Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interpreting Scripture: Are Gods words the same for all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice: Interpreting Scripture: Are Gods words the same for all?

Are Gods words the same for all?

I've always believed so. That what God was saying in scripture was meant to be the same for all who would hear him and not to be used to justify our personal beliefs or prejudices. In other words not make it say what we want it to.

Would this be accurate or am I way off base?

The reason I ask is cause the subject came up with a co-worker of mine on women preaching and mixed marriages. Mainly on the mixed marraiges is where we disagreed cause I find no scriptural basis that marrying someone of a different skin color is a sin. I know there are verses in the OT that talk about it but that wasnt based on skin but on idol worship, sexual indiscretion, etc...

I also tried to explain how a new covenant was formed in Christ and the old was done away with. And that is how the interpretation question came into play. He stated that God made us all different and we all read the bible differently. Which granted I can agree is true, but isnt the message the same for all?

Any thoughts on how I could better approach this or scriptural direction that I may humbly admit I am wrong?

Originally posted by Maverick57 View Post

I've always believed so. That what God was saying in scripture was meant to be the same for all who would hear him and not to be used to justify our personal beliefs or prejudices. In other words not make it say what we want it to.

The reason I ask is cause the subject came up with a co-worker of mine on women preaching and mixed marriages. Mainly on the mixed marraiges is where we disagreed cause I find no scriptural basis that marrying someone of a different skin color is a sin. I know there are verses in the OT that talk about it but that wasnt based on skin but on idol worship, sexual indiscretion, etc...

I also tried to explain how a new covenant was formed in Christ and the old was done away with. And that is how the interpretation question came into play. He stated that God made us all different and we all read the bible differently. Which granted I can agree is true, but isnt the message the same for all?

Any thoughts on how I could better approach this or scriptural direction that I may humbly admit I am wrong?
    Your friend is wrong on this.
    There is no distinction between people based on skin color or ethnicity in God's eyes. We're ALL of the human race.
    Paul even tells us that in Christ, there is no Jew nor Greek; if we're in Christ, we're all Abraham's seed and heirs according to the promise.

And also, scripture means the same thing for everybody. For someone to think they can interpret meanings to suit their personal liking, is completely wrong. It is what it is.

We should live our lives according to scripture, not turn scripture into something different, to make it fit our lives.

Make sense?
    Hebrews 11:1 Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Meike & I have the same birthday! Na-na na, na-na!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markdrums View Post
      There is no distinction between people based on skin color or ethnicity in God's eyes. We're ALL of the human race.
      Paul even tells us that in Christ, there is no Jew nor Greek; if we're in Christ, we're all Abraham's seed and heirs according to the promise.

And also, scripture means the same thing for everybody. For someone to think they can interpret meanings to suit their personal liking, is completely wrong. It is what it is.

We should live our lives according to scripture, not turn scripture into something different, to make it fit our lives.

Make sense?
      Good post. I completely agree.

Comment

also this verse:

Galatians 3:28

28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
        Psalm 118:8 - "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."

Comment

Originally posted by markdrums View Post

Make sense?

Thanks for the reply. It makes perfect sense to me, cause that's how I see it as well. I guess the trouble I was having was trying to explain that to my co-worker.

Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

I agree with you. If we're going to give each other license to say the Bible means different things, then we're opening the door to all kinds of wacky things. In fact, that's already happening right now. Just look at all the crazy ideas around the world about how to be "right" with God.
            ----------------------------------------------
            When the plain sense of Scripture make sense, seek no other sense.

Comment

No, he is wrong. Give him this verse.

2 Peter 1:19 And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts;
              20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,
              21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

I have never found anyone, however religious and devout who did not sometimes experience withdrawal of grace, or feel a lessening of devotion. -Thomas a Kempis

If You Need Help, Ask God. If You Don't, Thank God. -Unknown

The devil is a better theologian than any of us and is a devil still. -A.W. Tozer

Comment

Working...
              X