Do You Regularly Attend Church?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Regularly Attend Church?

Thought it would be interesting to see where people here are as far as church attendance. By "regularly" I mean at least once monthly. Decided to keep it simple and make it either Yes or No.
    Yes
    87.50%
    No
    12.50%
    Love is patient, love is kind; it does not envy, it does not boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.

We generally attend weekly.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?” For it is not wise to ask such questions.
    Ecc 7:10

John777 exists to me only in quoted form.

Comment

Between 1982 and 1996 I was part of an Assembly that met four times a week. Not everybody could make could make every meeting, but they were there. Later, one of the weekday meetings was changed to various houses. The weekday meetings were two hours and Sunday morning was three hours including the Lord's Table. We often broke off the meeting on Sunday to eat at each other's houses and continue the fellowship between two or three families. Every meeting was centered on Christ, His Church and His Word. It was a glorious time. And it ended.

Comment

Originally posted by Walls View Post
        Between 1982 and 1996 I was part of an Assembly that met four times a week. Not everybody could make could make every meeting, but they were there. Later, one of the weekday meetings was changed to various houses. The weekday meetings were two hours and Sunday morning was three hours including the Lord's Table. We often broke off the meeting on Sunday to eat at each other's houses and continue the fellowship between two or three families. Every meeting was centered on Christ, His Church and His Word. It was a glorious time. And it ended.
        Sounds like a nice Christian fellowship/family, is this in USA? Would this be something in the vein of a Plymouth brethren assembly, from what I read they base their meetings on the early Christian house churches but still meet in a specified building generally a chapel or houses and try and run the Churches as individual, self governing and autonomous? Seems sad it ended, can I ask why?

Comment

Originally posted by boangry View Post

Sounds like a nice Christian fellowship/family, is this in USA? Would this be something in the vein of a Plymouth brethren assembly, from what I read they base their meetings on the early Christian house churches but still meet in a specified building generally a chapel or houses and try and run the Churches as individual, self governing and autonomous? Seems sad it ended, can I ask why?
          I am aware of such Assemblies in he USA, or was, but ours was in a Central European city. I would put down the fading away to (i) the ambition of a few to implement their ideas, which led to (ii) a slow evolution to the Nicolaitan system, which (iii) sanctioned up-and-coming talented brothers, which led (iv) to the words of 1st Corinthians 14 on how a Meeting should go, being set aside, which led to (v) the Church government not being taught, which (vi) ended in starving frustrated saints slipping back to indifference and resignation. These meetings, in the beginning, were very much like the Brethren Assemblies, but sisters were allowed to prophesy, and the emphasis was less on stark doctrine and more on the saints personal walk with, and enjoyment of Christ the Person.

In a sense I understand the situation. The stronger and more gifted brothers had their vision of how things should go and instead of waiting for the Holy Spirit to prepare the hearts of ALL, they tried to force things. One of the biggest causes of the breakdown of this glorious Church life was the swing from the building up of the individual saint, to numbers - the size of the congregation. I thought the Lord would add who He wanted, and we mustn't care about that. The meeting went from 2 families to about 100 in ten years - a reasonable growth without a rock band, without salaried leaders and with very direct teaching on what a fallen man has to contend with when dealing with a holy God. I understand that it is not the quantity but the quality that counts. We will always be the "little flock" and even of this "little flock" only a "Remnant" really achieves the Lord's goals - as the letters to the seven Churches shows. The Church is to be a Mustard bush with piquant fruit (about 5 ft high), not a great tree like Nebuchadnezzar's kingdom.

Since I moved away in 1996 there have been three major divisions among them and last I heard was that the meetings were not very Christ orientated. Sad.

Comment

Thanks, I find this very interesting.

We have had a few older couples start coming to our fellowship, they have come from the Brethren assemblies and have reported the same thing, we are committed to the pattern of how we see that Church should function as according to Pauls teaching, all men are priests and we have no pastor(in the modern tense) for we have gifted men in the Church, and those gifted to speak do not Lord it over but they encourage the other men if they want to contribute each week, this does have the odd drawback as some from charismatic backrounds have joined and say and do the odd inappropriate things.

But it does teach patience and temperance to be gentile in spirit and kind towards all, the ones Im thinking of grew despondent where they were and love how we focus on Christ and the emblems, and proclaim His death and cross work till He comes, and once they realised they were overly acting in different spirit to most of us and realised we lovingly were tolerating it, they respected us more and now generally tow the line. Not saying that there hasn't been heated debates where families have left over seemingly unimportant issues turning into big ones and even if its years now since the last time, im also wanting to point out we are not perfect by any means, but in a way Im thinking we are very lucky for I love it, for my family and kids, its very scripture and Christ orientated week in week out.

But I realise to, that to have our environment when we all become like family in the church, and we can worship according to a open new testament pattern I am becoming more and more thankful for it. I think that similar churches in our area are having more and more problems and again it seems like its all about the Nicolaitan attitude creeping in. I think it could be a sign of the times.

Comment

Three times weekly.
              sigpic
              ".....it's your nickel"

Comment

Originally posted by jayne View Post
                Three times weekly.
                Awesomeness !!
                --
                Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

~John 6:62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before?~ (Jesus is Eternal - existed before becoming a man)

Comment

I've spent most every week of my life in church, and am now retired. I'm not bragging as much as providing a basis for my own testimony. And my testimony is that a personal relationship with God is far superior to religious attendance at church. I attended a rather dry Lutheran church for the 1st 16-19 years of my life. Just before I turned 17 I realized how God had been with me my entire life, and yet I had drifted away from his righteousness. I was failing to give up my sins and return to his righteousness, and He told me it was because I had to give up my *will* to God. When I did, I was filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to enjoy a more personal relationship with God.

All my previous years in church had so much less value than the value I now received in walking with the Lord. But my religious upbringing in Lutheranism has helped me uniquely to understand where religion goes off the rails. Following God's word spiritually is far superior to following religious tradition, or even reading Scriptures. Scriptures are designed to cultivate a proper relationship between God and ourselves. That is the ultimate truth., to know and love God for ourselves. I'd much rather spend 24 hours a day in God's presence than 52 Sundays a year in church for a thousand years!

Comment

I mostly go once a week, on Sunday mornings. This is due to my work schedule which has me working all night and getting off in the morning at 7. Church starts at 9, so I go then. I spend the rest of the day trying to go to bed.

Comment

Originally posted by KennyB View Post
                      I mostly go once a week, on Sunday mornings. This is due to my work schedule which has me working all night and getting off in the morning at 7. Church starts at 9, so I go then. I spend the rest of the day trying to go to bed.
                      Right, that is today's world. I and a good number I know have had to work schedules that included Sundays, graveyard shifts, etc. The important thing is to be in fellowship. An organized church service is, however, good for the soul. And regular attendance is a routine that tends to keep us all on track. That's very important, because falling off the wagon can be so destructive. I personally think it is a huge mistake to place too much emphasis on how powerful the church is, or on how charismatic the leaders are. Just keeping a regular regimen of praising the Lord, together with others, keeps the soul healthy and open to hearing the Lord through the week.

Comment

Churches are filled with people going to hell.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinSilva View Post
                          Churches are filled with people going to hell.
                          Do you attend church?
                          Love is patient, love is kind; it does not envy, it does not boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.

Comment

No. I got kicked out.

Kevin Silva

Comment

Originally posted by KevinSilva View Post
                              No. I got kicked out.

Kevin Silva
                              All churches, you can't attend any?
                              --
                              Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

~John 6:62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before?~ (Jesus is Eternal - existed before becoming a man)

Comment

Working...
                              X