PDA

View Full Version : If you don't believe what I believe, you're going to hell.

A820djd
Mar 27th 2007, 04:29 PM
Oh boy do I have a story for you! Well last summer I went up state to a fair/demo derby with my friend Kevin and we met our friend Chelsea there (now my current girlfriend) and anyways! We saw a couple kids we knew so Chelsea went off with her ex boyfriend (current boyfriend at that time) and so me and Kevin sat down a bench and this Christian man came up to us handing out these papers about Jesus and blah blah blah ANYWAYS to the point, he was there for like a half hour and basically he said if we don't strive for perfection (pretty much) we will goto hell. The way this guy put it, is NO WAY to explain to some non believers... I mean the guy was stupid in my opinion to force you into loving Jesus otherwise you'll burn for all eternity.

What are your opinions on people who force (scare) Christianity into people or threaten them with eternity in hell?

aurora77
Mar 27th 2007, 04:32 PM
I think a healthy fear of hell is a good thing, but using scare tactics like that is akin to bullying. I wonder how many people really come to know God after a presentation like that. I'm not talking about a terrified "I don't want to go to hell, of course I accept Christ." I mean the deep commitment required to be a Christian.

ProjectPeter
Mar 27th 2007, 04:33 PM
Moved this into Apologetics and Evangelism. This is the better forum for this discussion.

Frances
Mar 27th 2007, 04:45 PM
Unfortunately there are too many Christians(?) out there preventing folk coming to Jesus, who seem to think they are fulfilling the Great Commission.

When I was a teen and on a beach with my elder brother and young man leapt up infront of us and said forcefully "brother and sister in Christ, have you been saved?" . . . and we both leapt smartly back from the Cross! Fortunately I had committed my life to Christ as a small child and the experience didn't turn me away from Jesus, but made me very wary of 'evangelists'. My brother has never returned to Jesus Christ - he knows the Bible, has a copy on his desk, but is he a Christian? No - and he is adept at relating many 'unfortunate' things folk who are aparently Christians have said or done to keep him away from Salvation. I tell him I want him to follow Jesus Christ, not those he recals . . . to no avail as yet.

humbled
Mar 27th 2007, 05:23 PM
Jonathan Edwards preached a sermon once.

Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God

This sparked what is known as the 'Great Awakening' of America.

I do not think that what prompted this awakening was the idea that "Jesus loves you". What prompted it was "repent and believe the gospel". In fact, the Scripture that started the sermon was Deuteronomy 32:35, which says "Their foot shall slide in due time"

In my opinion, the gospel has been far too watered down to be really considered the gospel. Nowhere in Scripture is an unbeliever told "Jesus loves you" or "God loves you" or even "Christ died for you"

What is told to them is "repent for the kingdom of Heaven is at hand!" (Matt 3:2) and "repent and believe the gospel" (Mark 1:15)

Repent! That is the command for the sinner (Mark 6:12). You are a SINNER! That is the preaching that should be done to the unconverted.

Jesus came to call sinners to repentance (Luke 5:32). He commanded people to repent or perish (Luke 13).

Luther said it well: "The Law is for the proud, the Gospel is for the brokenhearted"

After all, it is the Law which we are saved FROM! It is our SIN which we are saved from! How can someone be saved unless they know they are in danger? I think that the Way of the Master has a very good technique. They preach Law. And they follow it with Grace.

But the topic of hell should not be avoided when speaking to a sinner. It is, after all, God who saves us. HE uses the preaching of the word. And the word includes topics such as hell and condemnation. Preach the word! Be ready IN season and OUT of season.

Do it all with kindness. Remember that you, too, are a sinner saved by grace. We must not preach as if we are better, or preach that there is some standard to be met. We preach about sin, and the Spirit of God convicts them. If they respond, great! You've won a brother/sister. If they do not, great! God's justice will prevail.

Either way, praise God. And leave salvation in the hands of the LORD. He's the expert.

Grace and peace

threebigrocks
Mar 27th 2007, 05:31 PM
Out of love, would you tell someone that they are continually walking toward a cliff even if they didn't believe you because they kept walking towards it? Would you point out the obvious on the sign that says 1000' drop off - 100 feet ahead?

No different spiritually. It's the spiritual nature of warning, and most times the honesty, that scares people. Not the warning itself.

But doing it in a loving manner doesn't include doing it with anger or hollaring at someone. I wouldn't listen to that mess, simply because of the way it's presented! No way would I stand there while someone did that.

Yet the message must be heard. You are sinner and unless you repent and follow the One who will keep you from death, you are as good as dead. That is the truth.

Teke
Mar 27th 2007, 09:34 PM
Oh boy do I have a story for you! Well last summer I went up state to a fair/demo derby with my friend Kevin and we met our friend Chelsea there (now my current girlfriend) and anyways! We saw a couple kids we knew so Chelsea went off with her ex boyfriend (current boyfriend at that time) and so me and Kevin sat down a bench and this Christian man came up to us handing out these papers about Jesus and blah blah blah ANYWAYS to the point, he was there for like a half hour and basically he said if we don't strive for perfection (pretty much) we will goto hell. The way this guy put it, is NO WAY to explain to some non believers... I mean the guy was stupid in my opinion to force you into loving Jesus otherwise you'll burn for all eternity.

What are your opinions on people who force (scare) Christianity into people or threaten them with eternity in hell?

I think they are preaching some other gospel.

cheech
Mar 27th 2007, 09:57 PM
As with anything you have to give the good news and the bad news...the good news being have faith and believe in Christ and you will be saved. The bad news...don't believe and turn away, and you are condemned. By no means should we water down the gospel as humbled put it. We give all accounts of it. It's the way you speak of it that will draw people to Christ. Think of how Christ spoke about the Scripture. He didn't use scare tactics. He spoke lovingly of God and His forgivness and all that goes along with believing. But he also warned of what can happen to those who don't believe.

This is how we must present God's words to others...lovingly and truthfully.

JordanW
Mar 27th 2007, 10:51 PM
I think that it is stupid to try to force beliefs onto someone. The best thing to do in my opinion is let them choose for themselves. It's ok to tell them about it, but don't force it on them.

pastor_chris
Mar 27th 2007, 10:59 PM
I agree that such close minded presentations are a waste of time.

Conversation and dialogue is much more helpful. Certainly there is place for respect. While I believe that evangelism has to be persuasive, it's the Holy Spirit's job to do the persuasion. Sometimes it's fear, sometimes its some other spiritual thirst.

dirtball
Mar 27th 2007, 11:34 PM
I think that it is stupid to try to force beliefs onto someone. The best thing to do in my opinion is let them choose for themselves. It's ok to tell them about it, but don't force it on them.

I sorta' feel the same way too. I think that it is a good idea to inform people of Christ and that if they don't choose to follow Him and glorify him, that their probably going to spend eturnity in hell. Then I think that it is a good idea to let the holy spirit work in them and mabey the word that you share with them will be just enoghf to get them to be thinking and let Christ into their life.

lrl
Mar 28th 2007, 02:39 AM
I have a dear friend that can be over-zealous about evangelizing. He has been a tool in many people turning to Christ, but I wonder if some didn't just want him to "leave him alone", so they went through the actions.

He will strike up a conversation with anyone at anytime. It can be obnoxious. He is a great guy and people are genuinely drawn to him, but he can be like a dog with a bone at times.

For example, at my son's bday party, he asked my husband who (in attendance) was probably the least likely to be a believer. Dh told him that it would be his uncle and our friend immediately went and struck up a conversation. Initially, it was okay.....but he started to shadow dh's uncle. Followed him everywhere. He was shouting or being a "bully", but he wasn't reading the VERY clear body language that the uncle had heard everything he was willing to absorb for the day.

It's important that we understand several key things when evangelizing:

One - there is no way to "talk someone in" to believing. They either will or won't.

Two - there is a limit to how long to talk to them. Body language is a strong indicator. Sometimes, God is only using us to plant a seed or begin to develop a relationship. Sometimes, we will find that we shouldn't present the gospel on our first meeting....or even second or third.

An EFFECTIVE evangelist is one that makes the person want to hear what you have to say. Otherwise, they just block you out....nod at the right places, but check their watch frequently. Now, that doesn't mean you just run around and become friends, then never find the "right time". But it does mean that you work in God's timing.....not confusing that with an overly developed desire to see people won to Christ.

Because a false conversion is no conversion at all.........and irritating someone , in the name of Christ, could well HURT their chances of being saved. Especially if they associate the gospel with a nuisance.

threebigrocks
Mar 28th 2007, 01:34 PM

Lets stay on topic. I don't want to have to delete anything, but it's coming close. ;)

wrldstrman
Apr 1st 2007, 07:08 AM
John 2 17 Zeal for your house will consume me. Jesus told people like it is. He said the road to hell was broad enough for multitudes and the path to Heaven was narrow and few ever find it. There is verse after verse after verse in the bible about FEAR of the lord. There isnt enough fear for the Lord anymore. Fact is if you dont repent and ask Jesus to save you your going to Hell. Acts 4;12 Salvation is found in NO ONE ELSE for there is no other name under Heaven given to men by which we must be saved.

I dont think there is enough Christains speaking up today wheres our zeal.. its bottled up in not wanting to offend anyone or hurt any ones feelings.

Isaiah 42;8 I am the Lord that is my name. I will NOT give my glory to another or my praise to idols.

Here we are sitting back letting the Lord be drug through the mud in this country while Christians in other countries are being put to death for their faith. So Im all for the fire and brimstone speaches sometimes a good scare might wake up some people.

deaconrick
Apr 1st 2007, 05:18 PM
To preach just gospel does little good. In order for someone to be saved, they need to know what they are being saved from. Unless they know that, they have no reason to want salvation. Proper preaching balances law and gospel. Both must be included. The law points out our sin, shows us our need for a savior. The gospel provides the rescue from the law.

It's like having a bushel basket full of apples. If you just picke it up by one handle, what happens? The apples fall out. You have to use both handles, law and gospel, or you lose something.

Point-man
Oct 21st 2017, 09:01 PM
But what if it’s says you must do a certain thing, are you bound to do it? Think about this before you answer.

jesusinmylife
Oct 21st 2017, 10:18 PM
But what if it’s says you must do a certain thing, are you bound to do it? Think about this before you answer.

Are you celebrating Easter?
You keep resurrecting 10 year old threads.