Doctrine in Genesis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctrine in Genesis?

I've often heard that every Christian doctrine was taught in Genesis. Can you think of any that weren't?

Originally posted by mikebr View Post
    I've often heard that every Christian doctrine was taught in Genesis. Can you think of any that weren't?
    i can only think of one, the secret coming of god to snatch away his people from the earth before anything bad comes.

Comment

Originally posted by yaza View Post
      i can only think of one, the secret coming of god to snatch away his people from the earth before anything bad comes.
      Actually, a form of that was seen in the Noah's Ark story.
      My Blog

Comment

Hmmm, I've never heard this before. It's intriguing.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BrckBrln View Post
          Hmmm, I've never heard this before. It's intriguing.

Maybe we should list some doctrines that are?

Comment

You come up with some of the most interesting questions!

This will take some digging into for sure. But as far as "Christian" doctrine goes, (technecially that is) "Christianity" wasn't established until after Jesus' crucifixion.

BUT..... All the OT types & shadows pointed forward to the ultimate fulfillment in Jesus. So we'll find references & parallels to Jesus & the New Testament ALL THROUGHOUT the Old Testament.

That said, when we talk about essential Christian doctrine, we must include the birth, crucifixion & resurrection of our Savior. Those three things hadn't happened yet when Genesis was written, but were they mentioned, or mirrored, or referenced at all?

THAT, I think, would be the big question.

Hebrews 11:1 Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Meike & I have the same birthday! Na-na na, na-na!!!

Comment

Can you show me some that were?

Comment

Our heavenly Father willing to sacrifice His only son.

Gen 22

for one...

Peace,
                Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Xel'Naga View Post
                  Can you show me some that were?
                  Here's another's views.

http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/5073/

Comment

Good thread Mike. We see many doctrines in Genesis...

1. Salvation by grace and through faith.
                    2. Transformation (i.e. Enoch)
                    3. Judgment
                    4. Salvation in Christ (the seed of the woman, sacrifice, Isaac and Noah's ark, among many others)
                    5. Tongues (babel)

And many others.
                    Matt 9:13
                    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                    NASU

Comment

Interesting topic. Will be interesting to see everyones response.

Just a question, What would be considered major church doctrine?

Comment

bump

awe...
                        I was looking forward to much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirus View Post
                          bump

awe...
                          I was looking forward to much more.
                          Isaac was offered on the same mount that Jerusalem was built on. In other words, it was in the same location of the temple and where Christ was crucified.
                          Matt 9:13
                          13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                          NASU

Comment

From the very beginning we are shown what is acceptable to God and what is not. You could say, we are shown that we must approach God on His terms, not ours.

The account of Cain and Able and their offerings.

Able's shows us that an innocent victim must die, blood must be shed. Also that we need a substitute to go in our stead.

Cain's offering was the work of his own hands, then he was angered that God did not accept it.

So in Able we see salvation by faith.
                            In Cain we see the religion of works.

There is even earlier the coats of skin that God used to cloth Adam and Eve. Again, an innocent victim died, it was in it's entirety a work of God, not by an effort of Adam or Eve. Blood was shed. God also immeadiately performed this and did not leave them "naked".

In types there are many.
                            Mark

“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." Matthew 7:13-14

(All Scripture quoted is from NKJV unless otherwise noted)

Comment

Sorry, I read this too fast! Didn't pay close enough attention, the last word is important!!!LOL, sorry not trying to derail the thread.
                              Mark

“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." Matthew 7:13-14

(All Scripture quoted is from NKJV unless otherwise noted)

Comment

Working...
                              X