PDA

View Full Version : Christ Is Risen!

mcgyver
Mar 20th 2007, 05:45 PM
I Don't know if this is the correct forum...but I wanted to share a story that I found several years ago (unfortunately I don't remember where I found it).

Here 'tis:

- You probably do not know the name Nikolai Ivanovich Bukharin. During his day he was as powerful a man as there was on earth. A Russian Communist leader he took part in the Bolshevik Revolution 1917, was editor of the Soviet newspaper Pravda (which means truth, by the way), and was a full member of the Politburo. His works on economics and political science are still read today. There is a story told about a journey he took from Moscow to Kiev in 1930 to address a huge assembly on the subject of atheism. Addressing the crowd he aimed his heavy artillery at Christianity hurling insult, argument, and proof against it.

An hour later he was finished. He looked out at what seemed to be the smoldering ashes of men's faith. "Are there any questions?" Bukharin demanded. Deafening silence filled the auditorium but then one man approached the platform and mounted the lectern standing near the communist leader. He surveyed the crowd first to the left then to the right. Finally he shouted the ancient greeting known well in the Russian Orthodox Church: "CHRIST IS RISEN!" En masse the crowd arose as one man and the response came crashing like the sound of thunder: "HE IS RISEN INDEED!"

He Is Risen Indeed...In my opinion Four of the most joyous, most profound, and most powerful words ever spoken.

He Is Risen...The anvil upon which the hammer of every skeptic for almost 2000 years has broken.

He is Risen...Our assurance that because He lives, we live in Him!

I just felt like declaring that: He Is Risen Indeed! :pp

karenoka27
Mar 20th 2007, 05:52 PM
the hymn "Christ is Risen"..written by Fanny Crosby many years ago.

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/c/i/cisrisen.htm

Sing with me...

mcgyver
Mar 20th 2007, 05:56 PM
Singing it loud (and probably off key) Sis!!! :)

Who else wants to join us? :rofl:

Debra R
Mar 20th 2007, 11:08 PM
:pp Yes, He is risen indeed! :pp

My husband can say "Christ is risen" in Russian. My husband is Russian but that is the only Russian he knows :D. He said that was all he needed to know. :)

Great post by the way. :)

Teke
Mar 20th 2007, 11:46 PM
I Don't know if this is the correct forum...but I wanted to share a story that I found several years ago (unfortunately I don't remember where I found it).

Here 'tis:

- You probably do not know the name Nikolai Ivanovich Bukharin. During his day he was as powerful a man as there was on earth. A Russian Communist leader he took part in the Bolshevik Revolution 1917, was editor of the Soviet newspaper Pravda (which means truth, by the way), and was a full member of the Politburo. His works on economics and political science are still read today. There is a story told about a journey he took from Moscow to Kiev in 1930 to address a huge assembly on the subject of atheism. Addressing the crowd he aimed his heavy artillery at Christianity hurling insult, argument, and proof against it.

An hour later he was finished. He looked out at what seemed to be the smoldering ashes of men's faith. "Are there any questions?" Bukharin demanded. Deafening silence filled the auditorium but then one man approached the platform and mounted the lectern standing near the communist leader. He surveyed the crowd first to the left then to the right. Finally he shouted the ancient greeting known well in the Russian Orthodox Church: "CHRIST IS RISEN!" En masse the crowd arose as one man and the response came crashing like the sound of thunder: "HE IS RISEN INDEED!"

He Is Risen Indeed...In my opinion Four of the most joyous, most profound, and most powerful words ever spoken.

He Is Risen...The anvil upon which the hammer of every skeptic for almost 2000 years has broken.

He is Risen...Our assurance that because He lives, we live in Him!

I just felt like declaring that: He Is Risen Indeed! :pp

I know the story well. They, the Russian people are all Orthodox Christians. It is our custom (Eastern Orthodox) during Pascha to say to one another, "Christ is risen", and reply "truly He is risen".
They also dye eggs with onions to a deep red color and at Pascha each holds an egg and when hitting them together to break open (like the tomb), they exclaim the same, Christ is risen, and the reply,truly He is risen.

"Kiev" is where Russia began. It was the king at Kiev, who decided the Christian religion for his people. From Kiev, Christianity (Eastern Orthodoxy) spread to all of what is now Russia.

punk
Mar 21st 2007, 02:03 AM
Er ist erstanden!

I do like that tradition of saying it in as many languages as possible. :D

Silent Wings
Mar 21st 2007, 02:57 AM
Er ist erstanden!

He is risen indeed!

Best news I’ve heard all day, and it is good news.

Mateo 28:6
No está aquí, pues ha resucitado, como dijo. Venid, ved el lugar donde fue puesto el Señor.

humbled
Mar 21st 2007, 06:09 PM
They also dye eggs with onions to a deep red color and at Pascha each holds an egg and when hitting them together to break open (like the tomb), they exclaim the same, Christ is risen, and the reply,truly He is risen.Is that where the "Easter egg" comes from?

I never knew that!

Teke
Mar 21st 2007, 06:31 PM
Is that where the "Easter egg" comes from?

I never knew that!

I doubt that. "Easter" is a western word used for Pascha. As for eggs, every culture has it's traditions that incorporate things like eggs, bread etc. into the theme.
For instance the Ukrainians have some very interesting traditions in their Christian culture. Bread as the staff of life and the great Eucharistic Symbol of Christ Himself is used to greet and bless guests at the door, together with salt. Ukraine is also were Kiev is located, the birthplace of Christianity to Russia.

Teke
Mar 21st 2007, 06:51 PM
Er ist erstanden!

Also sung in many languages.

Slavonic- (English transliteration)
Hrestoss vosskrese ez mertvih,
smerteeyou smert po prav,
Ee suscheem vo grobeh zhivot darovav.

Greek- (English transliteration)
Xristos anesti ek nekron,
thanato thanaton patisas,
ke tis en tis mnimasin,
zoin xarisamenos

English translation-
Christ is risen from the dead,
trampling down death by death,
and on those in the tombs bestowing life!

Everyone has candles marching around the church three times singing this song.

mcgyver
Apr 8th 2007, 06:59 PM
As today is Easter Sunday...Thought that I'd bring it forward! :)

He Is Risen, Indeed!

Happy Easter Sunday all! :hug:

rls
Apr 8th 2007, 07:07 PM
As today is Easter Sunday...Thought that I'd bring it forward! :)

He Is Risen, Indeed!

Happy Easter Sunday all! :hug:
Amen! Christ has Risen indeed!:bounce:

Sons of Issachar
Apr 8th 2007, 07:17 PM
Since this is the Bible Chat forum... i thought this pertinent to share. :D

It was Nisan 17, the day on the Hebrew calendar, onwhich Christ resurrected into new life.

It's interesting, because God works in patterns, and symbols, types, and shadows.

Everything in His word speaks to HIM... and points back to HIM.

With that in mind, it's interesting, because this is not the first time this date is mentioned in Scripture. In fact, the first time this date is recorded in scripture... a very special event is recorded as having occurred on this day... an event which i believe, foreshadowed prophetically Christ's resurrection.

Genesis 8:4 ~ And in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, the ark rested upon the mountains of Ararat.

The 7th month and the 17th day is the 17th of Nisan.

After nearly a year of tumultous sea-faring through a cataclysmic flood... the Ark (also a very deep, symbolic picture of Christ) comes to rest, at last... (An interesting aside, Noah's name in Hebrew literally means 'rest').

It is Christ who told us He would give US 'rest', from our burdens... if we would take on HIS yoke.... it is through His redemptive and atoning work, life, and death... and Resurrection... that we have this 'rest', and 'new life' ourself.

To my earlier point... the fact that the Ark (a study on its own merit... it points to Christ in many, many ways) RESTS on the Mountains of ARARAT on the same day Christ 'rose' and resurrected Himself says volumes.

For the meaning of the word 'Ararat' means 'THE CURSE IS REVERSED' in Hebrew.

HalleluYAH! What a picture! This all pointed prophetically to His 'rest' and 'resurrection'... with the Ark 'resting' on the same day Christ did... completing His work... and REVERSING THE CURSE (of death and sin!!)

karenoka27
Apr 8th 2007, 07:19 PM
:pp Yes, He is risen indeed! :pp

My husband can say "Christ is risen" in Russian. My husband is Russian but that is the only Russian he knows :D. He said that was all he needed to know. :)

Great post by the way. :)
that is so awesome Debra!