Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interpreting contradictions

here is a good question

how do we reconcile scriptures that seem to contradict themselves?

like this: it is appointed once for every man to die
    people say, 10 out of 10 people die

not quite! lol enoch never died right? he was caught up with the Lord

so its more like 9.999999/10 people die haha

but seriously, doesnt this mean that sometimes scripture says something but it doesn't mean exactly what it says at face value?

so when there are scriptures like 1 john that say: anyone who commits sin is not born of God

how can we know if that is exactly what it means at face value?

im not here to argue one theology over another just simply asking what is the standard of translating conflicting scriptures

like obviously james says we are justified by faith and works. but even though the bible clearly says that, we know that is not exactly what it means at face value. We know we are justified by faith not works. But im asking how come we let justification by faith alone ovverride justification by works and faith? the bible says both

so why not interpret paul through the lens of james instead of James through the lens of Paul? why don't we proclaim to people, you are justified by faith and works

i hope this isnt too confusing. Just trying to figure out how we go about letting one scripture interpret another

for example: those whom he justified he glorified

but there are also many warning signs about falling away. So how do we dtermine which scripture should interpret the other?

like how do we say ok, god glorifies whom he justifies, and interpret scripture by that view, or say, ok, God warns that people will fall away, so i will interpret scripture throught that lens?

Some would say that Enoch and Elijah both will return as the two witnesses in that last days. There they will fulfill Scripture and their flesh will indeed die. Case can be made for it so that should fix that "contradiction."

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
      Some would say that Enoch and Elijah both will return as the two witnesses in that last days. There they will fulfill Scripture and their flesh will indeed die. Case can be made for it so that should fix that "contradiction."
      could you imagine how amazing that would be? to actually see the real moses and elijah of scripture? i hope its tru and i hope i get to be here to see it that would be craaaazy haha gotta get my camera ready but then again i might be raptured dang it haha(btw im not sure about pre trib or post trib my position is lets just wait and find out trib haha)

Comment

Originally posted by reformedct View Post
        could you imagine how amazing that would be? to actually see the real moses and elijah of scripture? i hope its tru and i hope i get to be here to see it that would be craaaazy haha gotta get my camera ready but then again i might be raptured dang it haha(btw im not sure about pre trib or post trib my position is lets just wait and find out trib haha)
        That's called "Pan-Trib" in that everything is going to pan out in the end just as God wants it to pan out. That's what I believe as well.

Visit our new website
        ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
        "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

There is more or less a 'scientifically acceptable' method of interpreting and understanding Scripture, one whose set of rules we can all agree to adhere to.

It is called Biblical hermeneutics.

There is another system: it is called Biblical revelation.

Hermeneutics works well until God decides to get in on a discussion Personally. Then somehow everything that we thought we knew up to that point vanishes away like the last dome of snow in the bright warm sun of an early spring.

Comment

I agree. This definately would fix this contradiction. But what about this one?

1 Thessalonians 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

How do these folks die if they're still alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord? Wouldn't they then put on immortality? Immortality wouldn't be death. The question still is, when do or did they ever die a physical death, if it's appointed unto men once to die, and that this is speaking of physical death for every single man?

Comment

Originally posted by divaD View Post

1 Thessalonians 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

How do these folks die if they're still alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord? Wouldn't they then put on immortality? Immortality wouldn't be death. The question still is, when do or did they ever die a physical death, if it's appointed unto men once to die, and that this is speaking of physical death for every single man?

yes and also what about all who are alive when christ return? remember it says the dead in christ will be raised and then WE will be caught up or something. So aren't those people who are saved and alive at Christ return always alive??? i hope thats me i dont wanna die haha

Comment

They are excluded.

That's the thing... one verse doesn't a doctrine make. That's what makes a lot of Christian folk look goofy to those outside who happen to know some about the Scripture. With the rise of the WWW... it has gotten worse because there are tons of sites out there dedicated to making Christianity look foolish. Our lack of understanding Scripture and even trying to make excuses for God... tends to help them out.

Visit our new website

A.W. Tozer said,

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

There is an even better way. Forget the seminary teaching and be guided by the Spirit. Better than even scientific reasoning.

Visit our new website

A.W. Tozer said,

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

There is an even better way. Forget the seminary teaching and be guided by the Spirit. Better than even scientific reasoning.

I'll second that! If we want truth - go to Who knows it best.
                    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
                    Not second or third, but first.
                    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
                    when He is the source of all hope,
                    when His love is received and freely given,
                    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
                    will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

1 Corinthians 15

50 ¶Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.
                      51 Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed,

Not all will sleep, but all will be changed. If this body is perishable and we are to become imperishable then this perishable body as we know it will die and it will become a new creation that is imperishable. This flesh and blood can not enter the kingdom of God so everyone will die one way or another.
                      I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
                      Have you laid your burdens down?

Comment

Originally posted by TrustingFollower View Post
                        1 Corinthians 15

50 ¶Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.
                        51 Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed,

Not all will sleep, but all will be changed. If this body is perishable and we are to become imperishable then this perishable body as we know it will die and it will become a new creation that is imperishable. This flesh and blood can not enter the kingdom of God so everyone will die one way or another.

Since you put it like that, I have no choice but to agree with your conclusions. What you're saying is basically this. Even tho alive when Christ returns, that body would have to perish in order for it to be changed, since that body, like it is, can't inherit eternal life. Even if this isn't what you're saying, it makes perfect sense to me. It looks like another contradiction is solved.

Comment

They are excluded.

That's the thing... one verse doesn't a doctrine make. That's what makes a lot of Christian folk look goofy to those outside who happen to know some about the Scripture. With the rise of the WWW... it has gotten worse because there are tons of sites out there dedicated to making Christianity look foolish. Our lack of understanding Scripture and even trying to make excuses for God... tends to help them out.
                          i would have to disagree just slightly with this statement. Yes, we cannot just take a few verses and say BAM! this is THE CORRECT doctrine for everyone! lol

but all scripture is doctrine. for example jesus is the only way. thats dogma right there. thats doctrine. the problem is we all tend to have different views of what correct interpretation of that doctrine is.

even your statement of one verse doesn't make a doctrine is in and of itself your personal doctrine. your doctrine is that one verse doesn't make doctrine. but there are some one-liners that are doctrine

God created the heavens and the earth= doctrine

you must be born again= doctrine

Before abraham, "I AM"= doctrine (Jesus is God)

so you see it is indeed possible for one or two lines to constitute doctrine

because every jot and tittle of the Word of God is doctrine

the errors are in interpretation

Comment

Since you put it like that, I have no choice but to agree with your conclusions. What you're saying is basically this. Even tho alive when Christ returns, that body would have to perish in order for it to be changed, since that body, like it is, can't inherit eternal life. Even if this isn't what you're saying, it makes perfect sense to me. It looks like another contradiction is solved.
                            What you have said here is right on with the way I see things.
                            I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
                            Have you laid your burdens down?

Comment

Originally posted by reformedct View Post
                              i would have to disagree just slightly with this statement. Yes, we cannot just take a few verses and say BAM! this is THE CORRECT doctrine for everyone! lol

but all scripture is doctrine. for example jesus is the only way. thats dogma right there. thats doctrine. the problem is we all tend to have different views of what correct interpretation of that doctrine is.

even your statement of one verse doesn't make a doctrine is in and of itself your personal doctrine. your doctrine is that one verse doesn't make doctrine. but there are some one-liners that are doctrine

God created the heavens and the earth= doctrine

you must be born again= doctrine

Before abraham, "I AM"= doctrine (Jesus is God)

so you see it is indeed possible for one or two lines to constitute doctrine

because every jot and tittle of the Word of God is doctrine

the errors are in interpretation
                              Actually... everything you mentioned is all throughout Scripture. So there is much more than one verse on those things. Don't make the "concordance study" mistake. Folks do it all the time.

Example... folks look for the word endure and it's there a few times. They then conclude that it is only mentioned a few times in a few places therefore not very important. What they miss... stand firm, hold fast, steadfast, etc. All meaning the same thing.

Visit our new website

A.W. Tozer said,

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Working...
                              X