No announcement yet.

Therefore Let Thy Words Be Few!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Therefore Let Thy Words Be Few!!!!!

According to the following scriptures concerning prayer, we are we are taught that when we pray we should "Therefore Let Thy Words Be Few"

Eccles 5:2 Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart Be hasty to utter any thing Before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words Be few.

Mt 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

In contrast to what it says concerning long prayer;

Mt 23:14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

Mk 12:40 Which devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayers: these shall receive greater damnation.

Lk 20:47 Which devour widows' houses, and for a shew make long prayers: the same shall receive greater damnation.

Do we still apply "Therefore Let Thy Words Be Few" when we pray?

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Originally posted by Firstfruits View Post
    According to the following scriptures concerning prayer, we are we are taught that when we pray we should "Therefore Let Thy Words Be Few"

Eccles 5:2 Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart Be hasty to utter any thing Before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words Be few.

Mt 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Mt 23:14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

Mk 12:40 Which devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayers: these shall receive greater damnation.

Lk 20:47 Which devour widows' houses, and for a shew make long prayers: the same shall receive greater damnation.

God bless you!

Firstfruits
    Yes. May I decreast that you should increase. Amen

Comment

HI FF,

Your post gave me thought to some questions.

How do we pray always with few words and not have it vain repetition?

Is your focus about personal prayer or corporate prayer. Both?

Peace,
      Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Walstib View Post
        HI FF,

Your post gave me thought to some questions.

How do we pray always with few words and not have it vain repetition?

Is your focus about personal prayer or corporate prayer. Both?

Peace,
        Joe
        It says when you utter/say anything to God, it makes no differences.

Gods position does not change from prayer to prayer, God is still in Heaven and we are still upon earth.

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Comment

Originally posted by mikebr View Post
          Yes. May I decreast that you should increase. Amen
          Thanks Mikebr,

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Comment

Gods position does not change from prayer to prayer, God is still in Heaven and we are still upon earth.

God bless you!

Firstfruits
            Ecclesiastes is a difficult book to build a doctrine upon. Moses changed God's mind through prayer concerning Israel.

Jesus himself gave an example of a woman before an unjust judge.

Yet, we would all benefit during prayer if we said less and listened more.
            Matt 9:13
            13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
            NASU

Comment

What if I speak in my thought life without using my mouth or words? Does this single verse then not apply?

The whole passage to me speaks more about making promises and oaths before God. Would you be willing to discuss that possibility. Or am I just going beyond what is written... you can tell me straight up, I have big shoulders.

But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: (Mat 5:34 KJV)

When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it; for he hath no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed. Better is it that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest vow and not pay. Suffer not thy mouth to cause thy flesh to sin; neither say thou before the angel, that it was an error: wherefore should God be angry at thy voice, and destroy the work of thine hands? (Ecc 5:4-6 KJV)

Night and day praying exceedingly that we might see your face, and might perfect that which is lacking in your faith?(1Th 3:10 KJV)

Peace,
              Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Walstib View Post
                What if I speak in my thought life without using my mouth or words? Does this single verse then not apply?

The whole passage to me speaks more about making promises and oaths before God. Would you be willing to discuss that possibility. Or am I just going beyond what is written... you can tell me straight up, I have big shoulders.

But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: (Mat 5:34 KJV)

When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it; for he hath no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed. Better is it that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest vow and not pay. Suffer not thy mouth to cause thy flesh to sin; neither say thou before the angel, that it was an error: wherefore should God be angry at thy voice, and destroy the work of thine hands? (Ecc 5:4-6 KJV)

Night and day praying exceedingly that we might see your face, and might perfect that which is lacking in your faith?(1Th 3:10 KJV)

Peace,
                Joe
                However Jesus taught the Disciples to pray confirming that which was already written;

Has what Christ taught changed, concerning prayer?

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Comment

God bless you!

Firstfruits

My brother this is more powerful and in-depth than i think you guys can handle, its much much deeper than what you guys think.

Much much deeper. My brother, if i start opening my mouth i wont finish. and you also need to be in the spirit to understand it. Much much deeper, so great is true prayer.

True prayer has been misunderstood by most christians.

Look, When Jesus prayed at Gethsemane, He prayed one sentence and it lasted him more than a hour. One sentence my brothers. Jesus would pray from afternoon to night. from morning to evening.
                  We are his body, We are his representative, We are the extension of God to the earth. Every action should be a extension of God's love.

Comment

Originally posted by Bladers View Post
                    My brother this is more powerful and in-depth than i think you guys can handle, its much much deeper than what you guys think.

Much much deeper. My brother, if i start opening my mouth i wont finish. and you also need to be in the spirit to understand it. Much much deeper, so great is true prayer.

True prayer has been misunderstood by most christians.

Look, When Jesus prayed at Gethsemane, He prayed one sentence and it lasted him more than a hour. One sentence my brothers. Jesus would pray from afternoon to night. from morning to evening.
                    You could also compare it to the example Christ gave the disciles "The Lords Prayer" It was short but very meaningful.

Thanks for your imput.

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Comment

A word to the Wise!!!!

A word to the wise!!

Prov 17:27 He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit.

Prov 17:28 Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

"Therefore let thy words be few"

Firstfruits

Comment

Originally posted by Bladers View Post

I suppose it is a good thing that we have one so spiritually in tune so you can share with those of us who have no understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Emanate View Post
                          I suppose it is a good thing that we have one so spiritually in tune so you can share with those of us who have no understanding.
                          The message we get from these scriptures is as it says which is letting our words be few;

Prov 10:19 In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise. (Have a look at the different translations of this scripture if unsure of meaning)

As Bladers has said there is more to it than some of us may believe, or understand.

God bless you!

Firstfruits

Comment

I have always wondered: How can we "pray unceasingly" if we are to use few words?

Comment

Originally posted by carissadawn View Post
                              I have always wondered: How can we "pray unceasingly" if we are to use few words?

Most of these verses are not referring to prayer.

Comment

Working...
                              X