The Number 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Number 1000

After reading a "certain post" by one of my friends in another section, It gave me an idea. What if we looked at symbolism in numbers in scripture? But ESPECIALLY, this number:

The Number 1000

(Firstly, let's look at examples of the ones we’re most familiar with)

One - Beginning
    Two - Witness, separation
    Three - The Godhead
    Four - Earth, Creation, world
    Five - Grace, Cross atonement, life
    Six - Man, beast, Satan
    Seven - Perfection, completeness
    Eight - New beginning
    Twelve - Divine government, apostolic fullness
    Twenty Four - Priestly courses; governmental perfection
    Forty - Probation, testing closing in victory and judgment
    Six Hundred Sixty Six – Beast / Antichrist, Satan, the damned

BUT…. What about the number 1000?

We’ve all heard "….one day [is] with the Lord as a thousandyears, and a thousandyears as one day...."
    So, what does that mean? What’s the significance with the number 1000?

Let’s see a couple examples where 1000 is used in scripture & see if we can get an idea of the symbolic meaning.

Deu 7:9 Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he [is] God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;
    Does that mean that God stops showing mercy, and doesn’t keep his promise to generation 1001? Of course not.

Psa 50:10For every beast of the forest [is] mine, [and] the cattle upon a thousand hills.
    Does it mean God does NOT own the cattle on the 1001st hill? Again, NO. That’s not accurate at all.

If we’re paying attention, we’ll realize that ONE THOUSAND represents an Indefinite amount. (Not a literal one.) A number that we as people, may not know for certain, but GOD knows. So whatever the ACTUAL amount is, it’s determined by God; and he expresses it to us as “a Thousand.”

So, going back to the example of “a day is a thousand years….”
    If we folow the same symbolic meaning as shown above, we can better understand that God is telling us he is OUTSIDE OF TIME.
    We might say that a thousand years have passed, (in regards to some particular event…) but it hasn’t been 1000 years to God. To HIM, it’s all the same. He is the beginning AND the end.

And what about the “Thousand years” in Revelation?
    Rev 20:1-7

1And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
    2And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
    3And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
    4And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
    5But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
    6Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
    7And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,

From here I’ll leave it up to you.
    Whether or not you decide to try using this application in your scriptural studies is entirely your choice.
    But one last thing – How would you now view the Creation Account in Genesis? Was it Six literal days? OR?.............

Hope you enjoyed!
    And sorry I repeated the number 1000 a "thousand times".
    Hebrews 11:1 Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Meike & I have the same birthday! Na-na na, na-na!!!

Originally posted by markdrums View Post
    After reading a "certain post" by one of my friends in another section, It gave me an idea. What if we looked at symbolism in numbers in scripture? But ESPECIALLY, this number:

The Number 1000

One - Beginning
    Three - The Godhead
    Six - Man, beast, Satan
    Eight - New beginning

We’ve all heard "….one day [is] with the Lord as a thousandyears, and a thousandyears as one day...."

Let’s see a couple examples where 1000 is used in scripture & see if we can get an idea of the symbolic meaning.

Deu 7:9 Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he [is] God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations;
    Does that mean that God stops showing mercy, and doesn’t keep his promise to generation 1001? Of course not.

Psa 50:10For every beast of the forest [is] mine, [and] the cattle upon a thousand hills.
    Does it mean God does NOT own the cattle on the 1001st hill? Again, NO. That’s not accurate at all.

If we’re paying attention, we’ll realize that ONE THOUSAND represents an Indefinite amount. (Not a literal one.) A number that we as people, may not know for certain, but GOD knows. So whatever the ACTUAL amount is, it’s determined by God; and he expresses it to us as “a Thousand.”

If we folow the same symbolic meaning as shown above, we can better understand that God is telling us he is OUTSIDE OF TIME.
    We might say that a thousand years have passed, (in regards to some particular event…) but it hasn’t been 1000 years to God. To HIM, it’s all the same. He is the beginning AND the end.

1And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
    2And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
    3And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
    4And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
    5But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
    6Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
    7And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,

Whether or not you decide to try using this application in your scriptural studies is entirely your choice.
    But one last thing – How would you now view the Creation Account in Genesis? Was it Six literal days? OR?.............

Hope you enjoyed!
    Ohhhhh...get out the whips and chains for the flogging to commence....

You realize you just opened a can of worms here right?

I have to leave in a minute but will return and see how you are surviving...

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

The Number 1000

One - Beginning
      Three - The Godhead
      Six - Man, beast, Satan
      Eight - New beginning

Hope you enjoyed!
      Greetings Mark,

I think you have already shown that one thousand years symbolizes the fullness or completion of TIME...or this age. When TIME is no more the thousand YEARS (years symbolizing time) will be done, and all that is left after time is no more is eternity. We are NOW living in the thousand years, or another way of saying it, we are NOW living in time...when the thousand years is fulfilled, and TIME is no more, we will be living or not in eternity.

Many Blessings,
      RW

Comment

If we folow the same symbolic meaning as shown above, we can better understand that God is telling us he is OUTSIDE OF
        TIME.
        We might say that a thousand years have passed, (in regards to some particular event…) but it hasn’t been 1000 years to
        God. To HIM, it’s all the same. He is the beginning AND the end.

Hi markdrums. It is really dificult for me to express my thoughts into writing, such as these forums. The thing is, I wholeheartedly agree with your conclusions that I have quoted. But I think it goes even deeper and far more spread out than that. Take Psalms 90:4 instance.

Psalms 90:4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Not only do I believe that this verse teaches us that God is outside of time, I also believe that it agrees with 2 Peter 3:8. So how can it be both? That's what I tend to somewhat understand, tho just vaguely, but just can't come up with the right words to explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by moonglow View Post
          Ohhhhh...get out the whips and chains for the flogging to commence....

You realize you just opened a can of worms here right?

I have to leave in a minute but will return and see how you are surviving...

God bless
          You mean I get the famous "Moonglow" award??

Woohooo!!!!
          Hebrews 11:1 Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Comment

Originally posted by divaD View Post
            Hi markdrums. It is really dificult for me to express my thoughts into writing, such as these forums. The thing is, I wholeheartedly agree with your conclusions that I have quoted. But I think it goes even deeper and far more spread out than that. Take Psalms 90:4 instance.

Psalms 90:4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Not only do I believe that this verse teaches us that God is outside of time, I also believe that it agrees with 2 Peter 3:8. So how can it be both? That's what I tend to somewhat understand, tho just vaguely, but just can't come up with the right words to explain it.

I get what you're saying.

The main thing is, numbers ARE symbolic.
            "A thousand" is used manyn times in scripture to represent an unspecified amount..... whether it be people, or hills, or generations, or .... years.
            Here's another example:

Jdg 15:16 And Samson said, "With the jawbone of an ass, heaps upon heaps, with the jaw of an ass have I slain a thousand men."

To think Samson slayed exactly 1000 men, no more no less... would be inaccurate.
            Just as thinking God will ONLY keep his mercy & covenant with exactly 1000 generations is being over literal as well.

OR....

Rev 5:11 And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands;

Basically, that's describing an unspecified, innumerable amount....

I know this whole topic is a HUGE subject of debate; (which is part of the reason I decided to bring it up.... LOL!!) but I think it's a good idea to follow previous examples & contexts from scripture, when making our interpretations.

But I think the key message in the whole "time" debate would be: Don't focus on the amount of time specifically.... But yes, there ARE exceptions to the rule.

For instance, Daniel's "Seventy weeks / Seventy Sevens" prophecy.
            He was told- Dan 9:24 "Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city,......"

So, in this instance there was a specified amount of time given. There is more detail in the prophecy regarding "how long".

Make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by RogerW View Post
              Greetings Mark,

I think you have already shown that one thousand years symbolizes the fullness or completion of TIME...or this age. When TIME is no more the thousand YEARS (years symbolizing time) will be done, and all that is left after time is no more is eternity. We are NOW living in the thousand years, or another way of saying it, we are NOW living in time...when the thousand years is fulfilled, and TIME is no more, we will be living or not in eternity.

Many Blessings,
              RW

Thanks for the reply!
              I appreciate the input!

The main focus I was wanting to convey was, how the number 1000 symbolizes unspecified/undetermined amounts.

Yes.... I progressed into the context of "time" as well.... but I think it fits in.

Anyway, thanks again!

Comment

Yes, this is the battle cry of the amillenialst.

Comment

You mean I get the famous "Moonglow" award??

Woohooo!!!!
                  Yep!

Your post is good to as it could be posted on the end time forum...the apologist forum in a creation debate, just discussing the meanings of numbers in the bible...I bet you struggled in trying to decide which topic to have it viewed under...

I have heard the debate each 24 'day' the Lord worked on creation, was actually a thousand years...but that still doesn't add up to the millions by far for the old earth view...(if the thousands were literally a thousand years that is)...if on the other hand its viewed as an unlimited amount of time (as God sees fit..whatever that may be) then you could argue the old earth theory.

I think eventually science will show us that time isn't what we think it is.(well actually they are already) For us, God did set a time..the bible shows us a day is 24 hours..we have seasons, the cycles of the moon and the sea and so forth, but in the grand scheme of things, time is not like this...especially not in space. I don't know why more people don't apply Einstein's theory of Relativity..especially when it came to the creation of the universe. the closer you get to the speed of light, the slower time goes...so in a very real way...a day CAN be a thousand years!

But then we also have evidence like this: Scientists announced today new evidence supporting the theory that the infant universe expanded from subatomic to astronomical size in a fraction of a second after its birth.

Evident too that things were created at a much faster rate then ever imaged. I don't believe God needed a full 24 hours (of our time) to create anything. He could blink it would it would be there...but I don't think that is quite how He works either. I believe in His creation of anything, He takes His time (in HIS definition of time, not ours) I believe He created and everything literally went BANG but He controlled the process too...or set inside of that creation a plan so as it expanded and grew and moved, it couldn't help but follow His plan...

At any rate, we now know time bends, slows down, does all sorts of odd things. Einstein's could literally leave the earth and if he traveled at the speed of light...come back around to earth and meet himself... Now try to explain that in terms of 'time' as we understand it.

I realize many think (well unbelievers mostly) that the bible is anti science...I so disagree with that...I think science has been so far behind the bible, its just now starting to catch up with it. It would explain time as God sees, it and it would explain the passage..a day is a thousand years to the Lord and a thousands years a day. (well however that goes...I am terrible at paraphrasing..).

Now if anyone understood my post you get reps!

God bless
                  "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

Thanks for the reply!
                    I appreciate the input!

The main focus I was wanting to convey was, how the number 1000 symbolizes unspecified/undetermined amounts.

Yes.... I progressed into the context of "time" as well.... but I think it fits in.

Anyway, thanks again!
                    Yes in the terms of being a literal thousand years especially as applied to the end times, most studies I have read on it say it wasn't meant to be a literal thousands years. But I don't know if you will convince those that do take it as as a literal thousand years.
                    The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia

A thousand (thousands), very often a literal number, but in not a few cases indefinite, e.g. Exodus 20:6 parallel Deuteronomy 5:10; 7:9; 1 Samuel 18:7; Psalms 50:10; 90:4; 105:8; Isaiah 60:22, etc. Ten thousand (Hebrew ribbo, ribboth, rebhabhah; Greek murids, murioi) is also used as a round number as in Leviticus 26:8; Deuteronomy 32:30; Song of Solomon 5:10; Micah 6:7. The yet higher figures, thousands of thousands, etc., are, in almost all cases, distinctly hyperbolical round numbers, the most remarkable examples occurring in the apocalyptic books (Daniel 7:10; Revelation 5:11; 9:16; Ethiopic Enoch 40:1).

And some dismiss numbers in the bible as being unimportant though they sure come up alot!

God bless

Comment

The Number 1000

One - Beginning
                      Three - The Godhead
                      Six - Man, beast, Satan
                      Eight - New beginning

Hope you enjoyed!

It's true, you have shown several verses where a thousand can represent an unspecified amount, but what about all those verses, too numerous to list, that a thousand literally means a thousand?

Here's a cpl, since I know Daniel is one of your favorite books.

Daniel 8:14 And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed.

Daniel 12:11 And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days.

Daniel 12:12 Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days.

You do take these numbers literally, correct? if so...

Revelation 20:2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years

Revelation 20:3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

Revelation 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Revelation 20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

Revelation 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Revelation 20:7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,

Then why wouldn't you, if you do not, take these verses also literally? Each one of them specifically states a thousand years. Why should we interpret this as an unspecified amount of time, when it specifically states 1000 yrs?

Getting back to one of the questions that you posed in this opening post...if one interprets a day to the Lord as 1000 yrs, then what does someone do with the 6 days of creation? Does that then mean those days were a 1000 yrs long? For one thing, it would go a long way in explaining how Adam did indeed die the very same day he partook of the fruit. But no use in me beating around the bush, lol. I don't have a satisfactory answer for you. On one hand, I believe the creation days to be 24 hr days, otoh, I believe that a day to the Lord is the same as 1000 yrs. As one can see, these conclusions don't exactly jive with each other, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by divaD View Post
                        It's true, you have shown several verses where a thousand can represent an unspecified amount, but what about all those verses, too numerous to list, that a thousand literally means a thousand?

Here's a cpl, since I know Daniel is one of your favorite books.

Daniel 8:14 And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed.

Daniel 12:11 And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days.

Daniel 12:12 Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days.

You do take these numbers literally, correct? if so...

Revelation 20:2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years

Revelation 20:3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

Revelation 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Revelation 20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

Revelation 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Revelation 20:7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,

Then why wouldn't you, if you do not, take these verses also literally? Each one of them specifically states a thousand years. Why should we interpret this as an unspecified amount of time, when it specifically states 1000 yrs?

Getting back to one of the questions that you posed in this opening post...if one interprets a day to the Lord as 1000 yrs, then what does someone do with the 6 days of creation? Does that then mean those days were a 1000 yrs long? For one thing, it would go a long way in explaining how Adam did indeed die the very same day he partook of the fruit. But no use in me beating around the bush, lol. I don't have a satisfactory answer for you. On one hand, I believe the creation days to be 24 hr days, otoh, I believe that a day to the Lord is the same as 1000 yrs. As one can see, these conclusions don't exactly jive with each other, lol.

LOTS of questions!!! KEWL!!

I'll try to answer in the order of which ones I have time to tackle while I'm here at work. LOL!

The six days of creation- with God telling us "a day is 1000 yrs. and 1000 yrs is a day..."

God, in essence is saying to us: "Look... by YOUR understanding of time, this took,.... well...... a long time".
                        (That's probably the shortest paraphrasing I've ever done... but that's the gist of it.)

Comment

markdrums

I like your point because it sounds like a good Augustinian point!

Comment

Moonglow.. can I use your worms for fishing? lol...
                            Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
                            ------------------------------------------------
                            Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
                            ------------------------------------------------
                            The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
                            Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

In that case, perhaps you should disregard the first half of my prev post, since the verses I supplied in Daniel did have the number 'thousand' in them, but not specifically the number 1000 by itelf. But don't worry, I did find some verses such as that.

Revelation 20:2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,

Comment

Working...
                              X