Useful analogy for explaining who God is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Useful analogy for explaining who God is

I like good analogies. They help me understand things better. Jesus used analogies in the form of parables all the time to tell use about God. How many of us have grown in our spiritual walk with Christ by meditating on the parables of the sower or the prodigal son? A parable sticks in the mind better than doctrinal facts. It encourages further meditation on spiritual truths. I think this is why Jesus used parables instead of just teaching dry doctrine.

I've been working on an analogy that it helpful in explaining who God is to non-believers, as well as strengthening the faith of those who do believe. The first part of the analogy is here. It's kinda long, so here is an excerpt:

The power of an author over his story is a picture of the power of God over the universe. Just as an author’s power is limitless over his story, God’s power is truly limitless, and He’s always in complete control.

Is anything too hard for the LORD? … (Genesis 18:14)

‘Ah, Lord GOD! It is you who have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and by your outstretched arm! Nothing is too hard for you. (Jeremiah 32:17)

Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases. (Psalm 115:3)

But what if someone asks how God can be good and all powerful and still allow evil to exist? Doesn’t that disprove the God of the Bible? Let’s look at this question through the lens of a storywriter.

What if someone told X-Men character Charles Xavier that Stan Lee is in control of everything that happens in his world. Would he believe it? Wouldn’t he have doubts? Charles could say Stan is either cruel or not in control because he made him a paraplegic, confined to a wheelchair. He could say Stan is cruel or not in control because of all the suffering and death Stan wrote into his world. He might even deny the existence of Stan Lee because of these things. And he would be wrong.

All good stories have five elements: setting, characters, plot, conflict and resolution. The bad things that happen in a story belong to the conflict element, and they are just as essential to the story as the other parts. A story with no conflict and eventual resolution is not a good story. It won’t hold interest and it won’t sell. If Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson spent all their time reading the newspaper or playing chess because there were no villains and so no need for Batman and Robin, the show would not have lasted an episode.

That all good stories have bad things happen in them does not reflect on the existence or character of the author. In fact, some of the worst characters and events occur in some of the best books and movies. The movie Speed would have been a box-office flop if Howard Payne (Dennis Hopper’s character) wasn’t there to plant bombs. But because he was so evil, everyone looked forward to the resolution. We wondered how Jack Traven (Keanu Reeve’s character) would prevent the various disasters from happening. That was the focus of the movie. It was not about the conflict (i.e. a guy planting bombs). It was about the resolution.

God’s story is also not about the conflict but about the resolution. We get too focused on the bad things that happen. We should be looking beyond that to the eventual resolution that God will surely bring about.
    Andrew Bernhardt
    "Salvation costs me nothing. Discipleship costs me everything."
    (dtjsoft.com)
Working...
X