PDA

View Full Version : Blessing and Curses

Stacy
Apr 16th 2007, 09:25 AM
I wonder if you would be of assistance to me. I have read Derek Princes book, "Blessing and Curses" and I'm currently teaching this at a small group session that I run. While I fully appreciate the impact of Curses in our lives, the question begs, "Weren't we released from all of this by Christ?" The book says we were but we need to ask for release in order for this occur. My logic says, " If i am reborn and a new person, the old person with the old curses dies so how is it possible that generational curses will still follow me until I ask for release?" "When I ask for forgiveness from a sin, does that cover the curse that could be carried by that sin? AND if someone from another faith (Witchcraft), places a curse on me without me knowing, am I protected or do I need to first find out about the curse and then ask for release?

Studyin'2Show
Apr 16th 2007, 10:31 AM
Welcome to the boards! I haven't read the book so I don't know how much I can help but here goes. I completely agree that someone putting a curse on a child of God is wasting time. The curses the author may be speaking of are curses that we carry with us from before we were saved. For example, my grandfather was a functional alcoholic. My mother became a functional alcoholic (through she never liked it about her father). I grew up and became a functional drug addict (though I literally swore I wouldn't). When I came to faith in Christ everything didn't drop off that moment. Although I put away the harder stuff, I continued to smoke pot for two years and my addiction to nicotine lasted for three and a half years. My point is that looking back with the spiritual discernment I have now, it seems obvious that there was some sort of 'curse' of addiction hanging over my family. There are many of my relatives in my generation and in my mother's that I am aware have had the same types of issues with addictions.

I have broken this 'curse' from my life. However, the other day I noticed something with my 17 yr old daughter. Not that she's drinking or doing drugs but that when she gets into something, she tends to go overboard for a while, which is something I always did. I called her to the side and advised her to pray for guidance because she does not want to have to go through the same things I did. This may be a case where the author would say once you recognize a curse, you can identify the 'curse' so can come from under that curse. I hope this helps some.

God Bless!

DSK
Apr 16th 2007, 10:48 AM
I wonder if you would be of assistance to me. I have read Derek Princes book, "Blessing and Curses" and I'm currently teaching this at a small group session that I run. While I fully appreciate the impact of Curses in our lives, the question begs, "Weren't we released from all of this by Christ?" The book says we were but we need to ask for release in order for this occur. My logic says, " If i am reborn and a new person, the old person with the old curses dies so how is it possible that generational curses will still follow me until I ask for release?" "When I ask for forgiveness from a sin, does that cover the curse that could be carried by that sin? AND if someone from another faith (Witchcraft), places a curse on me without me knowing, am I protected or do I need to first find out about the curse and then ask for release?

Scripture teaches that obedience brings blessings, and disobedience brings curses. See Deut. chapters 11 and 28
I guess another way to put it would be to say that God is our Heavenly Father, and being a loving Father, sometimes He has to chastise His children for their disobedience. See Heb chapter 12 and Rev 3:19

TEITZY
Apr 16th 2007, 12:55 PM

No child of God is under a curse as we are all "new creations" (2 Cor 5:17) in Christ and satan connot touch us (1 John 5:18). There are consequences for disobedience (Heb 12) but this is Godly discipline and not a curse. Such teaching will also most likely include the binding of satan or demons by Christians which is totally unscriptural. The curses and blessings found in the OT were directed toward the nation of Israel but inveitably I find many in the church today taking these passages and applying them to the Church or Christians and therefore not rightly dividing the Word of God.

Cheers
Leigh

DSK
Apr 16th 2007, 05:47 PM
The curses and blessings found in the OT were directed toward the nation of Israel but inveitably I find many in the church today taking these passages and applying them to the Church or Christians and therefore not rightly dividing the Word of God.

Cheers
Leigh

I have noticed a trend in todays church where we like to obtain, and have available all the blessings that were available in the Old Testament, but don't particuarliy like to think that the curses are available as well.
For instance Christian's today love to claim the blessings contained in following Old Testament promise:
2 Chr 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Even upon a closer examination of the above verse you would have to conclude that it was originally spoken to Israel not to Gentiles, but yet Christian's today still love to claim that verse for themselves. I am not saying it's wrong for Christian's to claim for themselves Old Testament Promises of blessings contained in such verses, but at the same time we have to accept the other Old Testament promises that disobedience brings curses as being just as real as the Old Testament promises which bring blessing. It's so natural for human beings to want to discount the curses, and desire only the blessings. When we do that we are accepting only those Scriptures which appeal to our personal liking, and ignoring those that don't appeal to us. When that happens, we have accepted half of the truth of Scripture.

Frances
Apr 16th 2007, 07:10 PM
I think you might find Graham Powell's book Christian Set Yourself Free interesting and helpful.

A point some Christians choose to ignore is that a person with unrepented Sin gives a right of entry into their life to Satan.

Stacy
Apr 18th 2007, 01:39 PM
Hi

Thanks so much for all your replies. They are helpful and it's interresting to see the different points of view. I do believe that in this modern era we do bring curses/consequences down on ourselves and other generation after us. It's a fact that using drugs while pregnant will have a direct effect on the fetus, a curse if you will, for hurting yourself. I just have a lot of uncertainty about breaking them. In my mine it should be automatic when you are reborn "A New Person" as one of you said but I can see that this is not necessarily the case because I have seen them continue until rebuked. I don't want to put to much focus on evil but it's out there and it operates as effectively all be it not as powerfully as the power of God. We all slip from time to time and when that happen, what happens to our protection?

Thank so much again and I hope I can be of assistance to you someday too.:kiss:

Crystalblue
Apr 25th 2007, 10:34 AM
I know that this thread is a week old - but I just wanted to add something as well on this.

By the above reasoning no christian should be sick either because the bible says that 'by his stripes we have been healed'. Yet does a believer become 100% healthy and never get sick again once they accept christ as saviour? Of course not. So why would generational curses drop off automatically either. Sin hurts. Both the sins of others and our own.

Derek Prince is a very respected authority on the demonic and I'm not suprised he teaches on cursing. Believe me, it's very real.

(That doesn't mean it has permanent power over us but it can take some praying through. And I can say that from very bitter and very personal experience)

GothicAngel
Apr 25th 2007, 01:15 PM
I think you might find Graham Powell's book Christian Set Yourself Free interesting and helpful.

A point some Christians choose to ignore is that a person with unrepented Sin gives a right of entry into their life to Satan.
I may have misunderstood you- but I dont think that its correct that you have to allow yourself to be cursed

Studyin'2Show
Apr 25th 2007, 02:31 PM
I may have misunderstood you- but I dont think that its correct that you have to allow yourself to be cursedI believe Frances' point was directed at an unrepentant person. Someone who sins and doesn't care, isn't sorry.

skypair
Apr 26th 2007, 12:39 PM
Stacy,

I believe that the "blessings and cursings" go back to the Mosaic covenant and that was TEMPORAL blessing and cursing that we may expect today if we do not confess and repent of our sin.

To wit: "If we willfully sin, there remaineth no sacrifice but only the fearful looking forward to of judgment and indignation." And believe me -- that "judgment and indignation" can weigh heavy on a Christian!! Dr Rogers used to say that a sinning Christian is one of the most miserable people in the world.

This would be true for saved and unsaved alike but only in the earthly context for the former.

skypair

Faithwalker
Apr 26th 2007, 02:06 PM
No man can set himself free from anything. Anyone who preaches that is a liar, and a child of the father of them. It is Christ alone who sets men free, and He already broke the curse on mankind by taking that curse upon himself on the cross. Now you can either believe the testimony of Jesus, or you can believe the testimony of men.

"So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed!

free indeed [really: - certainly, clean, indeed, of a truth, verily!]

The one who belongs to God listens to the words of God." - Jesus

Studyin'2Show
Apr 26th 2007, 06:34 PM
No man can set himself free from anything. Anyone who preaches that is a liar, and a child of the father of them. It is Christ alone who sets men free, and He already broke the curse on mankind by taking that curse upon himself on the cross. Now you can either believe the testimony of Jesus, or you can believe the testimony of men.

"So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed!

free indeed [really: - certainly, clean, indeed, of a truth, verily!]

The one who belongs to God listens to the words of God." - Jesus:confused Who said that they could set themselves free? :hmm:

Spyral
Apr 28th 2007, 12:47 AM

Firstly God never curses anyone who hasn't royally miffed him in some way. Even cain wasnt cursed. He just said "you are cursed" not "i curse you"

Secondly if you are afraid of people doing occultic practices and cursing you yes this stuff is real, I know first hand, but our God is the biggest, the best, the strongest and most loving, trust in him ask his help and you will be ok.

Studyin'2Show
Apr 28th 2007, 01:28 PM
Firstly God never curses anyone who hasn't royally miffed him in some way. Even cain wasnt cursed. He just said "you are cursed" not "i curse you"
I don't think the generational curses the OP was referring to have anything to do with God 'cursing' anyone. As you point out Cain was 'cursed'. Deuteronomy 28 says you will be blessed if you do this and cursed if you do that. However, the concept of generational curses has more to do with something as basic as, if your grandpa was an alcoholic, and your father was a drug addict, you may have some issues to deal with even before you get started. No, it's not saying that you will be or do this or that, but the likelihood does increase that you may have some addiction issues, even if it's to something different like being a workaholic or an overeater. I had to deal with these issues. And once I found Jesus, He carried me through so I could break them. I think this is what the issue is really about.

God Bless!

threebigrocks
Apr 28th 2007, 03:54 PM
I don't think the generational curses the OP was referring to have anything to do with God 'cursing' anyone. As you point out Cain was 'cursed'. Deuteronomy 28 says you will be blessed if you do this and cursed if you do that. However, the concept of generational curses has more to do with something as basic as, if your grandpa was an alcoholic, and your father was a drug addict, you may have some issues to deal with even before you get started. No, it's not saying that you will be or do this or that, but the likelihood does increase that you may have some addiction issues, even if it's to something different like being a workaholic or an overeater. I had to deal with these issues. And once I found Jesus, He carried me through so I could break them. I think this is what the issue is really about.

God Bless!

I agree.

That is why a generational curse to me is misleading as people don't understand it.

Its not an inevitable thing, those things your parents or grandparents did. It's about choosing rightly in despite of those things. It's our choice. Christ Jesus is our strength to squash those things our of our lives or not to even entertain the path they took in the first place.

We are not doomed because of someone elses past sin, and to blame Dad or Uncle Bob for our shortcomings is nothing short of passing the buck when we have the option to do differently.

Reach out to the troubled kids. Show them they don't have to go the same route. Show them hope in Christ. Show them Christ. Show them love, show them new things that are not of their history. But, the choice is indeed ultimately up to each and every individual to not be that way.

Too many use the generational curse as an excuse to blame someone else for their own shortcomings and lack of personal self control to not do what they do. They see it as much a part of them as their genetic makeup! WHY!? Christ is the way, the truth and the life. Follow Him, and focus not on the things of the world and even more so - focus not on yourself.