." Psalm 141:8

When you read Job you see that God allowed Satan to do certain things. Nothing can happen without God's knowledge. Therefore don't give Satan any credit by taking your eyes off of the Lord and looking around not even to rebuke him....

"Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."1 peter 5:8

Pilgrimtozion
Feb 26th 2007, 12:11 AM
what is that something?

I mean, in the scriptural example I posted above, the exorcists said the name: "saying, We adjure you by Jesus "

It would seem they said the magic word, yet the demons didn't flee. So what is it?

Finish that Scripture and you will see that they try to cast out demons by the name of Jesus, whom Paul preaches. Jesus is not a good luck charm to be used at will. The sons of Sceva obviously had no personal relationship with God. They saw the power and thought they could use it without placing their own lives under the authority of Christ. A fatal mistake...

Love123
Feb 26th 2007, 12:59 AM
what is that something?

Jesus is our Glorious all-powerful mighty True Living God...The King of kings and Lord of Lords, our Savior... The way the Truth and the Life...The Giver of Life.

The Alpha and the Omega …the beginning and the End.
At at that Holy Precious Name of Jesus every knee should bow,
of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

Yes my friend there is something about that Name Jesus.
__________________________________________________ _
Something About The Name Jesus Lyrics (Kirk Franklin Lyrics)

Like the fragrance after the rain
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus

There's just something about that name
Master, Savior, Jesus

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus

Let all heaven and earth proclaim

Kings and kingdoms will all pass away

But there's just something about that name

[chorus:] There is something about the name Jesus
Something about the name Jesus. It is the sweetest name I know
Oh how I love the name Jesus, Oh how I love the name Jesus
It is the sweetest name I know.

God Bless*

ProjectPeter
Feb 26th 2007, 01:07 AM
what is that something?

Actually they said the Jesus which Paul preaches. There was no authority in that at all. So I figure that was their big issue. Nothing that leads us to believe they were Christian at all... just Jewish excorsist who saw the success (for lack of a better word here) that the apostles had in casting out demons. Perhaps they figured they would give it a whirl. When they came across a real demon... they got their fannies whipped.

ProjectPeter
Feb 26th 2007, 01:08 AM
Finish that Scripture and you will see that they try to cast out demons by the name of Jesus, whom Paul preaches. Jesus is not a good luck charm to be used at will. The sons of Sceva obviously had no personal relationship with God. They saw the power and thought they could use it without placing their own lives under the authority of Christ. A fatal mistake...
Ha... should have read further down. Yeah... exactly. :lol:

ProjectPeter
Feb 26th 2007, 01:10 AM
Jesus is our Glorious all-powerful mighty True Living God...The King of kings and Lord of Lords, our Savior... The way the Truth and the Life...The Giver of Life.

Yes my friend there is something about that Name Jesus.
__________________________________________________ _
Something About The Name Jesus Lyrics (Kirk Franklin Lyrics)

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus

There's just something about that name
Master, Savior, Jesus

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus

Let all heaven and earth proclaim

Kings and kingdoms will all pass away

But there's just something about that name

[chorus:] There is something about the name Jesus
Something about the name Jesus. It is the sweetest name I know
Oh how I love the name Jesus, Oh how I love the name Jesus
It is the sweetest name I know.

God Bless*But then I think the point being... it isn't a magic word that we toss out and wooops, there it is! Problem solved. It is much deeper than just the name if you will.

TEITZY
Feb 26th 2007, 01:43 AM

“I rebuke you Satan.”

Jude 8 Yet in the same manner these men, also by dreaming, defile the flesh, and reject authority, and revile angelic majesties.
9 But Michael the archangel, when he disputed with the devil and argued about the body of Moses, did not dare pronounce against him a railing judgment, but said, "The Lord rebuke you."

Jude 10 But these men revile the things which they do not understand; and the things which they know by instinct, like unreasoning animals, by these things they are destroyed.

There is not one NT example of an Apostle or Christian rebuking satan directly. Certainly they cast out many "evil spirits" or demons but they never addressed satan.

If satan can be despatched with a simple rebuke in Jesus' name I wonder why Paul bothered telling believers to "Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand (Eph 6:11-13).

After all, who needs armour and who needs to "wrestle" when one can simply speak the word and dismiss the adversary? What did James say?

Jam 4:7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

Note it says "Resist the devil" not rebuke the devil and he will flee from you. Peter gives similar advice also (1 Pet 5:8-9).

IMO, too many Christians spend too much time worrying about or 'rebuking satan' to the detriment of themselves and other believers. Reminds me of a story of a man who was walking past a church one Sunday and saw satan sitting outside crying. Amazed the man approaches satan and asks him, "What's wrong?" Sobbing, satan looks up to the man and says, "They're blaming me for everything in there".

Cheers
Leigh

ChristopherE
Feb 26th 2007, 02:04 AM

Yes my friend there is something about that Name Jesus. . .

While making me smile, I think you missed my point :P . . . What is it about the name that makes it effective in our lives, and case in point, effective in casting out demons. We can't just say "Jesus" and think the demons will fear the sound of the syllables. It didn't work for the sons of Sceva. I like what Pilgrimtozion said:

especially about placing their own lives under the authority of Christ. And ProjectPeter reiterates what I said above.

Perhaps you might elaborate on what the "something" is for you. Do you have more thoughts on the "something" that is about the name beyond singing that there is "just something"? ;) What is that something to you?

Silent Wings
Feb 26th 2007, 03:03 AM

Yes my friend there is something about that Name Jesus

God Bless*

I have no doubt from your testimony that you are one child of God Satan would do well not to mess with.

God bless you also

Alabama Larry in K
Feb 26th 2007, 03:21 AM
Yes, when he temps us. I rebuke him daily. And its easy to do. But I must do it daily.

Love123
Feb 27th 2007, 02:53 AM
But then I think the point being... it isn't a magic word that we toss out and wooops, there it is! Problem solved. It is much deeper than just the name if you will.

No my friend its not magic or trickery; far from the magic.
Magic is associated with Satan and Demons.

There is something about that name.
How many ways can I express the power in the Blood?
I have tried to show the Glory of God.

Another word I can use which…. there seem to be no words on earth to label our Glorious God.
This time I will say one word… MAGESTIC.

God Bless*

Love123
Feb 27th 2007, 03:02 AM
I have no doubt from your testimony that you are one child of God Satan would do well not to mess with.

God bless you also

Silent Wings you are refreshing!!!
Praise Jesus for another in the Lord with eyes to see and ears to hear.
May the Lord continue to Bless your Spirit in the richness and fullness of the Lord!

God Bless*

jiggyfly
Feb 27th 2007, 10:40 AM
James 4:7-9
7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. 9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. 10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

To attempt an authoritive action towards satan without first being completely submitted to God is useless. If a husband does not love his wife then he is not submitted to God. If a wife is not submitted to her husband then she is not submitted to God. If a person does not respect and show honor to their parents then they are not submitted to God. Seems that today you can find many "christians" resisting the devil but very few who are submitting to God.

Brother Mark
Aug 9th 2007, 08:40 PM

“I rebuke you Satan.”

I think the idea here was that Satan use to be Michael's authority in heaven. As such, he would not rebuke him. For me, this passage is about rebelling against authority and a warning that we should never rebuke our authority, even if they are a former authority or if they are wrong. We can appeal to them but no one should openly rebuke an authority figure.

Now, once a matter is established, the church can openly rebuke an elder.

Just my 2 cents... :D

A820djd
Aug 9th 2007, 08:48 PM
Instead of hiding from satan ask Jesus for the strength to fight back. :)