Peter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Peter

Just what did Jesus mean? when he said Upon this rock I shall build my church Lots of Love James

He was speaking of the rock of faith and the rock of which He is the cornerstone. Peter believed that He was the Christ -many overlook that he confessed it 3 times. That is faith.
    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
    Not second or third, but first.
    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
    when He is the source of all hope,
    when His love is received and freely given,
    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
    will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

I aint buying it brother Read Matt 16: 17 18 19

read this and tell me if you still feel the same and who he was ,was revealed to him (Peter)And now read acts It seems to me Peter lead the church

Comment

Originally posted by neverleaveunorfors View Post
        read this and tell me if you still feel the same and who he was ,was revealed to him (Peter)And now read acts It seems to me Peter lead the church
        Basically Peter was an Apostle to the Jews and Paul was an Apostle to the Gentiles. They weren't playing the one upmanship game. The Gospel was supreme and even at one point Peter dropped the ball and was rebuked by Paul. In Acts 15 when the Church came together as a council we seen that James was a leader.

And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.
        (Gal 2:9)

But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?
        (Gal 2:14)

And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:
        (Act 15:13)
        ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Comment

hmmmmmmmm

Thanks for your comment > but back to Matt was it not Peter that recieved the keys ? So what did Jesus mean When he said upon this rock I shall build my church ?

Comment

Thanks for your comment > but back to Matt was it not Peter that recieved the keys ? So what did Jesus mean When he said upon this rock I shall build my church ?
            Jesus was referring to the faith demonstrated by Peter and that faith is the rock that the church is built upon.
            I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
            Have you laid your burdens down?

Comment

Question #1 - No. Christ holds the keys to the kingdom. This thinking removes Christ from salvation, and makes the key to salvation Peter.

Question #2 - As I've said, and as TF has said - it was the FAITH Peter had that was the rock. Not Peter himself. Peter was named for his faith, and it's something that we call can have in the same measure - and greater - than Peter had.

Comment

Jesus was making a play on words here. "You are Petros (small stone), and upon this petra (large rock, cliff) I will build my church." The large rock is Christ. Peter perceived the truth because in this instance, he spoke as a little rock.
                Phl 4:11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

Comment

of course Christ is the stumbling stone put before the Jews

And his body is the church or I should say the Body of Christ is the church and I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven ( not the keys of hades and of death rev.1;18 ) ( and here they are )what ever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven and what ever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven .Ok so we know Christ already had this but now he just gave it to who? ok now john 20;21 -23 read it and now do you still believe Peter was not given the keys and maybe not an actual key but knowledge of heaven

Comment

And his body is the church or I should say the Body of Christ is the church and I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven ( not the keys of hades and of death rev.1;18 ) ( and here they are )what ever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven and what ever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven .Ok so we know Christ already had this but now he just gave it to who? ok now john 20;21 -23 read it and now do you still believe Peter was not given the keys and maybe not an actual key but knowledge of heaven
                    NO NO NO NO, Jesus gave it to as many that believes in his name, Jesus was talking about the power of prayer.

Look at it again in chapter 18, Binding and loosing is a whole different thing. When Jesus was talking about this rock, He was saying the revelation of Himself, For He is the Rock of Ages, He is that ROCK.

Matthew 18:18-20 - "Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

Here, Jesus was talking about the power of prayer. and in verse 20, He refers to himself(the Rock) , He will be in their midst (REVELATION OF HIMSELF TO THEM)

THE KEY IS PRAYER, AND ITS FOR BINDING AND LOOSING!
                    We are his body, We are his representative, We are the extension of God to the earth. Every action should be a extension of God's love.

Comment

he was teaching and at the time scripture was closed to the dicipiles even untill past death how many times did he tell them of his death and still did not understand untill he opened the scriptures to them after reserction so .........................................

Comment

he was teaching and at the time scripture was closed to the dicipiles even untill past death how many times did he tell them of his death and still did not understand untill he opened the scriptures to them after reserction so .........................................
                        How does this contribute to this topic?
                        We are his body, We are his representative, We are the extension of God to the earth. Every action should be a extension of God's love.

Comment

They did understand fully, once the Spirit could reveal it to them. That is the same way we come to understanding now - through scripture by the Spirit. It's the correct understanding that matters, not what was misunderstood or not known at one time. The truth did come to light when it was needed and necessary. That is what matters.

Comment

it applies to your comment

how can you twist just what he said to peter

Comment

How is it twisting?

What you said has truth to it, but just because they didn't understand it right away doesn't make the truth of what that passage means any different.

Comment

Working...
                              X