Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does scripture support? Young Universe or Old Universe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does scripture support? Young Universe or Old Universe?

This thread is not a science thread, but rather a discussion on what you think scripture leans more towards on the age of the Universe. By using scripture alone, does the Universe appear to be Billions of years old, or thousands of years old? If there is already a thread on this, sorry for the repeat.

If you already believe in the authority of man made science theories, over the Word of God, then you don't need to worry about this thread, it is opposite of your theological beliefs anyway. This is an authority of scripture over man's ideas thread.

Young universe.
    To This Day

Comment

Originally posted by lamplighter
      By using scripture alone, does the Universe appear to be Billions of years old, or thousands of years old?
      Neither, for the Scriptures are silent on the issue.

If you already believe in the authority of man made science theories, over the Word of God, then you don't need to worry about this thread, it is opposite of your theological beliefs anyway. This is an authority of scripture over man's ideas thread.
      All truth agrees. The word of God will be concord with the truths of science.

Comment

Originally posted by markedward
        Young universe.
        Why? Where does the bible say the Earth is young?

Comment

It's your interpretation that the Scriptures are silent on the issue.

It's my interpretation that the Scriptures imply a young earth.
          To This Day

Comment

Originally posted by Old Earther View Post
            Why? Where does the bible say the Earth is young?
            Where does the Bible say it's billions of years old? You go first.

Comment

My opinion the Biblical text supports a young Earth.

When you add the numbers of years up by the listed ages of the men in Christ's genealogy, you get several thousand years. Christ was alive about 2000 years ago. So as far as the Biblical texts go, it appears the Earth is young according to the genealogy of Christ.

Ok, old Earthers, what scripture do you use to fit billions or several millions of years into Biblical text? Go for it.

Comment

Seems to always come across as young.
                The only reason God created the heavens and the earth was for man, and scripture puts man in the garden at the beginning of creation--the foundation of the world
                And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Comment

Originally posted by markedward
                  It's my interpretation that the Scriptures imply a young earth
                  Once again, where does the Bible say the Earth is young?

Comment

Where does the Bible say it's billions of years old? You go first.
                    Re-read my first post in this thread. The Bible is silent on the issue.

Comment

When you add the numbers of years up by the listed ages of the men in Christ's genealogy, you get several thousand years. Christ was alive about 2000 years ago. So as far as the Biblical texts go, it appears the Earth is young according to the genealogy of Christ.
                      Your argument is ultimately based on the assumption that the Genesis accounts of creation are supposed to be taken literally. However, these texts were not intended to be taken literally. To take them literally is to miss the point. Besides, if you want to insist on a literal reading, then how to you reconcile the contradictions between chapter 1 and chapter 2? For instance, the first chapter states that man was created after the animals, whereas the second chapter states the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffweeder
                        The only reason God created the heavens and the earth was for man
                        Talk about man-centered theology. Why do you believe this?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Earther View Post
                          Besides, if you want to insist on a literal reading, then how to you reconcile the contradictions between chapter 1 and chapter 2? For instance, the first chapter states that man was created after the animals, whereas the second chapter states the opposite.
                          Do you know what's missing from Genesis 2 that is in Genesis 1? The phrase, "And there was evening and there was morning, one day." (NASB). Could you tell me where in Genesis 2 we're given any indication that the account is to be taken in chronological order according to verse? Chronological order according to verse is quite apparent in Genesis 1... But I'm having a hard time seeing it in Genesis 2; maybe the second chapter is a summary of the first?

Comment

Originally posted by xel naga
                            Could you tell me where in Genesis 2 we're given any indication that the account is to be taken in chronological order according to verse?
                            It's really just a matter of accepting what is right before one's eyes.

Gen 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. Gen 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. Gen 2:18 And the LORD God said, [It is] not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. Gen 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought [them] unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that [was] the name thereof. Gen 2:20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him. Gen 2:21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; Gen 2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. Gen 2:23 And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

So here is the chronological order, as any unbiased reader can see:

1.God places Adam in the garden.
                            2.God gives Adam commands.
                            3.God sees Adam is alone.
                            4.God creates the animals and brings them to Adam.
                            5.Adam names the animals.
                            6.God sees Adam still has not the ideal companionship.
                            7.God puts Adam to sleep and removes one of his ribs and makes Eve out of the rib.

Comment

There should be a new thread for the Genesis 1 and 2 discussion.

The earth is the center of the universe, everything was created for man.
                              The sun, moon and stars were created on day 4 for man to mark the seasons.
                              On day one there was only an empty universe, a lone planet and light, getting us
                              to realize man is the center of the universe, the focal point, when God is
                              finished working with man the entire universe shall be rolled up like a scroll and
                              all the elements will melt, no more physical universe it all disappears and
                              God's people live with Him in a new creation and the wicked go off to a new
                              creation as well for all of eternity, away from the presence of God.

The use of the phrase in the beginning dates the world for me. Jesus reminds us
                              that Adam and Eve were created in the beginning, in that 6 day period Moses
                              wrote about.

Jn.5:46,47 For if you believed Moses , you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me.
                              But if you do not believe his writings how will you believe My words.

RJ

Comment

Working...
                              X