Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Second Thought on the Last Supper

A Second Thought on the Last Supper

Particularly the Gospels reveal spiritual truth. With the last book of the Bible, the Revelation of John, it is made clear that very often a figurative language is used. When we learn a foreign language, we have to find out how words are used in the context with other words. Same thing with the original manuscripts of the Bible, since they were the Word of God and written in God’s language.

One of the most fascinating verses in the Bible is John 7:38: He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. It is clear from the beginning that this verse is written in a figurative language. It is Jesus, who gives this living water, and what he is giving is his word. So John 7:38 means: He, who believes on Jesus as the scripture has said, can speak with the word of God. And the words are the spirit: John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

So we gain the real beauty of the Word of God when we find out the meaning of figurative verses.

Now we come to the Last Supper: Matthew 26:26-28 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

The Eucharist is the "most holy" Sacrament in the Catholic Church. Why? John 6:53 gives the answer: Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Jesus was speaking of the eternal life. Again a literal understanding of the verse makes no sense, since we are not cannibals.

What is the meaning of the flesh and blood? The meaning of the flesh is described in John 1:14: And the Word (Jesus) was made flesh, and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth. So Jesus flesh is the Word of God. Another verse that emphasized the figurative instead of the literal meaning of the Word is found in Matthew. Jesus was tempted of the devil in the wilderness, and he replied: Matthew 4:4 It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. The word of God is our bread. Matthew 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. So the blood is a symbol for the remission of sins, as it is already mentioned of the last supper in Matthew and even Paul repeats this meaning twice.

So the meaning of the Last Supper is: read the Word of God to be reminded on Jesus and be aware that your sins have been forgiven.

Last but not least there exists the most famous verse in the Bible, which is also related to the Last Supper, since it mentions the life and the only way to salvation: John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. With the symbols: Jesus is truth, and God is love (I John 4:16), we can translate the meaning of the verse: The truth guides you into love, and with this you find eternal life.

The love is the love of God, which means the unconditional love for every sinner. When we know that our sins are forgiven, we should forgive our neighbour also, because God forgave him his sins, too. The truth is the knowledge about salvation, that our sins are forgiven. The sin separated us from God, but now that our sins are forgiven, there is no hindrance for a loving relationship with God.
    And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

Originally posted by David ben Jesse View Post
    A Second Thought on the Last Supper

Particularly the Gospels reveal spiritual truth. With the last book of the Bible, the Revelation of John, it is made clear that very often a figurative language is used. When we learn a foreign language, we have to find out how words are used in the context with other words. Same thing with the original manuscripts of the Bible, since they were the Word of God and written in God’s language.

One of the most fascinating verses in the Bible is John 7:38: He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. It is clear from the beginning that this verse is written in a figurative language. It is Jesus, who gives this living water, and what he is giving is his word. So John 7:38 means: He, who believes on Jesus as the scripture has said, can speak with the word of God. And the words are the spirit: John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

So we gain the real beauty of the Word of God when we find out the meaning of figurative verses.

Now we come to the Last Supper: Matthew 26:26-28 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

The Eucharist is the "most holy" Sacrament in the Catholic Church. Why? John 6:53 gives the answer: Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Jesus was speaking of the eternal life. Again a literal understanding of the verse makes no sense, since we are not cannibals.

What is the meaning of the flesh and blood? The meaning of the flesh is described in John 1:14: And the Word (Jesus) was made flesh, and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth. So Jesus flesh is the Word of God. Another verse that emphasized the figurative instead of the literal meaning of the Word is found in Matthew. Jesus was tempted of the devil in the wilderness, and he replied: Matthew 4:4 It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. The word of God is our bread. Matthew 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. So the blood is a symbol for the remission of sins, as it is already mentioned of the last supper in Matthew and even Paul repeats this meaning twice.

So the meaning of the Last Supper is: read the Word of God to be reminded on Jesus and be aware that your sins have been forgiven.

Last but not least there exists the most famous verse in the Bible, which is also related to the Last Supper, since it mentions the life and the only way to salvation: John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. With the symbols: Jesus is truth, and God is love (I John 4:16), we can translate the meaning of the verse: The truth guides you into love, and with this you find eternal life.

The love is the love of God, which means the unconditional love for every sinner. When we know that our sins are forgiven, we should forgive our neighbour also, because God forgave him his sins, too. The truth is the knowledge about salvation, that our sins are forgiven. The sin separated us from God, but now that our sins are forgiven, there is no hindrance for a loving relationship with God.
    Beautiful piece of work. If all believers only accept that the love God has for us is greater than the love that man has for each other. Throughout my lifetime I have heard of the love of God. Yet, I was often guilty of the lack of love. Sin destroys the first love in the heart of man, through disobedience. It is the devil's oldest plan when he puts man under the power of sin through disobedience. Just as he captured Adam and Eve, he catches many today with disobedience. The love of God remains present only when we obey God and fulfill His perfect will in our lives.

Comment

Working...
    X