PDA

View Full Version : Old Testament Numbering

steelcurtain76
Apr 24th 2007, 08:43 PM
I know these numbering questions arise anytime you compare related accounts in different books, such as 1 Kings and 2 Chronicles, but I was wondering how to reconcile some of them.

One I ran across yesterday is from 1 Kings 9:23 and 27. The account in I Kings 9:23 says that Solomon had 550 officials. The account in 2 Chronicles 8:10 says 250 officials. Each is describing the same event.

Additionally, the number of gold talents in I Kings 9 is 420 and 2 Chronicles 8:18 says 450.

How is this reconciled. I firmly believe that the Bible does not contain contradictions, but necessitates a further study on the topic for reconciliation. I am having a hard time finding the answer through scripture.

Christian Holzman
Apr 24th 2007, 11:19 PM
its just a mistranslation, there have been many translations that have taken place. Its nothing major, just something that has been overlooked. There are a few others like that like in one book the king is 12 yrs old while in another he is 21. Men are not perfect, even when they translate the bible.

steelcurtain76
Apr 25th 2007, 01:01 AM
its just a mistranslation, there have been many translations that have taken place. Its nothing major, just something that has been overlooked. There are a few others like that like in one book the king is 12 yrs old while in another he is 21. Men are not perfect, even when they translate the bible.

I see your point, but to try to convince someone who documents Bible contradictions, it won't convince them with the translation argument. I wish if this was truly the case, that these errors would have been cleared up by now.

GothicAngel
Apr 25th 2007, 01:31 AM
I see your point, but to try to convince someone who documents Bible contradictions, it won't convince them with the translation argument. I wish if this was truly the case, that these errors would have been cleared up by now.
Got a point there...

Also, I dont think that it is a transalttion issue. I went to biblegateway and looked up the 1 Kings 9:32 and 2 Chronicles 8:10 things, and they were the same in every transalation they have there: 250 and 550

TEITZY
Apr 25th 2007, 01:55 AM
I know these numbering questions arise anytime you compare related accounts in different books, such as 1 Kings and 2 Chronicles, but I was wondering how to reconcile some of them.

One I ran across yesterday is from 1 Kings 9:23 and 27. The account in I Kings 9:23 says that Solomon had 550 officials. The account in 2 Chronicles 8:10 says 250 officials. Each is describing the same event.

Well if you add the total number of officials recorded in both books it comes out the same anyway:

3300 (1 Kings 5:16) + 550 (1 Kings 9:23) = 3850
3600 (2 Chron 2:18) + 250 (2 Chron 8:10) = 3850

Additionally, the number of gold talents in I Kings 9 is 420 and 2 Chronicles 8:18 says 450.

Probably a scribal error here which can happen from time to time even though the scribes were fairly meticulous in their work. When we think of the Bible as inerrant it is in the sense of what it teaches is consistent from Genesis to Revelation. So a scribal error with a number does not alter the teaching or doctrine of the Word of God. Remember we don't have access to the original manuscripts, but rather copies (and good ones at that) of the originals.

Cheers
Leigh