PDA

View Full Version : Can someone recommend a good study Bible?

AnnieforGod
May 1st 2007, 02:04 PM
I'm thinking a good study Bible might help me learn the scriptures better and there is so much that I have questions about.Can someone recommend a good one?I'm non-denominational.I feel funny having to ask so many questions on the board but I really want to learn.
Thanks,
Annie

uric3
May 1st 2007, 02:21 PM
I would suggest todays parallel Bible you have four different translations of the entire Bible. When you compare and read the same passage you are studying in different version the different wording in each one can help give you a better understanding. I don't like getting the study bibles with foot notes and things of that sort that try and help you out because 9-10 times its something that is taught in error and not really true. Just my experience any way.

Sold Out
May 1st 2007, 04:44 PM
I'm thinking a good study Bible might help me learn the scriptures better and there is so much that I have questions about.Can someone recommend a good one?I'm non-denominational.I feel funny having to ask so many questions on the board but I really want to learn.
Thanks,
Annie

The amplified bible is great! It really expounds on the greek....and it was translated by a woman!

IamRyan
May 1st 2007, 05:30 PM
Is the NAB a good one? That the one that I have been reading for a year and a half or so. Seems good so far.

Sold Out
May 1st 2007, 06:26 PM
Is the NAB a good one? That the one that I have been reading for a year and a half or so. Seems good so far.

That appears to be a Catholic bible...there are extra books.

DurbanDude
May 1st 2007, 06:40 PM
I love my NIV study bible. The commentary isn't too doctrinal yet does explain various viewpoints simply and clearly , and the background information is excellent.

It has a cross-reference system , a concordance , a commentary and a topic list , as well as various maps and timelines. (hey I should become a bible salesman!)

AnnieforGod
May 1st 2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys! Now I'm more mixed up than ever!LOL!!
Ok here is what I'm wanting to understand.The tribulation,the anti christ,and stuff like that.I've been a Christian most of my life but just in the last year I've really been reading the Bible and wanting to learn all there is.You are all so knowledgeable and sometimes I just feel so dense asking so many questions.
I really appreciate your help.
Annie

Pilgrimtozion
May 1st 2007, 07:34 PM
Wow Annie...there are so many different views on that! Some would recommend the Spirit Filled Life Study Bible, other the Ryrie Study Bible, other the Thompson Chain (one of my favorites for doing some study of the Word). My advice to you is to not get a Bible that gives you all the answers in footnotes. Instead, get a Bible that helps you find the answers as best as possible. In that context, I advise the Thompson Chain Reference Bible. It's available in KJV and NASB as far as I know, and I would advise you the NASB.

karenoka27
May 1st 2007, 07:50 PM
Pilgrim..I would like to second the Thompson Chain Study Bible! I have tried many different kinds through the years..but this one is truly the best (in my opinion.) I've already worn one out completely..cover no longer stays on pages are worn..(the best kind of Bible is a worn out one!) and I am on my way to wearing out the one I have now!)

MsLibby
May 1st 2007, 08:57 PM
Oh! I just bought myself a Thompson Chain Reference (KJV) last Friday...it's nice reading what you guys say about it. I've got to admit, it's a little overwhelming...I mean ~ there's just SO MUCH. I'm beginning to really love it, though Ok, sorry, didn't mean to get off-topic, just had to comment on my new Bible. :)

bebe
May 1st 2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks guys! Now I'm more mixed up than ever!LOL!!
Ok here is what I'm wanting to understand.The tribulation,the anti christ,and stuff like that.I've been a Christian most of my life but just in the last year I've really been reading the Bible and wanting to learn all there is.You are all so knowledgeable and sometimes I just feel so dense asking so many questions.
I really appreciate your help.
Annie

:confused It does sound confusing to hear of all the different bibles. They all contribute to a good understanding. I personally use NIV, KJV-Rainbow Study Bible, The Amplified and Nave's Topical Bible. The Rainbow Bible is color coded, and Nave's list's relevant topics, both are good for study of specific subjects. Since you are seeking knowledge in specifics, I would recommend them to you for that reason. Go browsing in a bible book store, check out all the ones suggested and see which one suits you best. You'll probably want to be prepared, you may end up buying more than one.;)
Happy Hunting!!!!!!!!!

Mercy4Me
May 1st 2007, 09:58 PM
I searched for years for a good study Bible! I finally settled on the Nelson's NKJV Study Bible, and have, for the most part, been really happy with it.

I think the others are right...there will be a LOT of opinion on this! I used to sit on the floor at the Bible book store poring over various study Bibles, until I found the one that had what I was looking for.

I'll tell you the things I like about it:

-Footnotes generally present various sides of an interpretation, instead of a specific doctrinal stance.

-Footnotes provide interesting historical background, which is primarily what I was looking for.

-There are a lot of "helps", things like charts, maps, word studies, etc. that really bring the Bible to life for me.

What I don't like?

-Some pages have very little Scripture text, because of the amount of "helps"...it's not great for devotional reading, for that reason.

-It's big and heavy, which makes it hard to transport. I have nerve problems in my arms, so it's hard for me to maneuver, but young, strong, healthy arms should do fine with it!

I'm sure there are more pros and cons, but can't think of them right now...I'll add more if I do!

Teke
May 1st 2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks,
Annie

Here (http://www.e-sword.net/) is a link for free Christian software. Try some of their bibles and study aids and then decide what you like. They have most of the popular bibles, and some old ones as well. Some are in the original languages, Hebrew and Greek.

Many people start with the KJV and use Strongs Concordance with that. It progresses from there.;)
There are also some good commentaries, along with study aides like the Bible Dictionary.:)

GothicAngel
May 1st 2007, 11:40 PM
if you get an EO bible, there are two more still.

TrustingFollower
May 2nd 2007, 12:32 AM
The latest bible I got is a NASB Scofield Study System bible. I don't like the study notes in it and they do not have the same doctrine I believe in. I bought it because it is a NASB and I liked the layout in the bible. I just ignore the study notes for the most part.

sjp182
May 2nd 2007, 02:10 AM

what are the books?

GothicAngel
May 2nd 2007, 02:23 AM
what are the books?
If I remember correctly, Tobit, Judith, Maccabees 1 and 2, Wisdom, Sirach [Ecclesiasticus], Baruch.

Also, in the EO bibles there are Maccabees 3 and I think another one

Teke
May 2nd 2007, 02:19 PM
if you get an EO bible, there are two more still.

If you get one, you better know Greek, because it isn't in English yet.:)
There is a NT with Psalms Study bible in English, but no OT (they use the Sept. not the KJV Massoretic text of the OT).
I wouldn't call it (NT) their best work, but it does give another perspective with ref verses and commentary.

AnnieforGod
May 2nd 2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks everyone for all the help!I'm going to take all the names you have given me to the Bible book store and plan to spend a while!
Teke,thanks for the link,I'm looking at it now.
Will let y'all know what I end up buying.
Annie

SemperReformanda
May 3rd 2007, 04:12 AM
I'm not a huge fan of everyday use of a study Bible. It makes me lazy, and not want to think about things myself.

That being said, John MacArthur's study Bible is great, if you ignore his eschatology. Also, Sproul's Reformation Study Bible is very worthwhile.

taddy
May 8th 2007, 08:54 PM
The Expositor's Study Bible (King James) from Jimmy Swaggart Ministries

www.jsm.org (http://www.jsm.org)

TADDY

Teke
May 8th 2007, 11:30 PM
I'm not a huge fan of everyday use of a study Bible. It makes me lazy, and not want to think about things myself.

Hmm, I think if you study you are going to think about things.;)

SemperReformanda
May 8th 2007, 11:41 PM
Hmm, I think if you study you are going to think about things.;)
Of course. But the use of a study Bible is not always conducive to study.

If I come across a passage in a normal Bible that I don't understand, I read it again, pray, look for other references to it in other parts of the Bible, see how it is used there, pray again, and read it again until I get the meaning.

With a study Bible I look at the footnotes and see what Mr. XYZ has to say about it, and don't need to study at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against them, but I do think that Christians should not use study Bibles as their daily reading Bible because it makes them lazy in the study area.

Teke
May 8th 2007, 11:45 PM
Of course. But the use of a study Bible is not always conducive to study.

If I come across a passage in a normal Bible that I don't understand, I read it again, pray, look for other references to it in other parts of the Bible, see how it is used there, pray again, and read it again until I get the meaning.

With a study Bible I look at the footnotes and see what Mr. XYZ has to say about it, and don't need to study at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against them, but I do think that Christians should not use study Bibles as their daily reading Bible because it makes them lazy in the study area.

Then you mean a commentary (clarifying for the OP).:)
A good study bible with critical notes and scripture refs. (such as the same word usage) are not commentaries.
For commentary, go to church.:D

SemperReformanda
May 8th 2007, 11:51 PM
Then you mean a commentary (clarifying for the OP).:)
A good study bible with critical notes and scripture refs. (such as the same word usage) are not commentaries.
For commentary, go to church.:D
We have a differing view of what a study Bible is then. Most study Bibles contain a commentary with notes on the verses on the bottom of the page.

karenoka27
Jan 17th 2008, 06:20 PM
The latest bible I got is a NASB Scofield Study System bible. I don't like the study notes in it and they do not have the same doctrine I believe in. I bought it because it is a NASB and I liked the layout in the bible. I just ignore the study notes for the most part.
I have a Scofield and I don't care for it either. My son is a huge NASB fan. I have that version...I have one of many versions, can't help myself. But I always end up back at KJV. And I've tried many such as Scofield, Nelson, Life Application,...I like the Thompson Chain, because it allows me to let the Holy Spirit be my teacher, taking me from one verse to the next. I like to just compare Scripture with Scripture without having someone tell me what it means. On occasion I will refer to a commentary, but only when trying to go back to the original translation (I use the Pulpit Commentary)...
My vote is for Thompson Chain...(ok, so I voted twice...);)