original (first) sin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• original (first) sin

Question, I was always under the impression that the first sin came from Adam and Eve in Genesis 3 in what we call "The Fall" but here's my question: If that was the very first sin, how could there even be a crafty serpent to deceive Eve? Isn't the serpent a fallen angel, therefore he would have been sinning even before Adam and Eve?

Yes.....he sinned from the beginning in fact
    ....and he was in the world, yet sin was not in the world
    .....why/how is that?

Comment

It seems simple to me, Adam's sin was the first sin of mankind.

Comment

Yes, original sin refers to the sin of Adam.

There was sin before that in heaven involving Lucifer and his followers. BUt we as humans were not tainted by Lucifers sin. Once we sinned ourselves then we became tainted and stained with the effects of sin

Comment

Originally posted by bhoup View Post
          Question, I was always under the impression that the first sin came from Adam and Eve in Genesis 3 in what we call "The Fall" but here's my question: If that was the very first sin, how could there even be a crafty serpent to deceive Eve? Isn't the serpent a fallen angel, therefore he would have been sinning even before Adam and Eve?
          Greetings Bhoup.

Scripture does not inform us as to who or what committed the first sin, unless, of course, it was Eve. She would have been the first human to commit sin. Whether or not the Serpent committed sin prior to his subtlety with Eve in the Garden of Eden is not told us by scripture. Neither does scripture inform us that the serpent was a fallen angel.

Jake
          Jake

What does the bible say?

Comment

The Bible does tell us of the sin of Lucifer/Satan/devil:
            Isaiah 14:12-"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! 13For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
            14I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
            15Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit."

'
            .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
            .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

Originally posted by Sirus View Post
              Yes.....he sinned from the beginning in fact
              ....and he was in the world, yet sin was not in the world
              .....why/how is that?
              Well, it was just God and satan, and the war wasn't on earth but in heaven.

What "activates" sin?

Sin wasn't laid bare in it's fullness until there was disobedience against God. Now we see in Genesis 3 sin became active in the world. Sin is what goes against God. The simple presence of evil doesn't make sin active. It took a man with free will to choose for or against God.
              Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
              Not second or third, but first.
              Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
              when He is the source of all hope,
              when His love is received and freely given,
              holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
              will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

God had given dominion to Adam over all the earth. It's all about authority. When the head guy sinned, it impacted everything. If Satan had been in authority over the earth at the time he sinned, it may have had a similar impact. But he wasn't in authority over the world so sin only entered the world through it's authority, Adam.

Because of this law, righteousness can enter through Jesus too. I am very thankful for authority.
                Matt 9:13
                13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                NASU

Comment

Romans 5
                  12Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned--

Sin entered through 1 man, and as Brother Mark said - it affected the entire creation and all mankind.

Comment

Originally posted by Clydson View Post

Scripture does not inform us as to who or what committed the first sin, unless, of course, it was Eve. She would have been the first human to commit sin. Whether or not the Serpent committed sin prior to his subtlety with Eve in the Garden of Eden is not told us by scripture. Neither does scripture inform us that the serpent was a fallen angel.

Jake
                    Originally posted by karenoka27 View Post
                    The Bible does tell us of the sin of Lucifer/Satan/devil:
                    Isaiah 14:12-"How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! 13For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
                    14I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
                    15Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit."
                    It still doesn't tell us if the serpent sinned prior to Eden.

Also, the passage you have quoted is not speaking of Satan. Lucifer, in this context, is someone or something else.

Jake
                    Jake

What does the bible say?

Comment

Originally posted by threebigrocks View Post

What "activates" sin?

Sin wasn't laid bare in it's fullness until there was disobedience against God. Now we see in Genesis 3 sin became active in the world. Sin is what goes against God. The simple presence of evil doesn't make sin active. It took a man with free will to choose for or against God.
                      Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died.. I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death.

This works in every way, even with Adam and Eve.

Once they were told "Do not eat of that tree," sin sprang to life and they died.

The law of God was given so that the transgressions may increase.

Comment

Originally posted by Clydson View Post
                        It still doesn't tell us if the serpent sinned prior to Eden.

Also, the passage you have quoted is not speaking of Satan. Lucifer, in this context, is someone or something else.

Jake
                        Hey Jake,

Who was it taking about then?

Was there another Lucifer on earth?

Or could be that whoever God was talking to, he was comparing him to lucifer, the devil and serpent?
                        OnENtheSpIrIt

Comment

Originally posted by Yukerboy View Post
                          Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died.. I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death.

Once they were told "Do not eat of that tree," sin sprang to life and they died.

Agreed, except to say that the sin wasn't in force until they actually ate the fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by threebigrocks View Post

What "activates" sin?

Yes. One can disobey without sining.......

Sin is a state which consequence is death to our fleshly body. This does not preclude man from having free will to choose right or wrong as in the case of Adam and Eve. The tree of G&E did not show them what was wrong as evidence God still had to give them a commandment to obey which they broke by eating the fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukerboy View Post

Your mostly right. However, the second Adam was also under the law and did not sin. Without a sin nature, the law has nothing in someone. Adam wasn't made with a sin nature.
                              Matt 9:13
                              13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                              NASU

Comment

Working...
                              X