Question from raising Lazarus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question from raising Lazarus

When Jesus was going to raise Lazarus from the the dead, in John 11:16 when Thomas said " Let us also go, that we may die with him." Does anybody know what he meant by this? I don't get this verse. Thank you.

Jesus had already gotten people upset in the region where Lazarus lived, so when Jesus said that He was going back to that region, Thomas expected Jesus to be killed.
    To This Day

Comment

Originally posted by buffalo1d View Post
      When Jesus was going to raise Lazarus from the the dead, in John 11:16 when Thomas said " Let us also go, that we may die with him." Does anybody know what he meant by this? I don't get this verse. Thank you.
      I'm no biblical scholar or anything and I've never examined this exact verse like this before, so I'm not the greatest source, but I'll tell you what I think it might mean. Thomas doesn't know that Jesus is going to bring Lazarus back to life, but he does know that Jesus loved him and cared a lot for him, so he thinks Jesus is going to mourn Lazarus' death and Thomas is saying "Let us go with Jesus so that we can mourn ("die") with him".

Edit:
      Originally posted by markedward View Post
      Jesus had already gotten people upset in the region where Lazarus lived, so when Jesus said that He was going back to that region, Thomas expected Jesus to be killed.
      This sounds like a logical theory too, I think I might've been thinking too deeply with this, I'm not sure now.

Comment

thank you for the answers.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalo1d View Post
          thank you for the answers.
          Sure thing, I'm glad to be able to help.

Comment

I donít think it has any significance Ė except that (perhaps, Thomas was trying to sound noble, but) the disciples really didnít understand what was going on.

Jesus had already spoken figuratively about Lazarus being asleep.
            Then He had to tell them plainly that Lazarus was actually dead.

This He said, and after that He *said to them, "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I go, so that I may awaken him out of sleep."
            The disciples then said to Him, "Lord, if he has fallen asleep, he will recover."
            Now Jesus had spoken of his death, but they thought that He was speaking of literal sleep.
            So Jesus then said to them plainly, "Lazarus is dead,
            John 11:11-14

Comment

Working...
            X