Salvation of OT saints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salvation of OT saints

I really have a hard time understanding how this works. Sorry if there is already a thread about it.

We know salvation is under no other name other than Jesus

The OT saints didnt know that name, but obviously some were saved, as we see moses and elijah appearing before Jesus during the transfiguration. So Moses is in some sense alive today wherever he is

Can someone please try to explain this in as simple a way as possible?

Originally posted by reformedct View Post
    I really have a hard time understanding how this works. Sorry if there is already a thread about it.

The OT saints didnt know that name, but obviously some were saved, as we see moses and elijah appearing before Jesus during the transfiguration. So Moses is in some sense alive today wherever he is

Can someone please try to explain this in as simple a way as possible?
    God predistined his salvific grace through Christ to save both Moses and Elijah...as well as the other OT saints.

Comment

i think Jesus said that Abraham saw His day and rejoiced(refferring to the time when Christ would come)

Our God is truly amazing how He works evrything out is pretty awesome

i wonder how Abraham saw Jesus's day and rejoiced?

Comment

i think Jesus said that Abraham saw His day and rejoiced(refferring to the time when Christ would come)

Our God is truly amazing how He works evrything out is pretty awesome

i wonder how Abraham saw Jesus's day and rejoiced?
        By walking with God throughout his life. The bible doesn't say specifically how God revealed it to him though.

Comment

It’s truly amazing...

Can someone please try to explain this in as simple a way as possible

…Salvation was offered all those millennia before Christ went to the cross, and now is offered millennia afterwards.
          Last edited by Silent Wings; Dec 18th 2008, 11:48 PM. Reason: Poor spelling, poor grammar and spiritually lacking

Comment

But how was that salvation offered?

Comment

Originally posted by HisLeast View Post
              Through God..as he is the only savior of men.(Isaiah 43:11-13)

Comment

How could the blood of Christ be efficacious for salvation thousands of years before He went to the cross? The same way the blood of Christ is efficacious for salvation thousands of years after.

Could the efficacy of His awesome sacrifice possibly be constrained by time? I say no, how about you?

Comment

My RCIA instructor stated that Jesus is shown in some churches reaching into the underworld and pulling Adam, Moses, Abraham and all them up into heaven. However I cannot come to terms with the idea of these old testament saints stuck in an underworld for the following reasons: 1. The OT states One of these saints was brought to the heavens on a firey chariot and the OT also says that ENoch was favored and walked with God. 2. This underworld as opposed to heaven would not merit a reward for those God found favor with, would Noah go to the same place as Cain? 3. Most Jews I know state that their belief is a heaven and that the spirits closest to God shine brighter than those who are not. 4. A belief in an underworld where both good and bad would go would validate the Greek mythology of Hades and his underworld.

However at the same time it is said that Jesus opens the gates to heaven.

I guess the best way to describe this is that death and spiritual life transcend the definitions of time, therefore Jesus was always there as shown from the begining of Gospel according to John. It is also evident throughout OT if you look for it. Therefore when Noah, Abraham etc died Jesus was there to open the gates of heaven as he always was because God and heaven transcend time as we know it.

Thouh I've never been to heaven so I can't say this is true or not but based on my limited knowledge of the bible it seems to hint in this direction.

Comment

There is only one Name, by which men may be saved....

Some had faith that "The Lord shall provide a sacrifice"

(Gen 22:8)

Others have faith that the Lord has sent a sacrifice.

(1 John 2:2)

There is only one way anyone has ever been, or ever can be saved.

(John 14:6) (also take a look at REV 13:8, if you doubt there is a difference)

Salvation is a past event (the cross), a present event, and most of all a future event at the judgment.

It is simple if you do not place the worlds divisions into scripture.

Blessings,
                    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
                    ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
                    ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Wings View Post
                      Could the efficacy of His awesome sacrifice possibly be constrained by time? I say no, how about you?
                      I have no idea what this means.

Comment

I have no idea what this means.
                        I think it means could his sacrifice be constraint by human time? My thought would be no, sense God's grace was available before the coming of Christ.
                        Last edited by Friend of I AM; Dec 19th 2008, 01:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Friend of I AM View Post
                          I think it means could his sacrifice be constraint by human time? My thought would be no, sense God's grace was available before the coming of Christ.
                          Well, no... (at least I don't think so). But how would the Old Testament saints have known that?

Comment

Well, no... (at least I don't think so). But how would the Old Testament saints have known that?
                            God told them about the Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Wings View Post
                              How could the blood of Christ be efficacious for salvation thousands of years before He went to the cross? The same way the blood of Christ is efficacious for salvation thousands of years after.

it is my personal belief that the sacrifice of Jesus blood has eternal effects. What Jesus did is not contained by time in the way we concieve it, but it was a once and for all sacrifice that was efficient for eternity. When we go to heaven, the effects of Jesus sacrifice will still be in action. did that make sense?

Comment

Working...
                              X