Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the act of smoking a cigarrette a sin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the act of smoking a cigarrette a sin?

I know Paul said not to be mastered by anything so being mastered by ciggarettes or listening to music or watching tv are all sin

i know smoking ciggarrettes can cause one to want to smoke more and more and be hooked.

However just because doing something makes us want to do it more, does that mean it is sin?

if i eat a piece of cake that is so good, i want to eat some all day, is eating the cake a sin?

I know there is a scripture that says honor God in your bodies or something

but how do we connect that to smoking a ciggarette?

if we simply say, it doesn't honor God in your body

then shouldnt we all repent from eating cake? cake is bad for you isn't it?

We shouldnt drink energy drinks either under this

im just trying to figure out to what extent to we bring the "honor God in your body command?

Those are excellent points.

It is not what goes into a man's mouth, but what comes out. (Something to that effect).

I believe that it is sin for those who are unsaved those who are saved cannot sin, so it would not be.

Yuke

Comment

Whatsoever Is Not Of Faith Is Sin

Rom.14:23 tells us that anything we do outside of faith is sin.

You did bring up some great points!

Do we break our state laws by running a stop sign or red light? Would we go to hell by doing so?

The Word says to love our neighbor as ourself. How many of us christians truly love our neighbors enough to give them our home, our car, our money, yes, even our life? I've never loved my neighbor that much...

So to smoke, eat, or anything else we do that is not done in faith is sin. God knows we're flesh and made of the dust of the earth. That's why we need to constantly ask His guidance in all we do as we daily read our KJV Bible and pray.

Thanks for your prayers and God bless you christians.

Sam
      Jesus saith unto him, I AM THE WAY, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. ( John 14:6 )

For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and "if it first begin at us," what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? ( 1Pet 4:17,18 ) (Pray for Revival)

Comment

I know that some orthodox Jews who will step out of a synagogue and have a 'goy' light their cigarette on Shabbat (to keep from lighting a flame and sinning).

I think that's about as sinful as eating a camel.
        Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Dude, I am new in Christ, and I am still smoking. Is smoking a sin. In my opinion yes it is. The Holy Spirit is living inside of me, and is God's temple, and you know what I am making the Holy Spirit stay in my heart............I dont think He likes it very much, but because He loves me, He will be patient with me. I know I have to stop. I have been conficted in my heart. As a smoker I feel that smoking is a sin............ and so are many others like your cake eating for instance
          Saved by Grace!

Praying for Mieke and Charles
          Cor 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation ; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

My testimony
          http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=149096

Comment

Originally posted by MercyChild View Post
            Dude, I am new in Christ, and I am still smoking. Is smoking a sin. In my opinion yes it is. The Holy Spirit is living inside of me, and is God's temple, and you know what I am making the Holy Spirit stay in my heart............I dont think He likes it very much, but because He loves me, He will be patient with me. I know I have to stop. I have been conficted in my heart. As a smoker I feel that smoking is a sin............ and so are many others like your cake eating for instance
            Good points but lets define this a little more. The sin is found in the addiction. The addiction is an idol because you depend more on it than God. But smoking is not the sin or over eating or drinking. The sin is the dependence on something other than our Lord who has already made a way out. Makes sense?
            Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Thank you for sharing. I do honor your conviction and if you feel led to stop smoking i pray God gives you the grace to do just that.

This is similar to drinking wine in my opinion. Drinking wine is not a sin. However if you are a new believer who was a drunkard, it may be best that you refrain from all drinking

I am not here to say whose right or whose wrong

I would just like to discuss what the Bible says about smoking.

I know there can be some situations were smoking would be a sin, like smoking in a no smoking zone, smoking in a room full of little children.

But i would just like to know that if i am not controlled by ciggaretes, is it a sin for me to occasionally have one outback while getting some fresh air?

i know we all have our personal convictions, and i honor and respect all o those, but i would like to look at what the bible specifically says about this issue

Comment

Originally posted by amazzin View Post
                Good points but lets define this a little more. The sin is found in the addiction. The addiction is an idol because you depend more on it than God. But smoking is not the sin or over eating or drinking. The sin is the dependence on something other than our Lord who has already made a way out. Makes sense?
                Sure do, and I understand now why I am uncomfortable with smoking. Thanks for the explanation
                Saved by Grace!

Praying for Mieke and Charles
                Cor 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation ; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

My testimony
                http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=149096

Comment

lets define this a little more.
                  Let's define it even further.

Sin is transgression of the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukerboy View Post
                    Let's define it even further.

Sin is transgression of the law.
                    do you believe smoking a ciggarette is transgresion of the law?

I agree with the statement of dependence on anything besides God.

Why we would smoke a ciggaratte may be where the issue is.

Why would we do it?

But also i still would like someone to present scripture that can help us out with this issue

Comment

The only thing stopping you from stopping is yourself. It's all in your mind. I understand that many use the excuse that nicotine is addictive. When I was younger I smoked a pack or more a day for many years, yet I was able to stop just like that. If nicotine addiction were true, then I would have been addicted like anyone else and would have found it a struggle to quit. I never struggled with quitting. I just quit. This is why I'm convinced it's all in the mind.

I discussed this on another thread. Apparently some thought I was looking to be congratulated or something. I wasn't looking to be congratulated, I was just trying to make a point. If someone wants to quit doing something, all one has to do is to quit doing it. That takes the struggle out of it.

As far as whether smoking is a sin or not, personally I'm not going to make that judgment call. There are many things that are not good for us, yet many of us do it all the time, such as eating at McDonald's, etc.

Comment

If you are convicted it's sinful, then it is. I don't know what your beliefs are, but God gave instructions to man what is healthy (what is food) and what is not healty (what is not food). Most people call these 'food laws.' but to me I just trust God that animals in the category of garbage / carcass eaters are unhealty, God designed them, so He should know.

That said, I define the issue as I define ALL of God's instructions:

Choose life.

God gave us intructions how to live healthy, mentally, spiritually and physically. God didn't throw Adam out in the wilderness and let him figure out all this stuff on his own. Adam had all the instructions God gave through Moses, albiet not written down. The story about Noah shows some allusion to that when God had him take 7 pairs of 'clean' animals to 2 pairs of 'unclean' animals. Clean animals are used as food and sacrifice.

I suppose smoking can fit into the category of "You shall not put the LORD your God to the test." Maybe that's why you feel convicted.
                        Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Comment

Originally posted by reformedct View Post
                          do you believe smoking a ciggarette is transgresion of the law?

I agree with the statement of dependence on anything besides God.

Why we would smoke a ciggaratte may be where the issue is.

Why would we do it?

But also i still would like someone to present scripture that can help us out with this issue
                          I do not believe smoking a cigarette transgresses the law.

But then, I don't believe anything one who is born again does transgresses the law. I seem to stand alone on that, but I digress.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukerboy View Post
                            I do not believe smoking a cigarette transgresses the law.

But then, I don't believe anything one who is born again does transgresses the law. I seem to stand alone on that, but I digress.
                            Don't think you're standing alone, or with any one of us. Seek to stand with God. If this is truely where God has you in your walk, (and not some preacher), then stand on it. God has something awesome for you and He'll reveal it to you, and it will be between just Him and you. And you will count it as a blessing.

shalom.

Comment

Originally posted by keck553 View Post
                              Don't think you're standing alone, or with any one of us. Seek to stand with God. If this is truely where God has you in your walk, (not some preacher), then stand on it. God has something awesome for you and He'll reveal it to you, and it will be between just Him and you. And you will count it as a blessing.

shalom.
                              Thank you for the kind words. Very much appreciated.

I have yet to find a pastor that teaches something like this which leaves doubt in my mind, yet I feel the Scriptures are stating it more clearly to me now than ever.

Sadly, being convinced of what I believe is what I seek. That's a big reason why I come here. I have been on almost all sides of every debate in the last two years, making me look like a hypocrite more than anything, but so I consider my beliefs being changed over time as being refined by fire.

Sorry to derail the topic for this short time, back to topic.

Yuke

Comment

Working...
                              X