PDA

View Full Version : How narrow is the gate?

Roman
Sep 7th 2003, 08:05 AM
jesus said "narrow is the gate and difficult is the way that leads to life". However, all Europe was Christian up untill 19th century. So were they lacking something? John 3:16 tells us that ALL who beleve go to heaven. So since the gate is narrow, obviously most people are not the true believers. Given that there are so many different denominations, how can one be confident that their respective denomination is the true one? I mean, everyone thinks they are on the right, but given that the gate is narrow, this is collective impossibility.

alonenomore2
Sep 7th 2003, 11:22 AM
Do the math.How many people have lived and died since the beginning?How many will go to heaven?Were some lacking?
I don't know with any certainty,but I think the "inquisition" just
to name one instance,was lacking a great deal.
The narrow gate is the only true way to salvation.His grace is
broad though.

Tom Lessing
Sep 7th 2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Roman
jesus said "narrow is the gate and difficult is the way that leads to life". However, all Europe was Christian up untill 19th century. So were they lacking something? John 3:16 tells us that ALL who beleve go to heaven. So since the gate is narrow, obviously most people are not the true believers. Given that there are so many different denominations, how can one be confident that their respective denomination is the true one? I mean, everyone thinks they are on the right, but given that the gate is narrow, this is collective impossibility.

Indeed, the gate is strait and the way is narrow that leads to life and there are but few that find it. The majority do not find the strait gate and narrow way because they are so inconspicuous. They do not find it because they are not prepared to pay the price. Now don’t get me wrong. I’m not suggesting that we need to do something to earn our salvation. Paying the price means to relinquish or abdicate your whole life in favour of His lordship over your life; to deny yourself, take up your cross and to follow Him. The way is so narrow because there is only room for one Person’s will; one Person’s yoke and one Person’s way - Jesus Christ. Therefore we are advised to follow Him and not He us.

Tom

Roman
Sep 7th 2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Tom Lessing
Now don’t get me wrong. I’m not suggesting that we need to do something to earn our salvation. Paying the price means to relinquish or abdicate your whole life in favour of His lordship over your life; to deny yourself, take up your cross and to follow Him.

The notion of denying myself is one thing I struggle with. It seems like a notion of salvation by works taken to the extreme. If salvation is by faith then what is the price you have to pay?

Tom Lessing
Sep 7th 2003, 02:32 PM
The notion of denying myself is one thing I struggle with. It seems like a notion of salvation by works taken to the extreme. If salvation is by faith then what is the price you have to pay?

I was afraid you might misunderstand me even though I said "Now don’t get me wrong. I’m not suggesting that we need to do something to earn our salvation." Indeed salvation is by faith alone in Christ alone by Christ alone. The strait gate and narrow way is not something a saint happens to stumble on unawares during his Christian sojourn. The strait gate and narrow way is to be found right at the very beginning of salvation. The parable of the sower in Matthew 13 explains why so few find the strait gate and narrow way. Two main reasons are given. The one is that affliction and persecution repels those whose hearts are like thin rocky soil. The other is that the cares of this world, its pleaures, delights, glamour and deceitful riches choke and suffocate the Word falling among thorns. The heart of a person who realizes he has no righteousness of his own and has nothing good in himself is the good soil that receives the seed in good measure and begins to bring forth abundant fruit.

Denying oneself and taking up your cross (dying to self) is something every saint struggles with. However, Jesus will never give a command if He thought it were impossible for us to obey. The very fact that we struggle so much should drive us out to Him ever so more, beseeching Him to have mercy on us in our daily walk with Him.

Tom

Tom

Ta-An
Sep 7th 2003, 07:06 PM
Ever heard the song that talks about laying down even your talents to fit through the gate........ Now that is narrow..... I think it means to die to 'self'..,
So I agree with Tom :)

MrsHawk
Sep 8th 2003, 02:01 AM
As far as denominations, don't worry about that. The narrow road is between you and Christ.
I think it is more 'do they know about Christ' or 'do they know Christ' that makes a difference.

P.P.P.
Sep 8th 2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by MrsHawk
As far as denominations, don't worry about that. The narrow road is between you and Christ.
I think it is more 'do they know about Christ' or 'do they know Christ' that makes a difference.

Exellent point!! I like the way you stated that! ;)

kbow
Sep 9th 2003, 03:31 PM
Jesus said I am the way the life and the truth. No one comes to the Father but by Me.

He is the narrow way. No one can go to Heaven any other way. Our wolrd likes to tell us that if you are a good person or if you tithe, or if you go to church. There are a billion different theories out there. Which is the broad way that leads to destruction. Jesus being the only way narrows it down. It's by His grace through our faith that we are saved. Not by works or anything else. His work on the cross paid for it!

Roman
Sep 9th 2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by kbow
Jesus said I am the way the life and the truth. No one comes to the Father but by Me.

He is the narrow way. No one can go to Heaven any other way. Our wolrd likes to tell us that if you are a good person or if you tithe, or if you go to church. There are a billion different theories out there. Which is the broad way that leads to destruction. Jesus being the only way narrows it down. It's by His grace through our faith that we are saved. Not by works or anything else. His work on the cross paid for it!

1)If narrow gate is faith, the how do you explain "difficult is the way"?

2)Also, how do you explain "few will find it"? The number of Christians is far from few.

kbow
Sep 9th 2003, 06:36 PM
We live in a day of if I can't see it or if it tells me there is something wrong with me we tend not to believe it. Few will find it compared to those who will not. Unfortunately there will be many who will reject Jesus and not get saved. It's simple yet so many ignore it. I believe that some point in everyone's life that lives to the age of accountability that Jesus lets them know that they should be saved.

Solstice061
Sep 11th 2003, 05:32 AM
If narrow gate is faith, the how do you explain "difficult is the way"?

The gate is your faith: once you believe, you are saved. But in order to have true faith - to get in the gate - you have to leave behind all your baggage, such as the attitude that you simply don't need God, because the gate is narrow. This is very hard and, relatively speaking, few people are able to do it

The way is difficult because, as earthly beings, it's difficult to deny our earthly desires. Paul talks about this. But I think that if we keep our faith, God will strengthen us as we walk this path, and the path will become less and less difficult.

Or so it seems to me. There are many ways of looking at this verse though.

Tom Lessing
Sep 13th 2003, 07:15 AM
ENTER THROUGH THE NARROW GATE
PART 1

INTRODUCTION
Matthew 7:13, 14
13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

It seems simple enough to answer the question why the gate and the road to destruction are so wide and broad. However, to give a satisfactory answer to the question why the gate and the road to eternal life are so small and narrow is perhaps a little more complex.
The Gospel of Jesus Christ has been watered down to a “you-only-have-to-believe-in-Jesus-Christ” doctrine while the majority of so-called believers continue to pursue their own will and desires in the world. Virtually every person you ask the question “do you believe in Jesus” these days, answers, “yes! A program was screened on TV a few months ago where a sangoma (witch doctor) was asked whether she believed in Christ. “Yes” she answered, “I am a Christian and I believe in Jesus. He helps me to make my medicine.” To believe in Jesus has become common practice in our so-called enlightened age. Even the homosexuals or the gays, as they prefer to be called, have their own church and they firmly maintain that they believe in Jesus Christ. According to statistics 70 to 80% of the population of South Africa are Christians who say they believe in Christ. This compels one to examine this Biblical truth more closely. Yes! Of course we must believe in Jesus Christ. Nevertheless, the kind of faith the Bible teaches, is a faith that can only and must only be practiced on the narrow road. Faith in God ultimately means to follow Jesus Christ and this can only take place on the narrow road. Consider for a moment the words “many enter through it” and “only a few find it”. There is no need “to find” the road to destruction. The many that enter through it are already on this road and includes every single human being who has as yet not received Jesus Christ as their Savior. In contrast to this, the gate and the road to eternal life need to be found. No one automatically stumbles upon it or travels on it by chance. It dramatically turns away and deviates from the broad road, and because the gate that leads onto the narrow road is so small and strait, only a few find it. Sojourners on the wide road are so captivated by their own so-called freedom; they are so engrossed in their own self-will that they fail to even notice the small gate and the narrow road.
Let us now take a closer look at the small gate and the narrow road. Why, then, is this gate so narrow? Perhaps there are many reasons, but the main one, I believe, is because there is no room or space allowed for you to take with you your own will and desires. I say this mainly on account of what Jesus teaches in Luke 9:23, “Then He said to them all: “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. To deny one’s self means to forget it, lose sight of one’s own interests.
It is impossible to enter through the small gate and travel on the narrow road if you intend to obey your own will and desires. To understand this more clearly, we must turn to the first part of verse 6 in Isaiah 53.

6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way;

The road here is described by the word “own”. Let’s take a look at a few things that describe this “own road”

CHARACTERISTICS OF THE “OWN” WAY

THE “OWN” WAY IS A ROAD OF SELF-INDULGENCE
Someone who follows his own road naturally follows his own desires and will. He chooses to follow his “own road” because he rejects the road or way that God intends for him to travel. He boasts that he can inherit eternal life on his own merits. God’s road for His creatures is a road of obedience to His commands, submission to His will, and an unconditional love for Him. His road is one on which His Son is Lord and Master of your life and who leads the way as your Good Shepherd. People travel on their own road, because they have rejected God’s commands, they refuse to bow to God’s will and they love themselves more than God. The apostle Paul says in 2 Timothy 3 verses 1 to 4 “But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God. On the broad road, people say, “we do whatever we wish, wherever we like and whenever we like. No one is going to tell us what to do”. People who travel on their own road refuse to have Jesus as their King.

THE “OWN” WAY IS A ROAD OF DECEPTION
Deceitfulness or deception also characterizes this so-called “own road”. Let’s turn to Proverbs 14:12”There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. People who travel on their own road firmly believe that they are on their way to heaven. Let’s look at some examples. Many people believe that they will go to heaven because they have been baptized again. Some say they are sure that they are on their way to heaven because they do so many great things for God (Matthew 7:22). If it were possible to earn eternal life by doing all these things, then Jesus’ death on the cross and His resurrection from the dead was unnecessary. Please allow me to warn you about people who come to you saying that Jesus’ crucifixion is not enough for your salvation. They usually would not deny that you do need Jesus, but that you also need — for instance, to speak in tongues, to be baptized again, to be slain in the Spirit, etc. The Bible warns us that we would be punished if we add or take away anything from His Word. (Revelation 22: 18 & 19).

We should bear in mind that the Bible refers to these two different gates and roads in a spiritual sense, and we need to examine them from a spiritual perspective if we want to arrive at a satisfactory answer. In the quest for an answer, we need to examine two things that have an enormous impact on the lives of people.

REASONS WHY SO FEW FIND THE NARROW GATE
There are two main reasons why so few find the small gate and the narrow way.

THE DESIRES OF THE WORLD
1 John 2:15-17
15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. 17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

According to the above Scripture verse the desires of the world may be summarized in three different sub-headings.

THE LUST OF THE FLESH.
The lust of the flesh is completely at variance with the desires of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:16-18) for it cannot please God (Romans 5:5-8). For a dreadful list of ‘the works of the flesh’, see Gal. 5:19-21. The flesh in this sense denotes the whole personality of man as organized in the wrong direction, as directed to worldly pursuits rather than the service of God. We are solemnly warned that the whole world lies in the power of the evil one (1 John 5:19b). With this in mind it is not at all too difficult to understand why God deems it necessary to remove His redeemed ones completely out of the kingdom of darkness, and translating them into the kingdom of His Son Whom He loves (Colossians 1:13).

Many Christians believe that they may frequent the pleasure domes of the world — rave parties, dancehalls, etc — because it provides them with an opportunity to witness to the world. Jesus said, “If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honor. We cannot expect Jesus to follow us wherever we want to go just because we think it is kosher to go wherever we like and just because there is nothing wrong with a little worldly enjoyment according to our liking.

THE LUST OF THE EYES.
The gratification of the lust of the eyes led to the downfall of the whole human race. (Genesis 3:6). Since that tragic event the lust of the eyes has been instrumental in man’s enslavement to sin and the most devastating wars in human history (James 4:1-3). We are admonished to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2). If we are to keep our eyes fixed on Him, then we should steadfastly remain on the narrow way for this is where He is to be found (John 12:26)

THE PRIDE OF LIFE.
Pride was the downfall of Satan (Isaiah 14:12-15) and humility the exaltation of Christ (Philippians 2:5-9) No wonder God resists the pride and exalts the humble for it ultimately determines in whose image you are being fashioned (1 Peter 5:5, 6).

"He that is down needs fear no fall;
He that is low, no pride:
He that is humble, ever shall
Have God to be his guide.
I am content with what I have,
Little be it or much;
And, Lord, contentment still I crave,
Because thou savest such.
Fullness to such, a burden is,
That go on pilgrimage;
Here little, and hereafter bliss,
Is best from Age to Age."

Tom

Tom Lessing
Sep 13th 2003, 07:17 AM
ENTER THROUGH THE NARROW GATE
PART 2

COMPLACENCY OR A FALSE SENSE OF CONTENTMENT AND PEACE
Of all the things already mentioned that cause sinners to miss the small gate and the narrow road, complacency or a false sense of contentment and peace is the most dangerous, simply because it is so devilishly deceitful. Complacency deceives one into believing that he is wise while he is in fact ignorant, that his eyes see but they are actually blind, that he lacks nothing but in reality is spiritually poor. The last of the apostle John's letters to ‘the seven churches of Asia’ (Rev. 3:14-22) clearly testifies to this. Laodicea was at a very important cross-road: the main road across Asia Minor ran West to the ports of Miletus and Ephesus about 160 km away and East by an easy incline on to the central plateau and thence towards Syria; and another road ran North to Pergamum and South to the coast at Attalia. This strategic position made Laodicea an extremely prosperous commercial centre, especially under Roman rule. When destroyed by a disastrous earthquake in AD 60 (Tacitus, Ann. 14. 27) it could afford to dispense with aid from Nero. It was an important centre of banking and exchange (cf. Cicero, ad Fam. 3. 5. 4, etc.). Its distinctive products included garments of glossy black wool (Strabo, Geog. 12. 8. 16 [578]), and it was a medical centre noted for ophthalmology. The site had one disadvantage: being determined by the road-system, it lacked a sufficient and permanent supply of good water. Water was piped to the city from hot springs some distance South, and probably arrived lukewarm. The deposits still encrusting the remains testify to its warmth. The site of Laodicea was eventually abandoned, and the modern town (Denizli) grew up near the springs. For all its wealth, it could produce neither the healing power of hot water, like its neighbor Hierapolis, nor the refreshing power of cold water to be found at Colossae, but merely lukewarm water, useful only as an emetic. The church was charged with a similar uselessness: it was self-sufficient, rather than half-hearted. Like the city, it thought it had ‘need of nothing’. In fact it was spiritually poor, naked and blind, and needed ‘gold’, ‘white garments’ and ‘eye salve’ more effective than its bankers, clothiers and doctors could supply. Like citizens inhospitable to a traveler who offers them priceless goods, the Laodiceans had closed their doors and left their real Provider outside. Christ turns in loving appeal to the individual (v. 20).

Jesus did not only say that the gate and road that leads to eternal life is small and narrow. He also said that there are few that find it. To find something you must first seek or look for it and it is true that most people, if not all, are seeking ways of entering into heaven. This is the reason why there are so many religions in the world today. Each of these religions believes that it has the right gate and the right road to heaven. Jesus even once said that evil men are trying to take the kingdom of heaven by force (Matthew 11:12). By this He meant that evil men try to gain eternal life by trying to force their own way of entering into heaven on people because they reject Jesus as the only door to everlasting life. (John 14:6). Why do only a few people find the small gate and the narrow road that leads to eternal life? We have already discussed one of these reasons by pointing out that they are following their own way because they reject God’s way into heaven.

There are two further main reasons why so few people find the small gate and the narrow road.

THEY DO NOT WANT JESUS TO BE KING OR LORD OF THEIR LIVES
A king is a person who has sovereign rule and authority over his kingdom and every subject who lives in his kingdom. A subject or citizen is a person who willingly and lovingly submits to the authority of his king and obediently follows him. To be born again does not only mean that you receive everlasting life through Jesus Christ. It also means that you have been taken out of the kingdom of darkness of the devil and placed in the kingdom of the Son He loves here on this earth. (Colossians 1:13). Although the children of God are still living on this earth, they are no longer citizens of this world. They have become citizens of a New Kingdom where Jesus Christ is the Sovereign Lord and King (Ephesians 2:19).

THEY PREFER TO WALK IN DARKNESS BECAUSE THEY HATE THE LIGHT
Most people refuse to respond to the command of God to repent. Why? Jesus Himself gives us the answer in John 3:19,20
19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.
God says in His word that no one will be able to say, “I did not know”, at the final Day of Judgment. Most of the people will be lost for all eternity, not because they did not know the way of salvation. They will be cast into hell because they refused to come to the light. They preferred the darkness because they loved it. They hated the light. One of the most devastating lies the devil whispers into the ears and minds of people is that God is a “God of love” and will never allow anyone to perish in a place like hell. God is not merely a “God of love”—He is love. Allow me to ask you. Have you ever heard of a happily married couple where only one of the partners shows love? It is ridiculous to think that a relationship between a man and a woman can exist if only one of them showed his or her love. God loves the entire world, but His love wants to draw you into an everlasting relationship with Him. His love wants to coax you, woo you into loving Him with all your soul, your entire mind and all your strength. He wants to drive out the darkness and introduce Light into your life. This may sound strange, but it is true when I say that even God’s love will never benefit you if you do not respond to His love. In 2 Corinthians 4:6 we read: —
6 For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.

SUMMARY
To summarize what was already said; we could say that the gate and road to heaven is small and narrow because there is no room or space to take with you your own will and desires. People, who want to enter through the small gate and travel on the narrow road, must realize that there is only room or space for one person’s will on this road — the will of Jesus Christ. Sin is to follow your own way, your own desires and will. Everyone who travels his own way is actually saying to God, “I do not need you. I do not need your salvation and guidance. I am capable of following my own way and to reach heaven in my own strength”. Jesus was moved with pity when He saw the multitudes of people because they were like sheep without a shepherd. (Mark 6:34). In Old Testament times sheep could not be left alone in the wilderness. They needed a shepherd to protect them and lead them to pastures where they could find food for nourishment. Without a shepherd they were lost and helpless against any attacks by wild animals. King David when he was a young boy knew what it meant to be a shepherd. He often used his staff to ward off or kill wild animals that wanted to attack his sheep. People who follow their own way have no shepherd. They are lost and helpless.

Tom

Roman
Sep 13th 2003, 07:34 AM
Tom Lessing, I see what you are saying. I have thought about it a lot, and one thing that bothers me about it is-- does ANY of us REALLY "deny ourselfs" even if we *say* we do? I mean take you for example. You clearly realize that we have to put all of our earthy things away. But still... do you have job? Well, a job is an earthy thing, and given that you are tryig to earn money, you aren't strictly speaking "denying yourselfes".

I have read the verse in John you are referring to. And once again, I am not one of teh people who love money or food-- actually none of those things really matter to me as long as I survive. HOWEVER, it DOES make me good that I am in graduate school and am studying physics. I DO take pleasure in doing physics. So does the verse imply that the gate is too narrow to fit my graduate school in-- that is, I should drop out of school?

Those are actually serious questions because as the verse says, the gate is narrow, and also Jesus said something alone the line "how many of you lost houses for my sake?" So I hope you can help me with that.

Tom Lessing
Sep 13th 2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Solstice061
If narrow gate is faith, the how do you explain "difficult is the way"?

The gate is your faith: once you believe, you are saved. But in order to have true faith - to get in the gate - you have to leave behind all your baggage, such as the attitude that you simply don't need God, because the gate is narrow. This is very hard and, relatively speaking, few people are able to do it

The way is difficult because, as earthly beings, it's difficult to deny our earthly desires. Paul talks about this. But I think that if we keep our faith, God will strengthen us as we walk this path, and the path will become less and less difficult.

Or so it seems to me. There are many ways of looking at this verse though.

I am not very happy with the translation, "difficult is the way." According to the Enhanced Strong's Lexicon the word "thlibo" means -
1) to press (as grapes), press hard upon
2) a compressed way
2a) narrow straitened, contracted
3) metaph. to trouble, afflict, distress

If we take into account that even one's own dearest loved ones (father, mother, wife, husband, son, daughter etc) most often turn their backs on you when you receive Jesus as your Savior, it becomes very clear why this road is so compressed. In Muslim communities it is lawful (acoording the the Koran) to kill a family member who has turned to Christ for salvation. In Jewish communities family members are disowned and even banished from their homes when they become Christians.

Jesus said, "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it." (matthew 10: 37, 38).

To find the strait gate and narrow way is to find your life and to find it you must be prepred to lose it in behalf of Christ.

Tom

Tom Lessing
Sep 13th 2003, 09:26 AM
Tom Lessing, I see what you are saying. I have thought about it a lot, and one thing that bothers me about it is-- does ANY of us REALLY "deny ourselfs" even if we *say* we do? I mean take you for example. You clearly realize that we have to put all of our earthy things away. But still... do you have job? Well, a job is an earthy thing, and given that you are tryig to earn money, you aren't strictly speaking "denying yourselfes".

I have read the verse in John you are referring to. And once again, I am not one of teh people who love money or food-- actually none of those things really matter to me as long as I survive. HOWEVER, it DOES make me good that I am in graduate school and am studying physics. I DO take pleasure in doing physics. So does the verse imply that the gate is too narrow to fit my graduate school in-- that is, I should drop out of school?

Those are actually serious questions because as the verse says, the gate is narrow, and also Jesus said something alone the line "how many of you lost houses for my sake?" So I hope you can help me with that.

Hi Roman,

Denying oneself does not mean that we are supposed to ostracize ourselves in terms of doing labor, studying, and caring for one’s family. Paul says in 1 Timothy 5: 8, “But if any provide not for his own, and especially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.” Earning money to provide for your brethren who need it for the advancement of the Gospel (missionaries) as well as for your own and your family’s daily sustenance is non-negotiable. There is no evil in money itself; it is the unduly craving for money that is evil.

We must always bear in mind that Jesus put forward two principles as a precondition to follow Him - denial and death – and the one cannot go without the other. We all know what it means to deny oneself. When a damsel came to Peter, saying, Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee, he denied before them all, saying, “I know not what thou sayest.” And a third time he emphatically denied that he knew Jesus. The overriding reason why Peter denied Jesus was because he was afraid to lose his life. He refused to acknowledge Jesus because it would cause him to suffer for his Name sake. Therefore, denial is not enough without the next step – to take up one’s cross. Many Christians misconstrue the term “to take up your cross” and equate it with all the ills and tribulations they often encounter in their Christian life. To “take up the cross” means only one thing – to die to one’s own will and desires. The cross of Christ must kill everything pertaining to the “self” in us so that God may accomplish His will in our lives. Can you now see why the “gospel of self-esteem,” so vigorously preached in many churches today, is so dangerous? I wrote an article a few years ago on what the “ego” of man is all about. Whenever I have the chance I would like to post it, for it may be of some assistance to others in understanding the dangers of our egos.

We as Christians may openly witness to others that we believe in Jesus Christ but we are often ashamed to take a firm stance when we are confronted with the things of the world. Let me give you an example. Many young Christians would rather accept their unsaved friends’ invitation to attend a dance than to suffer their ridicule. In 1 John 2: 15-17 we are exhorted, “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.”

You may ask, “Surely money, work, studying are all part of this world?” Of course they are but the the crux of the whole matter lies in the fact that you should not give precedence to all those things over God. In all those things God and His kingdom must come first in your life. He should take priority in all of those things. The parable of the talents (money) in Matthew 25 teaches us how we ought to be good stewards of the things he has entrusted to us for the advancement of His Kingdom.

So my dear Roman, continue your studies with all the diligence and strength at your disposal and give God the honor.

Tom

NLathrop
Sep 22nd 2003, 01:10 PM

What you are saying makes sense, and this is why the narrow road is difficult for most to travel. No one but God can say that your going to graduate school is your will or his. You say you take pleasure in doing physics, and nothing is wrong with taking pleasure or pride in what you do SO LONG as you do not let it override God's plan for your life. THis is what is meant by denying yourself. IF God told you, "Roman, I know you enjoy Physics, but I need you in Ministry, I need you to become a Minister and take My Word to South Africa" would you be willing to do so? Denying oneself also happens in smaller circumstances. Personally, I am not a morning person, I prefer to sleep in until 10 or 11. Yet every Sunday I am up at the crack of dawn to prepare for Church. I dey my physical desire of sleep for God's will. On Wednesday nights, I would prefer to stay home and watch TV or play computer games, but God's will has called me to teacha Girl's Youth Group at Church, and carpool 15 children to the activity. I deny my personal desires and preferences to do what God has called me to do. That is denying yourself. They only wy to determine God's will or plan for your life is to ask him. Pray in sincereity and he will point you to the path he has made for you.

Roman
Sep 22nd 2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by NLathrop
You say you take pleasure in doing physics, and nothing is wrong with taking pleasure or pride in what you do SO LONG as you do not let it override God's plan for your life.

But then how do you explain why the desciples were instructed not to bring any food at all?

By the way, does the fact that we earn more than $0 a month means that we aren't following the example set forth by the desciples?

NLathrop
Sep 23rd 2003, 11:33 AM
But then how do you explain why the desciples were instructed not to bring any food at all?

By the way, does the fact that we earn more than $0 a month means that we aren't following the example set forth by the desciples?

Jesus, in my humble opinion, instructed the disciples/apostles not to bring food or extra clothing to prove to them that He would provide if they only had faith in Him. There were many instances in the Gospels were the disciples still were not sure that Jesus was the Son of God, the Messiah. He provided proof time and time again to help reassure them. It seems to me like a classic example of the Christian belief, nothing is impossible through God, just believe in Him and you will have everything you need. God has provided nurishment to people of the Bible many times, ie. the Hebrews wandering in the desert for 40 years receiving manna twice a day. If God/Jesus can provide nurishment to their followers, why would they not take care of our other needs.

In regards to earning a living. The Bible doesn't speak against that. In actuallity, the Bible clearly says he that doesn't work shouldn't eat. I believe you are reading tooo deeply into the scriptures and not catching the real message they are trying to send. Biblical scriptures are not secret codes that must be deciphered. They are straight forward. When we read the Bible, we must be careful not to look for the hidden meaning or oversimplify what God was trying to tell/show us.

BadDog
Sep 23rd 2003, 02:11 PM
Roman,

I just spotted this thread & read through it. It seems that we've strayed from the question... never really dealt with it.

Matt. 7:13, 14 HCSB "Enter through the narrow gate; because the gate is wide and the road is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who go through it. How narrow is the gate and difficult the road that leads to life; and few find it."

When Jesus said that the way was narrow and difficult and that few go the way that leads to life He was speaking of eternal life, of course, but much more than that. He was speaking of living life to the fullest as well, IMO.

Jesus also said that He was the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Him. That may seem narrow, but there is no other provision for our sin - there is no other way.

There is a cross reference which speaks of the same thing:

Luke 13:23-27 HCSB "Lord," someone asked Him, "are there few being saved?" He said to them, "Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because I tell you, many will try to enter and won't be able once the homeowner gets up and shuts the door. Then you will stand outside and knock on the door, saying, 'Lord, open up for us!' He will answer you, 'I don't know you or where you're from.' Then you will say, 'We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets!' But He will say, 'I tell you, I don't know you or where you're from. Get away from Me, all you workers of unrighteousness!'"

Notice that when they asked Him if only a few will be saved that He refused to gratify their curiosity. You see, He knew that they needed to make sure that they themselves entered in through that narrow gate that leads to life. In John 10 Jesus said that He was that Gate. So you yourself, Roman, instead of being so concerned if or why so few may enter through that narrow gate, you just need to besure that you enter in through that gate.

You see, Roman, this has nothing to do with "living a good life," or "dying to self," or "not loving the things in the world," or "loving others more than Him."

The only way to the Father is through Christ - by faith in Him. Many of those things above are what Christians should do. They are not how you enter though the narrow gate - the narrow door.

You see, earlier Jesus explained that righteousness does not come through the wide gate... the broad road. It comes through the small gate... the narrow road." Notice below how Jesus says some very similar things to what He said in Luke 13 above about many saying, "Didn't we do great things for You?" But He'll say, "Depart from Me, I never knew you."

Matt. 5:19, 20 HCSB "Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches people to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven. But whoever practices and teaches these commandments will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you, unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

The broad road... the narrow gate is the way of the Pharisees - who thinks that his good deeds will earn for him a grand entrance into heaven - into the kingdom. But Jesus said that the gate is narrow and the way difficult that leads to eternal life.

You ask why he describes the way as difficult that leads to destruction? Tom was right on. Because it is so difficult for us to stop trying to earn our way into heaven & truly rely on Jesus' work in our behalf to save us.

Roman, you've been asking all kinds of questions about eternal life... about how to gain it. But you are not addressing what really matters - you seem to be attempting to get in there by the broad way - that way is strewn with the wasted lives of people who've insisted on "doing it their way." ("I Did It My Way.") The only Way is through Jesus Christ.

The broad way leads to destruction. The narrow gate and road referred to Jesus’ teaching, which said that there were no external requirements for entering into the kingdom, into heaven. This requires an internal transformation. Jesus insisted that few would find the true Way, the Way that leads to life... to heaven. Instead in their efforts to earn their way there they'd find, in contrast, the way of ruin or destruction in hell - this is the broad way.

Anyway, IMO that's what this passage is saying. You don't need a knowledge of how to live a life such that you can enter in... you need divine grace - that is the only way. And it is narrow, because we all tend to want to do it our own way, rather than let go of our pride and admit to our Savior that we need Him - that we just can't do it on our own.

Thx,

Roman
Sep 23rd 2003, 04:43 PM
Jesus, in my humble opinion, instructed the disciples/apostles not to bring food or extra clothing to prove to them that He would provide if they only had faith in Him. There were many instances in the Gospels were the disciples still were not sure that Jesus was the Son of God, the Messiah. He provided proof time and time again to help reassure them. It seems to me like a classic example of the Christian belief, nothing is impossible through God, just believe in Him and you will have everything you need. God has provided nurishment to people of the Bible many times, ie. the Hebrews wandering in the desert for 40 years receiving manna twice a day. If God/Jesus can provide nurishment to their followers, why would they not take care of our other needs.

But then how come today we don't expect God to provide food for us even when we don't work? I mean, like you said, nothing is impossible with God.

Roman
Sep 23rd 2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by BadDog
And it is narrow, because we all tend to want to do it our own way, rather than let go of our pride and admit to our Savior that we need Him - that we just can't do it on our own.

Thx,

But the fact is that 50% if Americans is Christian and most of them rely on God's grace rather than doing it their own way. So how can you say this is narrow?

BadDog
Sep 23rd 2003, 06:38 PM
But the fact is that 50% if Americans is Christian and most of them rely on God's grace rather than doing it their own way. So how can you say this is narrow? First of all - I do not believe that 50% of Americans are Christians... have trusted in Christ for eternal life. Remember that Roman Catholicism, for example, relies on faith PLUS works. Many who think that they are Christians will be surprised!

Also, notice that Jesus did not really address this question from Hisdisciples: "Will few besaved?" He didn't answer that question of His disciples. The way is narrow because we tend to want to do it our way. This is a difficult thing for most. It's "easier" to rely on our good works than to admit that we've failed and cry out for help.

For example, I was trying to help my youngest son in some Algebra last night. Now he tends to be a bit proud... no let me rephrase that: he can be realllly proud! :D

He adamantly insisted that the book was wrong, that his teacher was wrong, that I was wrong (I majored in math & physics)! Not until I could convince him, show him that he was thinking about the problem incorrectly, was he willing to allow me to teach him! And he's only 11 y.o.. I know, I'm going to have some fun time ahead with him!

We're often like that with God. We know that He knows more than we do... that He's right, but we insist on doing it our way anyway! That way leads to destruction.

BD

NLathrop
Sep 23rd 2003, 06:51 PM
But then how come today we don't expect God to provide food for us even when we don't work? I mean, like you said, nothing is impossible with God.

God does provide people with food, clothing and other essentials, even today. What I meant by that is someone who is able to work but refuses to. The disciples/apostles were working. They were directly doing God's work. God will help those who help themselves. He will not give hand-outs to those who refuse to follow His Word. God provides necessities to missionaries, ministers, etc all the time. I believe that scriptures says he draws the line at the lazy.

Roman
Sep 23rd 2003, 11:57 PM
God does provide people with food, clothing and other essentials, even today.

Then why don't we drop out from our jobs and spend the whole day just studying Bible and God will provide food for us? Even people who choose to do such a thing would acutally become ministers and get the church pay for them as opposed to just sitting at home and waiting for God to provide the food.

Teke
Nov 23rd 2003, 08:21 PM
Hi, thought I'd show what Jesus said...

Matt. 19:24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Illustration what He is saying. Many who read this verse picture in their mind's eye a camel trying to squeeze through the eye of a sewing needle which is not what the "eye of a needle" was. It was a small gate (the narrow way) in the surrounding wall of the city that one had to go through during the night when the main gate was closed for homeland security purposes.

For a camel to actually go through the eye of a needle it had to be completely unloaded of its "burden" and had to physically get down on its knees in order to pass through.

[25] When His disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

But... Jesus BEHELD them
[26] But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Sky
Nov 23rd 2003, 09:26 PM
narrow enough you can't take anything with you, not even your body.

Sherrie
Nov 23rd 2003, 09:28 PM

I think there have been some excellent post here on this. But if I may, I would like to add a little bit of lifestyle to this. It may help a little understanding more of the text in the scriptures provided:

There were 2 gates one could enter.

One was a Narrow Gate. Only one could enter at a time, and all could see who it was. You could not be someone full of tricks, falsehood, or a thief, or a enemy. Everyone would see you. You would be announced, and all would know you. Only one at a time would enter. And it was written down, that you had entered, and you were announced so that all would know you.

The Second Gate, was wide. If you did not have time to wait to get through the narrow gate, or had a cart, you would enter through this wide gate. You were not accounted for, and it was not written down you came through. So you were not announced, and nor were you known.

Now this wide gate was ideal for a thief or false prophet, or an enemy spying. He could dress up as a prophet, or distinguished person, and enter un-noticed to all. He could just blend, and be about the business of his desires. This is where wolves in sheep clothing comes from. Wolves come to rob the Shepherd of his lambs.

But Jesus said he was the Narrow Gate. Know one could enter Heaven without first going in through the Narrow Gate. Meaning we must all go through Jesus to get in. There is no Wide Gates in Heaven. We cannot sneak in. There are no wolves in Heaven. Our names are written down, and it will be announced to the Father who we are. If it is not written down, we will not enter.

I hope this helped.

Sherrie

Avegen
Nov 25th 2003, 12:46 AM
jesus said "narrow is the gate and difficult is the way that leads to life". However, all Europe was Christian up untill 19th century. So were they lacking something?

He is speaking somewhat metaphorically. Narrow is the gate. As in, not everyone will be able to get in. Christianity comes with restrictions, and not everyone follows them. Also, just because Europeans were labeled as Christians, doesn't mean they really were. Back then being called a Christian was like wearing a title. To them, being a Christian was the cool thing to do, to get high status and up in society; they didn't care what God's laws were that came along with accepting Jesus as the Savior. Remember, just because someone accepts that Jesus is the Savior, doesn't mean they accept His gift of salvation.

inquiringmind
Nov 26th 2003, 04:53 AM
He is speaking somewhat metaphorically. Narrow is the gate. As in, not everyone will be able to get in. Christianity comes with restrictions, and not everyone follows them. Also, just because Europeans were labeled as Christians, doesn't mean they really were. Back then being called a Christian was like wearing a title. To them, being a Christian was the cool thing to do, to get high status and up in society; they didn't care what God's laws were that came along with accepting Jesus as the Savior. Remember, just because someone accepts that Jesus is the Savior, doesn't mean they accept His gift of salvation.
I think this a very interesting thread. I wish I had found this message board sooner. It seems that things I have been throwing back and forth in my head for a long time are expanded upon and made clearer through a few posts.

cementedinchrist
Nov 27th 2003, 03:21 AM
Funny i should find such a post (not saying it is funny)very good actually.But i was doing a study you could say more of a comparision on the KJV and NKJV .NKJV is what i read from mostly but we find that in KJV wich was the first bible ever translated into english(doesnt make it any more correct) but in KJV we find that this verse is much different it says this Matt 7:14 (KJV) Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Matt 7:14 (NKJV "Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

That is one major problem i find with the NKJV and i say this because
There's nothing difficult about the salvation of jesus christ and we see this from our Lord him self
Jesus says in Matt. 11:30, "For my yoke is EASY, and my burden is light."

ONCE agin nothing against any Holy Bible but when we look at these to verses and the teaching of Christ Jesus i find the KJV to be more accurate (THIS OF COURSE IS MY OPION)

Roman
Nov 28th 2003, 07:22 PM
Illustration what He is saying. Many who read this verse picture in their mind's eye a camel trying to squeeze through the eye of a sewing needle which is not what the "eye of a needle" was. It was a small gate (the narrow way) in the surrounding wall of the city that one had to go through during the night when the main gate was closed for homeland security purposes.

But doesn't the actual word "needle" means only one thing: the physical needle with which you work?

Can you provide scripture based argument to support your interpretation of what Jesus meant by "eye of a needle"?

Roman
Nov 28th 2003, 07:24 PM
Christianity comes with restrictions, and not everyone follows them.

If by narrow gate you mean restrictions, then NONE of us follow all the restrictions perfectly-- since "we all sinned and all fell short of a glory of God". So, your interpretation implies that none of us is on a narrow way.

Roman
Nov 28th 2003, 07:26 PM
narrow enough you can't take anything with you, not even your body.

That is actually one of my own thoughts (see my post on Luke 9:61,62), and this is exactly what worries me.

I mean, can YOU honestly say that you completely denied yourself, even your body? I mean, you have a job, you make money, you buy food, etc. etc. etc.

Roman
Nov 28th 2003, 07:30 PM
One was a Narrow Gate. Only one could enter at a time, and all could see who it was. You could not be someone full of tricks, falsehood, or a thief, or a enemy. Everyone would see you. You would be announced, and all would know you. Only one at a time would enter. And it was written down, that you had entered, and you were announced so that all would know you.

I know that "names written in Book of Life" is mentioned elsewhere in the scripture. But can you support this particular interpretation of "narrow gate"? I mean, how do you know only one person at a time can enter, rather than, say, 2 people at a time? And how do you know that people are being announced WHILE they enter, etc. etc. etc?

I suspect it might be my own lack of scriptural knowledge/historical context, so I really hope you help me out.

NLathrop
Nov 29th 2003, 03:09 AM
I know that "names written in Book of Life" is mentioned elsewhere in the scripture. But can you support this particular interpretation of "narrow gate"? I mean, how do you know only one person at a time can enter, rather than, say, 2 people at a time? And how do you know that people are being announced WHILE they enter, etc. etc. etc?

I suspect it might be my own lack of scriptural knowledge/historical context, so I really hope you help me out.

Roman, I came across this Gospel Tract that might help you answer the question regarding the narrow and broad roads.

The Broad Road and the Narrow Road (http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Rhodes/7895/broadnar03.html)
(Disclaimer (http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Rhodes/7895/aapropcy.html) NOTE: Files authored by Alan Yusko may be freely used, copied, printed, or displayed on other web sites. The only limitation is that they may NOT BE CHANGED. )
THE BROAD ROAD AND THE NARROW ROAD
By Alan Yusko
The Bible states very clearly that there is a broad road that leads to hell and damnation. There is also a narrow road that leads to heaven and eternal life. In this tract we are going to look at both roads and the characteristics of each.

This is a very important subject as the Bible clearly states that there is a very broad road that leads to hell! Could you be on that broad road to hell right now, reader? I certainly hope not!

Below is the verse we will be looking at with associated questions following:

Matt 7
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Here are some questions to consider.....:
What is the broad road?
What is the narrow road?
Why is the narrow road narrow?
Why is the broad road to hell broad?
What does the Lord suggest people to do?
What is at the end of the broad road?
What is at the end of the narrow road?
How many go down the narrow road?
How many go down the broad road?

In this article we will give an answer to each of the above questions.

Before we start I would like to leave an image in your mind about the broad road to hell and the narrow road to heaven:

People on the broad road walk through life with their eyes closed. As they walk they become very busy in the things of this world. Time quickly passes and the years go by unnoticed. These people keep walking until they suddenly reach the end of the road (end of their lifetime). Sometimes the end of the road is a surprise and other times the end can be seen approaching. Once the end of the road is reached the person falls over a cliff. Until a person falls over the cliff they have no idea or concern about what is below at the bottom. Sadly, once the person falls over the cliff it is too late! Their fate is forever sealed! At the bottom of the cliff is a great lake of fire that extends as far as the eyes can see. As a person falls from the cliff he can begin to smell the horrible sulfur smoke that rises up from the lake. The person's ears can also hear terrible screeches and screams of the damned in the distance. It all becomes very real as the lost person plunges deep into the lake of fire and his body explodes in horrible torment. Here is a glimpse of that terrible place from the Bible:

Rev 14
10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Rev 20
10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Rev 20
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

As a person walks down the broad road they pass a narrow gate which leads to a pathway which goes away from the broad road. The gate can be easily seen by all on the broad road. The pathway beyond the gate is narrow and few desire to go through the gate and follow the narrow path. Besides, the path does not look too comfortable and the broad road certainly looks easier and more entertaining! Beyond the narrow gate, in the distance, is a cross. On that cross the Saviour (the Lord Jesus) bled and died for the sins of the world. As people walk by the narrow gate they look over and see the cross and the Lord Jesus. Very few respond and enter the narrow gate and accept the Lord Jesus as their Lord and Saviour. The majority turn their head away from the narrow path and put those thoughts out of their minds. They then continue down the broad road in rejection of the Lord Jesus and His finished work on the cross.

Heb 10
10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

The good news is that the narrow path leads to a land called heaven. No one has seen heaven but they are told that it exists and have a description of this land in the book from God called the Bible. The people who enter the gate have this hope of the land of heaven in their hearts as they depart from the crowds following the broad road. The narrow path is not an easy one to follow as there are all kinds of troubles and obstacles in the path. Only those who do not love the sin in their lives are attracted to the narrow gate. The broad road seems to be an easier way to travel and offers far more worldly pleasures and sinful places of business and entertainment. The narrow road just does not appeal to the majority of people on the broad road to hell.

Acts 14
22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

As mentioned, those on the broad road just glance at the narrow gate and keep going. They really do not care about leaving the broad road. Those on this road are all aware that they are on a long journey with an uncertain ending. Everyone has different reactions as they pass the narrow gate. Some laugh, joke, and mock the gate and those on the path. Others are angry at the gate and throw stones beyond the gate hoping to hit someone on the narrow path. While others just don't care. They just walk by the narrow gate as if it didn't exist.

Mark 8
36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

On the broad road there are lots of attractions to amuse those on their journey. There are places to go to gain all kinds of riches and the wealth of the world. For example lottery tickets are sold from little booths along the path and these tickets impart hope to the travelers. Other shops sell buy and sell stocks and show the financial data on a large screen in front of their store. That is a very busy place as many gather in front of the store for hours on end just to look at the financial numbers flash across the screen. If the numbers go up then the people are very happy. If the numbers take a dive many get sad and depressed. Some have actually got so upset with a major downturn that they have actually run ahead and jumped off the cliff and ended their journey! These numbers can have great power over those on the broad road. Also the broad road has places where people can spend time indulging in all kind of physical pleasures. These places are always popular and they are filled with lots of amusements. Leaving the broad road is very hard for some as they love all the attractions and places of merriment and wealth acquisition.

Those on the broad road keep walking forward. As the years pass the narrow gate seems more distant. However, one day the journey down the broad road always ends for each person. Sometimes the end can be seen through sickness or at other times the end comes by a surprise accidental death.

Here are some specific answers in regard to the narrow and the broad road.

WHAT IS THE BROAD ROAD?

The broad road is the pathway to hell. This is eternal separation from God while suffering in torment in the lake of fire. All who reject the Lord Jesus as their Saviour are choosing to pay for their own sins. The penalty for sin is eternity suffering in the lake of fire.

Rom 6
23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

WHAT IS THE NARROW ROAD?

The narrow road is the path to heaven. There is only one way to heaven and that is through the Lord Jesus Christ.

John 14
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

WHY IS THE NARROW ROAD NARROW?

It is narrow because the Lord Jesus is the only way a person can be saved. There is no other way a person can be saved and this is a major stumbling block for the many proud people who are trying to earn their way to heaven. Here is what the Bible says:

Acts 4
12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

WHY IS THE BROAD ROAD TO HELL BROAD?

The road to hell is very broad because there is only one way to be saved and many ways to be lost. The end result of all the pathways to hell is to reject the Lord Jesus as Saviour. People who ignore the Lord Jesus or follow a false religion are on the broad road to hell. All people who die without the Lord Jesus as their Lord and Saviour are going to hell, the lake of fire.

Prov 14
12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

WHAT DOES THE LORD JESUS SUGGEST PEOPLE TO DO?

In verse 13 the Lord Jesus wants people to enter the narrow road at the straight gate. This means to accept the Lord Jesus as personal Lord and Saviour!

Isa 1
18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

WHAT IS AT THE END OF THE BROAD ROAD?

All the many pathways apart from the Lord Jesus lead to the same destination. They all lead to an eternity in hell suffering in the lake of fire. This means the Buddhist, the follower of Mohammed, the follower of Krishna, and the atheist will all suffer the same fate. They are all going down the broad road to hell without the Lord Jesus. At the end of their lifetime (at the road's end), they will be cast into the lake of fire and perish for all eternity.

Rev 20
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

WHAT IS AT THE END OF THE NARROW ROAD?

Heaven and eternal life in the very presence of the Lord is at the end of the narrow road. An eternity in heaven in the presence of God awaits all of God's saved and blood bought people!

Phil 1
23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

HOW MANY GO DOWN THE NARROW ROAD?

The Lord Jesus answers this question when He says the following:

Matt 7
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Notice the word FEW. The road is very narrow because the Lord Jesus is the only way a person can be saved. Few people are interested. Few people will listen to and believe in the Gospel of the Lord Jesus. Few people are willing to come to God on God's terms.

Instead, the foundation of all broad pathways to hell is good works. People have believed the lie that somehow they can do good works and merit salvation and eternal life. I repeat, all false religions include the false teaching that the individual can somehow merit favor with God by their good works and by adhering to some kind of religious system.

On the other hand the Bible teaches that we are all lost in sin and incapable of saving ourselves. Good works do nothing and have no part in salvation. Lost men and women can never earn their salvation in any way. If they could there would be no need for the Lord Jesus to die on the cross! If we could save ourselves by earning salvation there would be no need for the sacrificial death of the Lord Jesus for our sins.

The major stumbling block is in the simplicity of the Gospel. Lost people do not want to admit they are helpless and in need of a Saviour. It is an issue of pride and self-centeredness that keeps them away from saving faith. Lost people also love their sin and do not want to give it up. They do not want to stop doing the things that God has warned people to avoid.

As a result lost people create or accept a god that will also accept their lost and sinful lifestyle without change. Good works are added to make the lost person feel valuable and a vibrant part of his so-called salvation. But they are not saved at all! Such people are greatly deceived and have a solid place to hell on the broad road!

Remember good works do not save!

Eph 2
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

HOW MANY GO DOWN THE BROAD ROAD?

Since the Lord Jesus indicated that FEW will choose to go down the narrow road to heaven and eternal life, that leaves many for the broad road. There is only one way to be saved and that is found in the Lord Jesus Christ. However, there are many ways a person can be lost eternally. There is only one way to heaven and many ways to hell. All ways apart from the Lord Jesus are a part of the broad road to an eternity in hell!

Mark 8
36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

CONCLUSION

Right now as you read this article you are either on the broad road to hell or the narrow road to heaven. Which is it?

It really is YOUR choice. You can choose to reject the Lord Jesus and pay for your sins yourself. Or you can repent of your sins and accept the Lord Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. The Lord Jesus died on the cross and paid for the sins of the world so you would not have to. He died as a substitute (in our place) so we would not have to pay the penalty for our sins.

The Lord Jesus now offers salvation as a gift to anyone who is willing to receive it!

Make your choice and do it NOW!

Matt 11
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Isa 1
18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Joe D
Dec 15th 2003, 03:23 AM
On another message board someone asked what percentage of all the people will go to Heaven.
After a number of responses that didn't make sense to anyone I tried to explain in terms they may understand.
Now in my answer I may have taken a verse a little out of context to make a point so bear with me:D

I used the parable of the ten virgins.
All ten were waiting for the Bridegroom, so that wouldn't that mean that all ten called themselves believers?
Now only five of them had oil in their lamps, they were prepared for His arrival.
Several examples of only half going, two will be in the field, one will go, one will stay.

So since the only way to Heaven is Jesus what you would need to do is...
Take the world population, figure out what percentage is Christian, cut that amount in half, and you get a percentage.
Sounds like a pretty narrow road.

Baerly
Jul 11th 2007, 10:44 PM

I would say your very smart for stating your OP the way you did. We learn in (Mt.7:13,14) the [gate] to salvation is narrow and difficult to pass through. What would lead us through that narrow gate? Doing the will of the Lord (Mt.7:21). To any good and honest heart this would dispell the myth that man cannot [do anything] to help him get to heaven. The word of God tells us we [can do something] to save ourselves,and we must (Acts 2:40) (Heb.5:8,9) (Acts 10:34,35) (John 9:31) (1Peter 3:12).

Next we need to understand that the bible uses a [synechdoche] to teach us at times. This just means that [a word] sometimes is used to stand for the whole of something.

For instance, I might say it is good to seed your face. I actually mean it is good to see all of you,but i just used the word face to represent the whole of your body.

I might say I really like your wheels. I used the word wheels to represent the whole of your car.

The bible uses the word believe many times to represent the whole system of faith (or mans response to Gods word) (John 3:16). But notice just a few verses down from (John 3:16) what the Lord of The Lord says to us. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light (John 3:21). Notice also (John 8:31,32) [IF] you continue in my word,then ye are my disciples. And you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.

We really need to understand the use of a synechdoche or it is very possible we could pervert the word of God unintentionally (Gal.1:6-9).

We must remember that Satan is continually trying to deceive us (2Thess.2:3,10-12) (2Tim.3:13). The remedy for false doctrine is to learn all about the word of God (Acts 20:32) (Eph.3:3,4) (Luke 1:4) (1John 2:21).

If we read (John 3:16) alone it would lead us to think [belief is all] it takes to make it to heaven. But that sounds like it is easy to make it to heaven. Remember what (Mt.7:13,14,21) told us earlier? It is difficult to make it through that narrow gate, to make it through that narrow gate we must do the will of the Lord. Can you imagine making it through a narrow gate with a ship?That is what (Mt.7:13,14) is refering too.

But the word of God also says to confess in (Rom.10:9). It also says to repent in (Luke 13:3),it also says to be baptized in water for the forgiveness of sins in (Acts 2:38 ; 8:12,38,39 ; 10;48 ; 22;16 ). We must believe and obey all of these things or we are rejecting the counsel of God (Luke 7:30).

Not only that but the word of God helps us to live our every day lives according to the will of God (N.T.Law) (Titus 2:11,12) (2Peter 1:5-10).

Let us search out the sum total of Gods word on any subject believe it and apply it to our lives.

in love Baerly

FaithfulSheep
Jul 11th 2007, 11:40 PM
Great post! But just to let you know... don't expect a response from the original poster... he hasn't been here since 2003. ;)

Sherrie
Jul 13th 2007, 06:57 PM

I think there have been some excellent post here on this. But if I may, I would like to add a little bit of lifestyle to this. It may help a little understanding more of the text in the scriptures provided:

There were 2 gates one could enter.

The Second Gate, was wide. If you did not have time to wait to get through the narrow gate, or had a cart, you would enter through this wide gate. You were not accounted for, and it was not written down you came through. So you were not announced, and nor were you known.

Now this wide gate was ideal for a thief or false prophet, or an enemy spying. He could dress up as a prophet, or distinguished person, and enter un-noticed to all. He could just blend, and be about the business of his desires. This is where wolves in sheep clothing comes from. Wolves come to rob the Shepherd of his lambs.

But Jesus said he was the Narrow Gate. Know one could enter Heaven without first going in through the Narrow Gate. Meaning we must all go through Jesus to get in. There is no Wide Gates in Heaven. We cannot sneak in. There are no wolves in Heaven. Our names are written down, and it will be announced to the Father who we are. If it is not written down, we will not enter.

I hope this helped.

Sherrie

In order to understand some of the scriptures in the bible (for me it is very important....I love the history and custom/lifestyles), you need to know some of the history/structures of buildings/culture and lifestyles/architecture of places, and people of the paticular time period. such as you would for any other subject or thing you might be studying. You can obtain such books of history and culture at most any library/bookstore/online stores, or even investigate the paticular thing online.

I did study this a long while back. I have many History and Reference books, and took use as well of the places, and ways as I suggested above.

GodsOwnFool
Jul 13th 2007, 07:10 PM
This thread is 4 years old! :eek:

Sherrie
Jul 13th 2007, 07:16 PM
I would like to share another take on this, that goes with other scripture, i do not have a lot of time to post...

In the time period of when Jesus walked on this earth:

Whenever a wedding was to take place, all the people who were invited to the wedding were given new robes. Why???

Well, in those times, people traveled far. Perhaps for days, weeks, or months. They also traveled through desserts, and down dusty roads. On camels, donkeys, and by foot. By the time they arrived at their destination, they were dirty, tattered, and tired. So the bridegrooms family provided new robes for them to wear. You could not attend the wedding without first wearing the new robe that was given by the bridegrooms family. No one could sneak in, because the woman of a paticular family had a trademark in their sewing, that would identify it was their robe. So in this way the family knew if you were invited, and that you were accepted or acknowledged by the bridegrooms family.