Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about consequences of sin

I have two questions:

If the consequences of sin are death why aren't we dead?
    The Bible also says that people who commit adultery should be put to death, is that death instant?

I know they may seem silly but I have always wondered. From the research I have done I have noticed that people mainly say that the punishment of sin is death yes, but spiritual death and not physical. I guess this is also the same with adultery because this is also a sin.

God Bless!

Re: Question about consequences of sin

Originally posted by Ben9429 View Post
    I have two questions:

Because God loves you, to give you enough time to repent of your sins. Because while we were yet sinners, He died for us.

The Bible also says that people who commit adultery should be put to death, is that death instant?
    Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone. (John 8:7)

I know they may seem silly but I have always wondered. From the research I have done I have noticed that people mainly say that the punishment of sin is death yes, but spiritual death and not physical. I guess this is also the same with adultery because this is also a sin.

God Bless!
    Yes, all sin is punishable by death. Complete and total death. Death of the body and soul.

But "The Law" are things which pertain to the flesh body, and in The Law, all die.

But in the spirit, in forgiveness of sins, which was paid for by Jesus' blood... Gives life. Eternal life. No spiritual death!

"Behold, I make all things new." (Revelation 21:5)!
    John 10 (KJV)
    27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
    28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
    29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Comment

I have two questions:

God Bless!
      Up until now, in the whole history of mankind, only two men have not died; Enoch and Elijah. Even our Lord Jesus died because of (others') sins. Enoch and Elijah are most probably those two Witnesses in Jerusalem in Revelation Chapter 11 and they die too. So except for those Christians who are alive at the time of rapture, all men die.

The death is twofold. The body either gets old, wastes and dies of failure of some organ, or it gets damaged in some violent action and ceases to function. The soul has its death too. It is called "perdition." Vine tells us that "perdition" or "destruction" in Greek means "lack of well being." Our Lord experienced this in Gethsemane. He cries; "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death" (Matt.26:38). God warns men that physical death is not the one to be feared most, but the death of the soul... "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell" (Matt.10:28).

Although there is a sense of decay and death among men, and God certainly looks on men as already dead (Eph.2:1, 5) there is no mention of the death of the spirit of man. The spirit of man, God's breath, is his vitality. What it does need is a second birth so that man can progress from temporal life to eternal life (Jn.3:3-6).

Comment

It's definitely physical death. "You shall surely die". Not immediately, but people have been physically dying ever since.

You don't see any 3000-year-old people wandering around, do you? Well, there you go.

Also, Wall is correct about the death of the inward person also. Separation from God, who is Life, results in the opposite of life, which is death. Inward and outward. We basically begin to die physically as soon as we're born. Our bodies are touched by death and it's inescapable. It's a question of when, not if. Our souls have dead places that require resurrection. Which is difficult to understand for some, because they confuse consciousness and existence with life. They are not the same!

If somebody "feels dead inside" ... it's because they are. People with God's life, do not feel dead. They feel peace and joy and love and all those things.

The good news is that Jesus was raised from the death, is here to reconnect us to God and the source of life, and give life to our souls, and then our mortal bodies also which will be eventually completely fulfilled in a physical resurrection from the dead, with people getting immortal bodies at that time.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys!

I'm new to Christianity and there was just some things I wanted to get off my chest that I didn't understand so I really appreciate them. I have been doing some reading and the oldest person to live was 980 odd?? But because of sin the age has been lowered and lowered over time, from what I can gather.

God Bless

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys!

I'm new to Christianity and there was just some things I wanted to get off my chest that I didn't understand so I really appreciate them. I have been doing some reading and the oldest person to live was 980 odd?? But because of sin the age has been lowered and lowered over time, from what I can gather.

God Bless
            And it happened at a very odd moment: Right after the flood.

There is a reason for everything!
            John 10 (KJV)
            27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
            28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
            29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Comment

By old law adultry was punished by stoning, like the woman Christ stopped from being stoned to death. Some muslims still practice that law, remember recently in the news the woman being sentenced to death too? Wages of sin is spiritual death, as the previous brothers and sisters have mentioned. Those who practice the old law do not know the Christ.

Comment

And in the same way muslims do not worship God because they do not know Him and so there can be no comparison between muslims and Christians.

But you are correct on your point:

Those who practice the old law do not know the Christ.
                You cannot know God without Christ. He and the Father are One just as The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are One.
                "Some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone says anything back that is an outrage."

Comment

Death = separation.

Sin separates us from Life with God, which is Spritual Death.

Physical death separates us from life on earth, which is caused by Adam's Sin. Mankind begins to die from the moment of birth (sometimes even prior to it).

Comment

The sin in everyone's life will earn them death. Not just spiritual but physical. Same death that was promised to Adam.

What you aren't understanding is the natural state of existance known as Holy. Holiness isn't just good or perfect it also has a positive reaction to error (like sin) should it arise. The holier something is the stronger the reaction to error.

God is holy of the holy of the holy. The reason there is separation of man & God is that mankind is sinful. If we enter into God's presence we would instantly vaporize.

The earth is also holy. (Very good in Genesis is a double entendre with holy). The earth has been trying to destroy mankind for being on it since Adam first sinned. But God has extended to us a measure of temporary undeserved grace for being sinful. (Why we can draw our next breath).

There comes a day when we physically die and then face either judgement or a fuller measure of grace & reward. (Eternal life).

Comment

John. Can you point out scriptures that say , in context, that the earth is trying to destroy man?
                      "Some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone says anything back that is an outrage."

Comment

Originally posted by BrianW View Post
                        John. Can you point out scriptures that say , in context, that the earth is trying to destroy man?
                        Yeah. Gen 3.
                        Cursed is the Earth because of you.
                        As well as the earlier stated "Very good"

Hebrew poetry is really beautiful here. What God was saying was that God was going to forgive them but that the holy earth was not. (The earth is incapable of love or forgiveness) and because of its incapacity for forgiveness it was going to be one day destroyed. But in the meantime this whole earth was not going to forgive. (They had to leave the garden).

Later when Cain slew Abel, the emnity between man & Earth grew even more hostile.

God is good. God does not "punish". The Earth is set up with natural laws to remove those that defy their creator. From the hornet to the viper to the slow & clumsy bear to the rain (or lack of it) to the big fish in the seas. All of them do not defy God. We are the only ones that have such grace afforded to us.

Comment

And none of what you just wrote proves out what you've written which was

The earth has been trying to destroy mankind for being on it since Adam first sinned.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianW View Post
                            And none of what you just wrote proves out what you've written which was
                            I beg to differ. The very nature of Holy is what is actively seeking our destruction.

When Cain made the Earth drink Abel's blood the Earth was no longer going to give its fruit to Cain.
                            The reason being is that it gives to all that are holy. Those unholy/sinful it is at enmity with.

Now it is up to God to give us what the Earth gives to God.

(Which is why we thank God at every meal)

I'm at a loss to explain to you about Holiness' active reaction to error.
                            Why you aren't aware or can't see it in all of nature is beyond my ability to communicate it to you.

Comment

I'm focusing on your statement that the earth is trying to destroy man.

And the reason I'm doing so is this: It's a bold statement that isn't backed up by scripture. When someone says things like this and cannot back it up with scripture they begin to loose credibility. If you were speaking with someone who was searching for the truth and the gospel and you made statements like this and then couldn't back them up you would loose credibility in that persons eyes. Worse than that you run the risk of that person becoming suspect of the gospel itself as well.

As far as:

The very nature of Holy is what is actively seeking our destruction.

It's the same kind of statement with no scriptural backing.

Comment

Working...
                              X