PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Genesis 5 + 6

HelpMyUnbeliefs
May 14th 2007, 05:12 AM
5:5 - Altogether, Adam lived 930 years, and then he died.

When I read this I was taken aback, and as I continued reading Genesis I noticed that there were other extreme ages among people. Was the year shorter, or is this written in the exmaple of the modern timelength of a year?

What would a person who was 930 even look like :lol:

6:2 - ,the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose.

How come the males are called sons of God but the females daughters of men? I thought we were all children of God? I read this and felt like it was sexist :o (how I interpreted it anyways). And could they marry females without their consent?

TEITZY
May 14th 2007, 06:57 AM

When I read this I was taken aback, and as I continued reading Genesis I noticed that there were other extreme ages among people. Was the year shorter, or is this written in the exmaple of the modern timelength of a year?

Well I believe it is meant to be taken literally and nothing in the text suggests otherwise. The pre-flood world appears to have been radically different than the world we know today and the environment, food etc. provided more suitable conditions for long life. After the flood, the recorded ages of men tend to drop off quite sharply. You also have a much smaller or less diverse gene pool (Noah, his wife, his three sons and their wives) from which to repopulate the earth and so genetic mutations (which were not originally present in Adam & Eve) would tend to accumulate more quickly in populations (especially after Babel) and this would further reduce life expectancy.

6:2 - ,the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose.

How come the males are called sons of God but the females daughters of men? I thought we were all children of God? I read this and felt like it was sexist :o (how I interpreted it anyways). And could they marry females without their consent?

If you do a search on Gen 6 I'm sure you will find a bazillion threads on this topic. Personally I believe that the "sons of God" are fallen angels not human men. In the NT the term "sons" or "sons of God" is often used to designate all believers and many translations today render it "children of God" like John 1:12:

NIV - Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God

KJV - But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Cheers
Leigh

Jemma Ash
May 14th 2007, 08:06 AM
My dad mentioned this a bit in his sermon last night...moses lived till about 900 and others also lived for quite a while...he mentioned that for those who walked with the Lord in pre Jesus time (OT) God gave long life which can also be used as a parrallel to the NT in saying that those who follow him (new testiment and beyond) will have eternal life...

The answer to the daughters of men thing seems quite easy for me...eve was created by a rib of adams so she was created from adam...if that makes any sense. therefore she is a daughter of men...but that doesn't exclude her from being God's child...its a way of writing too...in a book, (i'm a writer) you don't want to repeat your self in the same sentence...it sounds clumsy to say sons of God and daughters of God...well that is my view anyway...
God Bless...

DSK
May 14th 2007, 11:55 AM
If you do a search on Gen 6 I'm sure you will find a bazillion threads on this topic. Personally I believe that the "sons of God" are fallen angels not human men. In the NT the term "sons" or "sons of God" is often used to designate all believers and many translations today render it "children of God" like John 1:12:

Gen 6:4 The Nephilim were in the earth in those days, and also after that, when the sons of God came unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them: the same were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown.

"the reference has to do with the breakdown of the separation of the godly line of Seth by intermarriage with the godless line of Cain ... the expression "sons of God' refers to all the godly, and "daughters of men" to all the ungodly." - C.I. Scofield Bible notes

diffangle
May 14th 2007, 01:26 PM
Here's a thread from a couple of weeks ago about the nephilim (the mixture of the sons of YHWH and the daughter's of men) spoken about in Gen. 6....

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=85466

Peace :)

OldChurchGuy
May 16th 2007, 02:42 AM

Some more excellent questions.

Regarding Adam's age, it can be taken literally or it can be understood as a way of honoring the person by crediting them with a long life span. Considering the average life span was probably around 40 or 50, to say someone lived many years beyond that is to say that person was really favored by God. But, understand, this is only an alternate theory. Neither belief (literal or nonliteral) can be proven correct or incorrect.

The Nephilim were some kind of supernatural being who found earth women especially desirable. Presuming they came from heaven, it has always seemed odd that God would punish the earth by flooding it when it was his Nephilim that were causing the problems to begin with.

Alternately (you knew there had to be another viewpoint, didn't you? :)), it has been argued that a great flood of some type occurred then people "backed into an explanation" as to why it happened. Since no one in Biblical times knew of weather patterns like we do today, it seems only natural to conclude that God was certainly angry about something to cause such a flood. So, the Nephilim were created as a way to explain an event that would prompt God to want to flood a huge area.

As always,

OldChurchGuy

DSK
May 16th 2007, 11:14 AM
Considering the average life span was probably around 40 or 50

Where do you get that from?

OldChurchGuy
May 17th 2007, 09:43 AM
Where do you get that from?

If one interprets the ages as symbolic, it is my understanding the average life span was about 40 or 50 years.

As noted earlier, a literal interpretation cannot be proven as correct and a non-literal interpretation cannot be proven as correct either. Either view is a matter of faith.

As always,

OldChurchGuy

DSK
May 17th 2007, 10:49 AM
If one interprets the ages as symbolic, it is my understanding the average life span was about 40 or 50 years.

As noted earlier, a literal interpretation cannot be proven as correct and a non-literal interpretation cannot be proven as correct either. Either view is a matter of faith.

As always,

OldChurchGuy

But it's safer and wiser to take God at His word concerning the ages of the antediluvians, than to be found in disagreement with the plain language of His written word. For instance some people say Methuselah really didn't live to be 969 years old, but that 969 should be taken as months rather than years, therefore they divide 969 by 12, and come up with a life span of 81 years for Methusaleh, which really doesn't present a problem until we try using that same formula with other antediluvians. Take for example, Gen 5:6 states; And Seth lived a hundred and five years, and begat Enosh: If we divide the 105 years in this verse by 12, that would mean Seth would have been just over 8 years old when he fathered Enosh. That is only one of the problems a symbolic non-literal reading of the Genesis account presents.

Duane Morse
May 17th 2007, 11:48 AM
Ge 5:21 And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah:

And Enoch would have been only 5.4 years old when he begat Methuselah.

My, my. They must have started out very young back then.

OldChurchGuy
May 20th 2007, 11:08 AM
Ge 5:21 And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah:

And Enoch would have been only 5.4 years old when he begat Methuselah.

My, my. They must have started out very young back then.

And that is why I don't subscribe to the theory DSK mentioned.

OldChurchGuy

OldChurchGuy
May 20th 2007, 11:12 AM
But it's safer and wiser to take God at His word concerning the ages of the antediluvians, than to be found in disagreement with the plain language of His written word. For instance some people say Methuselah really didn't live to be 969 years old, but that 969 should be taken as months rather than years, therefore they divide 969 by 12, and come up with a life span of 81 years for Methusaleh, which really doesn't present a problem until we try using that same formula with other antediluvians. Take for example, Gen 5:6 states; And Seth lived a hundred and five years, and begat Enosh: If we divide the 105 years in this verse by 12, that would mean Seth would have been just over 8 years old when he fathered Enosh. That is only one of the problems a symbolic non-literal reading of the Genesis account presents.

As written before, I can't prove a literal interpretation is correct. Nor can it be proven to be incorrect.

Why it is safer and wiser to take a literal interpretation regarding the ages of these various people?

Curious as always,

OldChurchGuy

DSK
May 20th 2007, 12:03 PM
Why it is safer and wiser to take a literal interpretation regarding the ages of these various people?

I have already shown you in my previous reply the problems a non-literal approach presents when doubting the length of years that our ancestors in Genesis are said to have lived. Re-read my last reply.

Sold Out
May 21st 2007, 06:36 PM
The sons of God refer to the angelic race that inter-mingled with the human race. Some say that our legendary Greek mythological charaters (Hercules, Zeus)emerged from this 'super race' of half angels/half humans.

This might also explain how the pyramids came to be....a super human that could lift those stones?

This is why God had to send the flood....Satan (via the angels that married humans) tried to taint the human race by contaminating the DNA. Noah was found to be 'genetically pure' as well as spiritually righteous. Satan was trying to prevent the Messiah from coming thru the Jewish race.

DSK
May 21st 2007, 07:19 PM
The sons of God refer to the angelic race that inter-mingled with the human race.

Thats pure myth and incorrect.

The "sons of God" is merely a reference to the Godly line of Seth, who maintained a realtionship with God. The "daughters of men" is merely in reference to the ungodly line or descendants of Cain. The Godly line of separation was beginning to break down, once the Godly intermingled with the ungodly, thereby producing a disintigration of the Godly line, which then began to promote the increase of evil and unGodliness. And as the people became more ungodly and wicked, then God sent the flood.