Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

as a believer can we swear to back the truth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• as a believer can we swear to back the truth?

as a believer can we swear to back the truth?

in the old testament swearing, i think its an accepted act. but as a new testament christian what is your understanding and scriptural standing.
    do we need to swear to convince people?

Re: as a believer can we swear to back the truth?

No. We let our "yes" be "yes," and our "no" be "no." Our lives should promote other people's confidence in us, not our words.

If I state something as true, you can be sure that my heart knows that it is true. If I state that I will do something for you, you can know that I will.
    Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.
    George Orwell

www.r2ucv.com

Comment

Jesus told us not to swear at all. So if you are a follower of Jesus and believe Him you shall not swear any oaths.

Matthew 5
      33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:

34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:

35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.

36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.

37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Comment

No, Christians are forbidden to swear oaths.

Comment

I have to concur. If you are ever called to be a witness in a US court, you must just call up Matthew 5:33-37 in the very bible they want you to place your hand on to swear. In other countries your testimony will be of lessor value if you do not swear. But this consequence must be left to the Lord Who commanded this of His people.

Comment

2 Corinthians 1:23

I call God as my witness that it was in order to spare you that I did not return to Corinth.

Evidently there isn't always a problem with swearing oaths.

Comment

Jesus' teachings occasionally came through hyperbole. It's possible this was so.
              To This Day

Comment

Working...
              X