PDA

View Full Version : What Do You People Think?

INOLVIDABLE
May 11th 2007, 03:56 PM
Can You Ever Be Too Much Into God That You Become A Fanatic And Not A Believer?

Im Asking This Because My Father Always Seems To See Me Watching Christian Tv, Talking About God, Going To Bible Studies, And He Told Me
"you Dont Want To Just Do That, Because You Will Go Crazy With It."
"you Need To Do Other Things As Well."
He Told Me, "you Dont Want To Become A Fanatic"

What Do You People Think?
Help.
Thanks.

Peace

rchivers
May 11th 2007, 04:02 PM
Wow, this is a really tough question.

The first thing that came to my mind was "Everything in Moderation."

The last thing you want to do is 'burn out'. But is it even possible to 'burn out' when it comes to fellowship with God?

I would say it only becomes a problem if you are neglecting certain things because of it. For example, if you stop taking care of yourself hygene-wise or stop cooking meals or cleaning your house or going to work.... or if while your at work all you do is read and post on bibleforums.org :D

Saved7
May 11th 2007, 04:13 PM

Im Asking This Because My Father Always Seems To See Me Watching Christian Tv, Talking About God, Going To Bible Studies, And He Told Me

Help.
Thanks.

Peace

My mother says the same things to me. But then again, she doesn't want God in her life, she just wants to beleive in "something" and go to heaven.:rolleyes:
But aside from that, I think those who become "fantatics" are those who never fully understand our Lord and the way He works in our lives. But, they come to Jesus, thinking they are going use Him for their purposes, instead of the other way around.
At least that's MHO.:dunno:

diffangle
May 11th 2007, 04:21 PM
Help.

I agree with rchivers....

I would say it only becomes a problem if you are neglecting certain things because of it. For example, if you stop taking care of yourself hygene-wise or stop cooking meals or cleaning your house or going to work.... or if while your at work all you do is read and post on bibleforums.org :D

Peace :)

Jesusinmyheart
May 11th 2007, 04:49 PM
INOLVIDABLE,

there has to be a balance. This is what i have learned. You search scriptures, to understand and learn truth, and then you go out there and put into action that which you have learned.

Simple as that.

Frances
May 11th 2007, 05:32 PM
No, I don't think you'll 'go crazy' spending time with 'Christians things' or that you'll stop being a believer and become a fanatic.

INOLVIDABLE,
there has to be a balance. This is what i have learned. You search scriptures, to understand and learn truth, and then you go out there and put into action that which you have learned. Simple as that.

I agree.

It is very nice and comfortable to be in 'holy huddles', and we definately need to spend time with other Christians - praying. studying and 'just being together' but we also need to have friends who are not Christians and spend time with them.

ps. :hmm: I have knwn Christians who have been so tied up with 'Christian things' that their home life has suffered. In one instance the home was a real 'tip', and in another the child felt ignored because their parents were so involved with ministering at a Conference Center there was never time to attend school functions or give birthday parties etc.

Jesusinmyheart
May 11th 2007, 05:39 PM
It is very nice and comfortable to be in 'holy huddles', and we definately need to spend time with other Christians - praying. studying and 'just being together' but we also need to have friends who are not Christians and spend time with them.

To above quote, i'd like to say following.
When i first was seeking dilligently, it was better to be alone and just looking to God to get the answers. I spent considerable amounts of time in the Word, to the point of being "born again".

When you are still learning it is not the greatest idea to surround oneself with those that have no Godliness about them at all. It can quickly lead you astray.
However, one still has a life to live, and if you have parebnts you are to obey them as would be fitting in the Lord.

After one is sure of their way, one should have the balance i spoke of.
And one is ready to be even surrounded by those that are not christian.

Yet the bible warns us:

2Co 6:14 Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

The Parson
May 11th 2007, 06:37 PM
Looks like this is going to be a good discussion. Wrong section to begin it in, but still a good one. Moving it to Maturing in Christ (http://bibleforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=65)

humbled
May 11th 2007, 07:03 PM

Help.
Thanks.

PeaceFirst a question, then a comment.

Is your dad a Christian?

My dad says the very same thing, and he is not a believer.

In fact, both of my parents think I'm a 'fanatic' because I take my faith so seriously. We've, unfortunately, been in arguments because of it. Not so much from my side as from his. He is absolutely HOSTILE to any form of religion because of his upbringing (I hate Christian Science and loathe its teachings for this reason ...)

But I think the truth is that, as long as you commit yourself to Christ fully, you will seem to be a fanatic. Because Christians ARE fanatic to the world. The apostles appeared fanatic, no doubt. And they CHANGED the face of the planet with their fanatacism.

It's a good thing that you are considered a fanatic ;)

Maybe not such a good thing for your dad that he considers you one if he claims to be a believer himself ... but who knows?

Grace to you

One more thing ... Why Do You Capitalize Every Word? Isn't That Hard To Type? It Is For Me, And I Just Did These Few Sentences! Whew, This Isn't Easy! :lol:

jiggyfly
May 11th 2007, 10:23 PM
Luke 10:38-42
38 As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a village where a woman named Martha welcomed them into her home. 39 Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. 40 But Martha was worrying over the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.”
41 But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are so upset over all these details! 42 There is really only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it—and I won’t take it away from her. NLT

Luke 10:38-42
The Lord and his disciples were traveling along and came to a village. When they got there, a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat down in front of the Lord and was listening to what he said. Martha was worried about all that had to be done. Finally, she went to Jesus and said, “ Lord, doesn’t it bother you that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her to come and help me!” The Lord answered, “Martha, Martha! You are worried and upset about so many things, but only one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen what is best, and it will not be taken away from her.” CEV

Someone once said that the definition of a Jesus fanatic is; "someone who loves Jesus more than you do". I would suggest that you are careful that you don't spend too much time focusing on religious things but one can never spend too much time focusing on Jesus.

Sold Out
May 11th 2007, 11:54 PM

Help.
Thanks.

Peace

Being committed to what you believe is not wrong. You are going to seem like an alien in this world, and you have to be prepared for people that are going to tell you that you are taking this Christianity thing too far.

Don't let anyone make you feel weird because you chose to do things that will strengthen you spiritually. My hats off to ya!

cheech
May 12th 2007, 12:08 AM
To be happy in the Lord is never fanatical! As the others pointed out...be well balanced. There is nothing wrong with hanging out with friends and enjoying yourself, but never feel you are reading the bible too much or learning too much about God or following his ways. That is what we are meant to do...walk in the steps of Christ:

1 John 2:5-6
5But if anyone obeys his word, God's love[a (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=69&chapter=2&verse=4&end_verse=6&version=31&context=context#fen-NIV-30540a)] is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: 6Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

To others we will look like fanatics...to God, we will be recognized as his children.

Don't feel bad...my parents always encouraged us kids to pray and have faith in God, but my mom once in a while will laugh and comment about spending so much time at church (different religion than hers). When I think about it...she's at church more than I am with all the holy days and such :lol:. I finally said "which is worse...I don't go at all or I go all the time?". It's funny how some "christians" (in general) can complain some go to church to much or are fanatical (I see fanatical if the persons thoughts and actions are damaging to themselves or those around them).

Continue learning and seeking...I'm sure God is very pleased :hug:.

DSK
May 12th 2007, 12:29 AM

Help.
Thanks.

Peace

I see this as a vital sign that spiritual life exists within you. It tells me you have a healthy hunger and thirst for God, and an appetite for spiritual things which cannot be quenched. I see it as a good thing.

Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

Psalm 63:1 O God, thou art my God; earnestly will I seek thee: My soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee, In a dry and weary land, where no water is.

Befaithful
May 12th 2007, 12:33 AM
1 Peter 2:9-10
9But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

10Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

When you read His word you realize without Jesus we were not even a people when we were in darkness.
I have been called a fanatic too. I have even been told that I should marry Jesus since I loved him so much. I smile and said that is the plan.:hug:

jiggyfly
May 12th 2007, 01:19 AM
"Many pastors criticize me for taking the Gospel so seriously. But do they really think that on Judgment Day, Christ will chastise me, saying, 'Leonard, you took Me too seriously?" Leonard Ravenhill

ravi4u2
May 12th 2007, 03:06 AM
When it is God, you burn but never burn out...There is no such thing as too much of God.

Beloved by God
May 12th 2007, 03:58 AM
Proverbs 6:27 Can a man take fire in his bosom, and his clothes not be burned? 28 Can one go upon hot coals, and his feet not be burned?

God just consumes you, you can't help it. And pushing Him away is never a good thing. Pray daily and ask God to guide you. You can't go wrong that way.

Toolapc
May 13th 2007, 01:37 PM

Help.
Thanks.

Peace

Your Dad just wants you to enjoy your life and sometimes when a person gets Got up in the End of days stuff they forget about there lifes. Its ok to give it a little break and find other hobbies that you enjoy. Your Dad just wants you to enjoy your life and try new things.

i consider myself a Fanatic and im proud of it all day i think about the new heaven and new earth. so being a fanatic of The Lord is a Good thing just remeber to live your life and have fun in this world.

Prinkster
May 13th 2007, 05:50 PM
I would say you can never have too much God. For example, in 1 Thessalonians chapter 5 we are told to "pray continually" (17) and "Do not put out the Spirit's fire" (19) - if God is telling you to worship Him and His spirit is moving you, don't resist!

One thing to be careful about is that one doesn't become swept up in the routine of God and begin to think things like, "I'm such a good Christian, look at how often I pray!" That's a grace and love that is bestowed on ourselves and is not of God. God is pleased by our worsip, but if our pride increases because of it, it's all for nothing (or maybe worse). I can say this safely because I indeed have had this problem. So I think the real danger is not becoming a fanatic, but becoming so immersed in a certain routine that you believe yourself sufficient for God's grace.

TrueBeliever1
May 14th 2007, 03:03 AM
Proverbs 8:17 I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.

Jeremiah 29:13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Whispering Grace
May 14th 2007, 03:13 AM
but we also need to have friends who are not Christians and spend time with them.

I am intrigued by this statement. I disagree that we need to have friends who are not Christians.

I am wondering what your rationale is for believing this?

INOLVIDABLE
May 15th 2007, 07:52 PM
MY FATHER IS CATHOLIC...

AND IM MORE INTO CHRISTIANITY...

ALSO I WAS THINKING BASED ON WHAT I READ IS MAYBE I JUST DONT KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT THE LORD TO THE POINT WHEN I FACED WITH SITUATIONS LIKE THIS I WOULNDT KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH THEM...

I ALSO THOUGHT MAYBE IS SATAN HIMSELF TRYING TO WORK AGAINST ME AND MY FATHER

MAKING ME LOOK AT MY FATHER AS A WHAT I CALL AN IGNORANT BELIEVER... BECAUSE HE DOES BELIEVE IN GOD
AND ME A "FANATIC"

AND I THINK IM WRONG FOR NAME CALLING MY FATHER ALSO...

:giveup:

THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS LOL

Jesuslovesme_23
May 20th 2007, 04:57 AM
I think it's good that you're seeking God, reading the Word, watching Christian TV, ect. While you can never have too much of God, I think there needs to be a healthy balance between that and everything else in your life. You do need to spend time with God, reading the Bible, and fellowshiping with other Christians, but it shouldn't be something that completely takes over your life. You have to live, you have to take care of yourself, your home, your family, and go out and do God's will for you. If this is all you do and you're ignoring everything and everyone else because of it, then you need to balance it out setting up time for God each day and also time to do what you need to do in your life with your home and family and such.
I have discovered that I've started to become what would be considered a "fanatic". I seem to spend more time in reading the Bible, reading Christian books, praising, thinking about and trying to figure out God's will for me and what to do with it, and praying then I do anything else. I've had times when I've basically locked myself in my room, ignoring everyone and basically everything else to just be focused on these things. While that is always a good thing, I found that I was not only upsetting my family because they felt ignored, but I was also not getting things done that needed to be done like cleaning, laundry, ect. And in dwelling upon His will for me, and trying to figure out for sure what to do with it, I wasn't even actually doing His will...just thinking about it..thinking about it to the point of totally dwelling on it..thinking about it every day...most of the day...almost to the point of it not leaving my mind...almost like an obsession and that wasn't really good. It didn't get anything accomplished toward His will and certainly didn't get anything acomplished that needed to be done for me or anyone else.
As far as your dad's concerned it may be that he either dislikes that you are not fallowing in his faith or that he may feel as though your ignoring him in spending all your time with this. If it becomes a problem in your relationship with your dad, I would say that you should sit down and talk about it with him, without arguing over it..just explaining how you feel and try to work it out, so this doesn't become something that comes between you.
It's not only reading the Bible, learning, praying, fellowshiping..it's actually living your life for Christ. You can live a life that's Christ centered and Christ led, but it shouldn't be to the point where that becomes an obsession and everything else suffers because of it. You have to LIVE your life for Christ and if you're obsessed with this and it's all you do then you're not really living your life and not really going to be able to be a blessing to anyone or able to witness to anyone if all your times spent with this.

ravi4u2
May 22nd 2007, 07:44 PM
There can be no greater deception tham what you see on Christian TV. There is no alternative to the Word of God and to be discipled by Godly people.

gertiegrl
May 24th 2007, 03:56 AM
I am intrigued by this statement. I disagree that we need to have friends who are not Christians.

I am wondering what your rationale is for believing this?

Havn't read past this point yet, but just wanted to comment on this post, I firmly believe we do need to befriend non-Christians as well as Christians. When I first became friends with my neighbour I had ignorant beliefs in reincarnation. Gradually she shared her faith with me and over a period of time and as I began to feel safe it was when I started to realise the sesarching I had been doing was in fact God calling me. Effectively I was bought to Christ by the faithful prayer and teaching and support of trusted Christian friends.

If we only ever befriend those who are already following Christ how can we expect people to have the trust in us to allow us to share the good news, and help recover the lost to Gods kingdom. The ultimate work is what God does in thier hearts, but lets look at it clearly - friendship evangalism is worthless with those who already believe in Christ!