Soul Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soul Food

I would like to start discussions on all about the soul. The following are some leading questions which I have some thoughts.

What is the soul?

Where does the soul come from?

Is our soul a created entity?

Thanks.

Originally posted by ross3421 View Post
    I would like to start discussions on all about the soul. The following are some leading questions which I have some thoughts.

What is the soul?

Where does the soul come from?

Is our soul a created entity?

Thanks.
    Ross, please tell me that this thread isn't all about the soul being created before the man waiting for a body in a place somewhere in heaven.

1st John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

Comment

Originally posted by The Parson View Post
      Ross, please tell me that this thread isn't all about the soul being created before the man waiting for a body in a place somewhere in heaven.

There may be some truth to that. My step-mom always used to say "that is when you were still in heaven eating chocolate drops."

Comment

• Sometimes the word 'soul' is used to describe the immaterial aspect, the spirit of a person.
        • Sometimes the word 'soul' is used to describe the body of a person.
        • Sometimes the word 'soul' is used to describe the body/spirit unit of a person.

Context determines what 'the soul' is.

The word alone, is too vague; although the common modern understanding of the word "soul" is the immaterial spirit that someone has.

Everything besides God Himself, is created.

He created our souls as we were knit together in our mother's wombs.

God Himself even acknowledges in the O.T. that He too has a soul; which makes sense realizing that God is a spirit; and doesn't have a physical body. (at least prior to the N.T. Nativity)

Comment

And there is absolutely no evidence to support the soul being created before the being. More proof actually that once the man comes to life, the soul is created also: Genesis 2:7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Became, means became. That is a creation.

1st John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

Comment

And there is absolutely no evidence to support the soul being created before the being. More proof actually that once the man comes to life, the soul is created also: Genesis 2:7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Became, means became. That is a creation.

I have to agree here.

The Soul is part of the person.... created AT conception. The soul is not a pre-incarnate existence of someone.

The idea that the soul exists before physical life is Eastern Mystical / New-Age ideology.

Hebrews 11:1 Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Meike & I have the same birthday! Na-na na, na-na!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markdrums View Post
              I have to agree here.

The Soul is part of the person.... created AT conception. The soul is not a pre-incarnate existence of someone.

The idea that the soul exists before physical life is Eastern Mystical / New-Age ideology.

Joseph Smith and Mormonism also heavily teaches this....everyone on earth were priorly made disembodied spirit-children made in Heaven by procreation of Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother before the worlds were created....and later placed within bodies to continue their journey to become gods themselves of their own planets later on.

Comment

Originally posted by David Taylor View Post
                Joseph Smith and Mormonism also heavily teaches this....everyone on earth were priorly made disembodied spirit-children made in Heaven by procreation of Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother before the worlds were created....and later placed within bodies to continue their journey to become gods themselves of their own planets later on.
                I believe it does have it's roots in Jewish mysticism although originally started in Babel. They said that in the Chamber or Treasury or Hall of the souls in the 7th heaven was a great multitude of pre-created souls and when a child was conceived, the Treasury gave up a soul. Sort of like a gumball machine. That is most likely where the Mormons picked up on it David, because a great deal of their "religion" deals with mysticism.

Comment

Originally posted by David Taylor View Post
                  [LIST]

He created our souls as we were knit together in our mother's wombs.
                  1. God's creation was complete after 7 days. Scripture is clear on this......

Ge 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

Ge 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

God is not continually creating as you imply. Our bodies are not a direct creation from God but from a formation of the image of Adam.

Ge 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

2. Is not our soul and spirit eternal?

Thus a soul and spirit are eternal intangible aspects which live outside of our tangible bodies. We see this is the case after death so why not before? What is so taboo on saying this to be the case. We can say a soul lives on after death but then say a soul cannot live on before?

Mark

Comment

Parson,

You are saying God creates after the first 7 days. Scripture does not supoort this. Scipture states his creation was FINISHED after the 6th day however you are saying that he then later created a soul when he formed Adam from the already created earth.?

Ge 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

With the understanding that God does not create after the initial 7 days, the verse above should be that now the soul lives in a tangible body not that the soul was created alongwith the flesh. Scripture does not say this.

Question, do you see souls as eternal?

Mark

Comment

I believe it does have it's roots in Jewish mysticism although originally started in Babel. They said that in the Chamber or Treasury or Hall of the souls in the 7th heaven was a great multitude of pre-created souls and when a child was conceived, the Treasury gave up a soul. Sort of like a gumball machine. That is most likely where the Mormons picked up on it David, because a great deal of their "religion" deals with mysticism.
                      I have not read any other literature on the subject of souls outside of scripture. I have heard of the hall of souls in a movie but never from another denomination. I word searched "hall of souls" and came up with nothing. The following was taken from Wikipedia...

"Following Aristotle and Avicenna, St. Thomas Aquinas understands the soul as the first principle, or act, of the body. However, his epistemological theory required that, since the intellectual soul is capable of knowing all material things, and since in order to know a material thing there must be no material thing within it, the soul was definitely not corporeal. Therefore, the soul had an operation separate from the body and therefore could subsist without the body. Furthermore, since the rational soul of human beings was subsistent and was not made up of matter and form, it could not be destroyed in any natural process. The full argument for the immortality of the soul and Thomas's elaboration of Aristotelian theory is found in Question 75 of the Summa Theologica."

The debate of the soul has been for the ages even among Christians so before we write off any suggestions as fully "mystical" let's not be closed minded from what we have been taught and told to believe.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ross3421 View Post
                        Parson,

You are saying God creates after the first 7 days. Scripture does not supoort this. Scipture states his creation was FINISHED after the 6th day however you are saying that he then later created a soul when he formed Adam from the already created earth.?

Ge 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

With the understanding that God does not create after the initial 7 days, the verse above should be that now the soul lives in a tangible body not that the soul was created alongwith the flesh. Scripture does not say this.

Question, do you see souls as eternal?

Mark

Genesis first few chapters are written in the Eastern Style of storytelling:

Beginning, middle, beginning

as compared to the western style of beginning middle end

First show the big picture, then go back and explain with more detail

The first chapter shows the big picture, the second chapter goes into detail about that first chapter.

I think it says man was created on the sixth day in the first chapter. then in the second it goes into detail (middle)

Thats how the Bible is written:

Beginning, middle, beginning

Genesis 1 speaks of the beginning
                        Genesis 2----Jude talks of the middle
                        Revelations talks about the end of the middle/New Beginning

Comment

Originally posted by reformedct View Post
                          I think it says man was created on the sixth day in the first chapter. then in the second it goes into detail (middle)

Not sure I completely understand or agree with your point. But if chapter two is more detail of the events of chapter 1 then could you explain why in chapter 2 man appears BEFORE the animals when in chapter 1 he is created AFTER them?

Comment

Ross, I missed the part where God doesn't create since it's past the 7 days. Neighbor, at the risk of sounding a bit harsh, I would dismiss that just as quickly as having to confess my sins to a man because I can't reach the Lord God or the necessity of praying for the dead.

Comment

There is a elderly woman who is close to me and she told me one day that she believed that as we are here on earth our souls are with God in heaven.

And you might at first think hard on things like this but it's clear to understand that understandings of things like this are only found in parable or figurative ways. But somehow we are connected to God and it is described in the word soul.

I knew exactly what she was talking about even though a part of me wanted to question her understanding another part of me knows exactly what she is talking about.

Comment

Working...
                              X