What makes a human?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a human?

What are we made up of? Two parts, or three?

Are we mind/spirit and body

or is the mind and spirit separate?---> mind and body and spirit?

I'm not dogmatic about this, but I would be willing to say that man is Two parts.

Spirit and Mind/Body. For the mind comes from flesh (the brain), flesh comes from flesh, and spirit comes from Spirit.

Comment

I don't think it really matters...

There's obviously complicated things going on with our natures... but it's not something we should claim to know when Scripture doesn't exactly go into our "spiritual anatomy".
      To This Day

Comment

I'm not dogmatic either but I like to view it as follows.

We have a body and a spirit. Our soul is the resulting complex interrelationship between our body and spirit.
        ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Comment

1Th 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirus View Post
            1Th 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
            great quote sius!
            Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
            Proverbs 3:5

My soul yearns for you in the night; in the morning my spirit longs for you. When your judgements come upon the earth, the people of the world learn righteousness.
            Isaiah 26:9

Comment

I know I've learned to be cautious about dogmatically calling things dogmatic.....

Comment

Originally posted by Walstib View Post
                I know I've learned to be cautious about dogmatically calling things dogmatic.....
                Are you dogmatically dogmatic about your dogmatic view of dogma?
                You were made to think. It will do you good to think; to develop your powers by study. God designed that religion should require thought, intense thought, and should thoroughly develop our powers of thought.

Charles G Finney

http://holyrokker.blogspot.com

Comment

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground (body), and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life (spirit); and man became a living soul (combo of the two).
                  (Gen 2:7)
                  ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Comment

Originally posted by crossnote View Post
                    And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground (body), and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life (spirit); and man became a living soul (combo of the two).
                    This could work in the now on earth.

But then what is a man when he does not have a body of flesh(dust)?
                    (Psa 49)(1Pe 1:6-9)

Peace,
                    Joe

Comment

Yep, three parts.
                      Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
                      Not second or third, but first.
                      Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
                      when He is the source of all hope,
                      when His love is received and freely given,
                      holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
                      will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------
                        Yes, three parts.... body, soul, spirit...... and good post!
                        Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
                        ------------------------------------------------
                        Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
                        ------------------------------------------------
                        The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
                        Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

it is my view that the breath of life was not spirit but simply as it says, breath. I think the breath of life was the ability to breathe and live but i could be wrong

Comment

Yep. 3 parts.
                            That verse
                            strongly indicates that man is of three parts: spirit, soul, and body. The spirit as our inmost part is the inner organ, possessing God-consciousness, that we may contact God (John 4:24; Rom. 1:9). The soul is our very self (cf. Matt. 16:26; Luke 9:25), a medium between our spirit and our body, possessing self-consciousness, that we may have our personality. The body as our external part is the outer organ, possessing world-consciousness, that we may contact the material world. The body contains the soul, and the soul is the vessel that contains the spirit. In the spirit, God as the Spirit dwells; in the soul, our self dwells; and in the body, the physical senses dwell. God sanctifies us, first, by taking possession of our spirit through regeneration (John 3:5-6); second, by spreading Himself as the life-giving Spirit from our spirit into our soul to saturate and transform our soul (Rom. 12:2; 2 Cor. 3:18); and last, by enlivening our mortal body through our soul (Rom. 8:11, 13) and transfiguring our body by His life power (Phil. 3:21). http://online.recoveryversion.org/
                            ...be strengthened with power through His Spirit into the inner man, that Christ may make His home in your hearts through faith, that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be full of strength to apprehend with all the saints what the breadth and length and height and depth are and to know the knowledge-surpassing love of Christ, that you may be filled unto all the fullness of God. Eph. 3:16-19

Comment

Originally posted by holyrokker View Post
                              Are you dogmatically dogmatic about your dogmatic view of dogma?
                              Only when I think I am right...

Comment

Working...
                              X