PDA

View Full Version : Richard Dawkins

The_Realist
Apr 25th 2007, 04:42 PM
Has anyone read "The God Delusion?" Awesome book. Lots of good stuff in there.

aliensyndm
Apr 25th 2007, 05:17 PM
There's quite a few threads about Dawkins and his books. I'm almost finished the God Delusion. If that's the best argument an atheist can muster up then I don't think Christians have much to worry about.
Most of the book is spend slagging off religion rather than disproving the existence of God. His entire argument is "If God made the universe, who made God." He constantly goes on about people having their consciousness raised by Darwinian natural selection as if those people who don't know about it or believe it are some kind of lower beings. I was going to say he talks about evolution as if it's a fact but in the latter part of the book he actually comes right out and says evolution is a fact. Page 300 in my book

Admittedly this will not worry those many anti-abortionists who don't understand that that evolution is a fact!
(his italics)

Oh so it's a fact now is it ? Interesting.

God is outwith time. God is not bound by time. Dawkins obviously believes that the universe or matter itself is infinite or has always existed. Although interesting to note he still believes it has a beginning (big bang).
So this matter/energy he believes in is obviously self creating and would certainly appear to have supernatural properties. Somehow all the matter and energy in the universe spontaneously created itself out of nothing in an infinitely dense particle/singularity and then exploded and organised itself(since when to explosions order things?!?) into planets, stars, galaxies and then somehow life manage to create itself on a planet and then gradually became more and more complex and advanced over time, all this with no intelligent driving force or guiding hand.
That's quite a leap of faith !

Here is another thread on the God delusion.

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=79299&highlight=dawkins

tHbaGLORY
Apr 25th 2007, 05:32 PM
There's quite a few threads about Dawkins and his books. I'm almost finished the God Delusion. If that's the best argument an atheist can muster up then I don't think Christians have much to worry about.
Most of the book is spend slagging off religion rather than disproving the existence of God. His entire argument is "If God made the universe, who made God." He constantly goes on about people having their consciousness raised by Darwinian natural selection as if those people who don't know about it or believe it are some kind of lower beings. I was going to say he talks about evolution as if it's a fact but in the latter part of the book he actually comes right out and says evolution is a fact. Page 300 in my book

(his italics)

Oh so it's a fact now is it ? Interesting.

God is outwith time. God is not bound by time. Dawkins obviously believes that the universe or matter itself is infinite or has always existed. Although interesting to note he still believes it has a beginning (big bang).
So this matter/energy he believes in is obviously self creating and would certainly appear to have supernatural properties. Somehow all the matter and energy in the universe spontaneously created itself out of nothing in an infinitely dense particle/singularity and then exploded and organised itself(since when to explosions order things?!?) into planets, stars, galaxies and then somehow life manage to create itself on a planet and then gradually became more and more complex and advanced over time, all this with no intelligent driving force or guiding hand.
That's quite a leap of faith !

Here is another thread on the God delusion.

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=79299&highlight=dawkins

His entire argument is "if God made the universe, who made God?" and yet he believes the universe can come into existence spontaneously--without being created by anything? Is it just me--or is that a perfect example of inconsitent, biased reasoning?

Big T
Apr 25th 2007, 05:33 PM
nope and I doubt there's "lots of good stuff"

Steve M
Apr 25th 2007, 05:47 PM
Personally, I'm very put off by Dawkins' tone. Responding back with vitriole will only further coarsens debates. AKA, the Ann Coulter effect. It's entertaining, but ultimately only makes the divide between viewpoints worse.

aurora77
Apr 25th 2007, 05:50 PM
No, I haven't, but I'd like to. Dawkins seems to be quoted frequently by atheists and it would be good for me to have a better understanding of where their ideas are coming from.

Frances
Apr 26th 2007, 07:21 PM
Dawkins book should always be accompanied by "Deluded by Dawkins" by Andrew Wilson. . . he has no difficulty blowing holes in Dawkin's unScriptural writings.

TEITZY
Apr 26th 2007, 11:23 PM
Here (http://www.creationontheweb.com/content/view/4900) is a critique by AiG on Dawkins' book.

Evolutionary philosopher Michael Ruse had this to say about Dawkins' book:

The God Delusion makes me embarrassed to be an atheist...

I am just as critical of this book as of the work of Intelligent Design authors like Michael Behe, despite the fact that I as an agnostic am closer to Dawkins, and am 99% in agreement with his conclusions. But this book is stupid, politically disastrous and bad academics. If someone spoke about biology and evolution as he does on theology, Dawkins would react without mercy.

A good academic will inform himself in depth in a subject he is writing about. Dawkins did not. He is neither a philosopher nor a theologian. I am not a biologist myself, but at least I study the subject in depth before I write about it. And that arrogance and that pedantic attitude of his. …

Cheers
Leigh

Johndigger
Apr 26th 2007, 11:26 PM
He dealt with St Thomas Aquinas' Five Reasons for the existance of God in about a page.

With that, I lol'd and turned it shut.

JD

slightlypuzzled
Apr 26th 2007, 11:37 PM
I will say this for Sir Thomas, he hit the basics that still outline the Theist/non-Theists positions quite well. Dawkins has always been antagonistic to anyone who opposes the 'boot-strap philosophy' of humanity. Yet, the eternity of matter/conciousness can present just as many problems. I have only read snippets of the book since, as has been said, it's the 'same old same old' approach. I really like Paul Davies who will argue from a more theistic friendly position, at times.

IamRyan
May 1st 2007, 05:51 PM
To be matter something had to of made it, which is why there is a God, right there. And, if you say that something had to of made God, well which is better. Matter starting out the world for no reason, or a supreme being starting the world?

MikeMcK
May 2nd 2007, 09:54 PM

Honestly? No.

I've heard him speak. His arguments are based on a basic lack of understanding of scripture, basic Christian doctrine, and logic. Why waste my time?

Besides, I don't believe in Richard Dawkins.

Jemma Ash
May 4th 2007, 03:41 PM
Does God believe in Atheists?...lol its a rheotorical question...its also the name of a book...:lol:

jesuslover1968
May 4th 2007, 04:32 PM
I try not to waste my time on people who know God exist, yet spend the biggest part of their life trying to prove He doesn't. I honestly don't see the point. Why can't they just admit He exists, and deny Him? As that is what they are doing anyway. :rolleyes: Even demons acknowledge the existence of God. They apparently know the futility in trying to deny God. That is not going to change the fact that they are going to be subject to His wrath. No matter whether people admit He exists now, one day, every knee shall bow... God Bless.

Jemma Ash
May 4th 2007, 04:35 PM
very very true...

Tru_Knyte
May 6th 2007, 02:34 AM
Does God believe in Atheists?...lol its a rheotorical question...its also the name of a book...:lol:

Nice, I just got the book. In fact, it's sitting right next to me on my desk. Only gotten through 50 or so pages, but so far it's pretty good. I'm a phil minor, so his brief mention of the Greek arguments was pretty easy to understand. 'Bout all I've read so far though. :)