PDA

View Full Version : need help with praying

tubes373
May 7th 2007, 12:18 PM
im 14 and live in england and have been a christian all my life but i wondered do you have to pray everyday? ive been praying everyday for 30-40 mins a day asking god for help and thanking him but should i be doing this everyday? and i say the same kinda stuff to him everyday changing it rarely.

should i be doing this everyday?
and should i be saying the same things to him everyday also?
and how many times should i be praying every week?

if you could help me out with this i would really aprreciate it

rchivers
May 7th 2007, 02:27 PM
There is no prescription for prayer. Just pray when you want and/or feel its appropriate.

IamRyan
May 8th 2007, 05:56 PM
My suggestion would be to not say almost the same exact thing everyday. Change it up a bit. Thank Him for what happened that day, and then ask Him for help on what you would want to be(more helpful, pray more, etc.)

Parax
May 8th 2007, 06:01 PM
Ay and don't feel you have to pray at or for any particular time.

Pray as the Spirit takes you. Bedtime's always a good round off to the day thoug - pray about what you did, the things you liked, the things you found difficult.

The reason we pray is to chat to God - He wants to be our friend and involved in our lives and it'd be pretty odd if you had a best friend you never spoke to...

god_guided_guy
May 10th 2007, 12:45 AM
Tubes 373,

In matthew we are given a guidline on how to pray, it consisted of the lords prayer...and yes that is sufficient. But when most people pray they thank the Lord for what he has given them, ask for forgivness, pray for the unsaved etc. Your prayers are yours and yours alone. Between you and the lord. What one must understand is that Jesus already knows what is in your heart and what you are going to ask. Let me see if I can help you out some more:

Where to pray:
But you, when you pray, enter into your room. And shutting your door, pray to your Father in secret; and your Father who sees in secret shall reward you openly. Mat 6:6

How to pray:

Pray boldly

Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Heb 4:16 [for an example of bold prayer, see Gen 18.22-25] Pray with an attitude of deep love and respect for God

Then I proclaimed a fast there at the river of Ahava, that we might humble ourselves before our God, to seek from Him the right way for us and our little ones and all our possessions. Ezr 8:21

Pray "conversationally."

God is a person -- namely, your Father. Prayer is a deeply personal, intimate CONVERSATION with your Father -- not some *magical incantation* or religious babbling.
And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words. Mt 6:7

What to pray:

In "the Model Prayer," Jesus taught you to...

Pray to the Father.
Acknowledge God's holiness.
Seek God's kingdom and God's will.
Request God's daily provision.
Confess your sins, and seek forgiveness.
Request strength to resist evil and temptation.
Offer praises unto God.

(Jesus taught you...)
After this manner therefore pray ye...
Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespassess, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen. Mt 6.9-13
Share your sorrows and joys with God.
Is any among you suffering? Let him pray. Is any cheerful? Let him sing praise. Jam 5.13

Pray for spiritual and physical healing for yourself and others.

Pray for one another, that you may be healed. Jam 5.16b
Pray for those who govern your nation and the world, that we may live in peace and godliness.
(Pray...) for kings and all that are in high place; that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and gravity. 1 Tim 2.2
Pray for wisdom and discernment.
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. Jam 1.5 (see also 1 Kings 3.5-14)

Pray for your enemies.

(Jesus said...) I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you Mt 5.44

Pray for all your needs. Give thanks always unto God. Seek and receive God's peace that surpasses all understanding.

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philipp 4.6-7

You can find the information here (http://www.biblebell.org/chrislife/prayer.html)

Dolly_Dagger
May 10th 2007, 06:09 AM
here is my solution. im 17, and have been dealing with lust. i also have a problem with prayer. i want to do it everyday, but not make it a routine. i tell my self that when i start lusting to pray. therefore it does not become a routine, and it keeps you from lusting further. hope that helps
Dan

tubes373
May 10th 2007, 02:00 PM
thanks for the help you have gave me so far:)
but would god fogive me if i dont pray one day?

rh10033
May 11th 2007, 12:41 AM
If you except Jesus, there is no sin that can not be forgiven....unless you reject God which it doesnt sound like you have lol...but I pray whenever I feel like it during the day. I dont really have a routine for it...I just tell Jesus what's on my mind and if I'm mad I tell him. If I'm sad I tell him. It's good to let God know how you feel and to prayer for his guidence. Its also good to tell him how much you love him and thank him for everything.

BuffaloSoldier
May 11th 2007, 12:46 AM
Just always remember that praying isn't just getting on your knees and giving God a wish list of things you want fixed--a part of prayer is talking to God and then going out and working on trying to improve things.

IamRyan
May 11th 2007, 04:10 PM
thanks for the help you have gave me so far:)
but would god fogive me if i dont pray one day?

Sometimes it may seem hard to find time for the Lord everyday, but you really don't need a specific time for prayer, even though it is good to take time out of the day to pray. You can just be doing any kind of activity of while your walking somewhere and just talk. It's really easy and you don't have to find certain time for it.

tubes373
May 14th 2007, 06:41 PM
thanks for help so far:) but one last question how long should prayers be?

IamRyan
May 15th 2007, 12:59 AM
Just think of it like this. There are no certain guidelines and rules to praying(except some obvious things). Really it's just improv. They can be real short, or real long, it truly doesn't matter. As long as you are sincere, it doesn't matter when you say it or for how long. And remember to be sincere, trust me, your prayers do literally get answered.

tubes373
May 15th 2007, 04:25 PM
would praying once a week be good?

Frances
May 15th 2007, 04:36 PM
.................................................. ...........................

Frances
May 15th 2007, 04:42 PM
Hi tubes - personal prayer is just talking to God about what concerns you, and thanking Him for help He has given, and for just being available. As you are a Christian God is your best Friend. . . how often do you want to talk to your earthly 'best' friend? I talk to some of my friends every day, some less often . . . it depends how much they mean to me.

I talk to God at the beginning of each day during the time I set side to read His Word - about those things I've read and things I will encounter throughout the day. . . . I also talk to God throughout the day about what concerns me, maybe asking for His Guidance, thanking Him for His help or repenting for what I did that will displease Him, and I listen to Him too.

So the answer to your question is 'be available to God at all times, and in all situations, realising that really good friends don't need to be talking all the time, but just enjoy being together..

IamRyan
May 17th 2007, 11:01 PM

Let's just say this. If you had a father/best friend/ most awesome person in your life, would only talking to them once a week be good? Don't think of praying as a task that you have to complete a certain amount of times, but something that you do freely and without having to plan it really.

tubes373
May 21st 2007, 04:54 PM
thanks for the help this has really helped me:)
just one final question would praying 3-4 times a week be good?

BlessedAngel
May 25th 2007, 01:43 AM
I pray everyday, I believe to have a healthy relationship with God you need to Pray because that is the key to him. As for how long to pray, there is no time limit, I say a quick prayer in the morning and at night, and I pray alot throughout the day. I talk to him just like he were sitting right next to me. And I ask for strength alot, I find that it gets me through the day easier and I'm all in all a happier person

-angel

tubes373
May 27th 2007, 03:07 PM
thanks for all the help:)
i feel better now and have a better understading
thanks alot:)

Teke
May 27th 2007, 04:09 PM
Scripture says:
1Th 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

A good book that explores this subject is The Way of the Pilgrim (http://www.amazon.com/Way-Pilgrim-Continues-Shambhala-Classics/dp/1570628076/ref=sr_1_3/105-0350520-8624432?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180281960&sr=1-3)
Very easy to read. :)

fuzzy
May 28th 2007, 02:47 AM
Just remember that the only way God will get mad is if we dont pray to him and keep things ahead to him then for he is a jelouse God. But just as everyone said just talk aboult your day and seek him: Very simple. :):):):)

Monster_user
May 28th 2007, 05:07 AM

NO!

Pray without ceasing. - 1 Thessalonians 5:17 (http://www.godrules.net/library/kjv/kjv1the5.htm)

You should always be in a "state of prayer". Always asking, always listening to God. Always looking for signs. Always asking "What would Jesus Do".

What are the commandments of God.

0. Love Your Neighbor as yourself, and love your enemy.

Ask yourself, if you were in their shoes, how would you want to be treated, what would you think you deserved?

In all your ways acknowledge him. Seek understanding, and wisdom, and righteousness.

tubes373
May 28th 2007, 07:48 PM
i was just wondering if i pray for something one day and then the next day i pray again do i have to mention everything i said in the previous prayer in the next prayer?
thanks for the help:)

Loved
May 28th 2007, 08:42 PM
Tubes, prayer is not something that (should be) forced or regulated or just routine. Prayer is so much more than that, and if all you can think of it as is a duty or obligation, "what's the least I can pray to get by?!" I think it's time you took a step back and looked at what you believe and why.

You say you've been saved your whole life? The Bible says, "that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." (Romans 10:9-10) At what point did you do that?

Monster_user
May 29th 2007, 06:33 AM
i was just wondering if i pray for something one day and then the next day i pray again do i have to mention everything i said in the previous prayer in the next prayer?
thanks for the help:)

Yes, and No.

You should pray without ceasing.

If you pray for something one day, on the next pray for understanding about what you prayed for.

Continue to seek both God's will, and the answer. Even as you go to school, or work, or out at the mall. Even as you visit with family. Listen and care about people, and God will reveal the truth to you.

Do not repeat things day after day, prayer after prayer. For why would God change his mind just because you asked several times. If God says NO, then he means NO. If he says "wait", then asking again will not make it come faster. That said, if it is important then God repeats it several times. So if you desire something with all of your heart, then why not pray several times. Why not Fast as well?

tubes373
Jun 4th 2007, 07:44 PM
thanks for the help but
latelly ive been starting by prayer at 9 and not getting a bed till about 11 at night and once i went to bed at 10:30 and didnt get to bed till about 2:30 in the mourning
seeing as i feel i need to repeat stuff as i dont feel ive said something clear enough and theres always pauses in my prayer as i get disturbed or i feel i need a rest
if you could help me with this id really aprreciate it
and im sorry about all the questions
thanks

IamRyan
Jun 4th 2007, 09:48 PM
Maybe you could try putting some things in bulk. They can still be as sincere as they have been but instead of listing things you can say things in packs.

beautyinHIM
Jun 4th 2007, 10:51 PM
First off, i have to say, i am really impressed that you set aside such a long time to pray, and do it every day. This will really strengthen your relationship with Christ.
When you pray God understands what you mean, so you dont really need to go back and reexplain things that you have already prayed for, but if you feel as though it is something that is heavy on your heart, then you can spend any amount of time praying for one thing. Pauses in your prayers are fine. One thing i just recently realized is that prayer should be a 2 way conversation. Its good to take time to stop talking, and listen, and see if God is telling you anything.
I have a lot of trouble with prayer, because i tend to feel like God has better things to do than listen to me, and my mind tends to wander when i pray. So, i have started writing down my prayers, like writing a letter to God.
I think that you dont have to mention everything everyday. Like when you are talking to a friend. There are things that you always talk about when you are together, and then there are other things that you talk about. The same is true with God. There are things that you should always say when talking to God, but there are other things that you pray for as you feel led, and pray for the things that are burdening you at the time.

tubes373
Jun 5th 2007, 03:38 PM
i now feel a lot clearer on praying
thanks for all the help:):):)