X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God has elected ...

God has elected to save believers.

Prove me wrong!
    If the Calvinistic Westminister Confession is true (that "God from all eternity did, by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass"), then God ordained my disbelief of Calvinism.

Just a question..... ?

No offense intended, but are there not like 32 active threads debating the relative merits of the Calvinism / Armianian issue right now?

Do we REALLY need another one? (The same issue applies to threads #2 - #31 on this same subject, so I am not picking on you).
    Last edited by Amos_with_goats; Dec 31st 2008, 01:31 PM. Reason: Noticed I was practicing creative spelling again... ;)
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * ** * * * ** * *** * * * * ***** * * * * ** * * * * ** ** * *
    ~ * You get 10 'reps' to bless others with each day... don't log off until you have used them up......
    ....Live your life the same way.... ~ *

Please pray for the 'Persecuted Church'.

Bible Forums Vision: "To be a community of believers who are actively engaged in pursuing the truth of God as revealed in His Son Jesus Christ by way of studying the Scriptures diligently in order to discover this truth."

Comment

Originally posted by alethos View Post

Prove me wrong!
      Oh dear.

Truth is about edifying and building one another up. It is not about edifying and building up one's ego, by proving someone right or wrong. The truth you know shall set you free.

Comment

Prove me wrong!
        The cart pulls the horse.

Prove me wrong!

sigpic

Comment

OK everyone remember that we are dealing with fellow brothers and sisters in this forum, treat each other in a loving manor.

John 13

34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
          35 "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."
          I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
          Have you laid your burdens down?

Comment

Prove me wrong!
            That's not how it works; substantiate your position first.

Comment

Can someone give me a link to a site that can give a brief, good run down of Calvinism? I keep hearing about it, but I don't really understand the controversy involved with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Romber View Post
                Can someone give me a link to a site that can give a brief, good run down of Calvinism? I keep hearing about it, but I don't really understand the controversy involved with it.
                You can go here. Click on the five points of Calvinism and you can contrast it with the five points of Arminianism.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BrckBrln View Post
                  You can go here. Click on the five points of Calvinism and you can contrast it with the five points of Arminianism.
                  It looks to be a decent description of calvinism but a poor description and somewhat a straw man for arminianism.
                  Matt 9:13
                  13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                  NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                    It looks to be a decent description of calvinism but a poor description and somewhat a straw man for arminianism.
                    Is there a decent site explaining arminianism?

Comment

Is there a decent site explaining arminianism?
                      I have no idea really. What you'll get on both sides is generally a straw man of the other. Generally, each side likes to overlook major portions of scripture, IMO.
                      13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                      NASU

Comment

Is there an in between side?

Comment

Is there an in between side?
                          I don't know if there is a name for it. But I'll tell you this, just believe the whole bible and don't try to reconcile away certain verses.

If you tell a calvinist that God changes his mind, he'll tell you no he doesn't. Show him a hundred verses where God said he changed his mind, repented, relented, etc. and he will still deny that God changes his mind because it doesn't fit into his framework or belief system.

On the other hand, the arminian will often ignore verses about God's elect, God hardening the heart, etc.

Just watch this forum and see how each side will twist and turn to try and explain away verses.
                          NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                            I don't know if there is a name for it. But I'll tell you this, just believe the whole bible and don't try to reconcile away certain verses.

If you tell a calvinist that God changes his mind, he'll tell you no he doesn't. Show him a hundred verses where God said he changed his mind, repented, relented, etc. and he will still deny that God changes his mind because it doesn't fit into his framework or belief system.

On the other hand, the arminian will often ignore verses about God's elect, God hardening the heart, etc.

Just watch this forum and see how each side will twist and turn to try and explain away verses.
                            So what is the truth then?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BrckBrln View Post
                              So what is the truth then?
                              The whole word of God, not just part of it.
                              NASU

Comment

Working...
                              X