No announcement yet.

How can we be meek, and still be MEN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion How can we be meek, and still be MEN?

I was just wondering. Jesus said blessed are the meek. How can we be men who are meek? I'm sure everyone knows what happens to the meek? I don't know, it just does not make sense to me.

Originally posted by appletonbill View Post
    I was just wondering. Jesus said blessed are the meek. How can we be men who are meek? I'm sure everyone knows what happens to the meek? I don't know, it just does not make sense to me.
    -----------------------------------------------------

Good post and thoughts...

I believe the Scripture in Philippians which describes the 'mind of Christ'... shows us a pattern of meekness and humbleness.... If believers would apply this to their lives.. 'let this mind be in you.. as Paul states...

the opposite of meekness is 'haughtiness and pride'.. when you apply the verses in Phillipians to your life and let the Holy Ghost teach and guide you.. then 'meekness' will shine forth..

One can be 'meek' .. yet still be confindent and bold in their walk with their Redeemer and not only this but walk in the Power of the Holy Ghost.. 'in meekness and humbleness"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
    Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
    ------------------------------------------------
    The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
    Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

Hi Appletonbill-

I just copied this from the Blue Letter Bible - I hope it helps a bit.

By the way, good question!
      V
      1) mildness of disposition, gentleness of spirit, meekness
      Meekness toward God is that disposition of spirit in which we accept His dealings with us as good, and therefore without disputing or resisting. In the OT, the meek are those wholly relying on God rather than their own strength to defend against injustice. Thus, meekness toward evil people means knowing God is permitting the injuries they inflict, that He is using them to purify His elect, and that He will deliver His elect in His time (Isa 41:17, Luk 18:1-8). Gentleness or meekness is the opposite to self-assertiveness and self-interest. It stems from trust in God's goodness and control over the situation. The gentle person is not occupied with self at all. This is a work of the Holy Spirit, not of the human will (Gal 5:23).
      I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
      - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

I think what I mean is. When we are with a bunch of other guys, we like to be macho. You know how guys are. I like movies like "The Dark Knight" and "Rambo". Does that mean I can't be blessed because I like stuff like that?

Comment

Jesus was a man and He was meek.

Comment

I think what I mean is. When we are with a bunch of other guys, we like to be macho. You know how guys are. I like movies like "The Dark Knight" and "Rambo". Does that mean I can't be blessed because I like stuff like that?
            Do you follow the guys, or do you follow Christ?

Comment

Originally posted by Butch5 View Post
              Do you follow the guys, or do you follow Christ?
              I follow Christ. Let's just say someone attacks you or your loved ones. What are you going to do? Are you going to run, fight or quote scripture?

Comment

I follow Christ. Let's just say someone attacks you or your loved ones. What are you going to do? Are you going to run, fight or quote scripture?
                Well, Jesus said, turn the other cheek.

Now, could I do that? I can't say. But that is what we are supposed to do.

Comment

I don't think meek equal coward, after all, Jesus, who said be meek, also said preach the Gospel, and it takes courage to completely go against the grain of the world and be a Christian, living according to ways that are in conflict with the world.

There are men who risk their lives every Sunday to walk many miles in far away places to preach the Gospel, is that a coward, hardly, but is that a meek man, probably.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Butch5 View Post
                    Well, Jesus said, turn the other cheek.

Now, could I do that? I can't say. But that is what we are supposed to do.

If you loved your family members and somoeone attacked them you would do everything in your power to stop them. If someone breaks into my house to kill my family i would kill them. How are you loving them by watching someone beat them to death?? God is against murder, not just killing. If killing was a sin then God commanded all those Israelites to sin when they went to war. It is not a sin to kill justly in protecting your family. It is a sin to murder which is unjust killing

I know it may be hard for some to swallow but killing in and of itself is not a sin. There is a time to kill and a time to heal

Comment

Jesus wasn't always meek. Matthew 21:12

Even though His was righteous anger.

Comment

Originally posted by reformedct View Post
                        If you loved your family members and somoeone attacked them you would do everything in your power to stop them. If someone breaks into my house to kill my family i would kill them. How are you loving them by watching someone beat them to death?? God is against murder, not just killing. If killing was a sin then God commanded all those Israelites to sin when they went to war. It is not a sin to kill justly in protecting your family. It is a sin to murder which is unjust killing

I know it may be hard for some to swallow but killing in and of itself is not a sin. There is a time to kill and a time to heal
                        Sorry my friend, but that is not correct. God is the Judge, if He decides to kill that is His right, however Jesus gave us a different command.

Deuteronomy 18:15 ( KJV ) 15The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;

Peter quotes this,

Acts 3:22-23 ( KJV ) 22For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. 23And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.

So Jesus gave us a new law and He said,

Matthew 5:38-42 ( KJV ) 38Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 39But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.40And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also. 41And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. 42Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

Matthew 5:43-44 ( KJV ) 43Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Comment

Practice.

Ask God's help in this matter.

It takes more courage and effort to be meek than using the old tools.

I struggle with this more than I would like to. Thanks for the post.

Comment

My friend, I hope you are not equating meekness with weakness.

The meek are not weak! Moses was said to be a man of meekness, but he led the entire nation with courage! Great courage.

A person who is meek can be VERY courageous, but he will NEVER retalitate and offer an eye for an eye. Don't you know the meek will someday inherit the earth?

The answer is to be strong in the Lord and the power of his might, be courageous and unfearful. But never strive to get even with anyone.

Colossians 3:12
                            Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
                            My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Comment

I do understand how the Lord has changed my life, since I was born again. I used to spend a lot of time in the bars, and when I was younger, I would get in fights, and I was not a very good husband and father. I am able to control my anger much more now. I believe that is what is meant but having a heart of flesh, instead of a heart of stone. Praise the Lord for that.

I uesd to equate meekness with weakness. Now I know that humility is a big part of the change in me. God made me who I am for a reason. I can be bold, and courageous, without being abusive. In fact, it seems that God has given me a heart for the low in spirit, because God has used me in this area for some time now. Our God, is an awesome God.

Brother Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X