PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Genesis 1.

HelpMyUnbeliefs
May 6th 2007, 03:19 AM
So on my path to Christ I went out and got a Bible. I decided I should read a little a day, and keep a journal next to me and write down any questions I have. This is what I got from Genesis 1.

1:14 "God made two great lights - the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night."

I'm pretty sure that the lesser light is referring to the moon, and the moon is not a source of light. Why does it call it a light? At the time did God not explain that is was just reflected? Would that be too much for Moses?

1:26 Then God said, "Let us make in our our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

What is the "us" he is referring to? I'm confused... :confused

Acicular Oculus
May 6th 2007, 04:46 AM
I'm pretty sure that the lesser light is referring to the moon, and the moon is not a source of light. Why does it call it a light? At the time did God not explain that is was just reflected? Would that be too much for Moses?

I don’t think that it is Moses that God was worried about. God could have given us the cure for cancer in the first paragraph, but He didn’t. He didn’t interfere with the development of man beyond that which was necessary for Him to make Himself known to humanity. As an example, God didn’t teach the Hebrews how to make Iron. The Philistines had Iron, and one could assume that God would have wanted them to be equally equipped, but that clearly wasn’t the case.

I don’t see much science, if any, in the bible. I see that which was once the foundation of science, namely philosophy, but I don’t see science. In fact, God destroyed the Tower of Babel because they were advancing too fast. They were, I think, on the threshold of what we, thousands of years later, are now on the threshold of.

1:26 Then God said, "Let us make in our our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

What is the "us" he is referring to? I'm confused

Genisis begins with, “In the begining God created the heavens and the earth. I think the literal translation is something to the effect of, “In the beginning Gods He created the heavens and the earth.” The beginning of the bible is God’s introduction to Himself to us. The creation is there to demonstrate that God preceded creation.

John 1:1-5, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.
Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.”

This matches perfectly the creation and is the only real information, I think, in the first part of Genesis. So, Jesus, the Word, was with God in the begining.

John 1:14, “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.”

So, who else? The Holy Spirit of course. Jesus is God, but, the Holy Spirit is God, and El Shaddai is God. All three are God, and that is the mystery of the Christian religion. All three were there, bu the three were one. In the creation, all three ‘personalities’ were in agreement, you can perhaps look at it like this: When your emotions suggest you do a thing, and your mind calculates how to do it, and your body prepares for the doing of it, you do that thing. Yea, there is only one you, but the aspects of you must all be working toward that purpose.

Have fun in your bible study, you are reading the greatest book ever written. Pray for guidance. You cannot get much out of the bible without prayer and help from the Spirit of God. But with that help the story of Christ throughout the bible leaps out at you and uplifts you.

God Bless,

Joel.

TEITZY
May 6th 2007, 06:14 AM
So on my path to Christ I went out and got a Bible. I decided I should read a little a day, and keep a journal next to me and write down any questions I have. This is what I got from Genesis 1.

1:14 "God made two great lights - the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night."

The word translated "lights" is also translated "bright" or "shining" and means 'luminary' in the Hebrew so this would cover objects that are a source of light (eg. sun) or those that reflect light such as the moon. Whether Moses understood that the moon reflected light or not is unimportant, the fact was that the moon provided light to "rule the night" just as God had said. The fact that the moon has various phases would have indicated it was a different light to the sun so there is no reason to conclude that ancient peoples did not understand this.

Cheers
Leigh

Righton
May 6th 2007, 07:59 PM
This is my first time in this forum. After thoroughly digesting the rules I have determined that in this forum it is best NOT to read what others say, so as not to be tempted to argue a point of someone else's. But because I am curious like a cat, I can't wait to read what others have said.

Here is my explanation, Help.

The first day of creation is the creation of Good and Evil. These would not be the sun, and moon, and the stars. Rather, it is a separation of good and evil, the creation of each, respectively. Before all things are created, good and evil must have their places.

So this leads to a follow-up: Why would God have to create good and evil, and if he's good, why would He create evil?

Good question!

My answer:

The LORD does not create evil directly. He creates it indirectly.

Inasmuch, evil is simply all those parts of His creation in which He has no part of. It is the part of his creation from which He has removed Himself entirely. Rebellion, sexual sins, perversion, idolatry, arrogance, just sin in general. These are His creations because to say they are not would be to say that someone else created them, someone who has the creative properties of God the Father.

God is love. If God is love, what is hate? Is hate [as opposed to hatred of sin, or righteous indignation] somebody else? I say no. Because if so, there'd be another creator. Dualism is the belief that two sides, good and evil, created life. The LORD is NOT dual-natured.

So my explanation is, he has removed Himself entirely from elements of His creation and these elements where He does not exist... the absense of love... is evil.

So He created evil as well, but not directly.

In the last part of His creation, God the Father was speaking to His Son, Jesus Christ. Probably the Holy Spirit, and maybe other beings who He has not yet told us of in His presense. I believe there are some spirits of God that He knows of, who we will learn of in the next life. Man was the crown of His creation, and it seems obvious to me that God the Father and Jesus Christ the Son and others have bodies like we have, as opposed to bodies like other animals we see on Earth, or trees, of fungus, or planets or comets or what-have-you.

I just looked over your post again to see if I've answered everything. So now as to your questions about the lesser lights...

according to Joseph's dream in Genesis 37: 9-10, the sun represents the father, the moon the mother.

It may be one of two things, as I see it:

The Sun represents God the Father, and the moon represents "the mother" of man, that is, the Holy Spirit.

Jesus refers to the Holy Spirit as "he"; however, that may have been just a form of reference, so the new faith in Christ may not be clouded by the worship of "The Goddess of Heaven" or other feminine religions. Christianity is rather feminine ["turn the other cheek"] compared to other religions, which are more revenge-oriented.

Another explanation is that Jesus the Son is in this instance the Sun to rule over the day, and Satan, or Lucifer, is the Moon to rule over the night.

I don't know the answers to this last question, but I feel like this may be it. It's what I feel The LORD leading me to say, anyway.

I hope I have been helpful to you, Help.

calidog
May 6th 2007, 09:58 PM

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Us is referring to God. The bible indicates that one God is three persons; the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit.

Gen 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
Gen 1:15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
Gen 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

He just says "two great lights" and doesnt explain how light is reflected from one to the other. Note that God is referring to Light, not the light source, and that He first created light itself:
Gen 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
Gen 1:4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

Frances
May 7th 2007, 06:13 PM
Then God said, "Let us make in our our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

The Trinity is the three Persons of the Godhead. They were talking together.

(Moses didn't make Genesis up, he wrote down what had been passed on by word of mouth from Adam and Eve, who talked with God, and heard about the beginning of the World from Him).