PDA

View Full Version : Question on Genesis 9.

HelpMyUnbeliefs
May 19th 2007, 02:59 AM
9:4/9:5 "But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it. And for your lifeblood I will surely demand an accounting. I will demand an accounting from every animal. And from each man, too, I will demand an accounting for the life of his fellow man."

:eek: I don't understand this at all. I read it over a few times, and it makes no sense. What is God saying?

BTW - I found that the rainbow is God's sign of not flooding the earth again beautiful! I will never look at a rainbow the same :pp

TEITZY
May 19th 2007, 03:14 AM
The main prohibition here is about eating or drinking blood and is repeated in Lev 17:10 & Acts 15:29. This was a pagan practice and God wanted His people to be separate from the heathen. Blood was also sacred in that it represented the life of an animal or person and was also used as an offering for sin. The prohibition may also include eating raw or uncooked meat as well.

I don't believe it applies to medium rare steak though (one of my favourites:lol: ).

Cheers
Leigh

HelpMyUnbeliefs
May 19th 2007, 03:23 AM
But what does it mean by "demand an accouting"?

TEITZY
May 19th 2007, 03:33 AM
It means they will be accountable to God and/or earthly God ordained authorities if they kill (murder) anyone. The punishment for murder was death (Exd 21:12). Even animals were to be killed if they killed a person (Exd 21:28).

Cheers
Leigh

Frances
May 19th 2007, 06:24 PM
I don't believe it applies to medium rare steak though (one of my favourites:lol: ).

If the animal it came from was properly bled after slaughter there shouldn't be any blood in it.