Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How strong was the strong drink?

Deut 14:26:

26 and spend the money for whatever you desire—oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household.

I looked up the word shekar (strong drink in Hebrew)

and it said intensly alcoholic drink.

So what would be the equivalent today? like patron? or jaegermeister?

Drinking strong drink does not equate with getting drunk. Yes, if you drink too much you will get drunk but you can also have a drink and not go overboard.

God Bless!
    II Timothy 2:15
    Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
    Read My Testimony sigpic Visit Our Website

Comment

Originally posted by reformedct View Post
      If drunkenness is a sin, how strong do you think the strong drink was?

Drunkennes is not a sin, the actions generally associated with drunkennes are the sin. Catch 22 (almost).

Comment

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like.

While I will agree that drunkenness is no longer a sin to one who is born again, it is definitely an act of the sinful nature.

Comment

26 and spend the money for whatever you desire—oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household.

I think that at least one translation has translated strong drink as beer. Seems like maybe the a Baptist study bible.

Comment

Interesting Luther Quote:

"It is possible to tolerate a little elevation, when a man takes a drink or two too much after working hard and when he is feeling low. This must be called a frolic. But to sit day and night, pouring it in and pouring it out again, is piggish... all food is a matter of freedom, even a modest drink for one's pleasure. If you do not wish to conduct yourself this way, if you are going to go beyond this and be a born pig and guzzle beer and wine, then, if this cannot be stopped by the rulers, you must know that you cannot be saved. For God will not admit such piggish drinkers into the kingdom of heaven [cf. Gal. 5:19-21]... If you are tired and downhearted, take a drink; but this does not mean being a pig and doing nothing but gorging and swilling... You should be moderate and sober; this means that we should not be drunken, though we may be exhilarated."
            Seems like Luther thought a light buzz was not harmful.

Comment

If you are a Christian who drinks alcohol, you must consider your motives carefully.

Based on a thorough examination of the Greek texts, the author of Wine in the Bible: A Biblical Study on the Use of Alcoholic Beverages provides interesting evidence that Jesus and the apostles never drank alcoholic wine, nor did they ever approve of alcohol in any form. This would mean that Christians have no Scriptural support for drinking any alcoholic drinks, even in moderation.

Comment

Originally posted by godsgirl View Post
                If you are a Christian who drinks alcohol, you must consider your motives carefully.

Based on a thorough examination of the Greek texts, the author of Wine in the Bible: A Biblical Study on the Use of Alcoholic Beverages provides interesting evidence that Jesus and the apostles never drank alcoholic wine, nor did they ever approve of alcohol in any form. This would mean that Christians have no Scriptural support for drinking any alcoholic drinks, even in moderation.
                There is already a thread about whether drinking alcohol or not is a sin. This is not what i want this thread to be.

The focus of this thread is to seek to know how strong was the strong drink in Deuteronomy 14:26

Comment

Originally posted by godsgirl View Post

Godsgirl, all here know how you feel on the subject of alcohol and if it is a sin for you then don't partake in it. Do not condemn others that do where as it is not a sin for everyone. To say that Jesus and the apostles never drank alcoholic wine is simply not true. The bible does not state that drinking of alcohol is a sin only drunkenness. Excessive drinking to the point of being a drunkard would be a sin. So if you can show in the scriptures that alcohol is sin in and of itself please do so, but do not go on a rant to derail this thread.
                  I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
                  Have you laid your burdens down?

Comment

Originally posted by TrustingFollower View Post
                    Godsgirl, all here know how you feel on the subject of alcohol and if it is a sin for you then don't partake in it. Do not condemn others that do where as it is not a sin for everyone. To say that Jesus and the apostles never drank alcoholic wine is simply not true. The bible does not state that drinking of alcohol is a sin only drunkenness. Excessive drinking to the point of being a drunkard would be a sin. So if you can show in the scriptures that alcohol is sin in and of itself please do so, but do not go on a rant to derail this thread.

thank you very much for the comment. godsgirl i love you as my sister in Christ but as i said before this thread has nothing to do with wine. Anyone who is bringing up wine is getting off topic:

The focus of this thread is to seek to know how strong was the strong drink in Deuteronomy 14:26

Comment

Well, we know there is a difference between strong drink and wine, that is clear. Wine is made from fermented grapes. Do we know if strong drink is also made from grapes? I'd think not, but probably grain.
                      Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
                      Not second or third, but first.
                      Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
                      when He is the source of all hope,
                      when His love is received and freely given,
                      holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
                      will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

Originally posted by threebigrocks View Post
                        Well, we know there is a difference between strong drink and wine, that is clear. Wine is made from fermented grapes. Do we know if strong drink is also made from grapes? I'd think not, but probably grain.

some have said that there are some versions of the bible that actually say beer i think?

Comment

Hard to say how strong or what method would have been used. Distillation as we think of it wasn't really used until around 700-800 AD, and even then it was crude. However there is another method that might have been used, and it's simple to use on ANY alcoholic beverage like beer or wine to make it "intensely alcoholic". Freeze distilling...that is to freeze the fermented fruit or grain, with about 10 percent alcohol, and basicly turn it into a slush. Drain of the remaining liquid, which has a much higher alcohol content, (and freezes at a lower temp), and the result is about 30 - 40 percent alcohol (or 80 proof) It would be roughly the equivalent of modern rum or brandy. I don't know that this was the method used to produce "strong drink", but it would seem at least feasible. I doubt any other ancient distilling method would have produced anything any stronger.
                          Sorry I can't answer your question for sure, but at least this is a possibility.

Comment

I guess my last post answered (or at least made a reasonable attemptat answering) your question? I haven't seen anymore comments or posts....

Comment

Originally posted by JimC in NM View Post
                              I guess my last post answered (or at least made a reasonable attemptat answering) your question? I haven't seen anymore comments or posts....
                              haha i think many had no clue that there was even a verse in the Bible commending strong drink much less knowing how strong it was lol. I would like some more answers if anyone else has information?

Comment

Working...
                              X