PDA

View Full Version : Hitting anyone?

A820djd
Mar 29th 2007, 06:45 PM
Is it a sin to hit a woman/man that has hit you first? What is your opinion? What does it say in the bible?

VerticalReality
Mar 29th 2007, 06:47 PM
Is it a sin to hit a woman/man that has hit you first? What is your opinion? What does it say in the bible?

Matthew 5:39
But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

A820djd
Mar 29th 2007, 06:48 PM
Matthew 5:39
But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

So does that mean just let him/her hit your other cheek and let them hit you?

Centurionoflight
Mar 29th 2007, 06:57 PM
Why would they be hitting you?

If its over the gospel; then dont hit them back.
They are striking God; not you.

A820djd
Mar 29th 2007, 07:04 PM
Why would they be hitting you?

If its over the gospel; then dont hit them back.
They are striking God; not you.

What if it's over defending a family member?

GodsOwnFool
Mar 29th 2007, 07:34 PM
Hitting them won't change their situation and will give you less leverage in speaking with them and suggesting counseling. When we get really angry at people sometimes we want to smack some sense into them. It will only make the situation worse. Sorry. :cry:

humbled
Mar 29th 2007, 07:39 PM
Is it a sin to hit a woman/man that has hit you first? What is your opinion? What does it say in the bible?By all means, if you cannot run away, defend yourself in a fight.

Is your heart hateful toward that person? Did YOU offend them? Or are they just the random jerk?

It really depends on the situation.

You ask about defending a family member ... do you mean this family member is being hit (as in domestic violence)? Get them out of the situation. If you mean to defend their honor, then no. Battle with words (the words of Scripture) but not fists.

GodsOwnFool
Mar 29th 2007, 07:41 PM
Scott why don't you add the link to your other post so people here know what you are referring to.

A820djd
Mar 29th 2007, 07:45 PM
Scott why don't you add the link to your other post so people here know what you are referring to.

Actually this isn't linked to my other post...

humbled
Mar 29th 2007, 07:51 PM
Actually this isn't linked to my other post...She was asking you to provide a link to it :)

GodsOwnFool
Mar 29th 2007, 07:53 PM
Are you saying this question has nothing to do with your other post?

A820djd
Mar 29th 2007, 07:54 PM
Are you saying this question has nothing to do with your other post?

Yeah. I was talking about defending myself from a bully or someone said something about a close family member or girlfriend.