Doctrine of Forgiveness of Past Sin vs ALL Sin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctrine of Forgiveness of Past Sin vs ALL Sin

I have been hearing many say that upon recieving Christ we are only forgiven for past sin? Did Jesus not pay the full price for every sin that we will commit?

Colossians 2

13 And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, 14 by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. 15 He disarmed the rulers and authorities [2] and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him. [3]

Jesus paid our full debt on the cross. Our "tab" with all of our sin debt was nailed to the cross. So does Jesus hand out forgiveness periodically in our relationship to Him? That seems to sound more like Catholicsm. If the price has already been paid for our debt, how are we only forgiven for past sin?

How much of our sin was future sin as Christ shed His blood on that glorious day? Werent we not even born? Did He not pay our debt before we were even concieved? So how come all of the sudden only "past sins" are forgiven?

Was not the lamb slain before the foundation of the world?

Originally posted by reformedct View Post
    I have been hearing many say that upon recieving Christ we are only forgiven for past sin? Did Jesus not pay the full price for every sin that we will commit?

Colossians 2

13 And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, 14 by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. 15 He disarmed the rulers and authorities [2] and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him. [3]

Jesus paid our full debt on the cross. Our "tab" with all of our sin debt was nailed to the cross. So does Jesus hand out forgiveness periodically in our relationship to Him? That seems to sound more like Catholicsm. If the price has already been paid for our debt, how are we only forgiven for past sin?

How much of our sin was future sin as Christ shed His blood on that glorious day? Werent we not even born? Did He not pay our debt before we were even concieved? So how come all of the sudden only "past sins" are forgiven?

Was not the lamb slain before the foundation of the world?
    I was taught in Sunday School that not only were you not forgiven each time you sinned, but there is only a limited amount of times that you could ask for forgiveness and still be forgiven.

Comment

Originally posted by reformedct View Post
      Greetings reformedct.

It might help you to study the words of Peter;

2 Peter 1:7
      9 But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.
      NIV

What is meant by "past sins"? Why does it not read "all sins" or "future sins" or even "past and future sins"?

Jake
      Jake

What does the bible say?

Comment

I have to go with Jesus' last words.....

His whole mission was to conquer sin & death, so that we might have salvation.

On the cross, he said, "It is finished".

He didn't say, "it's started, or - it's in progress, or - we're half-way there"... etc.... the word was "finished".

ALL sins covered by his blood, for those who ask.
        Hebrews 11:1 Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Meike & I have the same birthday! Na-na na, na-na!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Emanate View Post
          I was taught in Sunday School that not only were you not forgiven each time you sinned, but there is only a limited amount of times that you could ask for forgiveness and still be forgiven.
          Biblical support? Anyone can teach anything and it's believed if the truth isn't sought after in the Bible.

I guess the 7x70 is limited and grace runs out after that

Or is it a matter of repentance and being repentant and remaining repentant to make a request for forgiveness worthy? That it has meaning... I know when I was bound in my sin of sexual immorality I asked God for forgiveness daily, far more then 7x70. God began to discipline me and repentant is where I finally am in my walk and am blameless and I was forgiven.

Back to the Sunday School - was this a tactic by a Sunday School teacher to keep little kids good and not to do bad
          Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Forgivness of our sins happens at conversion, my Faith teaches that is at Baptism. All our past sins are completely washed away. But after Baptism we still sin, at least I do unfortunately, so St. John gave us instruction of what to do for sins after conversion, 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

But even the forgiveness of our sins through confession is still purchased through the work that Christ did not the Cross. All forgiveness of sins is possible only through the shed Blood of Jesus Christ, whether it's Baptism or Confession.

Comment

I believe Jesus Christ has cleansed us from all sin if we believe. However, if we deny Him and sin willfully there no longer remains a sacrifice for our sins and we will face chastening from the Lord in order to get us back on track where we are supposed to be.
              "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                I believe Jesus Christ has cleansed us from all sin if we believe. However, if we deny Him and sin willfully there no longer remains a sacrifice for our sins and we will face chastening from the Lord in order to get us back on track where we are supposed to be.
                AMEN, I've experienced it... Praise God!
                Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                  AMEN, I've experienced it... Praise God!
                  Absolutely praise the Lord! As unpleasant as His chastening may be . . . it is just what we need to wake our stubborn selves up sometimes. Thankfully He loves us enough to knock some sense into us.
                  "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                    Absolutely praise the Lord! As unpleasant as His chastening may be . . . it is just what we need to wake our stubborn selves up sometimes. Thankfully He loves us enough to knock some sense into us.
                    Yeah, God has even told me that someday I will teach and testify to others about this event in my life.
                    Slug1--out

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                      Biblical support? Anyone can teach anything and it's believed if the truth isn't sought after in the Bible.

I guess the 7x70 is limited and grace runs out after that

Or is it a matter of repentance and being repentant and remaining repentant to make a request for forgiveness worthy? That it has meaning... I know when I was bound in my sin of sexual immorality I asked God for forgiveness daily, far more then 7x70. God began to discipline me and repentant is where I finally am in my walk and am blameless and I was forgiven.

Back to the Sunday School - was this a tactic by a Sunday School teacher to keep little kids good and not to do bad
                      It was probably the latter. In all fairness, the pastor may have passed out if he knew what we were being taught.

Comment

cleanse us from all unrighteousness
                        I guess all only means past....

Either Christ continues to sin or those who are born again do not.

There's no two ways about it. One or the other, your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukerboy View Post
                          I guess all only means past....

Either Christ continues to sin or those who are born again do not.

There's no two ways about it. One or the other, your choice.
                          That makes no sense.

Comment

That makes no sense.
                            Are not those who are born again the Body of Christ?

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                              That makes no sense.
                              I'm with ya'.
                              I'm confused as to what that means......

Christ was the only person who NEVER sinned. How can he possibly "continue" sinning, when he never sinned in the first place??
                              Hebrews 11:1 Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Meike & I have the same birthday! Na-na na, na-na!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X