PDA

View Full Version : Twelve Ordinary Men - Philip

Pages : [1] 2

SeattleSun
Apr 11th 2007, 06:50 PM
Biblical Focus:

Matthew 10:5-6; 15-24; John 1:11-12; 43-47; 6:1-7; 12:20-21; 14:1-11; 21:2-3; Romans 2:10; 1 Corinthians 1:27-29

1. It is clear from various references that Peter, Andrew, James and John were fisherman. But JMac writes, "There is good biblical evidence that Philip, Nathanael, and Thomas were all fishermen from Galilee" (p. 120). On what evidence does he base that conclusion?

2. Based on what JMac has pieced together about Philip from John's Gospel, which of the following labels is most apt to stick to this fisherman's lapel?

Possibility thinker
Process person
Change agent
Detail-challenged

That's a start! :D

MsLibby
Apr 11th 2007, 07:11 PM
Hey! What happened to the bean counter? What's this...he was a fisherman? You mean he counted beans and fished? Hmmm. http://www.sun.ac.za/gerga/custom/BeanCounter.gif

SeattleSun
Apr 11th 2007, 07:21 PM
:rofl: JMac's chapter heading in the book:

"Philip -- The Bean Counter"

JMac's chapter heading in the workbook:

"Philip: The Dense Disciple Jesus Loved".

So he was a lovable, dense bean counter. We'll see. :D

MsLibby
Apr 11th 2007, 08:44 PM
:rofl: JMac's chapter heading in the book:

"Philip -- The Bean Counter"

JMac's chapter heading in the workbook:

"Philip: The Dense Disciple Jesus Loved".

So he was a lovable, dense bean counter. We'll see. :D

Well, then, he should add that to his list. Should be as follows:

Possibility thinker
Process person
Change agent
Detail-challenged
Bean- Counter:lol:

SeattleSun
Apr 11th 2007, 08:53 PM
Well, then, he should add that to his list. Should be as follows:

Possibility thinker
Process person
Change agent
Detail-challenged
Bean- Counter:lol:

Don't forget dense!

When I typed that list and saw "Process person" I had to roll my eyes. Seattle has what they call "terminal process" -- never ending meetings and discussions and votes and consultants on every single little detail. Every now and then, an official makes up their mind and makes a dicison, which makes some citizen unhappy and they start all over again. Needless to say, nothing much gets done here.

Here's a little snippet from the LA Times about the infamous "process":

In a way, the saga of the neglected roadway is a textbook example of what many call the "Seattle process," or the reputed civic inclination here to seek so much public input and listen to so many sides of an argument that nothing actually gets done.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-viaduct5mar05,1,3891115.story?track=rss&ctrack=1&cset=true

I refuse to label Philip, an apostle appointed by Jesus as a Process person. :mad:

MsLibby
Apr 11th 2007, 09:03 PM
I refuse to label Philip, an apostle appointed by Jesus as a Process person. :mad:

I'm with you. :)

Besides, I don't even know the guy yet. I haven't read the chapter yet. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/reading.gif

SeattleSun
Apr 11th 2007, 09:10 PM
I'm with you. :)

Besides, I don't even know the guy yet. I haven't read the chapter yet. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/reading.gif

I'm almost done! I could answer those questions, but I'll wait til everyone's done. He's interesting, not as interesting as Peter and the Sons of Thunder mind you. But our Jesus picked him! So he's okay by me! :D

MsLibby
Apr 11th 2007, 09:22 PM
So far, my favorite has been Peter. Poor ole Peter ~ he gets a bad rap, if you ask me.

On a side note, I just realized that when John and Peter went to Jesus' tomb to see what Mary was talking about, John didn't go in~ he just peeked inside. Guess who did. Yep, Peter of course. He was always in the middle of things. I like that guy.

Cloudwalker
Apr 12th 2007, 01:25 AM
Sonja, Seattle isn't the only place with "terminal process." I think it's infecting the whole contry.

MsLibby
Apr 12th 2007, 01:55 PM
Great sig line, CW. :)

Where's Mercy? Yoo hoo, Mercy...come out, come out wherever you are...http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/juhu.gif

SeattleSun
Apr 12th 2007, 07:10 PM
Okay, let's get the intro questions out of the way!

1. It is clear from various references that Peter, Andrew, James and John were fisherman. But JMac writes, "There is good biblical evidence that Philip, Nathanael, and Thomas were all fishermen from Galilee" (p. 120). On what evidence does he base that conclusion?

Philip "was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter" (John 1:44). In John 21, after the resurrection, when they returned to Galilee, Peter said "I am going fishing" (John 21:3), the others who were there answered "We are going with you." According to John 21:2, those were "Simon Peter, Thomas called the Twin, Nathanael of Cana in Galilee, the sons of Zebedee, and two others of His disciples." JMac concludes that the unnamed "two others" were most likely Philip and Andrew because elsewhere they are always seen in the company of the men who are named in that passage.

2. Based on what JMac has pieced together about Philip from John's Gospel, which of the following labels is most apt to stick to this fisherman's lapel?

Possibility thinker
Process person
Change agent
Detail-challenged

Although I vowed not to call Philip a process person, it appears that he was one. :( JMac explains that he was pessimistic, analytical and pragmatic (he said more, I'm leaving those out for now). He didn't see the "big picture" and failed to grasp Christ's supernatural power by which he cites the feeding of the 5,000 in John 6. Philip had witnessed miracles, but he latched onto the idea that feeding all those people with a meager amount of money was impossible. Which it was but for Christ's presence. He didn't see the possibility that all those people could indeed be fed due to their funds not being able to be changed and the pesky detail of a whole lot of hungry people.

All that's left is the dreaded process person. Sigh. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/Kick_Can_emoticon.gif

MsLibby
Apr 12th 2007, 07:46 PM
All that's left is the dreaded process person. Sigh. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/Kick_Can_emoticon.gif

Aw...http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/klemme.gif

(JMac is tough on these guys, isn't he?) http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/nedstemt.gif

SeattleSun
Apr 12th 2007, 07:59 PM
Aw...http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/klemme.gif

(JMac is tough on these guys, isn't he?) http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/nedstemt.gif

:hug: Yeah, he sure is. But look how hopeless they were when they started and then what they became! We can too! :pp

Matt 5:6 ~ Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

Mercy4Me
Apr 12th 2007, 09:03 PM
Hi, all! I finally found you! I was still over in John...

A little slow today, I guess!

I got to spend yesterday at Sarah's (my older daughter's) new home in the mountains...the road there's a bit rough, and wasn't feeling much like typing when I got home! But...the good news is...Lucas is coming home today! Yeah! Bill's on his way right now to go get his things. On Easter he told me how much he loved it there, and I didn't hold out much hope for him to come home anytime soon...but yesterday things fell apart. They're getting evicted, and since Luke's uncle is the landlord he called him to tell him he was planning to evict them, so Luke could get out before the notice was served. The poor guy...Lucas still really likes him, but he realizes he's got a lot of issues, and is a habitual liar. He wants to stay friends, although I don't know how that can happen with someone you can NEVER know if you can believe what they're saying. Almost everything he's ever told Luke has turned out to be a lie. We met them Monday night, and I could tell right away that he was making things up right and left...very bizarre things that could not be true! Like there's one area in downtown SLC that's owned by the Mormon church, and you can get arrested if you walk through there without a suit on. Now, please! I can't figure someone like him out...Lucas said yesterday while we were at Sarah's that he couldn't figure out why he would say things that are so easy to check, and find out they're not true. He's told him he's getting a job at such and such a place, then the day comes when he's supposed to start, and he never does! ??? Must be a mental state, I guess...

Anyway, we're happy around here today to have him come home, and I think he has a job coming, too!

'Nuff typing for now...gotta get busy! It's starting to snow here...big storm coming in this weekend, so they say!

Love you all, glad to find you, and CW!!! Your sig came out great! And Libby, your new avatar! Beautiful! :hug: :kiss:

jesuslover1968
Apr 12th 2007, 09:28 PM
Gee, just found this. Thought everybody was gone for the day...LOL.

I am sure I read Phillip a long time ago, I just have to refresh my memory...hehehe.

MsLibby
Apr 12th 2007, 09:33 PM
Mercy ~ is this your daughter who lost everything?? That's just wonderful! Yay! And I was wondering this morning about Lucas...have been praying just like we talked about...this is such happy news! Answered prayer! I'm so happy for you...:hug:

MsLibby
Apr 12th 2007, 09:34 PM
Gee, just found this. Thought everybody was gone for the day...LOL.

I am sure I read Phillip a long time ago, I just have to refresh my memory...hehehe.

Now you all are here and it's time for me to go. Hmpt. :mad:

jesuslover1968
Apr 12th 2007, 09:36 PM
Now you all are here and it's time for me to go. Hmpt. :mad:

LOL. Sorry. I have been hopping back and forth today...a little cleaning, a little cooking, a little e-mailing, and I just figured that everybody was taking a break. I should have known better, though...see ya tomorrow...:hug: :kiss:

MsLibby
Apr 12th 2007, 09:41 PM
I'm going to read up tonight...I forgot to last night. Tonight's the night...Sonja, more questions please? I didn't like the first set...now I'm thinking of Philip as a 'dreaded process person'. Not a good start. I'm equating Philip with Seattle...and I equate Seattle right up there with San Francisco.

SeattleSun
Apr 12th 2007, 09:56 PM
Ordering me around. :mad: :rofl: Hi Misty! Hi Mercy! :hug: :hug:

3. In the author's words, "Peter, Andrew and John (and likely James as well) had more or less found Jesus. To be precise, they had been directed to Him by John the Baptist" (p. 122). In light of this, what made Philip's encounter with Christ unique?

Mercy4Me
Apr 12th 2007, 09:58 PM
Hi Libby! Yes, it's that daughter...they used part of their settlement with insurance to put a down payment on a house in the mountains. With all they'd been through the last three months, they're finally able to see something good come out of it. They had enough to buy basic furnishings after the dp, and will have to "rebuild" all the special things as they go. They did save a couple of their wedding calligraphies and Tom's dad's picture--something really special to him--which they are thankful for! They just moved in last week, and are so happy to be out of the hotel...plus have kind of fulfilled a dream of theirs, too. Great place to raise the boys! Here's a photo on their deck:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/Mercy58/Feb2007361-1.jpg

I'll get to questions when I can...probably tomorrow...

MsLibby
Apr 12th 2007, 10:03 PM
Sonja ~ HEY, I said 'please'! :mad: :lol:

Oh Mercy...what a VIEW! And such beautiful grandkids too...!!! Whew...I'd just stay outside looking at those mountains...gorgeous! Oh.

I've got quite a view myself...as soon as I get batteries I'll share a pic of it with you guys...

SeattleSun
Apr 12th 2007, 10:12 PM
Oh Mercy! What a beautiful family to go with the setting!

Thank you for sharing! :hug:

Mercy4Me
Apr 12th 2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks, guys...sorry the faces are kind of dark. I'll post a better family photo another time. The snow-capped peak to their left is a fourteener--Long's Peak--meaning 14,000+ feet in elevation. The deck runs completely around the house; the one they're standing on is outside the living room, which has two full sliding doors with that view! The whole main level is FULL of windows, and the upper level has a balcony off of every bedroom. The house is older, and has its quirks, and the road is...difficult...but oh, they are so happy! Planning to get snowed in this weekend, which is their 7th anniversary and Tom's BD weekend (same day)...and I think they couldn't be happier!

Libby...yes! Please! Photos! Is it a city view? We stayed in downtown Denver last year for our anniversary, and the city was so magnificent at night!

Sonja, you can post pictures, too... I'd love to see Seattle! Sadly, I found a cruise that I like from Vancouver/Vancouver...we may not make Seattle this time. I'm going to bite the bullet and apply for passports...hope I can get them by Sept. I have to send away for my birth cert. I think. I don't think we're taking the girls. Would like to save money and have an anniversary trip alone this time. We could use it...these last years since the accident have been a challenge, and my poor dear hubby takes up so much of the slack when I'm not able. I want to bless him!

Oh, boy....gotta stop typing again...I'm in a chatty mood:rolleyes: Sorry, Parson...

Cloudwalker
Apr 13th 2007, 12:08 AM
Mercy, Vancouver to Vancouver. Great. So, what is the rest of the itenerary. Do you get up into Glacier Bay? What cruise line? What ports are you visiting? Details, we want Details. :pp By the way does your daughter have room for one more? I've been away from the mountains for to long. I'm starting to have withdrawl. :rofl: BTW, when you get back from Alaska we expect you to post pictures.

Philip had witnessed miracles, but he latched onto the idea that feeding all those people with a meager amount of money was impossible.

I think Philip could just as easily be called detail challenged. He was so caught up in the details that he didn't see the possiblility of the miracles, even though he had already witnessed some.

Mercy4Me
Apr 13th 2007, 01:16 AM
Mercy, Vancouver to Vancouver. Great. So, what is the rest of the itenerary. Do you get up into Glacier Bay? What cruise line? What ports are you visiting? Details, we want Details. :pp By the way does your daughter have room for one more? I've been away from the mountains for to long. I'm starting to have withdrawl. :rofl: BTW, when you get back from Alaska we expect you to post pictures.

I think Philip could just as easily be called detail challenged. He was so caught up in the details that he didn't see the possiblility of the miracles, even though he had already witnessed some.

Oh, good, I get to talk about it! Cruising Inside Passage, Ketchikan, Hubbard Glacier, Skagway, Sitka, Cruising Inside Passage, back to Vancouver. It's Royal Caribbean...They've got the Sept. 7 on their "Hot Deals" page, but I can't afford to book it yet! I hope there's still some availability when I have the funds. Hubby just informed me we have to take the girls--he thinks I'll miss them too much, and since our anniversary is actually not till Oct 8, he's calling it my birthday cruise instead, which is in Sept. :D

And Sarah does have an attic available...no heat or windows, but a couple of skylights...hope you don't mind. :rolleyes: :spin:

I really like Philip...hope JMac doesn't call him TOO many names...

Cloudwalker
Apr 13th 2007, 02:39 AM
Oh, good, I get to talk about it! Cruising Inside Passage, Ketchikan, Hubbard Glacier, Skagway, Sitka, Cruising Inside Passage, back to Vancouver. It's Royal Caribbean...They've got the Sept. 7 on their "Hot Deals" page, but I can't afford to book it yet! I hope there's still some availability when I have the funds. Hubby just informed me we have to take the girls--he thinks I'll miss them too much, and since our anniversary is actually not till Oct 8, he's calling it my birthday cruise instead, which is in Sept.

And Sarah does have an attic available...no heat or windows, but a couple of skylights...hope you don't mind.

My wife and I cruised Alaska for our honeymoon. Was on Princess line. Only went one direction. Panned for gold in Ketchikan, and danced with native americans in Sitka. Royal Caribbean is a good line. Attic is fine. :spin: :D. Don't need heat. Sleep better when it's cold. Have a good sleeping bag. Can watch the stars through the sky lights. :rofl: I'm on the way. BTW, where am I going?:rolleyes:

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 02:07 PM
I read Philip last night and was somewhat disappointed. I thought to myself...here we go again...here's JMac slaughtering the poor guy. So, after reading, I just sat there and pondered. I've learned to ask Him to open my eyes to the wonderful things in His Word. Well.

All of a sudden it dawned on me. JMac is not only right in being harsh towards Philip, in my opinion, he's not harsh enough!

I learned so many things last night. It was an adventure! I can't wait to share with you guys.

Ok, here's Jesus, asking Philip how they're going to feed this throng of people. Now. Philip was with Jesus when He made water into wine. Is this not a big enough miracle for Philip??? How on earth did he forget that one?

Then...these guys all knew the Scriptures, they knew them well. How could Philip forget the manna? Or if the manna wasn't good enough, what about those quail?????

So, I'm sitting there really disgusted with Philip. Really. And then the revelation comes. I AM PHILIP, too!!! How MANY times have I had a situation where all I need to do is leave it to God, period. How many times have I relied on my own brain-power, my own reasoning, JUST LIKE PHILIP. I have NO excuse. My eyes have seen His power, I have witnessed up close and personal His miracles, His grace, His mercy, His salvation, yet I too still start figuring it out, JUST LIKE PHILIP. Oh.

My eyes were opened. Again. I asked Him to help me remember this worthy message, that it is THROUGH CHRIST, and Christ alone that all things are possible. Yes, the feeding of the 5,000 and the life of Liz. Every single second of my life needs to be more of Him and less of me.

I am so filled with joy that my eyes were opened, my heart was opened to my Philip Moment. In this pitiful story, where Philip forgets the glory of our Savior and starts 'figuring it all out' He has reminded me of how awesome and real He is.

Thank you, Father, for this Philip Moment. Thank you for revealing to me that as I looked with scorn on Philip's lack of understanding, that You opened my eyes to my own lack of understanding. Thank You for being the Living, Powerful Lord, the Lord of abundance in my life. Thank You for being SO REAL to me last night, that I could feel Your holy presence right there with me, teaching me just as you did Philip. Teaching me, forgiving me, and loving me, just as You did Philip.

Oh, and one more thing. I think that Jesus would have been pleased with Philip if he had answered with God's own words. "What, has the Lord's arm been shortened?????" When Moses started 'figuring it all out' just like Philip, how was he going to feed meat to all those grumbling Israelites, that was God's answer to him. I love that answer. That's just what Philip should have answered to Jesus. "What, has the Lord's arm been shortened? He IS Jehovah Jirah. He WILL provide."

Mercy4Me
Apr 13th 2007, 02:27 PM
I read Philip last night and was somewhat disappointed. I thought to myself...here we go again...here's JMac slaughtering the poor guy. So, after reading, I just sat there and pondered. I've learned to ask Him to open my eyes to the wonderful things in His Word. Well.

All of a sudden it dawned on me. JMac is not only right in being harsh towards Philip, in my opinion, he's not harsh enough!

I learned so many things last night. It was an adventure! I can't wait to share with you guys.

Ok, here's Jesus, asking Philip how they're going to feed this throng of people. Now. Philip was with Jesus when He made water into wine. Is this not a big enough miracle for Philip??? How on earth did he forget that one?

Then...these guys all knew the Scriptures, they knew them well. How could Philip forget the manna? Or if the manna wasn't good enough, what about those quail?????

So, I'm sitting there really disgusted with Philip. Really. And then the revelation comes. I AM PHILIP, too!!! How MANY times have I had a situation where all I need to do is leave it to God, period. How many times have I relied on my own brain-power, my own reasoning, JUST LIKE PHILIP. I have NO excuse. My eyes have seen His power, I have witnessed up close and personal His miracles, His grace, His mercy, His salvation, yet I too still start figuring it out, JUST LIKE PHILIP. Oh.

My eyes were opened. Again. I asked Him to help me remember this worthy message, that it is THROUGH CHRIST, and Christ alone that all things are possible. Yes, the feeding of the 5,000 and the life of Liz. Every single second of my life needs to be more of Him and less of me.

I am so filled with joy that my eyes were opened, my heart was opened to my Philip Moment. In this pitiful story, where Philip forgets the glory of our Savior and starts 'figuring it all out' He has reminded me of how awesome and real He is.

Thank you, Father, for this Philip Moment. Thank you for revealing to me that as I looked with scorn on Philip's lack of understanding, that You opened my eyes to my own lack of understanding. Thank You for being the Living, Powerful Lord, the Lord of abundance in my life. Thank You for being SO REAL to me last night, that I could feel Your holy presence right there with me, teaching me just as you did Philip. Teaching me, forgiving me, and loving me, just as You did Philip.

Oh, and one more thing. I think that Jesus would have been pleased with Philip if he had answered with God's own words. "What, has the Lord's arm been shortened?????" When Moses started 'figuring it all out' just like Philip, how was he going to feed meat to all those grumbling Israelites, that was God's answer to him. I love that answer. That's just what Philip should have answered to Jesus. "What, has the Lord's arm been shortened? He IS Jehovah Jirah. He WILL provide."

Ah, Libby, I don't think that was just YOUR Philip moment...it was meant for all of us. Wow..."Has the Lord's arm been shortened?" What a revelation! Praise Him...He IS in control, isn't He!

I need to re-read this chapter...it's been a few weeks since I last read it. I'm probably going to see a lot more of ME than even you did, Libby...I am a total bean counter...as you can probably tell. :rolleyes: If anybody's got to have things under control, and have everything figured out way ahead of time, it's me...I don't know what a "process person" is, like you guys were talking about, but it might be me???

JMac explains that he was pessimistic, analytical and pragmatic (he said more, I'm leaving those out for now). He didn't see the "big picture" and failed to grasp Christ's supernatural power by which he cites the feeding of the 5,000 in John 6.

THAT definitely sounds like me. I hope Jesus did something good with Philip...:rolleyes:

Mercy4Me
Apr 13th 2007, 02:30 PM
So, I wonder what the counter-virtues are to PAP (pessimistic, analytical, and pragmatic)...

Optimistic...then what? I mean, to me, being analytical and pragmatic are somewhat good things...it does interfere with being "of faith" sometimes, I guess.

Hmmm....

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 02:33 PM
Morning everybody. I have a confession to make....I didn't read Philip last night...:o For some reason unbeknownest to me, I was led to start reading Matthew again, so I spent several hours going over what I read and reading all the study notes in my new Bible.
My sister-in-law who had cancer passed away last night just before midnight. I had been praying for God to call her to repentance before her death, and I have faith that He did, and she did. I have spent some time going over all the things we did together, and how much I loved her like a real sister. As regrets and doubts began to creep in, I suddenly felt an inner peace come over me, as I know that Penny knew how much I loved her, and what time we did spend together was great. My doubts of not calling her enough and such were pretty much eradicated by that peace I felt.
I will try to read Philip this morning.
MsLibby, thank you soooo much for your prayer. I feel my life is going to be taking on a different direction, and since the driver is Jesus, I am not afraid of that journey. I don't feel the trip will be a physical one, but a spirtual ride that will change my life forever. :) :hug: :kiss: God Bless.

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 02:34 PM
And Mercy, what a beautiful family! Love the view, as well! :hug: God Bless.

Mercy4Me
Apr 13th 2007, 02:37 PM
Oh, Misty, I'm so sorry about your sister in law...and I'm so grateful that you've been able to find peace. I'm anxious to see the new direction that Jesus will be steering you in to!

I'll be praying for you all over these next few days and weeks...it will definitely be a time for adjustment for everyone.:hug: :kiss:

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 02:38 PM
Good morning! :wave:

Libby, what a great post. :hug: I do believe that JMac is so hard on all of them is to show us how we're just like them. And we can be just like them as we grow in our walks.

The way JMac writes about the 5,000 is so revealing in our own lack of faith -- who are we to criticize Philip when everyday we do the same thing.

John 6:5 Lifting up his eyes, then, and seeing that a large crowd was coming toward him, Jesus said to Philip, "Where are we to buy bread, so that these people may eat?" 6He said this to test him, for he himself knew what he would do.

How many times have I failed, not even realizing I was taking a test? :(

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 02:41 PM
I hope Jesus did something good with Philip...:rolleyes:

This made me laugh ~ I got such a kick out of how JMac said this about Philip ~ (paraphrasing here...) NO, don't let him become one of the twelve most important figures in the history of the world! lol!

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 02:41 PM
Misty, I'm so sorry about Penny. :hug: I thank God that you're at peace and I pray that He continues to hold you and your family in His arms.

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 02:44 PM
Morning everybody. I have a confession to make....I didn't read Philip last night...:o For some reason unbeknownest to me, I was led to start reading Matthew again, so I spent several hours going over what I read and reading all the study notes in my new Bible.
My sister-in-law who had cancer passed away last night just before midnight. I had been praying for God to call her to repentance before her death, and I have faith that He did, and she did. I have spent some time going over all the things we did together, and how much I loved her like a real sister. As regrets and doubts began to creep in, I suddenly felt an inner peace come over me, as I know that Penny knew how much I loved her, and what time we did spend together was great. My doubts of not calling her enough and such were pretty much eradicated by that peace I felt.
I will try to read Philip this morning.
MsLibby, thank you soooo much for your prayer. I feel my life is going to be taking on a different direction, and since the driver is Jesus, I am not afraid of that journey. I don't feel the trip will be a physical one, but a spirtual ride that will change my life forever. :) :hug: :kiss: God Bless.

This is VERY interesting Misty. You are behind me in time...perhaps that blessing that washed over me regarding you was the peace you were feeling?? I'm almost sure of it...it was REAL and powerful and it was for you.

I am so sorry for your loss. Hold on to Him. You are deeply loved.

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 02:46 PM
How many times have I failed, not even realizing I was taking a test? :(

Yep. Me, too. Not even knowing it...

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 03:09 PM
Oh, Mercy, I wanted to comment but got so carried away with my Philip Moment...your daughter is SO blessed to not only have that view, but to have a patio that surrounds her home with that view. Wow.

About my view...God brought me to Venice. Yep. My own private Venice. :) Right smack dab in the middle of Texas, I live in Venice. He not only brought me back to my beloved canal, He brought me back to the BEST part of it. Here's a picture of what all of my windows look out onto. It's only a few feet away from me. (this isn't my part of the canal...like I said, I don't have batteries for my camera yet, but my part is BETTER! Really! Much closer to the water...)

http://www.omnihotels.com/upload/images/hotels/dalman/property_photos/408/dalman-pro-9.jpg

Mercy4Me
Apr 13th 2007, 03:26 PM
Oh, Libby, that is so beautiful! He brought you back to streams of living water! What a precious blessing...I am so glad. Now may He restore your soul, as well!

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake."

For you, too, Misty:

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me."

And for all of us:

"You prepare a table before me
In the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
Forever."

Psalm 23, of course! It still applies!

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 03:26 PM
Oh, Mercy, I wanted to comment but got so carried away with my Philip Moment...your daughter is SO blessed to not only have that view, but to have a patio that surrounds her home with that view. Wow.

About my view...God brought me to Venice. Yep. My own private Venice. :) Right smack dab in the middle of Texas, I live in Venice. He not only brought me back to my beloved canal, He brought me back to the BEST part of it. Here's a picture of what all of my windows look out onto. It's only a few feet away from me. (this isn't my part of the canal...like I said, I don't have batteries for my camera yet, but my part is BETTER! Really! Much closer to the water...)

http://www.omnihotels.com/upload/images/hotels/dalman/property_photos/408/dalman-pro-9.jpg

Gee, I am feeling jealous...lol. Guess I have to drudge up a picture of the view I have from the top of my yard....
Thanx everybody for your prayers and your concerns. God Bless.

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 03:30 PM
We're in good form this morning! :hug:

Psalms just amaze me and I pray they always will. The comfort and encouragement in each one giving us our own message. I'm in awe.

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 03:36 PM
Sonja, thank you for reminding us of those wonderful promises. :hug: :kiss:

For some reason, I'm thinking of a song that I recently heard...it goes something like this: isn't He good, isn't He good, hasn't He done all He said He would...

Don't be jealous, Misty...I mean, you've got the mountains and glory of them where you live...I've only got texas...not much to look at. Well, cept for my canal, that is.

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 03:38 PM
Psalms just amaze me and I pray they always will. The comfort and encouragement in each one giving us our own message. I'm in awe

Speaking of the Psalms, anyone here know anything about 'The treasury of David'? I heard something in passing...I think it's a commentary on the Psalms. I can google...just wondered if anyone here knows anything?

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 03:44 PM
Misty...does your sister in law live by you? Is the funeral local, or do you have to travel? Or can you even go? Let me know please?

Are you ok? I know that grief comes in waves...

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 03:44 PM
well, I was gonna show you a picture but it won't work. Ugh! :cry:

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 03:45 PM
Speaking of the Psalms, anyone here know anything about 'The treasury of David'? I heard something in passing...I think it's a commentary on the Psalms. I can google...just wondered if anyone here knows anything?

I googled for you!

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Commentaries/TreasuryofDavid/

Its Spurgeon, all 7 volumes!

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 03:47 PM

Email it to me, if you want...I'll help. :kiss:

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 03:49 PM
I googled for you!

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Commentaries/TreasuryofDavid/

Its Spurgeon, all 7 volumes!

Wow! I'm impressed, not by the books, but that you found them all, free, online! I opened and read the first page...I want them! I do! Going to check half.com and see how much they are there.

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 03:50 PM

:hug: Did you put it in photobucket? That's the only way I know how to do it. I don't have any batteries either, so no picture of my territorial view as its called.

Remember Frasier? When I had an apartment, that was my view! Not anymore. :rolleyes:

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 03:51 PM
:hug: Did you put it in photobucket? That's the only way I know how to do it. I don't have any batteries either, so no picture of my territorial view as its called.

Remember Frasier? When I had an apartment, that was my view! Not anymore. :rolleyes:

It's in photo bucket but the pic comes up as a red x.

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 03:54 PM
Email it to me, if you want...I'll help. :kiss:

I e-mailed it to ya....thanx. :hug:

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 03:55 PM
Wow! I'm impressed, not by the books, but that you found them all, free, online! I opened and read the first page...I want them! I do! Going to check half.com and see how much they are there.

Its really cheap if you print them off from the site. :lol:

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 03:57 PM
It's in photo bucket but the pic comes up as a red x.

Libby will fix it! :pp I've had that happen and I'm clueless. If Libby can't fix it, you could post the link.

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 04:05 PM
http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/kittyinirving/th_wednesday111.jpg

I'm sorry...I can't get it bigger! grrrrrr, maybe Sonja can?? I'll send it to you, k?

And YOU'RE JEALOUS??? With THIS view??? http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/daane.gif

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 04:09 PM
That's Misty's view????? :o Wow!!!!

Okay, had to share this from the site I linked. Its part of the commentary on Psalm 23. I NEVER even thought about this to make a connection! I'm so dense. :rolleyes:

The position of this psalm is worthy of notice. It follows the twenty-second, which is peculiarly the Psalm of the Cross. There are no green pastures, no still waters on the other side of the twenty-second psalm. It is only after we have read, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" that we come to "The Lord is my Shepherd." We must by experience know the value of blood shedding, and see the sword awakened against the Shepherd, before we shall be able truly to know the Sweetness of the good Shepherd's care.

:amen:

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 04:18 PM
Let's see if it worked.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g191/Schrd27/wednesday111.jpg?t=1176480965

Sheesh, all that's there is the link. Does it work? Its my album, so I know I can get there. :lol:

Beautiful Misty! What's the name of the mountain?

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 04:35 PM
http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/kittyinirving/th_wednesday111.jpg

I'm sorry...I can't get it bigger! grrrrrr, maybe Sonja can?? I'll send it to you, k?

And YOU'RE JEALOUS??? With THIS view??? http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/daane.gif

thank you! :hug: :kiss:

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 04:36 PM
Let's see if it worked.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g191/Schrd27/wednesday111.jpg?t=1176480965

Sheesh, all that's there is the link. Does it work? Its my album, so I know I can get there. :lol:

Beautiful Misty! What's the name of the mountain?

Not sure... I think it's the Rockies...??

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 04:43 PM
Misty...does your sister in law live by you? Is the funeral local, or do you have to travel? Or can you even go? Let me know please?

Are you ok? I know that grief comes in waves...

No. She lived in Ohio. I can't go, but it's ok.
I just talked to my brother. He is pretty upset, but I think he'll snap out of it quick. She suffered soooo much, and we know she's in a better place now. He assured me that Penny was right with God, and I knew she was. :) She was in a coma once, and came out of it for like three days, then she slipped back into a coma and had been for 4 days, so she went peacefully. :pray: She was a very strong woman, and if I had just a fourth of her strength, I would be satisfied. :) God Bless.

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 04:51 PM
You guys are too fast for me. :mad:

Sonja ~ PERFECT! Thanks! Talking about Misty's view, I mean.

And that commentary on the Psalms is too wonderful! Now, this is what bothers me. I NEVER got that! It upsets me...here I've read both Psalms many times before, yet I never put the two together and realized that the 23rd comes after the grueling cross. I get so disgusted with myself that I need help and didn't see it myself. Sigh...I guess that comes with more study, huh? So much to learn...

And from reading that, it makes me want it even more. The free online is a good bargain, but it sure doesn't have the beauty or longevity of a real book...I might have to buy this one. Thank you so much for finding that...I think it's just what I've been wanting. I don't have anything in my library of Charles Spurgeons...maybe I'll just invest in this.

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 04:56 PM
No. She lived in Ohio. I can't go, but it's ok.
I just talked to my brother. He is pretty upset, but I think he'll snap out of it quick. She suffered soooo much, and we know she's in a better place now. He assured me that Penny was right with God, and I knew she was. :) She was in a coma once, and came out of it for like three days, then she slipped back into a coma and had been for 4 days, so she went peacefully. :pray: She was a very strong woman, and if I had just a fourth of her strength, I would be satisfied. :) God Bless.

Oh. I hate it that you can't go. I'm so sorry for this, but I know you're beyond relieved to hear your brother's assurance that she was right with God. Now she's in Glory. What a thought. When my exhusband went in January, I didn't have that blessed assurance, in fact, I had the opposite assurance. I know that just knowing she is with our Father will bring you peace, Misty. But still...it's so sad, so hard, to say goodbye.

Take good care of yourself this weekend...wrap yourself up in His arms while you're grieving...:kiss:

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 04:57 PM
You guys are too fast for me. :mad:

Sonja ~ PERFECT! Thanks! Talking about Misty's view, I mean.

And that commentary on the Psalms is too wonderful! Now, this is what bothers me. I NEVER got that! It upsets me...here I've read both Psalms many times before, yet I never put the two together and realized that the 23rd comes after the grueling cross. I get so disgusted with myself that I need help and didn't see it myself. Sigh...I guess that comes with more study, huh? So much to learn...

And from reading that, it makes me want it even more. The free online is a good bargain, but it sure doesn't have the beauty or longevity of a real book...I might have to buy this one. Thank you so much for finding that...I think it's just what I've been wanting. I don't have anything in my library of Charles Spurgeons...maybe I'll just invest in this.

I took a small peek at it as well. I may be investing myself...lol. I think I do have a book by Charles Spurgeon, just not sure which one. I'll have to go see later.
Yes, Thank You Sonja! :hug: I was probably just not thinking straight when I was trying to put it in there a bit ago.
I read Philip. I have to agree with Libby. We are Philip! I love the way that we can relate to each of the apostles. It gives me more praise for the Lord for how smart He is, we can't even fathom it. He knew we would need encouragement, along with our faith. It really encourages me that the apostles were just like us. They had faults and undesirable personality quirks, just like we all do. God can use anyone, as long as they are humbled and willing. :pp God Bless.

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 04:58 PM
Take good care of yourself this weekend...wrap yourself up in His arms while you're grieving...:kiss:

Misty, and know we'll be with you too, in prayer. :hug:

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 05:00 PM
Yep. That's what's so wonderful about this study...I was one of those people who thought of the disciples as spiritual giants...how wonderful, how hopeful it's been learning that these guys were so ORDINARY. Just like us. Wow.

JMac has helped me grow in the Word so much through all these guys...so have you all. This study has been one of my blessings. A beautiful blessing.

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 05:00 PM
Oh. I hate it that you can't go. I'm so sorry for this, but I know you're beyond relieved to hear your brother's assurance that she was right with God. Now she's in Glory. What a thought. When my exhusband went in January, I didn't have that blessed assurance, in fact, I had the opposite assurance. I know that just knowing she is with our Father will bring you peace, Misty. But still...it's so sad, so hard, to say goodbye.

Thank you. You know, I am not really grieving now. I did when I heard she was in a coma the first time. It hit me way harder than I would have imagined. But I know that she is with Jesus, and I am at peace with that. Who couldn't be? I will miss her, yes...but I had my turn with her, and she is in a better place now. :pp :hug: :kiss:

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 05:01 PM
Misty, and know we'll be with you too, in prayer. :hug:

thank you. I need all the prayer I can get...:lol: . I'm beginning to sound greedy here...lol. :hug: :kiss:

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 05:04 PM
Yep. That's what's so wonderful about this study...I was one of those people who thought of the disciples as spiritual giants...how wonderful, how hopeful it's been learning that these guys were so ORDINARY. Just like us. Wow.

JMac has helped me grow in the Word so much through all these guys...so have you all. This study has been one of my blessings. A beautiful blessing.

I would have to agree with everything you said here. :) :hug: :kiss: I have learned sooo much. And getting to know you guys is the biggest blessing of all....;) :spin:

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 05:16 PM
And getting to know you guys is the biggest blessing of all....;) :spin:

http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/exactly.gif

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 05:25 PM
I would have to agree with everything you said here. :) :hug: :kiss: I have learned sooo much. And getting to know you guys is the biggest blessing of all....;) :spin:

My feelings exactly! http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/groepsvergadering.gif

Looks like we're in a huddle. :lol:

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 05:30 PM
I feel a tear coming on here....:cry: :pp :)

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 05:43 PM
I feel a tear coming on here....:cry: :pp :)

http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/klemme.gif Awww, here, have some pizza! http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/pizza.gif

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 05:47 PM
http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/klemme.gif Awww, here, have some pizza! http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/pizza.gif

Now see, you ruined it! :cry: Now I am just really really hungry, and that looks sooooooo good! :lol: :lol: Thank You! :hug: :kiss: :P

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 06:00 PM
3. In the author's words, "Peter, Andrew and John (and likely James as well) had more or less found Jesus. To be precise, they had been directed to Him by John the Baptist" (p. 122). In light of this, what made Philip's encounter with Christ unique?

Jesus sought Philip out.

John 1:43 The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, "Follow Me".

We know that John and Andrew began following Him because of John the Baptist. Andrew brought Peter to Him. And with Philip, Jesus went looking for him. JMac puts it well:

"From the outset, Jesus actively sought Philip. He found him. He invited him to follow. And He found in Philip an eager and willing disciple."

I never made this connection either. :rolleyes:

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 06:05 PM
Now see, you ruined it! :cry: Now I am just really really hungry, and that looks sooooooo good! :lol: :lol: Thank You! :hug: :kiss: :P

It does look good! I made a ham for Easter. 6 1/2 pounds of spiral ham, for two people. :rolleyes: I love ham and its so versatile, but that pizza is sounding good! :lol:

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 06:28 PM
Ok, Sonja, enough talk of ham,......oh...yum...yum...I am so hungry...LOL.
I like that Jesus sought Philip out. It is sort of like the way Jesus calls on us through the Holy Spirit. Knocking on the doors of our hearts. Philip had an open heart, and readily followed. The perfect example of called, convicted, and saved through free will. God Bless.

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 06:41 PM
Ok, Sonja, enough talk of ham,......oh...yum...yum...I am so hungry...LOL.
I like that Jesus sought Philip out. It is sort of like the way Jesus calls on us through the Holy Spirit. Knocking on the doors of our hearts. Philip had an open heart, and readily followed. The perfect example of called, convicted, and saved through free will. God Bless.

Come on over, I got plenty! :lol:

We're creeping up on election. That concept confuses me -- when I think I have it figured out, I lose it and start overthinking it. Oh well, you guys can help me out with it when we get there. I don't ever want to say that Scripture conflicts, but with election it almost does.

JMac says its difficult from a human perspective. No kidding!

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 06:47 PM
Come on over, I got plenty! :lol:

We're creeping up on election. That concept confuses me -- when I think I have it figured out, I lose it and start overthinking it. Oh well, you guys can help me out with it when we get there. I don't ever want to say that Scripture conflicts, but with election it almost does.

JMac says its difficult from a human perspective. No kidding!

Most usually things that are easy to obtain, and retain, aren't worth the effort. :hug: :kiss: God Bless.

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 07:04 PM
The way I understand election ~ I mean, the way it all makes perfect sense to me, is that He knew the end from the beginning. When one looks at it that way, it makes perfect sense. God calls us and free will all flow perfectly together if one remembers He knew the end at the beginning.

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 07:04 PM
Misty ~ have a sandwich, girl! You're making me hungry...and I just had pizza! :lol:

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 07:08 PM
Misty ~ have a sandwich, girl! You're making me hungry...and I just had pizza! :lol:

hey, no fair! LOl. I am eating some cheetos. I will survive. Had a bit of a stomach virus the last couple of days, but my stomach is telling me it's alllll better. :lol: :rofl:

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 07:17 PM
hey, no fair! LOl. I am eating some cheetos. I will survive. Had a bit of a stomach virus the last couple of days, but my stomach is telling me it's alllll better. :lol: :rofl:

Bet your keyboard is turning orange...:lol: Those cheetos are dangerous.

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 07:20 PM

I love cheetos! Hand 'em over! Is your keyboard all orangey now? :lol:

The way I understand election ~ I mean, the way it all makes perfect sense to me, is that He knew the end from the beginning. When one looks at it that way, it makes perfect sense. God calls us and free will all flow perfectly together if one remembers He knew the end at the beginning.

JMac says it well, of course:

"Here we see the classic tension between sovereign election and human choice. Philip's call is a perfect illustration of how both exist in perfect harmony. The Lord found Phillip, but Philip felt he found the Lord. Beth things were true from the human perspective. But from a biblical perspective, we know that God's choice is the determinative one. "You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you." (John 15:16)"

That's just a start. :rolleyes: I thought God wanted ALL of us. Why wouldn't He choose everyone?

Stop! Its not time for election! :lol:

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 07:26 PM
Bet your keyboard is turning orange...:lol: Those cheetos are dangerous.

hahahhaha...you caught me. I use a wet paper towel sometimes, but not today...:blush:

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 07:28 PM
I love cheetos! Hand 'em over! Is your keyboard all orangey now? :lol:

JMac says it well, of course:

"Here we see the classic tension between sovereign election and human choice. Philip's call is a perfect illustration of how both exist in perfect harmony. The Lord found Phillip, but Philip felt he found the Lord. Beth things were true from the human perspective. But from a biblical perspective, we know that God's choice is the determinative one. "You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you." (John 15:16)"

That's just a start. :rolleyes: I thought God wanted ALL of us. Why wouldn't He choose everyone?

Stop! Its not time for election! :lol:

let me try to make it easy for you. It is a hard concept to grasp. God does choose us, but we have to choose Him in order to be saved. As God knows the beginning from the end, and the end from the beginning, He already knows who will choose to accept Him and who will not. :)

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 07:52 PM
let me try to make it easy for you. It is a hard concept to grasp. God does choose us, but we have to choose Him in order to be saved. As God knows the beginning from the end, and the end from the beginning, He already knows who will choose to accept Him and who will not. :)

The last part I get! I think I get the rest of it, because our free will has to be a part of it. So anyone who is seeking God, with an earnest heart will find Him.

20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

We'll sort it out, even through my denseness. :hug:

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 08:00 PM
The last part I get! I think I get the rest of it, because our free will has to be a part of it. So anyone who is seeking God, with an earnest heart will find Him.

20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

We'll sort it out, even through my denseness. :hug:

Of course we will, with a little help from the Holy Spirit...well, ok, a lot of help from the Holy Spirit....:lol: Aren't you glad we don't have to rely on ourselves? :hug:

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 08:01 PM
Election is a very controversial issue, in the church, Sonja. Much like the end times...lots of different opinions.

I prayed on it, and pondered it for quite a while. JMac's book The God who Loves was some help...though not sure I am in total agreement with his summary. Not sure...the truth was that I came to such a peaceful understanding of it...the key was the end from the beginning. That's when it all 'fit' for me.

I believe as Misty does from her post. And I know He desires us ALL. For God so LOVED THE WORLD, for one thing. He wants everyone. But since He knows who will chose Him, He knew from before the beginning of time, that's the elect. He calls us all, but only some of us answer the call. And He knows who those are.

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 08:02 PM
Aren't you glad we don't have to rely on ourselves? :hug:

Whew doggie, AND HOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Father, for Your Wisdom.

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 08:20 PM
Whew doggie, AND HOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Father, for Your Wisdom.

:rofl: :rofl: Never ever have I seen you post "Whew doggie, AND HOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

However, I'm in full agreement and couldn't say it better myself! :hug:

I'm going to go find one of his teachings on it in the JMac Library. The little bit in TOM was good, but not enough. Controversial? Christians can argue about anything and everything. :rolleyes:

Iron sharpening iron, so its all good. :D

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 08:54 PM
Lol, I'm in the JMac Library, and there's 9 papers on election, so my work is cut out for me! Yay! I said that Scripture seems conflicting, no wonder I thought that.

“He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world” (Eph. 1:4).

Jesus said, “All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out” (John 6:37).

Admittedly the two concepts don’t seem to go together. However, both are true separately, and we must accept them both by faith. You may not understand it, but rest assured—it’s fully reconciled in the mind of God.

You must understand that your faith and salvation rest entirely on God’s election (cf. Acts 13:48). And yet the day you came to Jesus Christ, you did so because of an internal desire—you did nothing against your will. But even that desire is God-given—He supplies the necessary faith so we can believe (Eph. 2:8).

Think about it—if your salvation depends on you, then praise to God is ridiculous. But, in truth, your praise to God is completely appropriate, because in forming the Body before the world began, He chose you by His sovereign decree apart from any of your works. The doctrine of election demonstrates God being God, exercising divine prerogatives. For that we must praise Him.

http://www.biblebb.com/files/MAC/GTYW02.htm

Yes we must! Praise be to the Most High!

There's more explanation and JMac clears up my confusion. I'll read the other papers too, then I can help you guys! :lol: Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 09:16 PM
Never ever have I seen you post "Whew doggie, AND HOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I was being a Texan. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/bryddsmil.gif

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 09:23 PM

here's my sister-in-law's obit...

http://www.webfh.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=122914&fh_id=10570

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 09:26 PM

And a good Texan you are! :hug: Do you have any idea what the phrase means?

SeattleSun
Apr 13th 2007, 09:31 PM

:hug: That's nice. I like how she was always smiling. :)

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 09:36 PM
:hug: That's nice. I like how she was always smiling. :)

the pic of her shows how swelled she was in the last years since she had been getting chemo. she wasn't normally that pudgy and she had a beautiful smile. :)

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 09:56 PM

Oh. That was just so sad. She was only 47? Oh, thank God she was saved. I don't even know her, and it made me sad... It shouldn't ~ she's in heaven and in no more pain, but still...it's hard to see someone so young leave... Misty-:hug: :kiss: Someday you two will have a lot to catch up on.

MsLibby
Apr 13th 2007, 09:57 PM
And a good Texan you are! :hug: Do you have any idea what the phrase means?

Nope. But it sure sounded good. :lol:

jesuslover1968
Apr 13th 2007, 10:31 PM
Oh. That was just so sad. She was only 47? Oh, thank God she was saved. I don't even know her, and it made me sad... It shouldn't ~ she's in heaven and in no more pain, but still...it's hard to see someone so young leave... Misty-:hug: :kiss: Someday you two will have a lot to catch up on.

yeah, it really wakes you up to realize that they won't always be there. I guess I just always assumed I'd go first...

Mercy4Me
Apr 14th 2007, 01:35 AM
Oh, you guys! Have you had problems with getting your e-mail notifications with these threads? Mine stopped with John a few pages in, then started again with Philip, but stopped today again. I didn't even know you were posting over here! I was messing around on the computer all day, but never got a notification you were posting. :mad: Maybe I didn't log in after the last notice...I'll see what happens later, but I know with John the notices stopped.

But, the funny thing is, when I finally did get over here to read THREE pages of posts, and was following through the thread, I'd respond in my mind to someone's post, and then one of YOU would reply exactly what I was thinking! EVEN about the orange keyboard!! :rolleyes: I am obviously not needed here at all...:D

Election/Predestination is according to God's foreknowledge, I Pet. 1:2...as Libby and Misty said, God knows ahead of time who will respond to His call, so He calls those who will respond.

Gotta go for now...I hope you all have a lovely weekend! Love you!!!

SeattleSun
Apr 14th 2007, 02:13 AM
EVEN about the orange keyboard!!

:rofl: Misty had paper towels. :D

I be missing you:hug:

Mercy4Me
Apr 14th 2007, 02:45 AM
Me too...

BTW, Misty, I love your view!!!! And I found if you have a photo on photobucket and click on "share", then right click on the picture and copy, the pic comes out large...probably too large! As big as mine. Here, that gives me a good reason to post another one :D A fairly recent one of Emily, with my husband, her grandpa!

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/Mercy58/Feb2007002.jpgOh, I think I had resized this one on the photobucket site, so it's not as big...

Cloudwalker
Apr 14th 2007, 03:09 AM
Speaking of the Psalms, anyone here know anything about 'The treasury of David'?

I used to have a copy of it. If I still have it, it is in a box in the shed. I looked and it isn't in the house.

Misty, sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. If you care to swing over to the poems board and read one of mine called "Dear Dad." I wrote it one night when my grief over loosing my dad came back with a vengence. Could hardly see to drive home, through the tears.

This is one of the most important reasons to engage in group bible study. Each of us brings a new viewpoint to the study and we learn from each other. Even "babes in Christ" can teach us "old fogies." We study to "show ourselves aproved. A workman rightly deviding the word of truth." However, we can never learn it all. I am convinced that there are some things that we will never understand. The dicodemy between Election and freewill, may be something we shall never fully understand. They are both in the bible but we may never completely understand it. The best we can do, in some cases, is to learn to live in the paradox. Remember, we are trying to understand an infinite God with a finite mind and that just doesn't work to good.

By the way I understand
"Whew doggie, AND HOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I speak Texan. (Couldn't begin to explain it to someone else. You have to be a Texan to understand). I'm a naturalized Texan.

By the way, someone mentioned John 3:16. I am preaching on that very verse tomorrow.

Mercy4Me
Apr 14th 2007, 04:55 PM
I used to have a copy of it. If I still have it, it is in a box in the shed. I looked and it isn't in the house.

Misty, sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. If you care to swing over to the poems board and read one of mine called "Dear Dad." I wrote it one night when my grief over loosing my dad came back with a vengence. Could hardly see to drive home, through the tears.

This is one of the most important reasons to engage in group bible study. Each of us brings a new viewpoint to the study and we learn from each other. Even "babes in Christ" can teach us "old fogies." We study to "show ourselves aproved. A workman rightly deviding the word of truth." However, we can never learn it all. I am convinced that there are some things that we will never understand. The dicodemy between Election and freewill, may be something we shall never fully understand. They are both in the bible but we may never completely understand it. The best we can do, in some cases, is to learn to live in the paradox. Remember, we are trying to understand an infinite God with a finite mind and that just doesn't work to good.

By the way I understand I speak Texan. (Couldn't begin to explain it to someone else. You have to be a Texan to understand). I'm a naturalized Texan.

By the way, someone mentioned John 3:16. I am preaching on that very verse tomorrow.

CW...share your sermon notes sometime, please??? Can someone please tell me (in English, not Texan--we don't speak that around here:spin: ) what the Treasury of David is? And, another question...regarding the Psalms....were they written in the order they are in our Bible? If not, and they were "randomly" assigned their order, then comparing one to the previous or later one wouldn't work, and each would stand on its own. However, at least the Psalms of David were all written by the same author, and his thoughts and feelings can certainly be compared from psalm to psalm. Would appreciate hearing some thoughts on this, from those of you who are in the know.

Thanks for your thoughts on election, CW...I agree. Kind of like the Trinity...it may just be that we're too finite to fully understand the ways of God.

Cloudwalker
Apr 14th 2007, 10:30 PM
First off, I would be happy to post my sermon on John 3:16. Just not sure where to put it here. I'll be glad to post it on this thread if you don't think it would be to long. I've written up a manuscript so that people in my church can have a copy if they would like. It is about three and a half typed pages. Naturally, the way I actually preach it will be somewhat different than the manuscrupt. I have already posted it on my other board.

The Treasury of David is a commentary on the Psalms. In this case I think it was written by Spurgeon. The Psalms were not written in the order that we have them. Most were written by David but there is at least one written by Moses and others written by other people. Their order, however, is hot just chance either. So comparing the order is valid. The Psalms, in short, is the hymnal that was used in Jewish worship, particularly in the Temple. It was put together. I suppose, much like any other hymnal. The study of the Psalms is very rich and rewarding. No matter what you are feeling, there is a Psalm that fits. Some of my favorites are Ps. 46:10a, Ps. 139:1-10, and Ps. 150. (This list is by no means exaustive).

By the way I am bi-lingual. I speak both English and Texan. I also speak a bit of Parsonese:rofl:

Mercy4Me
Apr 14th 2007, 11:25 PM
First off, I would be happy to post my sermon on John 3:16. Just not sure where to put it here. I'll be glad to post it on this thread if you don't think it would be to long. I've written up a manuscript so that people in my church can have a copy if they would like. It is about three and a half typed pages. Naturally, the way I actually preach it will be somewhat different than the manuscrupt. I have already posted it on my other board.

The Treasury of David is a commentary on the Psalms. In this case I think it was written by Spurgeon. The Psalms were not written in the order that we have them. Most were written by David but there is at least one written by Moses and others written by other people. Their order, however, is hot just chance either. So comparing the order is valid. The Psalms, in short, is the hymnal that was used in Jewish worship, particularly in the Temple. It was put together. I suppose, much like any other hymnal. The study of the Psalms is very rich and rewarding. No matter what you are feeling, there is a Psalm that fits. Some of my favorites are Ps. 46:10a, Ps. 139:1-10, and Ps. 150. (This list is by no means exaustive).

By the way I am bi-lingual. I speak both English and Texan. I also speak a bit of Parsonese:rofl:

Thanks, CW, for the info...that helps clear things up for me! Maybe you could start a new thread with your sermon...Bible Chat maybe? You'll receive some comments there, though, I'm sure! Which may or may not be a good thing...:rolleyes:

Parsonese?? Wow, I'm impressed...I've heard that one's REALLY difficult to learn. Did you study long? :D I'm afraid all I speak is Coloradan...although I used to know some SoCalifornian back when I still lived there, but I'm afraid I've, like, you know, forgotten, you know, like most of it. Well...maybe not...:spin:

Cloudwalker
Apr 15th 2007, 02:07 AM
Parsonese?? Wow, I'm impressed...I've heard that one's REALLY difficult to learn. Did you study long?

:D Didn't really study at all. I grew up speaking a related language called Dadism that often goes hand in hand with Parsonese. That's where I learned such words as kaddywampus, discombobulated, SNAFU, FUBAR and such phrases as "be all over you like a dirty shirt" and "turn you every which way but loose." I can guide you to where there is a parsonese dictionary if you would like. I even invented my own word for it SNAFUBAR. :rofl:

Mercy4Me
Apr 15th 2007, 02:27 AM
:D Didn't really study at all. I grew up speaking a related language called Dadism that often goes hand in hand with Parsonese. That's where I learned such words as kaddywampus, discombobulated, SNAFU, FUBAR and such phrases as "be all over you like a dirty shirt" and "turn you every which way but loose." I can guide you to where there is a parsonese dictionary if you would like. I even invented my own word for it SNAFUBAR. :rofl:

Wow! I grew up with all those words except FUBAR...don't have a clue on that one. So is a Snafubar something like an "Eskimo Pie"? My husband calls them milk nickels...I had to learn a whole new language when I married him! I'm not sure what you'd call it...

So I guess I can assume from this that the Parson is really your Dad, huh? :D

Cloudwalker
Apr 15th 2007, 10:44 PM
So I guess I can assume from this that the Parson is really your Dad, huh?

No, he and Dad just spoke similar languages.

Both SNAFU and FUBAR both came out of WWII. SNAFU meant Situation Normal All Fowled Up. FUBAR meant Fowled Up Beyond All Recognition. SNAFUBAR is my creation. Speaks to the modern world. Situation Normal All Fowled Up Beyond All Recognition.

SeattleSun
Apr 15th 2007, 11:59 PM
No, he and Dad just spoke similar languages.

Both SNAFU and FUBAR both came out of WWII. SNAFU meant Situation Normal All Fowled Up. FUBAR meant Fowled Up Beyond All Recognition. SNAFUBAR is my creation. Speaks to the modern world. Situation Normal All Fowled Up Beyond All Recognition.

I always heard it with a different word for the "F". :rofl:

How did your sermon go? Were you nervous? Details! :pp

Cloudwalker
Apr 16th 2007, 03:07 AM
I originaly heard a different word for "f" as well but cleaned it up because of my general audience.

As far as the sermon is concerned. It went great. Not to nervous. Not my first time preaching. I always say, however, that if you're not a bit nervous when you step forth to speak forth in Gods name, as you do when your preaching a sermon, then you probably not taking it seriously enough.

Funny thing, though. I always think that "This time I'm going to time myself and see how long I preach," and, somehow, I never seem to remember to do that when I start preaching. And I never stay exactly with my notes. (What preacher does). All in all, however, I'm not a long winded preacher. Though I do have a tendecy to get excited at times.

jesuslover1968
Apr 16th 2007, 03:06 PM
Funny thing, though. I always think that "This time I'm going to time myself and see how long I preach," and, somehow, I never seem to remember to do that when I start preaching. And I never stay exactly with my notes. (What preacher does). All in all, however, I'm not a long winded preacher. Though I do have a tendecy to get excited at times.

Maybe it's because with God, there IS no timetable. God is all in all. I am sure He wants us to spend however much time it takes getting out His Word. :hug: :pp God Bless.

Mercy4Me
Apr 16th 2007, 04:35 PM
I originaly heard a different word for "f" as well but cleaned it up because of my general audience.

As far as the sermon is concerned. It went great. Not to nervous. Not my first time preaching. I always say, however, that if you're not a bit nervous when you step forth to speak forth in Gods name, as you do when your preaching a sermon, then you probably not taking it seriously enough.

CW, I like that you always forget! I knew a preacher once who would take off his watch and lay it on the podium in order to time himself...he would glance at it constantly to make sure he wasn't going overtime. I realize that with so many churches going to multiple services, the preacher has to keep an eye on his time...but oh, how I wish we could go back to the days of a Spirit-led preacher who will talk till God tells him to stop! Can you imagine the midnight preaching services they held in Acts, in today's church? Misty's right, God's not on a timetable!

Good morning, everybody! Where are ya'll? (See, I'm learning Texan!)

SeattleSun
Apr 16th 2007, 04:40 PM
Wheeewww doggie! Good morning!

BUSY!!!! And Libby is home sick, or sleepless actually. She got absolutely NO sleep last night and has no idea why. But she'll be back tomorrow.

How is everyone? :hug:

Mercy4Me
Apr 16th 2007, 04:45 PM
Wheeewww doggie! Good morning!

BUSY!!!! And Libby is home sick, or sleepless actually. She got absolutely NO sleep last night and has no idea why. But she'll be back tomorrow.

How is everyone? :hug:

Good morning, Sonja! I'm doing okay...how are you? I got to spend yesterday at my daughter's...need to recuperate today. One day up the mountain makes me so sore...I'm starting to rethink the cruise thing. Just not sure I'll be able to do it physically...:( BUT, we did have a nice day there! Celebrated their 7th anniversary and Tom's BD...

So, what's up? Are we studying today, or should we wait for Libby to come back? Especially if you're busy today, too...I vote to wait for Libby, if it's okay with everybody else...but I'll do whatever you want!

SeattleSun
Apr 16th 2007, 06:06 PM
Good morning, Sonja! I'm doing okay...how are you? I got to spend yesterday at my daughter's...need to recuperate today. One day up the mountain makes me so sore...I'm starting to rethink the cruise thing. Just not sure I'll be able to do it physically...:( BUT, we did have a nice day there! Celebrated their 7th anniversary and Tom's BD...

So, what's up? Are we studying today, or should we wait for Libby to come back? Especially if you're busy today, too...I vote to wait for Libby, if it's okay with everybody else...but I'll do whatever you want!

Hey, cruises are for relaxing and never having to lift a finger! :hug:

And besides, there's no elevation to deal with -- you're at sea level! I think you should go!

We don't need to wait for Libby, I'll put a question up -- two actually!

SeattleSun
Apr 16th 2007, 06:08 PM
4. According to JMac, what might explain why the Greeks in John 12:20-21 sought out Philip (p. 128)?

5. For three years Philip had gazed into the very face of God and it still was not clear to him that to see Jesus was to see the Father. What does JMac suggest was the cause of Philip's lack of insight (p. 133)?

SeattleSun
Apr 16th 2007, 07:38 PM
4. According to JMac, what might explain why the Greeks in John 12:20-21 sought out Philip (p. 128)?

This one is easy, he had a Greek name. And he seemed to be the administrative guy who could set up the meeting.

5. For three years Philip had gazed into the very face of God and it still was not clear to him that to see Jesus was to see the Father. What does JMac suggest was the cause of Philip's lack of insight (p. 133)?

This is a good one! In six chapters, never have I seen JMac this disgusted with one of them. (I'm sure we'll see it with Judas.) The short answer is Philip was still so fleshly, his thinking was completely earthbound and focused on meaningless details -- meaningless because God was making everything happen! Miracle after miracle.

Speaking of miracles, let's go back to the feeding of the 5,000, when Christ asked Philip "Where shall we buy bread, that these may eat?" Libby and I were talking and she said Philip, being a student of the OT, should have replied to Christ:

Num. 11:23 The LORD answered Moses, "Is the LORD's arm too short? You will now see whether or not what I say will come true for you.

We know that Philip wasn't able to see or understand who Christ was. No, instead he says to Christ "Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us."

As JMac says, this is profoundly sad. Its like Philip's faith was in reverse since he was so enthusiastic when he met Christ.

jesuslover1968
Apr 16th 2007, 08:04 PM
This one is easy, he had a Greek name. And he seemed to be the administrative guy who could set up the meeting.

This is a good one! In six chapters, never have I seen JMac this disgusted with one of them. (I'm sure we'll see it with Judas.) The short answer is Philip was still so fleshly, his thinking was completely earthbound and focused on meaningless details -- meaningless because God was making everything happen! Miracle after miracle.

Speaking of miracles, let's go back to the feeding of the 5,000, when Christ asked Philip "Where shall we buy bread, that these may eat?" Libby and I were talking and she said Philip, being a student of the OT, should have replied to Christ:

Num. 11:23 The LORD answered Moses, "Is the LORD's arm too short? You will now see whether or not what I say will come true for you.

We know that Philip wasn't able to see or understand who Christ was. No, instead he says to Christ "Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us."

As JMac says, this is profoundly sad. Its like Philip's faith was in reverse since he was so enthusiastic when he met Christ.

yet we can't be too hard on Philip. If we put ourselves in that situation, whose to say we wouldn't have done the same?
As for Judas, I am much interested in what Jmac's opinion of him will be. The truth is, we can only see that in hindsight. What the disciples saw was totally different than how he turned out to be. On the outside, he seemed to be everything that a good Christian today is. Should make us stop and think. What we see is not always what we get.
There were little nuances of Judas' behavior that lead us to see him for who he really was, yet the disciples took his greed as concern for their treasury. Even when Jesus told them that one of them would betray Him, they had no idea who it was, as some even asked if it was them. God Bless.

SeattleSun
Apr 16th 2007, 08:57 PM
yet we can't be too hard on Philip. If we put ourselves in that situation, whose to say we wouldn't have done the same?
As for Judas, I am much interested in what Jmac's opinion of him will be. The truth is, we can only see that in hindsight. What the disciples saw was totally different than how he turned out to be. On the outside, he seemed to be everything that a good Christian today is. Should make us stop and think. What we see is not always what we get.
There were little nuances of Judas' behavior that lead us to see him for who he really was, yet the disciples took his greed as concern for their treasury. Even when Jesus told them that one of them would betray Him, they had no idea who it was, as some even asked if it was them. God Bless.

How you doing? I've been thinking about you a lot. :hug:

You're right about Philip. Its so easy with hindsight isn't it? Maybe Philip was so overwhelmed by the logistics and bean counting he lost the big picture. At least until Jesus gave him the Holy Spirit.

I wonder if was arguing too about who would be the greatest? I suppose, it sounds like they all were. Or maybe he was tallying who did what.

Mercy4Me
Apr 16th 2007, 09:00 PM
I agree, Sonja...JMac does seem to be especially hard on Philip. I disagree with his statement here: (p. 130)

"Of all the foolish, impetuous, hearbreakingly ignorant statements that occasionally escaped the lips of the disciples, none was more disappointing than Philip's remark in the Upper Room."

IMHO, Philip's statement "Show us the Father" isn't any more heartbreakingly ignorant, impetuous, or foolish than Peter's cursings and denials of Christ, yet to come...or any other multitude of missteps the disciples took. I don't think ANY of them really "got it"...maybe John the most, but none of the others...until sometime later. I guess it irks me a bit that JMac is so hard on Philip...maybe because I can relate to him so well. I'm trying not to take his remarks about Philip personally, but even his comment that he would have thrown Philip out of the disciples' group seems a little harsh to me. Why him, and none of the others?

Yes, thank God, He uses the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and His strength is perfected in our (my) weakness. Thank God!

Well, my .02...I don't mean to be on the defensive here, and sorry if it's coming across that way. I enjoy the study so much, but this chapter just seems a little over the top to me...a lot of speculation and name-calling that isn't really necessary to understand Philip and the wonders God worked in his life. :rolleyes:

SeattleSun
Apr 16th 2007, 09:08 PM
I agree, Sonja...JMac does seem to be especially hard on Philip. I disagree with his statement here: (p. 130)

"Of all the foolish, impetuous, hearbreakingly ignorant statements that occasionally escaped the lips of the disciples, none was more disappointing than Philip's remark in the Upper Room."

IMHO, Philip's statement "Show us the Father" isn't any more heartbreakingly ignorant, impetuous, or foolish than Peter's cursings and denials of Christ, yet to come...or any other multitude of missteps the disciples took. I don't think ANY of them really "got it"...maybe John the most, but none of the others...until sometime later. I guess it irks me a bit that JMac is so hard on Philip...maybe because I can relate to him so well. I'm trying not to take his remarks about Philip personally, but even his comment that he would have thrown Philip out of the disciples' group seems a little harsh to me. Why him, and none of the others?

Yes, thank God, He uses the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and His strength is perfected in our (my) weakness. Thank God!

Well, my .02...I don't mean to be on the defensive here, and sorry if it's coming across that way. I enjoy the study so much, but this chapter just seems a little over the top to me...a lot of speculation and name-calling that isn't really necessary to understand Philip and the wonders God worked in his life. :rolleyes:

I have to agree. He started off writing so glowingly about Philip and then he got more and more critical. I don't believe I envy JMac's administrative pastor. :D

There's a reason Jesus selected Philip, as he did all of them. I'll trust Jesus that He knew what He was doing by appointing them, including Philip.

SeattleSun
Apr 16th 2007, 09:23 PM
Congratulations Mercy!

She be a mod! :pp http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/kyssblomster.gif http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/klappeglis.gif http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/thumbup.gif

Mercy4Me
Apr 16th 2007, 09:28 PM
quote=SeattleSun;1230433]
Congratulations Mercy!

She be a mod! :pp http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/kyssblomster.gif http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/klappeglis.gif http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/thumbup.gif

[/quote]

:blushhap: Thank you, my dear sweet Sonja! You are so kind! But actually, I'm only just a facilitator...Moderator is one level up from me! And I am totally lost...

I guess I'll have to behave myself now and stay on topic...:blush:

SeattleSun
Apr 16th 2007, 09:41 PM
:blushhap: Thank you, my dear sweet Sonja! You are so kind! But actually, I'm only just a facilitator...Moderator is one level up from me! And I am totally lost...

I guess I'll have to behave myself now and stay on topic...:blush:

Only if you're the mod or facilitator here! :rofl: Otherwise, I think we're still safe. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/Sofa.gif Besides, we won't tell. :kiss:

Mercy4Me
Apr 16th 2007, 09:48 PM
Only if you're the mod or facilitator here! :rofl: Otherwise, I think we're still safe. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/Sofa.gif Besides, we won't tell. :kiss:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Deal...

jesuslover1968
Apr 16th 2007, 10:15 PM
Congrats Mercy! Where you be a mod at? I am happy for you. :hug: :kiss: :pp God Bless.

SeattleSun
Apr 16th 2007, 10:17 PM
Congrats Mercy! Where you be a mod at? I am happy for you. :hug: :kiss: :pp God Bless.

She's got Daily Devotions! Should we give her a hard time? :lol: Just kidding Mercy! :saint: :hug:

jesuslover1968
Apr 16th 2007, 10:24 PM
She's got Daily Devotions! Should we give her a hard time? :lol: Just kidding Mercy! :saint: :hug:

hehehe, could we eeeevvvver have fun.....lol....nah, we won't give her a hard time. We're proud of her. :hug: :kiss: :pp I don't think I have even been in daily devotions. I'll have to go check it out now, though...:lol: God Bless.

SeattleSun
Apr 16th 2007, 10:31 PM
hehehe, could we eeeevvvver have fun.....lol....nah, we won't give her a hard time. We're proud of her. :hug: :kiss: :pp I don't think I have even been in daily devotions. I'll have to go check it out now, though...:lol: God Bless.

Yes we are proud of her! :kiss: However, we might have to restrict Libby to this room. You all know how she is. A real troublemaker. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/zacepi.gif

Mercy4Me
Apr 16th 2007, 10:40 PM
Thanks, you guys...I think...

I hope you do come over for a visit! As long as YOU behave...

Give me a few days to get things up and running, k? :hug: :kiss:

jesuslover1968
Apr 16th 2007, 10:52 PM
Yes we are proud of her! :kiss: However, we might have to restrict Libby to this room. You all know how she is. A real troublemaker. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/zacepi.gif

:lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: ...hahahha...yeah, we know it's JUST her.....lol.

jesuslover1968
Apr 16th 2007, 10:54 PM

but...but...I wanted to go over now and check it out...see what I can sabotage, and such...hehehe. Just kidding. I'll give you a few days. I did go over and read a couple of the threads. I had actually read one I think it was yesterday, I just didn't pay attention to what forum it was in. God Bless Mercy, they couldn't have picked a better person! :hug: :kiss: :)

SeattleSun
Apr 16th 2007, 10:56 PM

:rofl: We'll bring lunch! :pp

You and I are angels. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/angel-angel3.gif http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/glorieglis.gif See! There we are! Libby is the one always throwing tomatoes. :lol:

Mercy4Me
Apr 16th 2007, 11:02 PM
but...but...I wanted to go over now and check it out...see what I can sabotage, and such...hehehe. Just kidding. I'll give you a few days. I did go over and read a couple of the threads. I had actually read one I think it was yesterday, I just didn't pay attention to what forum it was in. God Bless Mercy, they couldn't have picked a better person! :hug: :kiss: :)

Thank you, Misty (not for the sabotage, though! I don't even know how to delete a thread yet!!!)

You and I are angels. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/angel-angel3.gif http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/glorieglis.gif See! There we are! Libby is the one always throwing tomatoes. :lol:

Now girls...things haven't been exactly PERFECT around here today, now, have they? Of course, there haven't been any fish whackings going on, either, though....Hmmm...:hmm:

jesuslover1968
Apr 16th 2007, 11:08 PM
Thank you, Misty (not for the sabotage, though! I don't even know how to delete a thread yet!!!)

Now girls...things haven't been exactly PERFECT around here today, now, have they? Of course, there haven't been any fish whackings going on, either, though....Hmmm...:hmm:

I don't know about you, but I miss MsLibby...:cry: course, it's been rather quiet and such...:lol:

No worries about not knowing how to delete stuff yet, you'll learn quick enough...:lol: I wish you well...:hug: :kiss: but don't forget about us over here...or we'll. we'll.....whack you with fish....:rofl:

Mercy4Me
Apr 16th 2007, 11:24 PM
I don't know about you, but I miss MsLibby...:cry: course, it's been rather quiet and such...:lol:

No worries about not knowing how to delete stuff yet, you'll learn quick enough...:lol: I wish you well...:hug: :kiss: but don't forget about us over here...or we'll. we'll.....whack you with fish....:rofl:

I agree...I miss our dear little tomato-throwing rolling-pin-wielding fish- whacking troublemaker, too!

Forget you??? NEVER!!!

jesuslover1968
Apr 16th 2007, 11:25 PM
I agree...I miss our dear little tomato-throwing rolling-pin-wielding fish- whacking troublemaker, too!

Forget you??? NEVER!!!

LOl......me too. and for your last statement, I can see your point...:rofl: :rofl:

Mercy4Me
Apr 16th 2007, 11:28 PM
LOl......me too. and for your last statement, I can see your point...:rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: Well, I meant that in love...:kiss:

SeattleSun
Apr 16th 2007, 11:35 PM
:rofl: :rofl: Well, I meant that in love...:kiss:

Boy, give someone a little power ... where's that fish?

:D :rofl:

Cloudwalker
Apr 17th 2007, 12:17 AM
we might have to restrict Libby to this room. You all know how she is. A real troublemaker. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/zacepi.gif Shes not the only one :D http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/Trout.gif Have this. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/erter.gif I am a founding member of my church choirs troublemaker corner. And proud of it.

Remember the gospels were written after the Christ was crucified and rose again. That would have colored how Judas was viewed and portrayed. Remember at the Last supper when Christ said "one of you will betray me" they all asked "is it I Lord." Not one of them suspected Judas.

And remember, before you get to hard on JMac that none of these guys were what we would pick for a "dream team of leaders." 4 fishermen, one of which rarely thought before he spoke and 2 that undoubtedly had bad tempers or at least loud mouths. None of them highly educated. One tax collector, a political activist and I don't know what else but all from the sticks. Not exactly Fortune 500 material.

Has anybody seen my tomatos.

Mercy4Me
Apr 17th 2007, 12:22 AM
Good evening, CW!

And remember, before you get to hard on JMac that none of these guys were what we would pick for a "dream team of leaders." 4 fishermen, one of which rarely thought before he spoke and 2 that undoubtedly had bad tempers or at least loud mouths. None of them highly educated. One tax collector, a political activist and I don't know what else but all from the sticks. Not exactly Fortune 500 material.

That's WHY I'm hard on JMac...seems like he's picking Philip out of the bunch and making him the worst of the worst (of course, we haven't gotten to Judas, yet!) I agree about Judas...I also don't think anyone had a clue what he was up to. Even when he left to betray Jesus, they thought he was just going to run an errand or something, didn't they?

Anyway, nice to see you tonight...as long as you keep that fish business to yourself! :spin:

Cloudwalker
Apr 17th 2007, 12:44 AM
I had to go way back into the John thread to find that fish. :monkeyd: Since I don't have the book I'll take your word for it that he seems to be being harder on Phillip that the previous ones. Will be interesting to see what he does with the others, especially Judas. Now has anyone seen my tomato?:P

jesuslover1968
Apr 17th 2007, 02:03 AM
I had to go way back into the John thread to find that fish. :monkeyd: Since I don't have the book I'll take your word for it that he seems to be being harder on Phillip that the previous ones. Will be interesting to see what he does with the others, especially Judas. Now has anyone seen my tomato?:P

I et it! :lol: :lol: :P

Mercy4Me
Apr 17th 2007, 01:46 PM
Good morning! On behalf of our Twelve Ordinary Men study group, I'd like to wish our dear friend and moderator, the Pistol Packin' Parson, a

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/Mercy58/birthday_33.gif

Happy Birthday!
Thanks for all you do for us!:hug:

SeattleSun
Apr 17th 2007, 02:07 PM
Good morning TOM'ers! :hug:

Happy Birthday Tim! :pp

http://www.kids-teens.org/Birthday/happy_birthday.gif

MsLibby
Apr 17th 2007, 03:21 PM
Hmpt. Here I was, walkin in tall cottin til I come over heah and now I'm plumb worn out within all the gestin you yankies be talkin. I thinks it would be a good idea fer y'all to be tendin to yer own knittin, as we say heah.

And about JMac bein a tad bit harsh on Philip, I sez he's just tellin him how the cow ate the cabbage is all. In other words, all hat an no cattle...surenuff.

MsLibby
Apr 17th 2007, 03:29 PM
I et it! :lol: :lol: :P

Here, have another... http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/kastetomat.gif http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/dukketomat.gif

:lol:

MsLibby
Apr 17th 2007, 03:31 PM
I had to go way back into the John thread to find that fish.

Not me...I always keep a fish handy...http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/Trout.gif

SeattleSun
Apr 17th 2007, 03:35 PM
Hmpt. Here I was, walkin in tall cottin til I come over heah and now I'm plumb worn out within all the gestin you yankies be talkin. I thinks it would be a good idea fer y'all to be tendin to yer own knittin, as we say heah.

And about JMac bein a tad bit harsh on Philip, I sez he's just tellin him how the cow ate the cabbage is all. In other words, all hat an no cattle...surenuff.

http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/help2.gif I right clicked on translate and nothing happened. :lol: We missed you yesterday! :hug:

I don't know how to knit. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/sigh.gif

MsLibby
Apr 17th 2007, 03:35 PM
Mercy ~ about you being a mod...I always knew you was quik as a hiccup and cute as a possum...why, yer big nuff to hunt bear with a switch, girl...:pp

Cloudwalker
Apr 17th 2007, 03:52 PM
Here, have another... http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/kastetomat.gif http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/dukketomat.gif

:lol:
Thanks. You can have it back. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/kastetomat.gif http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/dukketomat.gif

Sonja, let me know if you want I can translate for you. I still remember most of my Texan.:rofl:

SeattleSun
Apr 17th 2007, 03:58 PM
Mercy ~ about you being a mod...I always knew you was quik as a hiccup and cute as a possum...why, yer big nuff to hunt bear with a switch, girl...:pp

Thanks. You can have it back. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/kastetomat.gif http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/dukketomat.gif

Sonja, let me know if you want I can translate for you. I still remember most of my Texan.:rofl:

Hi David! The above post can be a start. "Cute as a possum"? :o Mercy needs to slap her with a fish. :rofl: I'm waiting for "that dog don't hunt", I like that one!

Is it wrong for cows to eat cabbage? Its full of vitamins. And why is Libby walking in tall cotton? :confused

MsLibby
Apr 17th 2007, 04:00 PM
'walkin in tall cotton' means I was happy til I read you yankees makin fun of me. Bless yer lil ole heart...hehehehehe...you KNOW that's not nice. :lol:

MsLibby
Apr 17th 2007, 04:02 PM
"Cute as a possum"? :o Mercy needs to slap her with a fish.

You watch yer mouth, girl. Possums are too cute, why, half the people here are related to em... :)

Oh, and 'that don't don't hunt'...I think that's Kentucky talk. That would be our Misty...

SeattleSun
Apr 17th 2007, 04:02 PM
'walkin in tall cotton' means I was happy til I read you yankees makin fun of me. Bless yer lil ole heart...hehehehehe...you KNOW that's not nice. :lol:

:rofl: I thought the not nice one is "isn't she precious?" Since you did read back, have you thought up anything yet so Mercy can use her new mod powers? :hmm:

SeattleSun
Apr 17th 2007, 04:03 PM
You watch yer mouth, girl. Possums are too cute, why, half the people here are related to em... :)

Well bless their little possum hearts. :rofl:

MsLibby
Apr 17th 2007, 04:07 PM
:rofl: I thought the not nice one is "isn't she precious?" Since you did read back, have you thought up anything yet so Mercy can use her new mod powers? :hmm:

Isn't she precious is only a tad bit worse than bless yer heart. They're both on the insulting side.

I don't think they get too rowdy over in daily devotionals, do they?

Mercy4Me
Apr 17th 2007, 04:11 PM
All right, you guys...here I was, off putting my devotions together, and I come back here and get called a possum. Hmmmpppfff...CW, can I borrow your fish? Oh, that's right...Misty et it. Well, I'll just have to borrow Libby's then, and use it on her...http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/Trout.gif She is so precious! :P

SeattleSun
Apr 17th 2007, 04:22 PM
Isn't she precious is only a tad bit worse than bless yer heart. They're both on the insulting side.

I don't think they get too rowdy over in daily devotionals, do they?

No they don't. That's why you came to mind. :D

All right, you guys...here I was, off putting my devotions together, and I come back here and get called a possum. Hmmmpppfff...CW, can I borrow your fish? Oh, that's right...Misty et it. Well, I'll just have to borrow Libby's then, and use it on her...http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/Trout.gif She is so precious! :P

I stood up for you Mercy. :hug: That's one thing that make me so ... angelic! :saint:

MsLibby
Apr 17th 2007, 04:52 PM

Sigh...you guys just don't get it. Ok, here's the rules:

Getting called a cute possum down here is a compliment. Mercy...if I had said "Mercy is a precious possum, bless her heart" now THOSE would have been fighting words. But to just be as cute as a possum is a good thing.

And your 'she is so precious' ~ you got that right! Got me a good one with that. ;) Bless your lil heart.

Ok, enough Texan!

Mercy4Me
Apr 17th 2007, 05:00 PM
Sigh...you guys just don't get it. Ok, here's the rules:

Getting called a cute possum down here is a compliment. Mercy...if I had said "Mercy is a precious possum, bless her heart" now THOSE would have been fighting words. But to just be as cute as a possum is a good thing.

And your 'she is so precious' ~ you got that right! Got me a good one with that. ;) Bless your lil heart.

Ok, enough Texan!

Well, I'll have to take your word for it...up around these parts, most people wouldn't take kindly to being called a possum. I actually don't even think we have them here...aren't they something like a raccoon? Without the mask? Eeeewwww.....those are some nasty critters! :D :P

MsLibby
Apr 17th 2007, 05:11 PM
Mercy, all I can say is where I really come from, which is San Diego, people don't call each other possums, but down here in Texas, possums are highly regarded. Of course, their idea of upward mobility is having more than one appliance on the front porch...so I guess just take it with a grain of salt? I don't know! I'm not really a Texan...maybe I'd better stop trying to sound like one. It's not going too well...:)

You're not a possum! You're a mod, so I'll be nice. :spin: Sheesh, just trying to liven it up around here...

Mercy4Me
Apr 17th 2007, 05:32 PM
Mercy, all I can say is where I really come from, which is San Diego, people don't call each other possums, but down here in Texas, possums are highly regarded. Of course, their idea of upward mobility is having more than one appliance on the front porch...so I guess just take it with a grain of salt? I don't know! I'm not really a Texan...maybe I'd better stop trying to sound like one. It's not going too well...:)

You're not a possum! You're a mod, so I'll be nice. :spin: Sheesh, just trying to liven it up around here...

You did good...definitely added an interesting twist to the day!

Did I know you were from San Diego? So am I! I was born there, then my parents moved up to Poway when I was a kid, which is where I grew up. Graduated from Poway High in '76...

Wow!

jesuslover1968
Apr 17th 2007, 06:28 PM
Hey everybody! :wave: I see I missed all the texan talk around here. I been reading up on that shooting yesterday. Very tragic. :cry:

Mercy4Me
Apr 17th 2007, 10:58 PM
Hi Misty! Looks like they all deserted us! How are you doing today? That shooting...you're right. So tragic...

Nice to "see" you! :hug:

jesuslover1968
Apr 17th 2007, 11:04 PM
hey Mercy! Not sure where they all went, but at least we are here...:lol: :hug: :kiss: :pp

Cloudwalker
Apr 17th 2007, 11:06 PM
Bless y'alls lill ol pea picken hearts. :lol: Have a tomato. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/kastetomat.gif http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/dukketomat.gif

jesuslover1968
Apr 17th 2007, 11:13 PM
Bless y'alls lill ol pea picken hearts. :lol: Have a tomato. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/kastetomat.gif http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/dukketomat.gif

hehehe....I love tomatoes! :pp

Cloudwalker
Apr 18th 2007, 12:18 AM
Then have another. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/kastetomat.gif http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/dukketomat.gif:lol:

jesuslover1968
Apr 18th 2007, 12:43 AM
Then have another. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/kastetomat.gif http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/dukketomat.gif:lol:

I...can't quite...taste...it...:P :lol:

SeattleSun
Apr 18th 2007, 01:44 AM
Stop it! I set my kichen on fire! Well, not flames but I burned the bread and the house is full of smoke. :mad:

Man, I can be a lousy cook. Anyone feel like coming over and helping me clean up? :D

Mercy4Me
Apr 18th 2007, 01:51 AM
Stop it! I set my kichen on fire! Well, not flames but I burned the bread and the house is full of smoke. :mad:

Man, I can be a lousy cook. Anyone feel like coming over and helping me clean up? :D
Sonja, so sorry about your bread! I'm on my way!

CW, I love tomatoes, too...sliced on a plate with a little blue cheese dressing...

SeattleSun
Apr 18th 2007, 01:55 AM
Sonja, so sorry about your bread! I'm on my way!

CW, I love tomatoes, too...sliced on a plate with a little blue cheese dressing...

Thank you dear sister! :hug: Its dissipating as we speak. Yuck, I burned it an hour ago.

Oh, the kitchen stories I could tell. :rolleyes:

At least I didn't pour the homemade stock down the drain. This time.

Mercy4Me
Apr 18th 2007, 02:01 AM
Thank you dear sister! :hug: Its dissipating as we speak. Yuck, I burned it an hour ago.

Oh, the kitchen stories I could tell. :rolleyes:

At least I didn't pour the homemade stock down the drain. This time.
And save the bones??? I think I've done that a time or two, myself..:rolleyes:

SeattleSun
Apr 18th 2007, 02:34 AM
And save the bones??? I think I've done that a time or two, myself..:rolleyes:

:rofl: Has anything else made you feel sooooo stupid? Yep, bones, onion peels and other cooked out gunky stuff.

And now for my next trick ...

Mercy4Me
Apr 18th 2007, 02:40 AM
How about pouring out the gravy and saving the lumps? Or saving the yolks while the whites go down the drain, when it's the whites you want?

Sheesh...

Or making banana bread and forgetting the bananas...I think I've even done that before.

MsLibby
Apr 18th 2007, 02:19 PM
Morning guys!

Sonja, was this your house last night? http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/rni/lowres/rnin653l.jpg

MsLibby
Apr 18th 2007, 02:22 PM
Oh, meant to respond, Mercy. Yep, I grew up, well, til I was 13, in Chula Vista. I am NOT a Texan!

lol ~ pouring out the gravy and saving the lumps...

SeattleSun
Apr 18th 2007, 02:47 PM
Morning guys!

Sonja, was this your house last night? http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/rni/lowres/rnin653l.jpg

Good morning!

Lol, this didn't show up until I hit quote. :confused Mine was worse. Yuck, I hate setting off the smoke detectors. :lol:

jesuslover1968
Apr 18th 2007, 03:23 PM
Morning guys!
Sonja, I would have helped you clean your kitchen! :hug:
Mercy, I am glad to see someone else that loves tomatoes! :hug:
MsLibby, You mean you aren't even a real texan? :mad: hehehe...we love ya anyways...I ain't a real hillbilly either. I was born in Ohio. I am a buck-a-billy...:lol: God Bless.

Mercy4Me
Apr 18th 2007, 03:28 PM
Good morning! Thanks, you guys, for checking out DD...I hope to keep it interesting. Yes, Libby, I think I remember you telling me you were from Chula Vista...and you lived in Denver for a while, too, didn't you? So many times our paths almost could have crossed!

Misty, my mom and dad were both from Ohio...Columbus area. I never knew any of my relatives, because they all stayed there when my parents moved to San Diego before I was born. I still have an aunt in Worthington...I got to know her a bit as an adult, and she's a dear, precious lady! (That's permitted to say in Colorado...at least at my address! :D )

Sonja, have you recovered from the burned bread yet? Whew, it takes forever to get rid of that smell, doesn't it?

Love you guys! Glad to see you around this morning! :hug: :kiss:

SeattleSun
Apr 18th 2007, 04:47 PM
Notice something interesting about the expression Philip uses with Nathanael: "We have found Him." As far as Philip was concerned, he had found the Messiah rather than being found by Him. Here we see the classic tension between sovereign election and human choice. Philip's call is a perfect illustration of how both exist in perfect harmony. The Lord found Philip, but Philip felt he found the Lord. Both things were true from the human perspective. But from a biblical perspective, we know that God's choice is the determinative one. "You did not chose Me, but I chose you and appointed you" (John 15:16). ~ Twelve Ordinary Men, p. 123

6. In the sidebar above, the author suggests that God takes the initiative when it comes to seeking out those with whom He desires a relationship. How is that principle illustrated in the following passages?

Jeremiah 1:4 Now the word of the Lord came to me, saying,
5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
and before you were born I consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

Psalm 139:1 O Lord, you have searched me and known me!
2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
you discern my thoughts from afar.
3 You search out my path and my lying down
and are acquainted with all my ways.
4 Even before a word is on my tongue,
behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.
5 You hem me in, behind and before,
and lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
it is high; I cannot attain it.
7 Where shall I go from your Spirit?
Or where shall I flee from your presence?
8 If I ascend to heaven, you are there!
If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
9 If I take the wings of the morning
and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10 even there your hand shall lead me,
and your right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me,
and the light about me be night,”
12 even the darkness is not dark to you;
the night is bright as the day,
for darkness is as light with you.
13 For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. [1] (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=Psalm+139%3A1-16#f1)
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there was none of them.

Ephesians 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God,
To the saints who are in Ephesus, and are faithful [1] (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=Ephesians+1%3A1-14#f1) in Christ Jesus:
2 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, 4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us [2] (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=Ephesians+1%3A1-14#f2) for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, 8 which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9 making known [3] (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=Ephesians+1%3A1-14#f3) to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.
11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12 so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. 13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the guarantee [4] (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=Ephesians+1%3A1-14#f4) of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, [5] (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=Ephesians+1%3A1-14#f5) to the praise of his glory.

7. Nonetheless, when Philip encounters Nathanael, he is quick to claim that "we have found Him (John 1:45). How do you make sense of this apparent contradiction?

jesuslover1968
Apr 18th 2007, 04:51 PM
7. Nonetheless, when Philip encounters Nathanael, he is quick to claim that "we have found Him (John 1:45). How do you make sense of this apparent contradiction?

well, God didn't really need to find Philip, He already knew him. It was just a matter of Philip knowing and recognizing that for himself. He had to accept Jesus, even though Jesus already knew him. :) God Bless.

MsLibby
Apr 18th 2007, 05:27 PM
In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,

Election is one of those things that I simply believe on faith. If I think too hard, it gets confusing. Take the above verse...and jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here...if the above is true (not questioning that, btw) then the reverse is also true, right? Maybe this explains why so many hear and DON'T believe??? Is it because they weren't chosen to begin with?

jesuslover1968
Apr 18th 2007, 05:31 PM
Election is one of those things that I simply believe on faith. If I think too hard, it gets confusing. Take the above verse...and jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here...if the above is true (not questioning that, btw) then the reverse is also true, right? Maybe this explains why so many hear and DON'T believe??? Is it because they weren't chosen to begin with?

No! I believe God calls us all, hence He has written it on our hearts. It is just that He knows who will, and will not, accept Him. :hug: :)

MsLibby
Apr 18th 2007, 05:47 PM
I believe He calls us all, too. Not sure all I learn about this agrees with that, though. What about this: But from a biblical perspective, we know that God's choice is the determinative one. "You did not chose Me, but I chose you and appointed you"

When I read these verses, it's not quite as cut and dried as I might think it is.

Then I read John 3:16 and it says 'for God so loved the WORLD' which takes me back to 'all' ~ or that He calls everyone...

I have always understood election as just what you said...He calls all, only some answer, hence the 'elected.' But that's based on free will, or not? And yet it's really God's choice...

I know the debate... it's just some days it's more challenging to get a grip on than others.

Mercy4Me
Apr 18th 2007, 05:53 PM
No! I believe God calls us all, hence He has written it on our hearts. It is just that He knows who will, and will not, accept Him. :hug: :)
:agree:Absolutely, Misty! Jesus said when He was lifted up He would draw ALL men to Himself...and obviously, He doesn't want anyone to perish. I firmly believe that it is only His foreknowledge of who will receive Him and who will reject Him that brings about His "choice" of us. No one has an advantage over another. Even those verses in Jeremiah and Psalm 139 are all about Him KNOWING us beforehand...

Even the verses in Romans about Pharoah can be understood this way, and the verses about Judas. God did not force either of them to do what they did, but He knew their hearts, and knew how they would respond in given situations; therefore He was able to fulfill His purposes through them. On one of our old studies I posted a quote from the early Christians about how they explained this...they likened it to the sun, which when it shines on mud it dries and hardens, but when it shines on ice it melts and softens. It's in man's heart, not God's, because His will is that everyone would come to the knowledge of the truth.

This has always kept it clear for me...both election and free will can be true, based on God's ability to know the end from the beginning. I realize not everyone agrees! But this is my view on it.

1Pe 1:1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,
1Pe 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

Mercy4Me
Apr 18th 2007, 05:54 PM
Sorry, Libby, I was posting while you were...I don't know if my post will help or not. For some reason it's always been an easy concept for me, in light of God's foreknowledge.:hug:

jesuslover1968
Apr 18th 2007, 06:00 PM
I believe He calls us all, too. Not sure all I learn about this agrees with that, though. What about this: But from a biblical perspective, we know that God's choice is the determinative one. "You did not chose Me, but I chose you and appointed you"

When I read these verses, it's not quite as cut and dried as I might think it is.

Then I read John 3:16 and it says 'for God so loved the WORLD' which takes me back to 'all' ~ or that He calls everyone...

I have always understood election as just what you said...He calls all, only some answer, hence the 'elected.' But that's based on free will, or not? And yet it's really God's choice...

I know the debate... it's just some days it's more challenging to get a grip on than others.

God's choice is for us all....John 3:16- for God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son...
It is still free will. If we do not choose Him, and die in our sins, it is because we chose not to accept His free gift, not that He didn't offer it. :hug: :kiss: :) God Bless.

MsLibby
Apr 18th 2007, 06:15 PM
both election and free will can be true, based on God's ability to know the end from the beginning.

I agree, wholeheartedly, with what you both are saying. Just ask Sonja how MANY times I've used the EXACT same words to her!

I, too, believe it all reconciles perfectly based solely on His knowledge of the end from the beginning.

I think when I get confused is sometimes HOW JMac phrases things. I'm still with Philip. :) I found Jesus on April 8th. HE found me before the foundation of the world was formed, but it was on April 8th that I found Him. So I know what Philip is saying ~ He found the Lord! Yay! Yes, God found Him first, but until he accepted, it wasn't perfectly reconciled.

Mercy4Me
Apr 18th 2007, 06:18 PM
I agree, wholeheartedly, with what you both are saying. Just ask Sonja how MANY times I've used the EXACT same words to her!

I, too, believe it all reconciles perfectly based solely on His knowledge of the end from the beginning.

I think when I get confused is sometimes HOW JMac phrases things. I'm still with Philip. :) I found Jesus on April 8th. HE found me before the foundation of the world was formed, but it was on April 8th that I found Him. So I know what Philip is saying ~ He found the Lord! Yay! Yes, God found Him first, but until he accepted, it wasn't perfectly reconciled.

Exactly, Libby...what a beautiful way to put it!

So...Apr 8...just had a spiritual BD?

I gotta stop typing...arms are totally gone...I'll check in later. Love you all...:hug:

jesuslover1968
Apr 18th 2007, 06:20 PM

:agree: And hooray !:pp for your spiritual birthday! :hug: :kiss:

SeattleSun
Apr 18th 2007, 06:25 PM

Oooh, good discussion!

Libby, I understand exactly what you mean and feel the same way. My head comprehends that I chose to believe on June 14. He knew that I'd come around and finally He put Libby in the path. :hug: We have such finite brains and trying to understand His awesome knowledge and perfect plan is impossible for us.

I posted a quote from the early Christians about how they explained this...they likened it to the sun, which when it shines on mud it dries and hardens, but when it shines on ice it melts and softens. It's in man's heart, not God's, because His will is that everyone would come to the knowledge of the truth.

Mercy, I LOVE this analogy! I like anologies -- I needed one to begin understanding the Trinity. And here's an anology that makes so much sense! Yes! He shines the sun on everyone, with different results. Same sun, we all receive the gift, we just don't all accept it. Some of us stay inside with shades drawn, never experiencing it.

Thank you! :kiss:

MsLibby
Apr 18th 2007, 06:26 PM
lol ~ thanks, you guys.

Yep, April 8th was my one year with Him. Actually, I accepted Him as a young girl,and although I knew with my brain He was my Savior, I never worshipped in my heart that He was my Lord.

MsLibby
Apr 18th 2007, 06:27 PM
Some of us stay inside with shades drawn, never experiencing it.

Sometimes you really make me smile...:hug:

MsLibby
Apr 18th 2007, 06:30 PM
I gotta stop typing...arms are totally gone...I'll check in later. Love you all...:hug:

:wave: :kiss: :hug:

SeattleSun
Apr 18th 2007, 07:55 PM
Sometimes you really make me smile...:hug:

:blushhap: You make me smile all the time. :hug:

Hurry back Mercy! :kiss: Keep an eye on Libby, she might to planning something. :lol:

SeattleSun
Apr 18th 2007, 10:01 PM
I've been pondering election. And reading! This argument has been going on a long time! :lol:

This is neat! I love finding things I didn't know about!

Isa 45:4 For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me.

Paul uses the term "elect" often. But this verse -- God elected Israel! Just like He elected us. Just pondering God's infinity and eternity is mind blowing. This little part of His plan that has to do with me makes me try to analyze it. I guess maybe we try to analyze this because of our egos or something.

I get it! :pp God will have His way, one way or another.

Cloudwalker
Apr 19th 2007, 01:57 AM
A big part of the problem is that we are trying to understand an Infinate God with finate minds and that don't work to good. The debate over "free will" vs. "election" has been going on for some time. Most people say it's either "free will" or "election" but it isn't either/or it's both/and. Both are in the bible. I don't understand it all either but I accept it. If it was strictly election then we have no choice over whether we believe or not. This would make God capricious and not loving, nor good. For, after all, how can holding someone responsible for something they have no control over be called loving or good. But we know that God is both of those. 1 John 4:7-8 says that God is Love. Like I said, I don't know what the answer is. This may be to live with the apperent paradox until Christ explains it to us. In the end the best thing is to "work as if everything depends on us and believe as if everything depends on Christ."

Mercy4Me
Apr 19th 2007, 01:19 PM
Good morning! I'm back, but would appreciate your prayers... I spent several hours in bed yesterday and still not feeling very well today. I did wake up my dragon though, as I just had a thought...

The word election jumped out at me this morning as I was reading through this again. It dawned on me that in an election, there must be a willing candidate. For instance, in our presidential election, no one would be elected who wasn't running for the office. I realize that the kingdom of God is not a democracy; however, the idea of election, or choice, still seems to apply here... the only difference is that everyone who chooses to run gets elected! And, of course, the one who does the electing is God.

Does that make any sense? I don't want to belabor the point... and I think were all pretty much in agreement here that free will and election are not mutually exclusive. Just thought I would share my thoughts of the morning. You guys are keeping me on my toes!

I hope you all are having a good day! I'm supposed to be taking Susannah to the orthodontist today, with a full day in town, but may ask Lucas to do that for me... so if he does, I'll be around!

jesuslover1968
Apr 19th 2007, 02:41 PM
Morning everybody! :wave:
Of course we will pray for you Mercy! :pray: :hug: :kiss: :)
I think a lot of times, such as in my case, we try to think something to death. I liked how you used a presidential election to explain the election of God. It's really very simple, but we just make it harder by trying to make it more complicated than it is. :lol: For a long time, I didn't understand it, either. Until it just dawned on me one day, God has already chosen us ( nominated us ) if we don't decide to run, then we will not win the race. If we do decide to run ( accept Christ as Lord and Savior and believe Him by faith,) then we were already elected. :) I think what confuses people is the part where God knows the end from the beginning. Because He already knows us, He knows who will accept Jesus, and who will not. That doesn't mean we were not elected, just that we chose not to run. :(
It's like a birthday present. I can wrap it all up in a pretty bow and give it to the person whose birthday it is. They have the choice of whether to open the gift ( open it up and use what's inside, accept it, ) or to decline the gift. ( not open it up, and never know the riches it holds. God Bless.

Mercy4Me
Apr 19th 2007, 02:59 PM
Hi Misty! Good thoughts...thanks for sharing. And thanks for the prayers...how are you doing today?

jesuslover1968
Apr 19th 2007, 03:24 PM
Hi Misty! Good thoughts...thanks for sharing. And thanks for the prayers...how are you doing today?

I'm doing good, but it's early yet....:lol: :hug:

SeattleSun
Apr 19th 2007, 03:41 PM
I'm doing good, but it's early yet....:lol: :hug:

Good morning! :hug: Yeah, its definitely early! :lol:

I have to go shopping pretty soon and shrimp is on the menu. Yuck, shrimp ... its way too early to think about shrimp. :P

jesuslover1968
Apr 19th 2007, 03:52 PM
Good morning! :hug: Yeah, its definitely early! :lol:

I have to go shopping pretty soon and shrimp is on the menu. Yuck, shrimp ... its way too early to think about shrimp. :P

that's yukky!!n Bluck! :eek:

MsLibby
Apr 19th 2007, 03:53 PM
Hey! :wave:

Between Mercy's devotionals and Sonja's testimony...been too busy to get over here. Whew. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/pctype_08.gif

MsLibby
Apr 19th 2007, 03:54 PM
that's yukky!!n Bluck! :eek:

What's a Bluck? :lol:

jesuslover1968
Apr 19th 2007, 04:00 PM
What's a Bluck? :lol:

That is short for nasty, disgusting, sickening and unpallatable( sp.).......:rofl: :rofl:

Mercy4Me
Apr 19th 2007, 04:08 PM
It's never too early to think of shrimp!
I wanted to say that in light of our discussion about election, even though I've been talking a lot about the foreknowledge of God and our own free will, to me that does not negate at all the fact that God has chosen each one of us personally to receive redemption ... that is where a lot of the mystery comes in! He knew us intimately before the foundation of the world; he has our names engraved on the palms of his hands. This is such an awesome thought, and I don't want to take away from it at all in our discussion here.

Oh, his thoughts are so far above mine!

SeattleSun
Apr 19th 2007, 04:17 PM
Eph. 3:14For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, 15from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, 16that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith--that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, 19and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

20Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us,

:hug:

Off to get my blucky shrimp. :rofl:

MsLibby
Apr 19th 2007, 04:53 PM
Oh, his thoughts are so far above mine!

Isn't that the truth!!

I find so MUCH comfort in His wisdom. Even knowing that I can't understand everything...just knowing that HE does is what's so wonderful.

jesuslover1968
Apr 19th 2007, 05:18 PM
Isn't that the truth!!

I find so MUCH comfort in His wisdom. Even knowing that I can't understand everything...just knowing that HE does is what's so wonderful.

yes it is. I always know, even if I don't know everything, He does, and as long as I submit to Him, He will never steer me wrong. :pp

SeattleSun
Apr 19th 2007, 06:17 PM
8. Read John 6:1-7. It appears that the motive the Jesus' inquiry of Philip was a desire to test the disciple's faith. According to the following passages, what benefits are there to such episodes of testing:

6:1 After this Jesus went away to the other side of the Sea of Galilee, which is the Sea of Tiberias. 2 And a large crowd was following him, because they saw the signs that he was doing on the sick. 3 Jesus went up on the mountain, and there he sat down with his disciples. 4 Now the Passover, the feast of the Jews, was at hand. 5 Lifting up his eyes, then, and seeing that a large crowd was coming toward him, Jesus said to Philip, “Where are we to buy bread, so that these people may eat?” 6 He said this to test him, for he himself knew what he would do. 7 Philip answered him, “Two hundred denarii [1] (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=john+6%3A1-7#f1) would not buy enough bread for each of them to get a little.”

Okay, here comes the "episodes of testing":

1Peter 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, 5 who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. 6 In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, 7 so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 8 Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, 9 obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

James 1:2 Count it all joy, my brothers, [1] (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=james+1%3A2-8#f1) when you meet trials of various kinds, 3 for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. 4 And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

Psalm 139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart!
Try me and know my thoughts!

1 Timothy 3:10 And let them also be tested first; then let them serve as deacons if they prove themselves blameless.

Cloudwalker
Apr 20th 2007, 01:57 AM

Amen :pp I fully agree. I do, however, have an example that may help you to understand knowing what we will choose from the beginning. Suppose that you and I are going to a dinner party. They are serving chicken and steak. I know that you are alergic to chicken. You still have the choice but I know what you are going to choose. A simple example and it will not withstand close scrutiny but it may help.

MsLibby
Apr 20th 2007, 02:02 PM
Amen :pp I fully agree. I do, however, have an example that may help you to understand knowing what we will choose from the beginning. Suppose that you and I are going to a dinner party. They are serving chicken and steak. I know that you are alergic to chicken. You still have the choice but I know what you are going to choose. A simple example and it will not withstand close scrutiny but it may help.

I understand that God knows the end from the beginning. No problem there. I have zero conflict with that, in fact, OF COURSE He knows the end from the beginning. It's much deeper than that, and I'm going to leave it alone, at least here on this board. I understand the debate over free-will verses God's sovereign choice. He will have mercy on whom He choses. I understand that, too. It's nothing I really feel like I need to explore here...God is working on it with me. ;)

SeattleSun
Apr 20th 2007, 02:33 PM
Good morning! :hug:

Moving on to testing. Sigh, sometimes I realize I'm being tested because all this Scripture comes into my head. I try to do the right thing, but not always successfully. :( Other times I suppose that I don't have a clue and just go stumbling and bumbling ahead.

Big picture indeed! I feel like a little kid who can't wait to grow up!

Mercy4Me
Apr 20th 2007, 03:25 PM
Good morning! Sonja, I'm not sure if I've ever told you this before, but thank you for posting the pertinent scriptures! It really makes it easier!

To me, the testing mentioned in the verses posted is somewhat different than the testing Jesus did with Philip. He simply asked him a question...the other "tests" are referred to as "trials", which to me make them seem to be a prolonged time of difficulty and/or suffering. Of course, since we're not walking and talking with Jesus every day, He can't turn to us and ask us a question that will test our hearts, but I guess the Word does do that...

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Heb. 4:12

That's interesting! Jesus' words while on earth served this same purpose, which we now have in the written Word of God!

And, of course, our testing and trials are very valuable in defining and refining our faith. Amy Carmichael tells a very poignant story of a time when she was in India, and went to see a gold refiner, who used the ancient eastern methods of refining. She said that the goldsmith embeds the gold in a mixture of substances, sets it in a roof-tile, and lowers it into the fire. He never leaves the gold as it is being refined...He then lifts it out with a pair of tongs, lets it cool, rubs it between his fingers, and puts it back in fresh "medicine". He blows the fire hotter than before, and each time he puts it back in, he makes the fire hotter...but not at first, because "the gold could not bear it so hot at first...what would have destroyed it then helps it now." She asked him how he knows when the gold is purified...his reply was, "When I can see my face in it, then it is pure." Is that not awesome? When Christ can see His face in US...the goal of all of our lives.

SeattleSun
Apr 20th 2007, 03:48 PM
Hi Mercy! :kiss:

And, of course, our testing and trials are very valuable in defining and refining our faith. Amy Carmichael tells a very poignant story of a time when she was in India, and went to see a gold refiner, who used the ancient eastern methods of refining. She said that the goldsmith embeds the gold in a mixture of substances, sets it in a roof-tile, and lowers it into the fire. He never leaves the gold as it is being refined...He then lifts it out with a pair of tongs, lets it cool, rubs it between his fingers, and puts it back in fresh "medicine". He blows the fire hotter than before, and each time he puts it back in, he makes the fire hotter...but not at first, because "the gold could not bear it so hot at first...what would have destroyed it then helps it now." She asked him how he knows when the gold is purified...his reply was, "When I can see my face in it, then it is pure." Is that not awesome? When Christ can see His face in US...the goal of all of our lives.

This is the 1 Peter verses brought to life! It makes Peter's words sing so loudly! Never are we given more than we're equipped to handle and He never, ever leaves us through the process of refining.

"Then it is pure". "Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God" ~ Matthew 5:8. Trust in Christ alone is the only way to a pure heart, and our trust is tempered by fire.

Mercy, what a great "nugget", pardon the pun!

jesuslover1968
Apr 20th 2007, 04:19 PM
Morning Everybody! :wasup: :wave:

SeattleSun
Apr 20th 2007, 04:24 PM
Morning Everybody! :wasup: :wave:

Hey you! :hug: I love Mercy's post! Libby is being forced to work, something about getting people paid on time. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/nervest.gif

jesuslover1968
Apr 20th 2007, 04:25 PM
Hey you! :hug: I love Mercy's post! Libby is being forced to work, something about getting people paid on time. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/nervest.gif

hahaha...:rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :hug: :kiss:

Mercy4Me
Apr 20th 2007, 04:29 PM
Good morning, Misty! They're making Libby work again? That's too bad...:mad:

jesuslover1968
Apr 20th 2007, 04:52 PM
LOL. Yeah, those mean, bad people...how dare they? :lol:

MsLibby
Apr 20th 2007, 05:08 PM
Hey guys! Happy Friday!

Mercy ~ what a vivid illustration of our being refined by trials. I just love that...will tuck it away in my heart to ponder on. It's pure when He can see His face. Wow. Yep, just as Sonja said, a true nugget. Thanks so much for sharing that. Sometimes I'm just so speechless by the love He has for us. Sigh. The more I learn, the more I long to be with Him.

SeattleSun
Apr 20th 2007, 06:07 PM
Hey guys! Happy Friday!

Mercy ~ what a vivid illustration of our being refined by trials. I just love that...will tuck it away in my heart to ponder on. It's pure when He can see His face. Wow. Yep, just as Sonja said, a true nugget. Thanks so much for sharing that. Sometimes I'm just so speechless by the love He has for us. Sigh. The more I learn, the more I long to be with Him.

Is your shift in the salt mines over? :kiss:

Vivid! I was looking for that exact word and I couldn't find it! The more we learn, we are with Him! Its the hungering and thirsting -- tasting the meat for the first time, and each time after that. From pureed to filet mignon. I think I'm up to pork chops or cube steak. :lol:

Without testing or trials, we wouldn't grow I don't think. We'd become complacent and then start relying on ourselves and not Him because there'd be no reason not to fall back. When I was a baby, I believe He let me act like a fool and protected me. Now its time for me to learn lessons, and He'll be gentle, not giving me more than I can handle. I need to measure myself against His standards, not mine.

jesuslover1968
Apr 20th 2007, 06:09 PM
Is your shift in the salt mines over? :kiss:

Vivid! I was looking for that exact word and I couldn't find it! The more we learn, we are with Him! Its the hungering and thirsting -- tasting the meat for the first time, and each time after that. From pureed to filet mignon. I think I'm up to pork chops or cube steak. :lol:

Without testing or trials, we wouldn't grow I don't think. We'd become complacent and then start relying on ourselves and not Him because there'd be no reason not to fall back. When I was a baby, I believe He let me act like a fool and protected me. Now its time for me to learn lessons, and He'll be gentle, not giving me more than I can handle. I need to measure myself against His standards, not mine.

yep, and that's a hard thing to do, as sometimes we try to think that what we think and want is what His will is for us...but I continue to learn each and every day. :pp :) :hug: :kiss:

SeattleSun
Apr 20th 2007, 06:15 PM
yep, and that's a hard thing to do, as sometimes we try to think that what we think and want is what His will is for us...but I continue to learn each and every day. :pp :) :hug: :kiss:

Yeah, and I've been pondering how many tests I may have missed. Focusing your heart and head on Him in every situation is so difficult. But I'm trying! Even down to posting. I can say with confidence though, that the attitude is easier, relatively speaking since it started at zero. :rolleyes:

jesuslover1968
Apr 20th 2007, 06:26 PM
Yeah, and I've been pondering how many tests I many have missed. Focusing you heart and head on Him in every situation is so difficult. But I'm trying! Even down to posting. I can say with confidence though, that the attitude is easier, relatively speaking since it started at zero. :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: . I know what you mean....:hug: :kiss: :)

MsLibby
Apr 20th 2007, 07:19 PM
I can say with confidence though, that the attitude is easier, relatively speaking since it started at zero. :rolleyes:

And you get such good practice around here, too. :lol:

SeattleSun
Apr 20th 2007, 07:54 PM
And you get such good practice around here, too. :lol:

:rofl: Yes I do, don't I? Ummm, you guys also! Speaking of a pure heart, JMac's devo today is really nice. I thought I'd post it!

Today is Friday, April 20, 2007 http://www.gty.org/skin1/images/spacer.gif Becoming Pure in Heart

[/URL] (http://www.gty.org/product.php?productcode=451121S)"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God" (Matt. 5:8).

Purifying a heart is the gracious and miraculous work of the Holy Spirit, but there are some things we must do in response to His prompting. First, we must admit we can't purify our own hearts. Proverbs 20:9 says, "Who can say, 'I have cleansed my heart, I am pure from my sin?'" The implied answer: no one!

Next, we must put our faith in Jesus Christ, whose sacrifice on the cross is the basis for our cleansing. Acts 15:9 says that God cleanses hearts on the basis of faith. Of course our faith must be placed in the right object. First John 1:7 says, "If we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin."
Finally, we must study the Bible and pray. The psalmist said we keep our way pure by keeping it according to God's Word, which we must treasure in our hearts (Ps. 119:9, 11). As we pray and submit to the Word, the Spirit purifies our lives.

That's how you acquire and maintain a pure heart. As a result you "shall see God" (Matt. 5:8). That doesn't mean you'll see Him with physical eyes, but with spiritual ones. You begin to live in His presence and become increasingly aware of His working in your life. You recognize His power and handiwork in the beauty and intricacy of creation (Ps. 19). You discern His grace and purposes amid trials and learn to praise Him in all things. You sense His ministry through other Christians and see His sovereignty in every event of your life. Life takes on a profound and eternal meaning as you share Christ with unbelievers and see Him transform lives.

There's no greater joy than knowing you are pure before God and that your life is honoring to Him. May that joy be yours today and may God use you in a powerful way for His glory!

Suggestions for Prayer:
Ask the Lord for continued grace to live a pure life so others will see Christ in you.

For Further Study:
Read Isaiah 6:1-8.
Describe Isaiah's vision of God.
How did Isaiah respond to God's presence?

[URL]http://www.gty.org/resources.php?section=devotions#top (http://www.gty.org/product.php?productcode=451121S)

Cloudwalker
Apr 21st 2007, 01:20 AM
Yeah, and I've been pondering how many tests I may have missed. Focusing your heart and head on Him in every situation is so difficult. But I'm trying!

All we can do it try our best.
Hebrews 4:15
For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as {we are, yet} without sin. (NAS)
Christ understands when we fall. Here's an interesting illustration. Life is like an old wagon wheel. Christ is the hub, the center. We start out on the rim. When we accept Christ we start moving toward him, down the spokes of the wheel. But note what happens. As we get closer to Christ, we also get closer to each other as Christians.

Cloudwalker
Apr 22nd 2007, 09:04 PM
:cry: Here I am. Alone again on the weekend. And just when I wanted to celebrate. http://home.no.net/birgif/glis/Kick_Can_emoticon.gif

:pp Heck with it. I'll celeberate anyway. :monkeyd: You all can just join it when you get here, if the party hasn't ended. :pp They baptized 7 people and had 4 reafirm their baptizims on the Saturday before Easter. We have built a makeshift batism pool out at our new property. Today at the end of church they showed a video of the baptisms. At first story Pastor told the story of one of them. She was a 7 year old girl standing by her mother. She tugged on her mothers skirt and told her that she "had to go get in the water. Jesus was calling her." She was baptized that day. :pp :monkeyd: Keep hearing good comments about my sermon last sunday. I guess I did ok. Gave them something to think about. One of the ladies in our choir was sitting beside a grandson that is known to be squirmy, and I even kept his attention. He mentioned to her that he liked one thing I did. (I think it was when I took John 3:16-17 and replaced all the "world"s and "whosoever"s with personal pronowns and personalized it.)

"God so loved ME that He gave His only begotten Son that if I believe in Him I shall not parish but have everlasting life. For God sent not His son to Me to destroy Me but that I should be saved through Him.”

Mercy4Me
Apr 23rd 2007, 01:53 PM
Good morning! CW...what a great celebration! 7 baptisms! And I'm glad you got a good response from your sermon.

Sonja, thanks for sharing that devotional...it is REALLY good and thought provoking!

There's no greater joy than knowing you are pure before God and that your life is honoring to Him. May that joy be yours today and may God use you in a powerful way for His glory!

This reminds me of our pastor's sermon yesterday...we finally made it back to church after several weeks' absence. Apparently on Easter Sunday he had a sermon on the love of God for us, and yesterday he spoke about our love response to Him. He brought out a lot of verses on marriage, and applied them to our spiritual love relationship with God. One of the ending points had to do with making sure we are pleasing to Him...making Him smile. This section of the devotional reminded me of that!

Love to all of you...hope to "see" you around today! :hug:

MsLibby
Apr 23rd 2007, 02:23 PM
Good morning, fellow TOMers ~ :wave: Happy Monday!

CW, it's funny you mention personalizing those verses. I've been doing that for a year now...putting my name in so many of my beloved promises from Him. I had never done that before, I guess it took finally truly coming to Him to even have the awareness that He's speaking to me, personally, in His Word. Putting my name in, or replacing 'you' with 'me or I' puts it in true perspective, I think. How many times I've said to myself, 'Greater is He that is in me' instead of 'He that is in you'.

On that same notes, David does the same in Psalms 23. Well, sort of. He starts out calling the Lord 'He' and as he progresses changes to 'You'...

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want...
He maketh me...

then his prayer is so personal, so filled with the Spirit, that God changes from Him to You...

'yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for YOU are with me...'

MsLibby
Apr 23rd 2007, 02:24 PM
What a goal ~ to make God smile... I hope I've made Him smile...I can't even imagine...

Mercy4Me
Apr 23rd 2007, 03:54 PM
Hi, Libby! Took me a while to get back in here...how are you? I never noticed that in Psalm 23...

SeattleSun
Apr 23rd 2007, 03:56 PM
Good morning dear friends! :hug: I got the warm fuzzies today, its such a nice feeling! God is great! :pp

I'll put the next question up, hoping JMac's harshness doesn't take my good feelings away! :lol:

SeattleSun
Apr 23rd 2007, 04:03 PM
9. It has been suggested that one of the reasons that Philip deferred to Andrew when some Greeks sought an audience with Jesus was his confusion about whether Gentiles were entitled to salvation. After all, Jesus had gone on record as saying, "Do not enter a city of the Samaritans. But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel" (Matt. 10:5-6). He echoes the same thing in Matt. 15:24: "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel." In what way does Paul clarify this seeming exclusiveness?

Rom. 2:9Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
10But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

SeattleSun
Apr 23rd 2007, 04:59 PM
Reading these verses, no wonder Philip was confused -- so am I.

Rom. 2:11 For God shows no partiality.

Does this have to do with the Old Covenant vs. the New Covenant? Once Christ died for ALL of us, Jew and Gentile, the old was fulfilled and the new began. However, Jesus did heal the Canaanite woman's daughter in Matthew 15 because of her faith, so He didn't exclude anyone either. And the Roman Centurion's servant, and the Samaritan woman He offered the Water of Life to -- the Gospels go on and on that no one was excluded.

Okay, the cloud is lifting! :D

jesuslover1968
Apr 23rd 2007, 05:02 PM
Morning everybody! :wave:

Mercy4Me
Apr 23rd 2007, 05:42 PM
Hi Misty and Sonja! Well, I can see the reasoning behind that idea...that Philip didn't know how to handle these Greeks. Romans wasn't written till much later! Nor Galatians, or any other of the writings explaining the opening of the kingdom to the Gentiles. It must have been so hard for any of the disciples to wrap their minds around the fact. Look at John, calling down fire...We've talked about this alot with the other disciples.

I'm not sure we can even comprehend that mindset of Jew vs. Gentile; the chosen vs. the "unchosen"...

SeattleSun
Apr 23rd 2007, 06:25 PM
Hi Misty and Sonja! Well, I can see the reasoning behind that idea...that Philip didn't know how to handle these Greeks. Romans wasn't written till much later! Nor Galatians, or any other of the writings explaining the opening of the kingdom to the Gentiles. It must have been so hard for any of the disciples to wrap their minds around the fact. Look at John, calling down fire...We've talked about this alot with the other disciples.

I'm not sure we can even comprehend that mindset of Jew vs. Gentile; the chosen vs. the "unchosen"...

Hi Misty and Mercy! M&M!!! :hug:

Mercy, you're right. All this was explained after Pentecost, and getting past "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel", is confusing. That didn't stop Jesus from ministering to Gentiles. Maybe that's what JMac means, that all who come to Him will be welcomed.

That "only" though is still confusing. Sigh.

jesuslover1968
Apr 23rd 2007, 06:39 PM

It's easier to try to look at it this way: God chose the Jewish people to glorify Himself through. He used them to show other nations that He existed and was in charge. He used them to show that because of God's goodness and inability to abide evil, that we needed God to save us. He gave them a set of laws that could never save them. The laws were perfect. Humans are not. We have a fallen nature due to the fall in Eden.
He did not choose the Israelites because they are any better than us, He chooses whom He will. The Jews were destined to failure, and rightly so. If they had not failed, then salvation would only BE for the Jews.
God knows the end from the beginning. He knew they would fail, and planned in accordance with that.
Too many people hate the Jews, or just don't like them. They put them down for not following God. They think, how stupid are these people, that they have seen the power of God. Have experienced His miracles, yet don't follow Him. They continually disobeyed God and went directly against Him. The truth of the matter is, if we ( gentiles ) had been put in the same place, at that time, we would have been no different. The only godliness the Jews had was that GOD CHOSE THEM. Abraham was a gentile before he was chose. It is God that made the Israelites through him. Not Abraham. God needed a willing vessel, and that is the same thing He needs today, from us. We are grafted into the tree, not of our own abilitiy. It is done by the Grace of God, who sent His Son to die for our sins. When we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, we become Spiritual Jews. Not Physical, but spiritual. So when we read those verses like the one you quoted, think of it that way. The Jews were the first to be offered Salvation. They failed to seriously accept it. They didn't understand that with all of the laws and rituals God gave them, that it was a spiritual message He was sending. They failed to see that works without faith are dead. So many today fail to see that faith without works are dead. If we have faith. If we have truly accepted Jesus, the whole package, and not just the parts we like or think we can deal with, then we will do works because we are new creations, and God matures us to do so because it GLORIFIES HIM. The Jews had this message as: we can obey the laws and do our rituals, and we can glorify ourselves. They had lack of understanding, as so many people do today. It is a whole package deal. You cannot accept just part of a package deal. It is all or nothing with God. That is why we have our salvation through the Jews. Without their failure, we wouldn't have the offer of salvation. We are told this in the Bible. Too many people feel the need to skip over that part. Paul tells us a Jew is not a Jew who is one outwardly, whether circumsized or not. It is they who have accepted Jesus inwardly ( spiritually ) that are the true Jews. Accepting Jesus is accepting the Father, and it is accepting the indwelling Holy Spirit who changes us to try to become more like God. Who gives us the ability to know God. Who gives us the urge to want others to have the same wonderful gift that we have....etc. etc...God Bless.

MsLibby
Apr 23rd 2007, 06:41 PM
9. It has been suggested that one of the reasons that Philip deferred to Andrew when some Greeks sought an audience with Jesus was his confusion about whether Gentiles were entitled to salvation. After all, Jesus had gone on record as saying, "Do not enter a city of the Samaritans. But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel" (Matt. 10:5-6). He echoes the same thing in Matt. 15:24: "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel." In what way does Paul clarify this seeming exclusiveness?

Rom. 2:9Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
10But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

I am fascinated by this, the more I study the passage here. About the Greeks coming to Philip and Philip taking them to Andrew and then on to Jesus. After all the times when Jesus said His time had not yet come, now Jesus says it has come ~ 23 But Jesus answered them, saying, “The hour has come that the Son of Man should be glorified. and then Jesus goes on to tell them that He must die.

Here's what I'm getting at: Jesus was talking to the Gentiles! It was the Gentiles wanting to know Him...not the Jews!

I can easily see how the disciples must have been confused. But as Mercy said, Paul wasn't even on the scene yet...how could these guys have known that Jesus providing salvation for ALL?

I don't know the answer to this, but I do have a better understanding of why Philip went to Andrew in the first place. No wonder he was confused. And now that I'm thinking of it.. up til that time, had any Gentiles been 'welcomed' in? I know, of course, that Gentiles had become believers...look at Ruth, Rahab...but those were out of the norm, weren't that?

And now, right before the cross...there's Jesus, explaining to the Gentiles that He must die for ALL PEOPLES... That's us. :pp Grafted in...

MsLibby
Apr 23rd 2007, 06:44 PM
Hi Misty and Mercy! M&M!!! :hug:

Mercy, you're right. All this was explained after Pentecost, and getting past "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel", is confusing. That didn't stop Jesus from ministering to Gentiles. Maybe that's what JMac means, that all who come to Him will be welcomed.

That "only" though is still confusing. Sigh.

I'm not so sure about this. I need to study some...what about the Gentile woman who Jesus said something to and she said, 'yet, even the dogs'...she wasn't overly welcome, was she?

Going to look...

MsLibby
Apr 23rd 2007, 06:47 PM
24 From there He arose and went to the region of Tyre and Sidon.[h (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=48&chapter=7&version=50#fen-NKJV-24482h)] And He entered a house and wanted no one to know it, but He could not be hidden. 25 For a woman whose young daughter had an unclean spirit heard about Him, and she came and fell at His feet. 26 The woman was a Greek, a Syro-Phoenician by birth, and she kept asking Him to cast the demon out of her daughter. 27 But Jesus said to her, “Let the children be filled first, for it is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.”
28 And she answered and said to Him, “Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs under the table eat from the children’s crumbs.”
29 Then He said to her, “For this saying go your way; the demon has gone out of your daughter.”
30 And when she had come to her house, she found the demon gone out, and her daughter lying on the bed.

There's what I was talking about...Jesus wasn't too welcoming to her, but finally showed her compassion for her words of faith.

Point I'm making is this: before those Greeks came to Jesus ~ the Gentiles weren't too welcomed...were they?

jesuslover1968
Apr 23rd 2007, 07:03 PM
24 From there He arose and went to the region of Tyre and Sidon.[h (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=48&chapter=7&version=50#fen-NKJV-24482h)] And He entered a house and wanted no one to know it, but He could not be hidden. 25 For a woman whose young daughter had an unclean spirit heard about Him, and she came and fell at His feet. 26 The woman was a Greek, a Syro-Phoenician by birth, and she kept asking Him to cast the demon out of her daughter. 27 But Jesus said to her, “Let the children be filled first, for it is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.”
28 And she answered and said to Him, “Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs under the table eat from the children’s crumbs.”
29 Then He said to her, “For this saying go your way; the demon has gone out of your daughter.”
30 And when she had come to her house, she found the demon gone out, and her daughter lying on the bed.

There's what I was talking about...Jesus wasn't too welcoming to her, but finally showed her compassion for her words of faith.

Point I'm making is this: before those Greeks came to Jesus ~ the Gentiles weren't too welcomed...were they?

Faith is what Jesus was looking for. He gave the chance to the Jew first, because they were the chosen nation. They should have had the more faith, as God had given them so many chances to gain it. The woman who touched Jesus' robe had that faith, and that is what He accepted. She had believed in Him by faith and had accepted Him. If she had not, then she would not have believed that the touching of His robe would heal her. God Bless.

SeattleSun
Apr 23rd 2007, 07:07 PM
That is why we have our salvation through the Jews. Without their failure, we wouldn't have the offer of salvation. We are told this in the Bible.

Misty, what a great post! :pp You did good! :hug:

No they weren't. Demonstrations of true faith by Genitles
were rewarded with His compassion.

Matt. 8:10 When Jesus heard this, he marveled and said to those who followed Him, "Truly, I tell you, with no one in Israel have I found such faith. 11 I tell you, many will come from east and west and recline at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, 12 while the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Jesus proclaimed the Gentiles WILL be saved, not just the Jews, and the Jews will face judgment and condemnation, just like the Gentiles. His priority was the Jews, as Misty explained.

This is good question!

MsLibby
Apr 23rd 2007, 07:15 PM
Yes, yes...I know that...I know WHY the Jews first...I'm just saying that this episode of the Greeks coming to Jesus...when the Jews were plotting His death...it's a classic, wonderful example of us being grafted in...right at that time. As Jesus was preparing to die, the Greeks came and sought Him. I had never put the two together before...that's what I'm talking about. The Greeks are an example of us! Right at the 'due time'.