The genealogy of Jesus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The genealogy of Jesus

What I can't understand is why was Judah chosen to pass down the genealogy? I was under the impression it was the youngest son/or the one with favor (as it has been the major theme throughout Genesis) both attributes Joseph had. Yet the genealogy is passed through Judah.

Maybe I am missing something, but things don't seem to be adding up for me. Any clarification would be great.

here is what I found about it:
    The birthright of the promised seed consists of the double portion of the land, the priesthood, and the kingship. Reuben, as the firstborn son of Jacob, should have inherited the birthright. But because of his defilement he lost the birthright (Gen. 49:3-4; 1 Chron. 5:1-2). The double portion of the land went to Joseph through his two sons, Manasseh and Ephraim (Josh. 16--17); the priesthood went to Levi (Deut. 33:8-10); and the kingship was given to Judah (Gen. 49:10; 1 Chron. 5:2). Hence, Christ, the King of God's kingdom, is a descendant of Judah (Heb. 7:14); as such, He inherits the kingdom. http://online.recoveryversion.org/
    ...be strengthened with power through His Spirit into the inner man, that Christ may make His home in your hearts through faith, that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be full of strength to apprehend with all the saints what the breadth and length and height and depth are and to know the knowledge-surpassing love of Christ, that you may be filled unto all the fullness of God. Eph. 3:16-19

Comment

ahh ok. That has cleared my question up.

Comment

Hi Romber.
        I think it's because Judah said,
        "Because your servant BECAME SURETY for the lad UNTO MY FATHER....now therefore, LET THY SERVANT ABIDE, INSTEAD OF the lad..." Ge.44:32-33
        Benjamin was prisoner and Judah wished to take his place to please his father. That what Jesus did for us.

Comment

Wow, I would not of expected for Judah to do that considering his lack of morals.

Comment

Originally posted by Romber View Post
            What I can't understand is why was Judah chosen to pass down the genealogy? I was under the impression it was the youngest son/or the one with favor (as it has been the major theme throughout Genesis) both attributes Joseph had. Yet the genealogy is passed through Judah.

Maybe I am missing something, but things don't seem to be adding up for me. Any clarification would be great.

Ah, herein lies "the mystery" of which the Apostles spoke. And the reason there are Gentiles in the genealogy line of Messiah.

I'll try to explain briefly. The blessing of Jacob given to Joseph's two sons, contains also symbolism. Jacob himself is partially blind when he blesses them, yet he knows exactly what he is doing. He crosses his arms (a symbol of the cross), as Joseph has stood them before him in the order he understands them to be blessed. But Jacob crosses his arms to bless them in the order that God has planned. And Ephriam is the fruitful one whom all nations are blessed through, even though they will be blind in part among the Gentiles. (this is also associated with the "fullness of the Gentiles", but I won't get into that here)

Anyhoo, they, Ephraim, are mixed in with Israel (and later mixed with Gentiles). Samuel's mother Hannah was married to an Ephraimite, Elkanah who was a son of Korah.

There is an interesting aspect of the scriptures in this respective area. That is, what is called in the KJV (and other English translations of the Massoretic Hebrew text) "the first book of Samuel", was always or otherwise called, the first book of the Kings (this is still true in the Septuagint version). What is interesting about the books of the kings is that it is a historical record whereas the books of Chronicles are more toward a moral aspect. So you have the events viewed from the human standpoint, as they would be seen by the natural eye, and you have the same events viewed from a Divine standpoint, seen and understood from a spiritual mind. Thus we have the historic record and the Divine reason for it.

It is no coincidence that Israel's kingdoms begin with Samuel. Samuel is a forerunner of the prophets that will bring moral messages to Israel. Messages, that as a whole, Israel rejects. Thus has Jesus charged them with killing His prophets sent by Him.

Samuel also comes at a time when there has been no precious words or visions of the Lord given to the people. Eli is the priest with his corrupt sons. Samuel serves under Eli in the temple. All knew that the Lord was with Samuel (1 Sam./1 book of Kingdoms 3:19,20)

It was Samuel (an Ephraimite) who called all the people together at Mizpeh (1 Samuel/1 book of Kingdoms 10:17-19) and told them they had rejected their God who had saved them, and to that, they said to Him "Nay, but set a king over us".

That the people got what they wanted, doesn't mean that is what the Lord wanted.

Tis something we are to consider in our hearts. As here you have Samuel, who is not a Levite but an Ephraimite, serving in the temple with Eli the priest, and prophesying to Israel.

In Christ, Ezekial's prophecy comes true (Israel in Judah and Israel in Ephraim). Ezekiel 27:15-23
            Last edited by Teke; Jan 1st 2009, 08:06 PM. Reason: corrections

Comment

Originally posted by Romber View Post

Christ is the Lawgiver/High Priest:
              Hebrews 7:11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchizedek, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
              :12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.
              :13 For he of whom these things are spoken belonged to another tribe, of which no man has ever served at the altar.
              :14 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Judah; of which tribe Moses spoke nothing concerning priesthood.

Comment

Working...
              X