Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evil Spirits

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Please Help Evil Spirits

    Explain the following verses.

    "When an evil spirit comes out of a man, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, 'I will return to the house I left.' When it arrives, it finds the house unoccupied, swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that man is worse than the first. That is how it will be with this wicked generation."

  • #2
    Originally posted by Yukerboy View Post
    Explain the following verses.

    "When an evil spirit comes out of a man, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, 'I will return to the house I left.' When it arrives, it finds the house unoccupied, swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that man is worse than the first. That is how it will be with this wicked generation."
    Jesus was describing the attitude of the nation of Israel and the religious leaders in particular. They may have cleansed themselve's of idolatry, but failed to fill that space up with a love of God. The empty space provided lot's of room for Satan to enter in.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by appletonbill View Post
      Jesus was describing the attitude of the nation of Israel and the religious leaders in particular. They may have cleansed themselve's of idolatry, but failed to fill that space up with a love of God. The empty space provided lot's of room for Satan to enter in.
      Sounds right. For the life of me, I kept reading this passage while working on another post and could not understand it.

      Thank you.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Yukerboy View Post
        Explain the following verses.

        "When an evil spirit comes out of a man, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, 'I will return to the house I left.' When it arrives, it finds the house unoccupied, swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that man is worse than the first. That is how it will be with this wicked generation."
        Yukerboy, it means that if someone is possessed and they are delivered from the evil spirit which possesses them, the spirit will return with seven others more evil (and stronger) than itself.

        (Note: This verse can be applied to non-Christians, since Christians are not 'empty', but indwelt by the Holy Spirit.)

        God bless.
        Last edited by paidforinfull; Jan 3rd 2009, 02:37 AM. Reason: Edited to clarify.
        Jeremiah 29:11
        "For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." (NASB)

        Comment


        • #5
          That makes sense too, and is not much different from the first reply if you think it through.

          Thanks again.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by appletonbill View Post
            Jesus was describing the attitude of the nation of Israel and the religious leaders in particular. They may have cleansed themselve's of idolatry, but failed to fill that space up with a love of God. The empty space provided lot's of room for Satan to enter in.
            Friend, where do you see Israel and the religious leaders in that verse, especially when you read it in context of the entire chapter???
            Amazzin

            Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

            CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!



            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by paidforinfull View Post
              Yukerboy, it means that if someone is possessed and they are delivered from the evil spirit which possesses them, the spirit will return with seven others more evil (and stronger) than itself.

              (Note: This verse can be applied to non-Christians, since Christians are not 'empty', but indwelt by the Holy Spirit.)

              God bless.
              In Matthew 12:43-45 Jesus was speaking directly to the Pharisees. He was actually rebuking them, for wanting miraculous signs to prove that He was from God.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by appletonbill View Post
                In Matthew 12:43-45 Jesus was speaking directly to the Pharisees. He was actually rebuking them, for wanting miraculous signs to prove that He was from God.
                And your point is?
                Jeremiah 29:11
                "For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." (NASB)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by amazzin View Post
                  Friend, where do you see Israel and the religious leaders in that verse, especially when you read it in context of the entire chapter???
                  Jesus was speaking to a crowd of Pharisees. He was rebuking them for their lack of understanding of who He was.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by paidforinfull View Post
                    And your point is?
                    Maybe you should find a good commentary.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I find both views are pretty well in line with each other.

                      One has a group who has cleansed himself from unrighteousness (though not really as the group remained without love of God) and yet, because they lacked love for God (unfilled area), the unrighteousness returned, even stronger than before.

                      The other has someone (Christ?) cleaning out the person, setting everything in order, cleansed of unrighteousness, yet because they lacked love for God, the unrighteousness returned, stronger than before.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by appletonbill View Post
                        Maybe you should find a good commentary.
                        Hmmmmm - is your point that I interpreted the referenced Scripture incorrectly?
                        Jeremiah 29:11
                        "For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." (NASB)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by paidforinfull View Post
                          Hmmmmm - is your point that I interpreted the referenced Scripture incorrectly?
                          I think I stated my point clearly. I suggested something that may help to study the Bible. No offense intended.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by appletonbill View Post
                            I think I stated my point clearly. I suggested something that may help to study the Bible. No offense intended.
                            Actually, I have several excellent commentaries at my disposal, and I am quoting from the Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary to back up my earlier statement:

                            Quote: Matthew 12:38-45 ... This parable represents the case of the Jewish church and nation. It is also applicable to all those who hear the word of God, and are in part reformed, but not truly converted. The unclean spirit leaves for a time, but when he returns, he finds Christ is not there to shut him out; the heart is swept by outward reformation, but garnished by preparation to comply with evil suggestions, and the man becomes a more decided enemy of the truth. Every heart is the residence of unclean spirits, except those which are temples of the Holy Ghost, by faith in Christ. Unquote
                            Last edited by paidforinfull; Jan 3rd 2009, 03:32 AM. Reason: Grammar correction
                            Jeremiah 29:11
                            "For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." (NASB)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Nuff said. Have a nice day.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X