PDA

View Full Version : Who is the founder?

StrongVibe
Apr 25th 2007, 01:33 AM
Who is the founder of Christianity?

GothicAngel
Apr 25th 2007, 01:34 AM
Christ is the founder.... why do you ask?

StrongVibe
Apr 25th 2007, 01:40 AM
I've heard it was Christ and Peter (or Paul)

GothicAngel
Apr 25th 2007, 01:42 AM
I've heard it was Christ and Peter (or Paul)
No, just Christ.

Peter was Jesus' greatest apostle, but he was no founder. And Paul either, he didnt even meet Jesus

Naphal
Apr 25th 2007, 06:30 AM
And Paul either, he didnt even meet Jesus

Paul met Jesus.

TEITZY
Apr 25th 2007, 08:07 AM
Who is the founder of Christianity?

Eph 2:20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone,

Christ is the founder and His teachings and the doctrines of Christianity were disseminated through His Apostles. Before Jesus ascended to heaven He told His Apostles that "the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you" (John 14:26).

Paul also rebuked the Corinthians because they were aligning themselves with Apostles rather than Christ (1 Cor 1:12).

Cheers
Leigh

Faithwalker
Apr 25th 2007, 08:45 AM
Christianity is not a human organization, it is spirit and life.

1Pe 2:4 As you come to him, the living stone who was rejected by people but was chosen and precious in God's sight, you, too, as living stones, are building yourselves up into a spiritual house and a holy priesthood, so that you may offer spiritual sacrifices that are acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

Joh 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is useless. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

GothicAngel
Apr 25th 2007, 12:36 PM
Paul met Jesus.
In the vision, maybe. But remember that was after He had ascneded.

watchinginawe
Apr 25th 2007, 01:04 PM
Who is the founder of Christianity?Here is another scripture telling us who the founder of Christianity is:

Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

and another verse 11 (where one might think Paul founded the Church in verse 10, yet he builds only upon that laid by Jesus Christ):

I Corinthians 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.

10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

and another in verse 16 (where in verse 18 one might think Peter founded the Church, yet he builds only upon that laid by Jesus Christ):

Matthew 16:13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.

15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

God Bless!

David Taylor
Apr 25th 2007, 01:39 PM
15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

God Bless!

I believe the common interpretation that Peter is the rock is all wrong.

Notice Jesus asks who they say he is, and Peter tells who Jesus is.
Jesus blesses Peter for acknowledging that Jesus is the Christ.

Then Jesus tells Peter who Peter is....and then goes back to the epiphany announcement that Jesus is not only the Christ, but the Rock that the church is built upon.

'this rock' referring to Peter's answer, ("thou art the Christ"), not referring to Peter himself at all.

Naphal
Apr 25th 2007, 09:24 PM
In the vision, maybe. But remember that was after He had ascneded.

It wasn't merely a vision. Christ came from heaven to speak to Paul.

Acts 9:27 But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles, and declared unto them how he had seen the Lord in the way, and that he had spoken to him, and how he had preached boldly at Damascus in the name of Jesus.

"he had seen the Lord"
The Lord "had spoken to him"

Paul met Christ.

punk
Apr 25th 2007, 09:27 PM
The earliest NT writings derive from Paul, so Paul made the first concrete steps to make Christianity more than a subsect of Judaism.

So, Paul.

dan
Apr 26th 2007, 06:48 PM
...The God Of Abraham, Isaac, And Jacob sent His Son.

1JN 4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.