PDA

View Full Version : So confused !!!!!!

SearchingSoul
May 11th 2007, 09:58 PM
I read and I read and I read - the Bible - the threads here - and other things.
It gets ever more confusing - I want to scream right now !!!

What am I to do? I'm just never going to be solid enough in faith :(

My prayer:
Please God let me filter out the rubbish and know the REAL truth and the REAL you as if you were my very best friend and nothing could make me doubt you because I know you so well. May it be so.

Pilgrimtozion
May 11th 2007, 10:01 PM
Hey there,

If you have any specific questions you want to ask, feel free to drop me a PM. Want to do what I can to help you here.

Benjamin

SearchingSoul
May 11th 2007, 10:13 PM
Thank you Benjamin that's very kind :hug:

I don't know what I want to know right now - I'm really in a muddle - and I keep landing back here - in this place of 'I don't know - How will I ever know? - Why do I not have this thing called FAITH?'

SS x

Pilgrimtozion
May 11th 2007, 10:19 PM
Hey SS,

I wish I could just flip the switch for you and open the eyes of your heart to see God in such a way that you could never doubt Him again. Could you maybe explain a bit of the muddle that apparently keeps you going in circles? I understand if you can't, but it would help me understand a bit better where you're at and how to help.

Benjamin

Acicular Oculus
May 12th 2007, 02:52 AM
The way I see it is that faith is like a seed, at least in the beginning. Yes, we want the tree now, but it doesn’t work that way, nothing does in the world of man except salvation, and that is a gift from God, not an action of man.

In another way faith is like a muscle, you have to work it. You have to work on it and you have to maintain it. I believe that exercise for faith are such things as, humility, modesty, honesty (when it hurts you), reliability, sacrifice, generosity, and such. When you do those kinds of things your faith becomes stronger.

In yet another way, faith is like good news. It is good to hear it, but it is better to share it. The more you talk to people about the good news in your heart, the more of it there is.

Faith isn’t a panacea for all of life’s troubles in the sense that it frees you from them. It is the solution for all of life’s troubles in that it prepares you for them. As you exercise your faith you become more able to understand that the goodness of God is infinite love and you are included in it. You understand that God has a purpose for you and you embrace that purpose. You understand that you aren’t as important as you think you are, but you are as important as God thinks you are, and by trusting your father in heaven, you can feel your importance, not as a matter of self opinion, but as a matter of felt love, as a matter of divine fact.

Joel.

TrueBeliever1
May 12th 2007, 05:05 AM
SearchingSoul, I need additional information about you. According to your profile, you're not a Christian correct? You haven't expressed the salvation confession. If you have, were you submerged in water and received the Laying of Hands afterwards for the Gift of the HOLY SPIRIT? TrueBeliever1

TEITZY
May 12th 2007, 08:05 AM
I read and I read and I read - the Bible - the threads here - and other things.
It gets ever more confusing - I want to scream right now !!!

My prayer:
Please God let me filter out the rubbish and know the REAL truth and the REAL you as if you were my very best friend and nothing could make me doubt you because I know you so well. May it be so.

Do you believe in God?
Do you believe you are a sinner?
Do you believe Jesus was the Son of God?
Do you know why Jesus came to earth?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get an idea where you're at.

Cheers
Leigh

Crystalblue
May 12th 2007, 11:58 AM

With prayers like that, don't worry, you'll be fine. God will guide you through as long as you keep on asking 'seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened'. That and reading the bible yourself.

One small thing though. The only way to God is through Jesus ('I am the way, the truth and the life' ect), so when you pray, don't forget to go through jesus (ie ask God in 'Jesus's name').

Try and do it your own way and you might as well be praying to a brick wall, because God loves everyone but the only way to him is through his son. (otherwise jesus would never have had to have died)

God bless

Frances
May 12th 2007, 05:19 PM

My prayer:

Of course you won't be 'solid in faith' before you submit to Jesus Christ!! He will help you to have the 'solid faith' you desire after you trust Him enough to commit your life to Him. We all have the same possibility of having a strong faith in God, we all have the same starting point - what counts most is who, or what, we put our faith in each moment.

He will answer your prayer. . . because He is your best friend. You will only know Him really well by trusting Him always, no matter what .. . .

the inside out
May 12th 2007, 05:24 PM
Have you surrendered your life to Jesus?

IamRyan
May 12th 2007, 11:53 PM
Hope this helps but, maybe when you pray to God you aren't sincere enough. Like do you just say the prayer without really thinking, or do you just say specific prayers, like the Our Father or the sinner's prayer? When you do pray, think deep and hard and try to be real sincere. It really does work much better.

OldChurchGuy
May 13th 2007, 08:53 PM
Thank you Benjamin that's very kind :hug:

I don't know what I want to know right now - I'm really in a muddle - and I keep landing back here - in this place of 'I don't know - How will I ever know? - Why do I not have this thing called FAITH?'

SS x

I am afraid I am contributing to the questions put to you with more. It has been my experience that the question you asked (Why do I not have this thing called FAITH?) means you most likely have some idea or notion of what you understand faith to be.

So, how would you describe a person who has this thing called faith? Put another way, what do you understand are the characteristics of a person having faith?

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

SearchingSoul
May 14th 2007, 04:29 PM
Thank you all for responding to my thread. I am a little overwhelmed by so many questions. I will try to give a little more info now.

I feel that I believe in a creator - things are so wonderfully made :)
I find the Bible a very difficult read and I don't understand a lot of it.
I will read (or hear) something that has me feeling so sure one minute - and then something that has me feeling very doubtful the next.
I was taught what I do know by Jehovah's Witnesses - but others believe differently.
I don't know who to trust to teach me about the Bible's message - and feel that I cannot read and understand it without help.

SS x

rchivers
May 14th 2007, 05:05 PM
Thank you all for responding to my thread. I am a little overwhelmed by so many questions. I will try to give a little more info now.

I will read (or hear) something that has me feeling so sure one minute - and then something that has me feeling very doubtful the next.
I was taught what I do know by Jehovah's Witnesses - but others believe differently.
I don't know who to trust to teach me about the Bible's message - and feel that I cannot read and understand it without help.

SS x

There is no shame in getting a childrens bible. Many times it makes clear things that seem really difficult to make sense of in the other versions.

SearchingSoul
May 14th 2007, 06:20 PM
There is no shame in getting a childrens bible. Many times it makes clear things that seem really difficult to make sense of in the other versions.

It's a thought - I'm willing to give that a try. Any recommendations as to which one to go for - nothing too simplified - I'm not completely dappy :D

SS x

HisGrace
May 14th 2007, 07:08 PM
SearchingSoul, you haven't said whether you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Until then, there is a veil over our eyes, and it can only be lifted with the infilling of the Holy Spirit.

I practically grew up in the church when I was young and the Bible meant nothing to me. However, once I became born again in my early 30's, I became hungry for the Word and the scriptures began to open up to me.

Still, as a baby Christian I found the King James Version hard to understand, and a pastor advised me to buy the New Living Bible Translation. I bought one right away and it has been an outstanding inspiration to me right from the beginning of my Christian walk.

2 Cor. 3:12Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold. 13We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to keep the Israelites from gazing at it while the radiance was fading away.

14But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away. 15Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts.

16But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

TEITZY
May 14th 2007, 11:57 PM

SS x

Believing in God and that He is your Creator is one important step in coming to faith. As your Creator you must also acknowledge that you are accountable to Him for the things you've done in this life. The next step would be to understand from God's Word more about what God is like or His divine attributes (eg. all-powerful, all-knowing, merciful, gracious, just, holy etc.). Do you believe God has perfect knowledge of all things and is perfectly just & fair in His judgments? If you need more evidence on the trustworthiness of the Bible there are plenty of threads on here discussing that topic. Here (http://www.creationontheweb.com/content/view/3052/) is a link that discusses various aspects of Biblical authority.

You also need to understand what God's law is and what he requires of man. A good summary of God's laws are the ten commandments (Exd 20) He gave to Moses and Israel. At this point you need to honestly look at your own life and ask the question, "Have I always kept God's law perfectly?" Have I always been truthful? Have I always loved God with my whole being? If you agree that God's law is right and that you have broken His law (even just one law) then you must also acknowledge that you are subject to His just punishment and there is nothing you can do to save yourself from His judgment.

Having a JW background you were no doubt taught that Jesus was not divine and this is another important step towards faith that you need to deal with as Jesus clearly & frequently claimed to be God in the flesh.

Anyhow, this is probably enough for the time being. Have a think about where you're at and what you believe about God and your position before Him. This will help us out a lot.:)

Cheers
Leigh

IamRyan
May 15th 2007, 01:04 AM
An NAB(New American Bible) isn't that bad. It's the one that I read, and it's been good so far.

SLJ1962
May 15th 2007, 02:07 AM
Now we will all have different opinions on different study Bibles :)

I use NIV "Reflecting God Study Bible". It is written in modern English. I know many people will only read the KJV. I sometimes read the KJV, but for me, the NIV is much easier to understand and study.

There are quite a few online Bibles. You could try Biblegateway.com. You can select from MANY different versions and see which is easiest for you, and even compare versions.

Beloved by God
May 18th 2007, 03:01 AM
Try a New King James Version. Or a American Standard version.

I always pray to God before I read my Bible. I ask him to help me understand what I am reading, and to let me learn what I need to know. Have you come across the verse that says those who seek him shall find him?

Matt 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Also, what books are you reading? Try starting with Matthew or maybe Proverbs, Chapter 10. Some people say John is a good place to start, but Matthew seemed to really speak to me when I started reading the Bible.

Jemma Ash
May 18th 2007, 07:27 AM
The NIv is good...i find it easy to read and understand most of the time...no one here has mentioned teh Good News Bible...that was my first bible and it is okay...not the best version but its an easier read than most...i find the New King James still too wordy...

Soj
May 18th 2007, 10:48 AM
Following are just a couple of promises that I hold dear to from the Bible, they meant alot to me when I first became a Christian and they still do now 14 years later:

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

In short, if you believe that Jesus died, was buried, and rose again the third day for YOU, and then ask God through prayer to forgive your sins and save your soul, then he will! He promises you that you will KNOW the truth and it WILL make you free. He also promises you that you will KNOW that you have eternal life once you have received it from him.

I can personally verify that these things are true, I do hope and pray that you will be able to say the same soon SearchingSoul. :)

dljc
May 18th 2007, 02:47 PM
Searching,

Let me ask this. Where are you reading in the Bible? What book are you reading in it?

Another suggestion to help understand the Bible would be to check out at your local library perhaps, some of the movies that have been made on Jesus' life. Such as "The Greatest Story Ever Told" and even "The Passion of the Christ", This might seem a little confusing since it's not in english or most languages that movies come in. But if you just watch what takes place in the movie, you can make the connections when you read it in the Bible. The Gospel's tell this story as well. Keep in mind though that the Passion movie is pretty graphic on what took place. But most Christians agree that this is how it could have looked to someone looking on. I imagine it was probably much worse than this myself.

But there are many movies that have been made that could help you by giving you a visual of this story. :) There are stories of the Old Testament too, like "The Ten Commandments". Many of these older movies and some of the newer ones can be checked out at your local public library for free.