False Christ or false prophet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False Christ or false prophet?

The scriptures (Matt 24:5 & 11) mention being deceived by false Christ’s and false prophets. Who would those in the church be more likely to be led astray by?

Would the church be likely to be led astray by someone saying that they are Christ?
    Would the church be likely to be led astray by someone saying that they are a prophet?
    Would the church be equally likely to be led astray by someone saying that they are Christ as they would a prophet?
    Would the church be not likely to be led astray by someone claiming to be either?
    Would the church be likely to be led astray by someone saying that they are Christ?
    0.00%
    Would the church be likely to be led astray by someone saying that they are a prophet?
    100.00%
    Just as likely to be led astray by one saying that they are Christ as they would a prophet?
    0.00%
    Would the church be not likely to be led astray by someone claiming to be either?
    0.00%
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Re: False Christ or false prophet?

Originally posted by Old man View Post
    The scriptures (Matt 24:5 & 11) mention being deceived by false Christ’s and false prophets. Who would those in the church be more likely to be led astray by?

Would the church be equally likely to be led astray by someone saying that they are Christ as they would a prophet?
    If you're talking about the true Church (true Christians which make up the body of Christ), then I have to choose the last option, because Matthew 24:24 says "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.".

The elect, or true believers, will not be deceived since it wouldn't be possible.

Blessings
    B.
    Jeremiah 29:11
    "For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." (NASB)

Comment

The greek for for "Christ" means anointed. The Lord could very well be saying that many will comes claiming "I am anointed" and deceive many. To me this puts the statement is an entirely new light. The deceiver doesn't necessarily have to claim that he is christ...he can simply be claiming an anointing he doesn't posses.
      Mal 3:16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.

Comment

Originally posted by shepherdsword View Post
        The greek for for "Christ" means anointed. The Lord could very well be saying that many will comes claiming "I am anointed" and deceive many. To me this puts the statement is an entirely new light. The deceiver doesn't necessarily have to claim that he is christ...he can simply be claiming an anointing he doesn't posses.
        That is a really great point. rep'd!
        As the "thief" in the night, Christ is going to suddenly appear on the throne of Israel - not the antichrist.

Comment

Or he could be claiming that Christ Himself is the anointed One, but in reality he is what Paul calls a deceitful worker, transformed into a messenger of light. Saying that he believes Christ is the Anointed One certainly gives him opportunity to deceive many.

Comment

Wow, that certainly DOES put in a new light! There are an awful lot of people out there on "Christian" television claiming to be anointed...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanne57 View Post
              Wow, that certainly DOES put in a new light! There are an awful lot of people out there on "Christian" television claiming to be anointed...
              Yes but most of them claim anointing of a prophetic nature rather than "the" anointed one type anointing. This is why I think someone claiming to be a prophet (anointed) would be more convincing to believers than one claiming to be Christ (the anointed)
              "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
              C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
              "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
              "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
              "Our Hope is unchanged"
              "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Comment

I know of a country that claims to be anointed, prophetically.....
                As the "thief" in the night, Christ is going to suddenly appear on the throne of Israel - not the antichrist.

Comment

Originally posted by Old man View Post
                  Yes but most of them claim anointing of a prophetic nature rather than "the" anointed one type anointing. This is why I think someone claiming to be a prophet (anointed) would be more convincing to believers than one claiming to be Christ (the anointed)
                  That's what I thought, too.

Comment

Luke 9, Peter's confession of Christ.

…19They answered and said, "John the Baptist, and others say Elijah; but others, that one of the prophets of old has risen again." 20And He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" And Peter answered and said, "The Christ of God."

It matters what the anointing is for.

if the anointed ONE, is to rule Israel, then the point of False Messiah's is to rule Isreal (this happened after Christ prior to 70 AD)

And False prophets would be obviously different than a false messiah. We are awash in false prophets, but not necessarily false messiah's. Is there a single anointed ONE to rule Israel?

Comment

Working...
                    X