PDA

View Full Version : Genesis

DoTcOm
Apr 16th 2007, 02:46 PM
I did a search and I did not an answer.
Who wrote the book of Genesis? Or who is author of Genesis? Thanks in advance. God bless.

cbalke
Apr 16th 2007, 03:27 PM
i think most people believe it was moses

DoTcOm
Apr 16th 2007, 04:13 PM
i think most people believe it was moses

Thank you for the response, but I thought Moses was not around from the begining when God created Heanven and Earth? Is there a passage to support that? If so, please inform thanks.

aliensyndm
Apr 16th 2007, 04:18 PM
Heard a few different views on this. There's a view that it was four or five different authors, J - Yahwist tradition , E - Elohist tradtion, P - Priestly class, D - author of deuteronomy and then R - A redactor who combined J,E,P and D.

Then I have also heard there are in fact 10 authors. Each time Genesis says "These are the generations of ...." that is the author signing off and handing it over to a new author. I think this happens ten times. Moses is supposed to have compiled/edited the ten writings from these authors.

The second one seems to make sense to me anyway.

DoTcOm
Apr 16th 2007, 04:28 PM
Heard a few different views on this. There's a view that it was four or five different authors, J - Yahwist tradition , E - Elohist tradtion, P - Priestly class, D - author of deuteronomy and then R - A redactor who combined J,E,P and D.

Then I have also heard there are in fact 10 authors. Each time Genesis says "These are the generations of ...." that is the author signing off and handing it over to a new author. I think this happens ten times. Moses is supposed to have compiled/edited the ten writings from these authors.

The second one seems to make sense to me anyway.

Wow.... where can I go to find information' on those author? Is there a library or link on Web to get these info? Thanks in advance.

Dotcom

aliensyndm
Apr 16th 2007, 04:36 PM
If you stick "author of Genesis" or something similar into google you'll get plenty hits. For instance the JEPD thing...

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_tora.htm

http://mb-soft.com/believe/txs/genesis.htm

Frances
Apr 16th 2007, 06:06 PM
Who wrote the book of Genesis? Or who is author of Genesis? Thanks in advance. God bless.

God is the Author of Genesis, and Moses wrote it. In fact he wrote the first 5 books of the Old Testament; not surprising when you remember that he was brought up as a prince so writing things down would be normal for him.

Even today in tribes who have had no contact with 'civilisation' they are taught to remember and recite their history at great length.

DoTcOm
Apr 16th 2007, 07:23 PM
God is the Author of Genesis, and Moses wrote it. In fact he wrote the first 5 books of the Old Testament; not surprising when you remember that he was brought up as a prince so writing things down would be normal for him.

Even today in tribes who have had no contact with 'civilisation' they are taught to remember and recite their history at great length.

Okay, thank you. I will check those link. Thanks

DoTcOm
Apr 18th 2007, 07:55 PM
Again, I woul like to say thank to Aliensyndm and all others for that helped me. Now my next question is: Is there a second Messiah? A friend of mine was at work showed me a book about a second Messiah. I have heard of the Messiah is coming a second time, but I don't if there is a second Messiah. If there is a second one, can someone in this forum enlighting me. I would appreciated very much. Thanks in advance.

Frances
Apr 19th 2007, 07:52 PM
No second Messiah, so no enlightemnment.

Jesus Christ will return to earth, in His Glory, when all the prophecies about Him in the Bible have been fulfilled.

Gods_Silent_Angel
Apr 19th 2007, 08:19 PM
Why did God chose Moses to write them>

DoTcOm
Apr 21st 2007, 02:57 PM
No second Messiah, so no enlightemnment.

Jesus Christ will return to earth, in His Glory, when all the prophecies about Him in the Bible have been fulfilled.

Well, Thank you for your answer. I was reffering this book title Second Messiah: Templars, the Turin Shroud and the Great Secret of Freemasonry. A Co-worker of mind was trying to impose this book on me to read. That is why I wanted some answer here on it.

Again, if anyone else have an answer please advise. Thanks in advance.

CML
Apr 22nd 2007, 07:01 AM

Way to go, Frances, great post! You said what I was going to say! ;)

According to the "Longevity chart: Adam to Joseph" (from Kent Hovind's ministry), we learn some interesting facts.

Adam knew Methuselah for 243 years.

The first 2157 years of history are covered by three men whose lives overlap (Adam, Methuselah and Shem).

Shem (who survived the flood, of course), knew Abraham, Issac and Jacob.

Jacob's son Joseph dies at the end of Genesis and right away in the second chapter of Exodus we have the birth of Moses.

TEITZY
Apr 22nd 2007, 10:25 AM

The first 5 books (Pentateuch) of the OT are commonly called the "Law" or the "Law of Moses". In the NT the entire OT is often referred to as "Moses and the prophets" (Lk 16:29). On the road to Emmaus, Jesus, "beginning at Moses and all the Prophets...expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself (Lk 24:27). Genesis 3:15 contains the first prophecy concerning Christ the coming Deliverer!

I figure if God can accurately communicate to men what is going to happen thousands of years into future, He can also accurately communicate to men what happened in the past as well.

Cheers
Leigh

percho
Oct 17th 2013, 03:08 PM
Way to go, Frances, great post! You said what I was going to say! ;)

According to the "Longevity chart: Adam to Joseph" (from Kent Hovind's ministry), we learn some interesting facts.

Adam knew Methuselah for 243 years.

The first 2157 years of history are covered by three men whose lives overlap (Adam, Methuselah and Shem).

Shem (who survived the flood, of course), knew Abraham, Issac and Jacob.

Jacob's son Joseph dies at the end of Genesis and right away in the second chapter of Exodus we have the birth of Moses.

I think maybe even Noah and Abraham's life overlapped whether they knew one another or not I don't know. However it was around four hundred years between Joseph and Moses.

Oregongrown
Oct 17th 2013, 03:55 PM

I just started reading Genesis. I have read parts of it, but I have never read the bible from front to back. I had started reading about 2 months ago, but I started in Joshua because we had done a bible study on it. I got through 2 Samuel, then started a couple of chapters of 1 Kings. Then I just decided it would be most beneficial to start back in Genesis. I believe the book was written by Moses. I believe that, at this point, because a trusted teacher of mine says the bible "suggests" that the first, five books (the Pentateuch, or Torah) were written by Moses. The things I don't know so far about the writings, is the scriptures that indicate Moses writing these books, so on to study more!!

Part 1: the books of Moses (http://www.biblegateway.com/blog/2011/02/tour-of-the-bible-part-1-the-books-of-moses/)

I just want to add, that a man wrote this blog (the link above) or men, and when I read something like a commentary etc. I let God be my guide, as to whether or not the information is correct. What I love about this teacher is that he is always saying things like "the bible suggests", or "it may be that it meant this or that". I never hear hims say he KNOWS unless it is literally in the bible, word for word. We can't know some things as God does not choose to reveal all things to us, that's what I am learning anyway, many of you probably already aware of that:idea::lol: Have a great day everyone, Denise, ysic

PS Oh Lord, and never let me forget the bible is a spiritual book, written by men inspired by the Holy Spirit working through them

Oregongrown
Oct 17th 2013, 04:12 PM
Thank you for the response, but I thought Moses was not around from the begining when God created Heanven and Earth? Is there a passage to support that? If so, please inform thanks.
From Dave Guzik Commentary on Pentateuch/Torah (http://www.studylight.org/com/guz/view.cgi?bk=0&ch=1)
But books are written my people that weren't living at the time, so what I discovered was that Moses must have been given the original text (some maybe printed on tablets) and he was able to reproduce the those books from earlier writings that occurred during the time.

Here is another part that helped me get an idea of how the writings all came about, remembering that these are suggestions based on study, but I don't think you will find anything in these "suggestions" that try to tell us this God's Truth:

5. According to the New Testament, Moses wrote the Book of Genesis (Luke 24:27, Luke 24:44). We can surmise that he did this with help from actual written records from the past God had preserved. There are indicators of where these records begin and end. Note the phrasing of Genesis 2:4, Genesis 5:1; Genesis 6:9; Genesis 10:1; Genesis 11:10; Genesis 11:27; Genesis 25:12; Genesis 25:19; Genesis 36:1; Genesis 36:9; Genesis 37:2.
Denises emphasis in bold:
a. Thus it is probable that the Book of Genesis was written originally by actual eyewitnesses of the events reported therein. Probably the original narratives were recorded on tables of stone or clay, in common practice of early times, and then handed down from father to son, finally coming into the possession of Moses. Moses perhaps selected the appropriate sections for compilation, inserted his own editorial additions and comments, and provided smooth transitions from one document to the next, with the final result being the Book of Genesis as we have received it. (Morris)

Oregongrown
Oct 17th 2013, 05:07 PM

This is some excellent information, and it makes good sense. Thank you for it, denise, ysic