Getting kicked out of Church?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting kicked out of Church?

If a person believes in the Trinity and Jesus as God's only begotten, born of a virgin, crucified, buried, resurrected and coming again what other beliefs about God do you think would constitute a person being kicked out of fellowship with other believers?

If they believe that God doesn't care how they act outside of church...
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Comment

That's half of the youth group right there.
      To This Day

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Missionary View Post
        How would you know that? Would it change the fact that they are Christians? What actions would determine whether or not you kicked them out?

Comment

Originally posted by markedward View Post
          That's half of the youth group right there.
          and half the congregation.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Missionary View Post
            You might say the most in the least amount of words on this board. Maybe Emanate...but it's close.

Very true in your comment. We have not only all heard the sermons, but seen with our own eyes those who are all holy on Sunday, and live like hell the rest of the week. But that then brings into question whether or not they really believe any of he premise of Mike's post? If you SAY you love God...but your life denies it...does what come out of your mouth matter or even reflect what is REALLY in your heart?

As a side note Mike...I was asked to leave my first church after a year for asking too many questions. At first they answered willingly, later grudgingly, but when the questions turned to questioning "once saved always saved," I was asked not to come back. It wasn't even that I didn't believe it, I just saw some scripture that caused me to question it. That was a hard pill to swallow and one that took years to get over.

Peace.
            Ken

Comment

Paul addressed church discipline.
              I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
              - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by mikebr View Post
                How would you know that? Would it change the fact that they are Christians? What actions would determine whether or not you kicked them out?
                My opinion....willfull and continues sin. When we willingly and continually live in sin despite what comes out of the mouth, you bring others down. Of course, there is a way to deal with it. Go to them first, then rebuke before all...then, if no change, you may have no choice.

We DO have to try to work with them thought. When it gets to the point of kicking somebody out, you are risking them EVER finding their way in Messiah. It has to be done with great care and love...and patience.

peace.
                Ken

Comment

and half the congregation.
                  Should that change what the Scriptures instruct just because a majority of the congregation would be gone because of it?

Perhaps the reason a good portion of churches today are about as effective at ministering to the lost as the Oprah Winfrey Show is because a good portion of the "congregation" are about as lost as the folks Oprah is preaching her nonsense to.
                  "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by kenrank View Post
                    My opinion....willfull and continues sin. When we willingly and continually live in sin despite what comes out of the mouth, you bring others down. Of course, there is a way to deal with it. Go to them first, then rebuke before all...then, if no change, you may have no choice.

We DO have to try to work with them thought. When it gets to the point of kicking somebody out, you are risking them EVER finding their way in Messiah. It has to be done with great care and love...and patience.

peace.
                    Ken

Thanks for your comments, but it seems that for the most part, (your comment about asking about OSAS is an exception) most of you have talked about actions. I'm talking about beliefs.

Say the person is a good upstanding, involved at church, don't drink, smoke, cheat on his wife, good to his kids, etc.; what BELIEFS would they have that would cause you not to fellowship with them?

Comment

My husband and I attended a church for several years. We were asked to officially join the church. I had to tell them I did not believe in predestination in the same manner they believed and taught it. Not only was I told I could not join the church, I was asked to not openly question their theology. From that point on, I was treated differently even though my beliefs had not changed in the slightest.
                      I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
                      - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

what other beliefs about God do you think would constitute a person being kicked out of fellowship with other believers?
                        Say the person is a good upstanding, involved at church, don't drink, smoke, cheat on his wife, good to his kids, etc.; what BELIEFS would they have that would cause you not to fellowship with them?
                        Do you have a particular example? There may be some things regarding sovereignty that might disqualify one from teaching, but I don't know about disfellowship.

I hope this is hypothetical.

God Bless!
                        Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

Originally posted by watchinginawe View Post
                          Do you have a particular example? There may be some things regarding sovereignty that might disqualify one from teaching, but I don't know about disfellowship.

I hope this is hypothetical.

God Bless!
                          No I was asking for examples.

Comment

If a person believes in the Trinity and Jesus as God's only begotten, born of a virgin, crucified, buried, resurrected and coming again what other beliefs about God do you think would constitute a person being kicked out of fellowship with other believers?
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------

Mike I have been or 'put out' because of teaching what God's Word says verses what 'this' church's 'theology' or belief system said....I won't go into detail but I was teaching Sunday School and it had to do with Christ's body being 'divided'.. they believing the 'body' was divided up according to man made religious views.. versus what Paul declares... I'm not sure if being 'put out' or 'being kicked out' would be the same thing.. These people just didn't want anything to do with me anymore.... When I would testify in that church there was always a few that had been there a very long time.. stand up and tell the crowd that they had never done what I had done but that they were a Chrisitian and they had been Christians their 'whole' life....... and wanted everybody to 'know' it.. It was almost like an 'heir' of jealousy would come over them.. Today I can just chuckle abou the whole situation and I've moved forward from it..... It was an interesting time and I learned immensely from it.. this quite suprisingly was a Pentecostal .. what they call a mainline denomination.
                            Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
                            ------------------------------------------------
                            Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
                            ------------------------------------------------
                            The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
                            Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

I'm talking about beliefs.
                              They can't put you out for believing. Nobody believes the same thing at the same time.
                              If their that good, then why do they need the church. Jesus said He came to save sinners, not righteous people.
                              I really hate when people think they are better than others. I would rather be in a poor church that only ministers to sinners. Pride of self righteous people is very sickening.

When I'm not in church, I'm not standing somewhere showing what a great Christian I am. I am visiting or bringing food to people that other people wouldn't give the time of day. Been doing it since before I was called a Christian and I plan on continuing to do it till I die.

Such thinking reminds me of a little book someone wrote about mother Theresa. They wrote how all sorts of "Christians" came from all over the world to help her in her ministry and found that they could not bear the wretched souls she ministered to.

What a person believes is between them and God. God calls sinners to repentance, that's all. So irregardless of what anyone thinks of another is irrelevant to that fact. Either we have faith that God is able or we don't.

I don't see anywhere in scripture where it says that people are to judge others beliefs. Only God can do such a thing.

In Peace,
                              Eve

Comment

Working...
                              X