PDA

View Full Version : What Exactly Is The Book Of Life?

ChristsCourage
Apr 12th 2007, 08:22 PM
Could someone be so kind as to explain what the book of life is, and how to get our names in there? I have ben confused for sometime onw as to what it is. Thanks.:hug: :hug:

David Taylor
Apr 12th 2007, 08:44 PM
Could someone be so kind as to explain what the book of life is, and how to get our names in there? I have ben confused for sometime onw as to what it is. Thanks.:hug: :hug:

The book of life, contains the names of all humankind.

Those who reject Christ and turn away from God, are blotted out.

Those names who remain in it, who belong to Christ, will eventually be the residents of eternal glory with Him forever and ever and ever.

Philippians 4:2 "they that be of the same mind in the Lord. And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life. Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice."

Revelation 3:4 "which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy. He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels."

Revelation 20:15 "And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

Revelation 21:27 "And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life. And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb."

RogerW
Apr 12th 2007, 10:49 PM
Those names who remain in it, who belong to Christ, will eventually be the residents of eternal glory with Him forever and ever and ever.

Philippians 4:2 "they that be of the same mind in the Lord. And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life. Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice."

Revelation 3:4 "which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy. He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels."

Revelation 20:15 "And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

Revelation 21:27 "And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life. And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb."

Dave, although I am relatively new to the community I have read many of your posts. Our understanding of many doctrines of Scripture I find to be mutual. However your understanding of the book of life baffles me. If all of humanity is written in the book of life, and those who reject Christ blotted out wouldn't that make rejecting Christ the unforgivable sin? Couldn't it also mean that it is possible to lose our salvation? Because if I understand being written in the book of life correctly it means we are promised eternal life. Once those elected, or predestined to salvation have been written in, doesn't that mean that God is therefore obligated to save them?

I view Rev 3:5 as a sure promise of not being blotted out for all who overcometh, or all who are called conquerers. You see this a little better in the Concordant Version of Scripture where we read "under no circumstances shall I be erasing his name from the scroll of life." I don't see it as an intimation that one can be blotted out, but a sure promise of never being blotted out if your name is written there.

Re 3:5 The one who is conquering, he shall be clothed in white garments, and under no circumstances shall I be erasing his name from the scroll of life, and I shall be avowing his name in front of My Father and before His messengers.

Rev 22:19 is another passage that appears to say some can be blotted out of the book of life. But when we read this passage in context, and take into consideration Mt 7:22-27, as well as Mt. 13:41,42 I believe Rev 22 is speaking of the Kingdom era, or the whole NT church era. Christ is telling us that some who are in the church believe they have a right to the tree of life. But Christ says there are
those in the Kingdom (church who are false professors) who will stand before the Judgment Throne on the last day bewildered that Christ proclaims “I never knew you”? I believe that Mt 7 speaks of these, and tells us that many think they belong in the Everlasting Kingdom because they have done many good works in Christ’ name. But Christ says that some hear the sayings of His, and do them, and Christ likens them to building a house upon a rock. But those who hear the sayings and do them NOT are likened to foolish men who build a house upon the sand.

Again the Concordant Version of Scripture shows this a little better because instead of "book" of life it is translated "tree" of life. In reality both have the same outcome, you can't be in the book unless you partake of the tree, and vice versa. But in using tree instead of book or scroll it helps to show the tree symbolizing the Kingdom through the universal church.

Well I have probably totally confused you. Let me know what you think.

RW

Centurionoflight
Apr 12th 2007, 10:57 PM
There are 2 books of Life.

Book of the Living

Psalm 69:28
Let them be blotted out of the book of the living{Book of Life}, and not be written with the righteous{Lambs book of Life}.

The book of life
This has all names of man in it, names are bloted out as they die if unsaved.
Names are not added.
All names are in it.
Names are bloted out.

Rev 20:12 "And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books."

The Lamb's book of life

This has all names of believers in it, this book names are added as they are saved. Names are never blotted out. Names are only added.

Rev 13:8 "All inhabitants of the earth will worship the beast—all whose names have not been written in the book of life belonging to the Lamb that was slain from the creation of the world."

RogerW
Apr 13th 2007, 12:51 AM
There are 2 books of Life.
Book of the Living
Psalm 69:28
Let them be blotted out of the book of the living{Book of Life}, and not be written with the righteous{Lambs book of Life}.

The book of life
This has all names of man in it, names are bloted out as they die if unsaved.

Names are not added.
All names are in it.
Names are bloted out.

Rev 20:12 "And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books."

The Lamb's book of life
This has all names of believers in it, this book names are added as they are saved. Names are never blotted out. Names are only added.

Rev 13:8 "All inhabitants of the earth will worship the beast—all whose names have not been written in the book of life belonging to the Lamb that was slain from the creation of the world."

I agree and Scripture confirms there is more then one book in heaven. The dead (those who never receive spiritual life) are judged by the things written in the books. The elect are already judged in Christ because their names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life.

Ro 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
Ro 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
Ro 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

Where do you find Scripture to prove names are added to the Lamb's Book of Life when a person becomes saved? I don't find confirmation that names are added, only that names have been written from the foundation of the world.

Re 17:8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

Christ tells His disciples their names are already written in heaven, not that they will be.

Lu 10:20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

How could Christ speaking to His church say that they have been written in heaven before they become saved? This speaks in the past tense, as though those written in heaven are already written there, not that they will be added when they become saved. I believe Scripture tells us they will become saved because they have been written in heaven (in the Lamb's Book of Life) from the foundation of the world.

Heb 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect

RW

*Madeline*
Apr 13th 2007, 01:31 AM
I'd like to mention.

Revelation 22:19 - "And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

So is it possible to actually be taken out of the holy city? So why would God say that if it is IMPOSSIBLE to actually be taken OUT of the Holy City? ;) Revelation 17:8 clearly states that those who are written in the "book of life" cannot be removed from it since their names have been written in the book of life BEFORE the foundation of the world.

Love,
Madeline

cwb
Apr 13th 2007, 05:33 PM

So are you saying everybody is saved from birth until they do something to get unsaved? I always thought nobody was saved until they did something to get saved - Romans 10:9.

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.