PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Dunedanranger
May 9th 2007, 02:20 AM
I suppose I am going to sound very disrespectfull, but I don't mean to be in any way. My question is this: in what way does knowing we are nearing the End Times help us as Christians?

EDIT: nearing or in the end times

IamRyan
May 9th 2007, 02:50 AM
Well, after you have the initial relationship and all the faith down pat, the endtimes can be something to strengthen your faith. It gives you a sense of always being ready because you never know when it could happen, and it can give you a reason to try and turn people the right way before it is too late.

possumliving
May 9th 2007, 06:40 AM
I suppose I am going to sound very disrespectfull, but I don't mean to be in any way. My question is this: in what way does knowing we are nearing the End Times help us as Christians?

Well there are several, here are two:

Matt 24:42 Watch therefore [give strict attention, be cautious and active], for you do not know in what kind of a day [whether a near or remote one] your Lord is coming.
Matt 24:43 But understand this: had the householder known in what [part of the night, whether in a night or a morning] watch the thief was coming, he would have watched and would not have allowed his house to be undermined {and} broken into.
Matt 24:44 You also must be ready therefore, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not expect Him.
Matt 24:45 Who then is the faithful, thoughtful, {and} wise servant, whom his master has put in charge of his household to give to the others the food {and} supplies at the proper time?
Matt 24:46 Blessed (happy, fortunate, and to be envied) is that servant whom, when his master comes, he will find so doing.
Matt 24:47 I solemnly declare to you, he will set him over all his possessions.
Matt 24:48 But if that servant is wicked and says to himself, My master is delayed {and} is going to be gone a long time,
Matt 24:49 And begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with the drunken,
Matt 24:50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour of which he is not aware,
Matt 24:51 And will punish him [cut him up by scourging] and put him with the pretenders (hypocrites); there will be weeping and grinding of teeth.

Obviously, if we are wise and faithful then we have a job to do and that is to prepare others before it is too late. That means strengthening them in the Word and in their relationship with the Lord. When Tribulation does come, they need to be ready so that they can stand firmly in their place, not because somebody from a pulpit said so, but because they know in their hearts who they belong to no matter what satan tells them.

Secondly, there are a lot of scoffers today, even in the churches who are beating the sheep for not going along with the others. And they are spiritually drunk, some are even literally drunk. Why? Because they've been deluded.

So, personally I have a firm belief that Jesus calls His sheep and they know His voice. And those that know His voice aren't going to be deluded into a false sense of security either. They are going to be waiting and watching with purpose. And they are going to be preparing.

Steph

TEITZY
May 9th 2007, 07:23 AM

2 Pet 3:10-14 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells. Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless;

1 John 2:28-29 And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He appears, we may have confidence and not be ashamed before Him at His coming. If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him.

1 John 3:2-3 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

Cheers
Leigh

BeOfGoodCourage
May 9th 2007, 11:16 AM

Because the truth is important from beginning to end. None of us have the truth fully understood yet, and some have understanding less then others, but our pursuit of the truth is what God wants us to do and as we grow, and hopefully listen first to the Spirit of truth and listen to those who are humble in the truth instead of being boastful that they alone have it, well, then this continually draws us closer to our Creator who loves us with an everlasting love.

third hero
May 9th 2007, 02:45 PM

As far as knowing what times we live in, I believe that Christ found it important enough to tell us what to expect. Like Possumliving said, it is paramount that we do the Job that the Lord has given us, and that is to seek Him, tell others of Him, and strengthen those who are already His. At the same time, our work is to convict the sinful, the lustful, and those who live according to the flesh, to save their souls and their lives. If we had no idea what is going on, then we would be just like everyone else in the world, just people following after our own ways, trying to live to the best of our abilitiesand accomplishing nothing.

I hope this helps a little.

Bing
May 10th 2007, 09:40 AM
I posted here yesterday, but my computer burst into flames and the ghouls in my hard drive ate my post. Let me try again...

These are the reasons why I am absolutely fanatical about all things eschatalogical:

1. The focus of the gospel becomes infinitely clearer through an end times filter. We are not saved so that God can make our lives sail by just that little bit more smoother or to stop us from yelling at our boss on Monday mornings. We are saved because there is a King coming to set up His Kingdom here on earth. The setting up of that Kingdom is the end times.

2. Similar to #1, the entire Bible is saturated with the end times. You cannot seriously study Genesis, Exodus, the Psalms, the Song of Songs, Ecclesiastes, the gospels, Paul's epistles, the Minor Prophets or the Major Prophets without ending up neck-deep in the happenings of the end of the age. Biblical prophecy has a lot more to say about the end of things than about the beginning, or even than the interim. The Word of God has a potent bias towards the end of the age, and very nearly the entire Bible looks forward to the end of the age

3. Possibly my favourite reason to study the end times, they are all about Jesus. The end of the age and the study of this period is all about Jesus - the Revelation of Jesus Christ - remember? - and studying how and why He acts and what He will do at the end of the age allows us to delve deep into who He is. You will never find a more accessible or vibrant portal into the heart of God than in eschatology.

4. Vying for first place on my favouritometer, we are constantly exhorted to look forward to the coming age. The writer of Hebrews tells us of the 'full assurance' that we have as our anchor, the hope of those things that belong to salvation, the age to come, the resurrection, the eternal city. In his letter to Titus, Paul calls this our blessed hope, and what a hope it is!

5. Again tied to the previous point, this hope is not an intangible and immovable thing in the distance. Peter tells us that we can actually hasten the Day of the Lord. We are not spectators, but active participants in this, and there will come a day when the entire church cries out in unity with the Holy Spirit: "Come!" - - and even so, come, Lord Jesus! Come quickly!

6. Linked in a way to point number five is the fact that - we are not spectators, but active participants in this - and we cannot afford to be caught off guard. We are constantly told through the scripture to remain awake and alert, lest we fall into offence and bitterness, or even fall away from the faith, accepting false doctrines of more immediate comfort that salves our itching ears. If (as I believe) the church is to be here during the Great Tribulation that will come on the earth, we must take care to be prepared now.

7. I like linking my points together, don't I? This one is a little similar to the last, in that the church is to be here during the Great Tribulation - and it will be our greatest hour. The praying church will walk in obedience with the Spirit of God, united and in agreement with the purposes of Jesus. This is something that we must pray and contend for now, not put off. Thus it is crucially important to know the time in which we live.

8. Study of the end times is classic New Testament ecclesiology. Paul taught his wards about the end of the age as a core part of the gospel (which brings us full circle to points 1 and 2). We find in Acts 17:2 that he was in Thessalonica for only three weeks, and yet his letters to the Thessalonians are packed full of eschatology. Not new eschatology; redressings of points already fed them. Paul considered eschatology absolutely foundational even to new Christians, a fact borne out by his continued dwelling on the subject in all of his letters.

9. Probably hands down the best argument: Jesus told us to. Matthew 25:13. Enough said.

10. I'm doing that linking thing again. What else did Jesus tell us? He told us that nobody knows the day or the hour of His return. So, moot point then? We can't know, so just keep going and hope for the best? No! We do not know the day or the hour...but we will! Jesus cannot have meant that nobody would ever know, because one day, everyone will know. Maybe we shan't know until He splits the sky. Maybe we shan't know until a few years before. Despite this, not only can we know the season, we are commanded to know the season. In Matt 24 Jesus tells us that it is precisely because we do not know the exact hour that we must be especially prepared. We must be ready. Jesus came to the fig tree at a season when figs were not even to be expected (Mar 11:13), and because it did not yield fruit it perished. It should have known that the Son of Man was coming down the road. It did not, and so it perished. Jesus' coming will be like in the days of Noah. What happened then? God works the same way all through history. He tells His friends, the prophets, what He is doing (Amos 3:7). He told Noah over a century before calamity struck to prepare, and then gave him an exact date seven days before the rain came. Likewise, God will share what He is planning with His friends. I plan to be one of His friends in that day, and I pray that He will confide in me.

That is why I study the end times.

okiepastor
May 13th 2007, 08:36 PM
Dunedan, though, does have a point. We can't change it; moving it neither closer, nor delaying the Time. We have no knowledge of the time. All we can offer are guesses based on current events and Scripture. but, Y'Shua did say He would come like a theif in the night. So, as to knowing the time, it's merely a matter of curiousity, not of life or soul saving import. We can't do a thing about it, it's coming, when God wants it to come, ready or not.

Saved7
May 13th 2007, 10:34 PM
Jesus told us when we see these things to "look up, for your redemption draws near".
It's something that we desire, our "redemption.
Therefore, it's an encouragement to some, to "look up".:saint:

Toolapc
May 13th 2007, 10:48 PM

hey whats up merlin thats a great pic. did you no merlin was a prophet who predicted the world would end 2012. your picture reminds me of Merlin:lol:

Global warming is a good thing the world ending is a good thing. these are all signs that Jesus is coming.

right now us humans suffer we have a body that decays. boooooo so we must pray for Jesus to return so the died and the living can enter heaven.

When Jesus returns you are made new With a NEw Christ like inccoruptible BODY now you can enjoy heaven.

NOwing that Christ is coming helps us alot to prepare and to preach the word so people like you will understand whats going on in the world. God is giving people the chance to return to him before the Great Wrath comes.
its already started every month on the 10 is a pre judgment depending were you live.

Christ is coming be ready for judgement the faithful Will become Christ like:kiss:

possumliving
May 14th 2007, 07:51 AM
I posted here yesterday, but my computer burst into flames and the ghouls in my hard drive ate my post. Let me try again...

These are the reasons why I am absolutely fanatical about all things eschatalogical:

1. The focus of the gospel becomes infinitely clearer through an end times filter. We are not saved so that God can make our lives sail by just that little bit more smoother or to stop us from yelling at our boss on Monday mornings. We are saved because there is a King coming to set up His Kingdom here on earth. The setting up of that Kingdom is the end times.

2. Similar to #1, the entire Bible is saturated with the end times. You cannot seriously study Genesis, Exodus, the Psalms, the Song of Songs, Ecclesiastes, the gospels, Paul's epistles, the Minor Prophets or the Major Prophets without ending up neck-deep in the happenings of the end of the age. Biblical prophecy has a lot more to say about the end of things than about the beginning, or even than the interim. The Word of God has a potent bias towards the end of the age, and very nearly the entire Bible looks forward to the end of the age

3. Possibly my favourite reason to study the end times, they are all about Jesus. The end of the age and the study of this period is all about Jesus - the Revelation of Jesus Christ - remember? - and studying how and why He acts and what He will do at the end of the age allows us to delve deep into who He is. You will never find a more accessible or vibrant portal into the heart of God than in eschatology.

4. Vying for first place on my favouritometer, we are constantly exhorted to look forward to the coming age. The writer of Hebrews tells us of the 'full assurance' that we have as our anchor, the hope of those things that belong to salvation, the age to come, the resurrection, the eternal city. In his letter to Titus, Paul calls this our blessed hope, and what a hope it is!

5. Again tied to the previous point, this hope is not an intangible and immovable thing in the distance. Peter tells us that we can actually hasten the Day of the Lord. We are not spectators, but active participants in this, and there will come a day when the entire church cries out in unity with the Holy Spirit: "Come!" - - and even so, come, Lord Jesus! Come quickly!

6. Linked in a way to point number five is the fact that - we are not spectators, but active participants in this - and we cannot afford to be caught off guard. We are constantly told through the scripture to remain awake and alert, lest we fall into offence and bitterness, or even fall away from the faith, accepting false doctrines of more immediate comfort that salves our itching ears. If (as I believe) the church is to be here during the Great Tribulation that will come on the earth, we must take care to be prepared now.

7. I like linking my points together, don't I? This one is a little similar to the last, in that the church is to be here during the Great Tribulation - and it will be our greatest hour. The praying church will walk in obedience with the Spirit of God, united and in agreement with the purposes of Jesus. This is something that we must pray and contend for now, not put off. Thus it is crucially important to know the time in which we live.

8. Study of the end times is classic New Testament ecclesiology. Paul taught his wards about the end of the age as a core part of the gospel (which brings us full circle to points 1 and 2). We find in Acts 17:2 that he was in Thessalonica for only three weeks, and yet his letters to the Thessalonians are packed full of eschatology. Not new eschatology; redressings of points already fed them. Paul considered eschatology absolutely foundational even to new Christians, a fact borne out by his continued dwelling on the subject in all of his letters.

9. Probably hands down the best argument: Jesus told us to. Matthew 25:13. Enough said.

10. I'm doing that linking thing again. What else did Jesus tell us? He told us that nobody knows the day or the hour of His return. So, moot point then? We can't know, so just keep going and hope for the best? No! We do not know the day or the hour...but we will! Jesus cannot have meant that nobody would ever know, because one day, everyone will know. Maybe we shan't know until He splits the sky. Maybe we shan't know until a few years before. Despite this, not only can we know the season, we are commanded to know the season. In Matt 24 Jesus tells us that it is precisely because we do not know the exact hour that we must be especially prepared. We must be ready. Jesus came to the fig tree at a season when figs were not even to be expected (Mar 11:13), and because it did not yield fruit it perished. It should have known that the Son of Man was coming down the road. It did not, and so it perished. Jesus' coming will be like in the days of Noah. What happened then? God works the same way all through history. He tells His friends, the prophets, what He is doing (Amos 3:7). He told Noah over a century before calamity struck to prepare, and then gave him an exact date seven days before the rain came. Likewise, God will share what He is planning with His friends. I plan to be one of His friends in that day, and I pray that He will confide in me.

That is why I study the end times.
I do like how you linked all that together Bing!

AMEN!