PDA

View Full Version : Salvation any other way?

karenoka27
May 4th 2007, 07:45 PM
So many times I hear people say "I've known God all my life.." or "I am saved...I believed in God." Maybe it's just me, but when someone tells me they are saved, I'm looking to hear "I believe that Jesus Christ died for my sins, was buried and rose again, having victory over death." ok not necessarily all those exact words..but you have to be able to say "Jesus Christ" I am amazed at how many call themselves Christians but won't give "Jesus Christ" the honor due Him.
Am I missing something? I really am curious. I also hear it often that some grew up in a Christian home so they always heard about Jesus Christ..but that doesn't mean they are personally saved. I think I fear for those who think they are saved by association. I would love to hear input and verses.

John 14: 6-"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me."

1 Corinthians 15:3-"For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,"

Acts 4:12-"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

GothicAngel
May 4th 2007, 10:43 PM
Although I do not believethe same as you on salvation...

Why or how could someone who believed all their life, would they be not saved as thoise who convert... what can they do about it?>

Sold Out
May 4th 2007, 10:49 PM
So many times I hear people say "I've known God all my life.." or "I am saved...I believed in God." Maybe it's just me, but when someone tells me they are saved, I'm looking to hear "I believe that Jesus Christ died for my sins, was buried and rose again, having victory over death." ok not necessarily all those exact words..but you have to be able to say "Jesus Christ" I am amazed at how many call themselves Christians but won't give "Jesus Christ" the honor due Him.
Am I missing something? I really am curious. I also hear it often that some grew up in a Christian home so they always heard about Jesus Christ..but that doesn't mean they are personally saved. I think I fear for those who think they are saved by association. I would love to hear input and verses.

John 14: 6-"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me."

1 Corinthians 15:3-"For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,"

Acts 4:12-"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

The best way to 'wade thru the muck' when getting answers like that is to find out exactly what that person is depending on to get them to heaven. The word 'saved' can be a relative term.

This is a way I learned to do it. Ask them, "What do you think it takes for a person to get to heaven?" (don't let them answer - proceed with the following..)

"Of course, believe in God, right?" (they will probably shake their head 'yes') Then continue with the following questions, holding up a finger for each one they agree with..

1. "What about going to church? Do you think that would help a little bit?"
2. "What about living a good life? Do you think that would help a little bit?"
3. "What about helping the poor? Do you think that would help a little bit?"
4. "What about keeping the commandments? Do you think that would help a little bit?"

Then say, "So what you're telling me is that you are depending on 4-5 things to get you to heaven right?"

Now you've got them...you've forced them to admit what they are depending on to get them to heaven. If they are truly saved, they will not be depending on ANY of these things to get them to heaven.

Then you present the Gospel to them!

wimp35
May 4th 2007, 11:17 PM
To get at what the person believes in their heart. I also would add to have a Bible handy andsome salvation scriptures memorized.

Jesusinmyheart
May 4th 2007, 11:17 PM
Why or how could someone who believed all their life, would they be not saved as thoise who convert... what can they do about it?

Do you know how many people proclaim His name, but walk not according to His teaching ?

In have met plenty of folks like that. They claim they are saved, but yet know not a single thing about obedience. I have recently experienced a sister's husband being enlightened, and all of a sudden this man turned athiest.

Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

I know a person who claims the name, but does not act like it at all. Many claim to know Yeshua on a personal level, and go to church every sunday, but yet they do not seek Him out on their own.

Php 2:12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,

karenoka27
May 4th 2007, 11:29 PM
Although I do not believethe same as you on salvation...

Why or how could someone who believed all their life, would they be not saved as thoise who convert... what can they do about it?>

you help me make my point...it is impossible to have believed all of your life. Ok perhaps since you were a baby you heard Jesus Christ taught to you. That doesn't make you saved. At some point in your own life you have to make a commitment to Christ, a personal surrendering of your own life, completely trusting in what Jesus Christ did for you trusting only in Him for your eternal life. Even your parent's can't do that for you.
Romans 5:12-"Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned"

No one is born saved. Yet so many say, "I knew Him all my life." It scares me when I hear people say this, for what if ...just what if they someday here the Lord say, "I never knew you..."Matthew 7:23

GothicAngel
May 4th 2007, 11:34 PM
You say that you cant believe all your life, you have to make a commitment?

I dont know, as long as I can remember I have believied in Christ as God, idk about that

punk
May 4th 2007, 11:34 PM
I think there is a strange sort of legalism in looking for a person to mouth the right words.

Sold Out
May 4th 2007, 11:40 PM
You say that you cant believe all your life, you have to make a commitment?

I dont know, as long as I can remember I have believied in Christ as God, idk about that

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God:" I John 5:1

karenoka27
May 4th 2007, 11:43 PM
I think there is a strange sort of legalism in looking for a person to mouth the right words.
I never said "mouth the right words..." I am only curious to know who thinks they were maybe born saved? Because that is the impression I get from those who say they knew Him all of their life.

And if believing in your heart and confessing with your mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord is legalism....I'm legalistic. (Romans 10:9)

Sold Out
May 4th 2007, 11:47 PM
Guys, the point here is how to DETERMINE if someone is saved, especially when that person uses familiar terms like "I believe in God." or "I have faith." or "I went to church all my life...", "I said a prayer at the altar."

None of those responses means that person is saved. The only way to tell is to find out what they are depending on to get them to heaven.

GothicAngel
May 4th 2007, 11:52 PM
I never said "mouth the right words..." I am only curious to know who thinks they were maybe born saved? Because that is the impression I get from those who say they knew Him all of their life.

And if believing in your heart and confessing with your mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord is legalism....I'm legalistic. (Romans 10:9)
But if it is true that your belief gets you to heaven andyou have always believed, wouldnt you have been born saved in a awy?

corijoysdad
May 5th 2007, 12:01 AM
Guys, the point here is how to DETERMINE if someone is saved, especially when that person uses familiar terms like "I believe in God." or "I have faith." or "I went to church all my life...", "I said a prayer at the altar."

None of those responses means that person is saved. The only way to tell is to find out what they are depending on to get them to heaven.

Even by them saying what they depend on to get into heaven doesn't mean they will be there. That too can be just words. I know many, many people who can say the right things. They will tell you that they are saved through Christ on the cross, but not one other thing in their life changes.

To me, someone can talk all they want about how they are saved, but it will show in the way they conduct their life, what they do with their time, talents and resources. And I'm not talking about doing "works" in order to score brownie points with God, but a life changing encounter with the Holy Spirit that compells you to do thhese things in His name.

diffangle
May 5th 2007, 12:40 AM
But if it is true that your belief gets you to heaven andyou have always believed, wouldnt you have been born saved in a awy?

As we know, the demons believe in Him... so belief alone doesn't get you into heaven. :)

Slug1
May 5th 2007, 12:42 AM
Believing that God exists and following God and two different paths. Your fruit will show the path you're on.

edit: Another thought, demons "know" God exists, no faith or belief involved.

karenoka27
May 5th 2007, 02:24 AM

Psalm 58:3-"Even from birth the wicked go astray;from the womb they are wayward and speak lies."

the word wicked in the strong's concordance is "rasha` {raw-shaw'}
1) wicked, criminal
a) guilty one, one guilty of crime (subst)
b) wicked (hostile to God)
c) wicked, guilty of sin (against God or man)

John 3:3-"Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? 5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

The Bible clearly says that you were not born saved. It also says that you must be "born again." So there has to be some point in your life that you come to understand that you were once separated from God but only through Jesus Christ can you be brought back to God.

By the way, I really find your thoughts and questions interesting, please know that.

cheech
May 5th 2007, 03:05 AM
I understand what you are saying. I too have always believed in Christ, knew that he died for my sins, and always went to church. Then one of slug's friend's sat with me one day and said "Do you know if you are going to Heaven or not?" to be honest...I didn't really know because at that time in my life I thought I would never be good enough...and I went to church and did all the things I was suppose to do. It wasn't until, I dove into God's word and began putting his word into action with both words and action did I begin to feel I would see those pearly gates. Saying the words "You are my savior Jesus, I believe you died for my sins..." have an impact when you hear them out loud and say them daily. You don't have to say them daily but you thank him daily for what he did...that acknowledges him and what he did for us.

Naphal
May 5th 2007, 08:45 AM
As we know, the demons believe in Him... so belief alone doesn't get you into heaven. :)

They believe in him as far as knowing he is real and even powerful but they don't believe "in him" as far as being loyal to him.

GothicAngel
May 5th 2007, 01:43 PM
They believe in him as far as knowing he is real and even powerful but they don't believe "in him" as far as being loyal to him.
1 a : to have a firm religious faith b : to accept as true, genuine, or real <ideals we believe in> <believes in ghosts>
2 : to have a firm conviction as to the goodness, efficacy, or ability of something <believe in exercise>
3 : to hold an opinion : THINK <I believe so>
transitive verb
1 a : to consider to be true or honest <believe the reports> <you wouldn't believe how long it took> b : to accept the word or evidence of <I believe you> <couldn't believe my ears>
2 : to hold as an opinion : SUPPOSE <I believe it will rain soon>

According to MW, the demons believe in God in every sense of the word

GothicAngel
May 5th 2007, 02:07 PM
The Bible clearly says that you were not born saved. It also says that you must be "born again." So there has to be some point in your life that you come to understand that you were once separated from God but only through Jesus Christ can you be brought back to God.

I dont know about that... See from when I was very small as I can remember, I have been taught that about God, and I have believed it also...

By the way, I really find your thoughts and questions interesting, please know that.

Thank you veyr mcuh, karenoka, God bless.

Naphal
May 5th 2007, 09:14 PM
1 a : to have a firm religious faith b : to accept as true, genuine, or real <ideals we believe in> <believes in ghosts>
2 : to have a firm conviction as to the goodness, efficacy, or ability of something <believe in exercise>
3 : to hold an opinion : THINK <I believe so>
transitive verb
1 a : to consider to be true or honest <believe the reports> <you wouldn't believe how long it took> b : to accept the word or evidence of <I believe you> <couldn't believe my ears>
2 : to hold as an opinion : SUPPOSE <I believe it will rain soon>

According to MW, the demons believe in God in every sense of the word

Hardly. You obviously don't know that you cannot simply pick and choose any definition you want. Thayer's lexicon states that it is mere acknowledgement of Christ's existence not a true4 believe upon or in him as his followers have.

diffangle
May 5th 2007, 09:44 PM
They believe in him as far as knowing he is real and even powerful but they don't believe "in him" as far as being loyal to him

That's where the definition of Salvation comes in... the difference in being a true believer/follower of Him or not is if we choose to believe AND follow His Word(obedience)... the demons choose disobedience to His Word as do many people. :(

Naphal
May 5th 2007, 09:55 PM
Mark 5:6 But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him,
Mark 5:7 And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not.
Mark 5:8 For he said unto him, Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit.
Mark 5:9 And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many.

Here we see a man possessed with evil spirits. The evil spirits themselves cause the man bow and worship Christ and they state that Christ is the son of the most high God. This doesn't mean evil spirits have converted and are "saved". Its merely a testimony to Christ's mighty authority even over evil.

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

They even "believe" although this is not belief that includes faith and loyalty and love towards God. It means they believe in God and how could they not being that they are supernatural and know that God is real unlike most of mankind.

Isaiah 45:23 I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

Romans 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

In light of how the evil spirits behaved when they saw Christ, these verses do not surprise me in the least.

Revelation 19:15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
Christ will rule with a rod of iron and even the wicked shall bow and tremble!

Hebrews 10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
Hebrews 10:13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.

eschatologist
May 6th 2007, 06:16 PM

( Romans 10:9-10 and 13): "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth thwe Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For whosoever shall call upon the name of thew Lord shall be saved."

The scriptures make it very clear that you have to confess Jesus as your Lord and Saviour in order to be saved. Confessing to be a Christian and believing in God does not fulfill the scriptural injunction to confess Jesus and believe that He died for your sins and rose again from the dead and is now sitting at the right hand of God. As someone once said, "Going into a church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than going into a Garage makes you a car."

Salvation doesn't really kick in unless you confess Jesus, not just confess that you believe in God or that you go to church or that you are a christian.:)

Jesusinmyheart
May 6th 2007, 07:01 PM
I have a huge hunch that confessing in itself means a changed heart to do whe will of God. Anything before that would be hypocrisy...

Faithwalker
May 6th 2007, 08:32 PM

Jesus Christ had many, many followers when He walked the earth, yet He told many of these, that they were faithless and unbelieving. What were`nt they believing? Certianly they believed He existed, and that He had great power, the evidence was right in front of them. They were`nt believing upon Him as their Saviour. They wanted what He could do for them here and now, but they didnt want to accept Him as their Lord. (even tho they offered Him plenty of lip service) Today, Jesus would ask the same question He asked then:

Luke 6:46 Jesus asked "Why do you keep calling me 'Lord, Lord,' but don't do what I tell you?

1Jo 5:4 Everyone who is born from God has overcome the world. Our faith is the victory that overcomes the world. Who overcomes the world? Is it not the person who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? This man, Jesus Christ, is the one who came by water and blood-not with water only, but with water and with blood. The Spirit is the one who verifies this, because the Spirit is the truth. For there are three witnesses- the Spirit, the water, and the blood-and these three are one. If we accept human testimony, God's testimony is greater, because it is the testimony of God and because he has testified about his Son. The person who [TRULY] believes in the Son of God has this testimony in himself. The person who does not believe God has made him a liar by not believing the testimony that God has given about his Son. This is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is found in his Son.
The person who has the Son has this life. The person who does not have the Son of God does not have this life.

DeafPosttrib
May 7th 2007, 05:53 AM
1 John 1:6 -"IF we say that we have fellowship with him, walk in darkness, we LIE, and do not the truth."

It tells us, many people claim, they did have relationship with Christ, but they still walk in sins, they are liars, and hyprocisy.

Also, in 1 John 2:4 - "He that saith, 'I know him', and keepeth NOT his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is NOT in him."

It tells us, a person claim, know Christ, but do not obey His commandments, is liar, and he is not in Christ.

Obivously, these verses showing us of conditional, these cannot support security salvation doctrine.

Notice 1 John 2:3 says, "And hereby we do know him that we know him, IF if we KEEP his commandments."

This telling us, we do know Christ, unless IF we obey His commandments.

'Know' means have truly relationship with another person.

Notice in Matt. 7:23 says, "And then will I profess unto them, 'I NEVER KNEW YOU: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

It tells us, Christ have no relationship in them, because they did not confess their sins, and did not truly walk in the light, fellowship with Christ while do their own good works same time.

Too many religions claim, they know Jesus, but they are full of hyprocrites.

There are two ways of the first epistle of John, that an individual would go to hell- 1. Do not confess sins to Christ 2. Did confess to Christ, BUT did not obey the commandments.

Our responsiblity is to believing on Christ, keep on confess our sins to Christ faithfully, walk in the light, obey His commandments, so, we cccan have eternal life at the end - Matt. 10:22; Matt. 24:13; 1 John 2:24-25; and Jude 3. OR... if we stopped believing, walk in dark, not obey his commandments, we might be cut off (John 15:6; Romans 11:19-23).

Clearly, in the Bible teaching us, salvation is conditional, base upon our resposnsiblity toward God. In the Judgment Day, our works and our fruits will be revealed what we has done in our life. Judgment Day is not funny.

I am sure that many religions are hoping ("R") that they will be make it into the heaven at the Judgment Day. But, many of them will be shocked and being ended up in the lake of fire. It will be terrible day for them.

In Christ
Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

GothicAngel
May 8th 2007, 01:50 PM
Hardly. You obviously don't know that you cannot simply pick and choose any definition you want. Thayer's lexicon states that it is mere acknowledgement of Christ's existence not a true4 believe upon or in him as his followers have.
Naphal

I was not picking and chossing the definitions. If you would like to link me to a differnt one, feel free to.

Naphal
May 8th 2007, 08:44 PM
Naphal

I was not picking and chossing the definitions. If you would like to link me to a differnt one, feel free to.

Go to blueletterbible.com and check out the lexicon there. What you posted was all the possible definitions the word can have but each occurence in scripture can have different definition rather than all of them. Example: With verbs, just being in a different tense can alter what it means even though it's spelled the same.

RogerW
May 8th 2007, 09:14 PM
Jas 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Both believest (speaking to one who is saved ), and believe (as devils do) are defined in the Strongís - to have faith (in, upon, or with respect to, a person or thing), i.e. credit; by implication, to entrust (especially one's spiritual well-being to Christ):--believe(-r), commit (to trust), put in trust with.

Since both devils and those who have been saved both have the same belief, what separates them? Both have faith, both give Christ credit, both entrust Him. Why arenít the devils, who also believe and tremble saved? Because we are not saved by our faith, or by our credit or our trust in Him. We are saved by His imputed faith, His work of righteousness, not our own. The devils are never given His imputed faith unto righteousness.
The devils, even though they believe, and understand perfectly Who Christ is are never given the gift of grace through faith, that is not of ourselves, but a gift of God. If it were dependent upon our faith, instead of His imputed faith, then even the devils could be saved.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

RW

Naphal
May 8th 2007, 10:53 PM
Both have faith, both give Christ credit, both entrust Him.

Couldn't disagree more. The devils do not have faith in Christ as his followers do. It's a completely different kind of faith.

Also, we are not save by Christ's imputed faith in us but our faith in Him. Salvation is the gift in those verses, not faith. Faith is of ourselves but not the ability to be saved.

SemperReformanda
May 8th 2007, 11:00 PM
Also, we are not save by Christ's imputed faith in us but our faith in Him. Salvation is the gift in those verses, not faith. Faith is of ourselves but not the ability to be saved.

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
(Ephesians 2:8-9)

Actually, in the Greek, the "and this" is the words καὶ τοῦτο. τοῦτο is a neuter word used to sum up the entire previous sentence. The gift, therefore is being saved, by grace, through faith. All a gift.

Naphal
May 9th 2007, 07:46 AM
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
(Ephesians 2:8-9)

Actually, in the Greek, the "and this" is the words καὶ τοῦτο. τοῦτο is a neuter word used to sum up the entire previous sentence. The gift, therefore is being saved, by grace, through faith. All a gift.

The faith is not the gift being addressed. In context it is concerning salvation and how one can be saved. It is not done ourselves but is a free gift given to us by the grace of God because we have faith, our faith towards God and in God.

Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

SemperReformanda
May 9th 2007, 09:32 PM
The faith is not the gift being addressed. In context it is concerning salvation and how one can be saved. It is not done ourselves but is a free gift given to us by the grace of God because we have faith, our faith towards God and in God.
Well, in my last post, I tried to show you that faith is being addressed, as the words "and this" are referring to grace, faith and salvation; the entire preceding sentence.

If you want me to prooftext that faith is a gift, say the word.

karenoka27
May 12th 2007, 06:14 PM
( Romans 10:9-10 and 13): "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth thwe Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For whosoever shall call upon the name of thew Lord shall be saved."

The scriptures make it very clear that you have to confess Jesus as your Lord and Saviour in order to be saved. Confessing to be a Christian and believing in God does not fulfill the scriptural injunction to confess Jesus and believe that He died for your sins and rose again from the dead and is now sitting at the right hand of God. As someone once said, "Going into a church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than going into a Garage makes you a car."

Salvation doesn't really kick in unless you confess Jesus, not just confess that you believe in God or that you go to church or that you are a christian.:)

Hi! I was away for a week and missed some of this discussion.
eschatologist I agree completely with what you said, I apologize for not adding that we need to confess Jesus as Lord..Romans 1:16-"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ!"....

Jesusinmyheart
May 13th 2007, 04:22 AM
Karenoka, here's another interesting passage for ya:

Php 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

:)

Soj
May 13th 2007, 06:23 AM
Maybe it's just me, but when someone tells me they are saved, I'm looking to hear "I believe that Jesus Christ died for my sins, was buried and rose again, having victory over death." ok not necessarily all those exact words..but you have to be able to say "Jesus Christ" I am amazed at how many call themselves Christians but won't give "Jesus Christ" the honor due Him...Amen sister, and it's not just you who thinks this!

The devils believe in one God and they tremble! (James 2:19)

So many people believe in God, but that is not enough...
So many people think that they are saved because they were brought up in a "Christian" home, but that is not enough...
So many people say they have known God all their life, but that is impossible until they reach an age where they know the difference between good and evil and then trust in Christ as their Saviour...

A person can only "know" God when they believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as their Saviour and become a new creature in Christ, old things pass away and all things become new, including their relationship with God. (2 Corinthians 5:17)

Religion with its false teaching and corruption of Gods word is a deception of Satan that causes so many people to think they are saved when they are not. This is where the Devil is victorious, he has people worshipping him when they think they are worshipping the Lord! As you said, they don't give Jesus Christ the honour due to Him.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.