Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The gift of healing--Have you been healed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion The gift of healing--Have you been healed?

I am often criticized by Charismatics, as I am a critic of their movements, which in my POV are not Biblical. What I envy about Charismatics that I am aware of is that they are very vocal, are serious about soul winning, (although Fundamentalists and them have a different philosophy on how its done) they are activists, and will speak out. Hence the majority of my criticism via online or in person over the years have been from this crowd.

Recently one wrote me and has tried to argue against my position on the gift of healing. This person claimed that she had seen people healed right in front of her, and such.

I am curious as to anyone else's experience of being healed. I wrote back and said that I believe that God can heal people, but that the gift of healing has ceased. However I have been wrong before, and await some more tangible evidence from some.

I can say that I am a critic but I do have a open mind. Some other areas where the Lord convicted me.

1. I at one time believed that women could be pastors and teach men but the Lord convicted me.
    2. For a short season I was KJVO, but the Lord convicted me.
    3. For a season I worked in a New-Evangelical church and supported the emerging church, but the Lord convicted me.
    4. There have been other areas where I was very DOGMATIC but in time, and via reasoning from the scriptures with others, myself and the Holy Spirit I have changed positions.

I will also state that I am aware that Fundamentalists & Conservative Evangelicials are in the "minority" in this board and ask this question to hear other stories of being healed, to see perhaps if my views on the matter are incorrect. As one New-Evangelical couple said to me last night out on soul winning "we are both on the same side" and I agreed.

So anyone with healing experiences or such I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Poochie

I haven't experienced any dramatic healings myself, but one of my closest friends in the US was healed of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, a genetic disease causing problems with connective tissue and hypermobility. Flutecrafter and Elouise know her as well. When I last stayed with her in Spring 2006, she was mostly in a wheelchair in braces from her neck to her ankles (even her fingers had to have splints on to keep them from bending), on morphine, exploring converting her laptop to voice activation as her hands were refusing to work, and looking at eventually having to have part of her jaw removed as it all crumbled. She also had severe food allergies; I've seen her writhe in agony from them. She even had to take her own glutenfree bread to church so she could participate in communion.

Now she hikes up mountains, dances happily, does other active things that were physically impossible before, and the food allergies are gone. Here's a link to the post in her blog where she explains it:

http://iamhealed.net/2006/09/18/dancing-for-jesus/

Comment

My best friend healed of a disease in his leg where the bone grows too quickly in comparsion to the rest of the body. The only way for it to be cured is to wait years for the rest of the body to catch up in growth. It's very painful and stopped him from playing sport.

But in 60 seconds of prayer, he was healed in front of me, and never has had any problems.

I see absolutely no reason why God would not want to heal people anymore. He healed people through the Holy Spirit living in the Apostles, and that same Holy Spirit lives in us today.

On top of the specific situation I mentioned, the Bible College which I am going to next year sees healings on a weekly basis. I have seen several other people healed in church meetings. I have heard testimonies of people who have been to Africa, laid hands on the sick and have healed them.

There's hardly any questions involved, God DOES heal.
      He's charging into hell and bringing heaven with him!- Rob Bell

"So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir" - Paul - Galations 4:7

Comment

Should also mention that the same lady was earlier healed of partial deafness. She had been a Pagan and had a severe vomiting attack (she was fored to remove her hearing aids as the contortions involved in vomiting made them hurt) and felt compelled to command the entities to leave; when they did, she was able to hear without the hearing aids.

Another lady known to me who was healed was Jennifer Rees Larcombe - she was confined to a wheelchair for 8 years after a devastating bout of encephalitis. The doctors considered her a terminal case and told he not to bother about getting addicted to morphine. She was healed when a new Christian shyly asked her if she could pray for her. Jennifer wrote a book called Unexpected Healing. A sober Anglican-type lady.

Comment

My school usually blocks access to blogs and I did read parts of that one and thank you for it. God can heal people praise the Lord for that.

One tragedy of conservatives (I admit) is that we are far more into the intellectual than into the spirit.

Originally posted by Bethany67 View Post
          I haven't experienced any dramatic healings myself, but one of my closest friends in the US was healed of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, a genetic disease causing problems with connective tissue and hypermobility. Flutecrafter and Elouise know her as well. When I last stayed with her in Spring 2006, she was mostly in a wheelchair in braces from her neck to her ankles (even her fingers had to have splints on to keep them from bending), on morphine, exploring converting her laptop to voice activation as her hands were refusing to work, and looking at eventually having to have part of her jaw removed as it all crumbled. She also had severe food allergies; I've seen her writhe in agony from them. She even had to take her own glutenfree bread to church so she could participate in communion.

Now she hikes up mountains, dances happily, does other active things that were physically impossible before, and the food allergies are gone. Here's a link to the post in her blog where she explains it:

http://iamhealed.net/2006/09/18/dancing-for-jesus/

Comment

Amazing. Simply amazing. I do believe that God can heal but I deny that others can do it in his name. I believe the Bible is clear that God heals only.

Its great having the faith than God can do miracles. I rarely hear of these stories (if ever) in Fundamentalist & Conservative fellowships. I am one of their number, but as I've been in the evangelical and charismatic movement as well in the past I saw a greater emphasis on the spirit than on the intellectual. My old girlfriend was in FourSquare.

Originally posted by Bethany67 View Post
            Should also mention that the same lady was earlier healed of partial deafness. She had been a Pagan and had a severe vomiting attack (she was fored to remove her hearing aids as the contortions involved in vomiting made them hurt) and felt compelled to command the entities to leave; when they did, she was able to hear without the hearing aids.

Another lady known to me who was healed was Jennifer Rees Larcombe - she was confined to a wheelchair for 8 years after a devastating bout of encephalitis. The doctors considered her a terminal case and told he not to bother about getting addicted to morphine. She was healed when a new Christian shyly asked her if she could pray for her. Jennifer wrote a book called Unexpected Healing. A sober Anglican-type lady.

Comment

What college is that? Oral Roberts? Thanks..

Originally posted by Friend of Jesus View Post
              My best friend healed of a disease in his leg where the bone grows too quickly in comparsion to the rest of the body. The only way for it to be cured is to wait years for the rest of the body to catch up in growth. It's very painful and stopped him from playing sport.

But in 60 seconds of prayer, he was healed in front of me, and never has had any problems.

I see absolutely no reason why God would not want to heal people anymore. He healed people through the Holy Spirit living in the Apostles, and that same Holy Spirit lives in us today.

On top of the specific situation I mentioned, the Bible College which I am going to next year sees healings on a weekly basis. I have seen several other people healed in church meetings. I have heard testimonies of people who have been to Africa, laid hands on the sick and have healed them.

There's hardly any questions involved, God DOES heal.

Comment

Originally posted by poochie View Post
                What college is that? Oral Roberts? Thanks..
                What part of Scripture says that these gifts have ceased to be doled out by the Holy Spirit as He sees fit?

Visit our new website
                ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
                "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
                  What part of Scripture says that these gifts have ceased to be doled out by the Holy Spirit as He sees fit?
                  There are arguments made from scripture and from history, culture, etc..

Gift of Healing Began to Fade During Paul's Earthly Ministry

When Paul was writing to Timothy he advised him on his health. "No longer drink water exclusively, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments" (1 Tim. 5:23). Why didn't Paul just heal Timothy? Timothy had enough problems without having stomach problems. Why didn't Paul just use his gift of healing instead of giving him some advice on how to help the problem?

In 2 Timothy 4:20, Paul had to leave Trophimus behind at Miletus because Trophimus was so sick. Why didn't Paul, who had raised Eutychus from the dead (Acts 20:10), just heal Trophimus? The only explanation seems to be that this ministry -- this particular gift of healing -- is being phased out, because in 2 Timothy, Paul is close to the end of his ministry. It was no longer necessary to validate Paul's ministry by the miraculous -- Paul's writings were beginning to be recognized as Scripture (2 Pet. 3:15 16).

Philippians 2:27 gives another example where Paul does not (cannot) heal a fellow Christian, "For indeed he (Epaphroditus) was sick to the point of death, but God had mercy on him, and not on him only but also on me, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow." That is strange as you think of Paul's power as a miracle worker in the earlier part of his ministry.

Tongues

The first mention of speaking in tongues in the Bible is found in Acts 2:4: "And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance." Other "tongues" is the Greek word glossa. All the different people present are listed in verses 9 and 10. These various groups of people are saying that they hear what is being said in their own language (verse 11).

Tongues Were One of the Sign Gifts
                  The sign gifts, remember, were temporary gifts to validate the ministry of the apostles (2 Cor. 12:12). Tongues are specifically called a sign in 1 Corinthians 14:22.

Once a message had been confirmed by signs and wonders, there was no longer a need for further confirmation (Heb. 2:3 4).

The Gift of Tongues Is not Present Today
                  What about the ecstatic speech that is a common phenomenon today? Speaking in tongues as it is practiced today is not Biblical tongues. (We have already established that Biblical tongues refers to foreign languages.) The babblings of today have their origin in the mystery cults of ancient Greece and the Roman Empire, and it was practiced by unbelievers.
                  Experiences Can Be Contrary to the Bible
                  Be careful not to sift your Bible through what is going on -- instead, know what the Bible says and determine your experiences in light of the standard -- the Word of God! That can be very difficult because you cannot deny your experiences. However, a person on drugs might have beautiful mind-boggling experiences, even religious experiences, but those experiences are not bringing him closer to God. His experience is wrong and drawing him farther away from God's truth. Some experiences are distractions from God's Word.

Tongues Were a Sign to the Jews That Gentiles Were to Be Part of the Body of Christ
                  In the first part of Acts 10, God had to give Peter a special vision so that Peter would be willing to speak to Cornelius and his household (Gentiles). "While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the message" (Acts 10:44). What was the reaction of the Jewish believers? "And all the circumcised believers (Jews) who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out upon the Gentiles also" (Acts 10:45). The Jews recognized this sign and its significance (Acts 11:15 18).

What was the sign that the Holy Spirit had been poured out upon the Gentiles? The sign is found in Acts 10:46, "For they were hearing them speaking with tongues and exalting God." So again, the gift of tongues was proof that God was not only going to include Jews and Samaritans, but Gentiles as well into the one body God was making. Once the fact had been established, it did not have to be repeated. Once the Jews knew that the Gentiles were to be a part of the Body of Christ, it does not make sense that every time a Gentile believed, he had to give the evidence, for that had already been established. That is the foundation we are to build upon.

These are the two most common sign gifts that have ceased but there are others.

Comment

It is noted that I do believe that God can heal and do miracles for He is God and all powerful (omnipotent).

Comment

God healed me.
                      No ifs ands or buts about it...God healed me.
                      I'm Sara
                      "Jesus wept." John 11:35
                      Praying for my sister Mieke.
                      sigpic

Comment

David Jeremiah preached an excellent sermon on this topic once and I have it on audio cassette (sorry before the days of MP3 and Podcasting).

I can duplicate the tape (as it was a radio broadcast) and mail you a copy if you are interested. Let me know if I cna be of service. I'd only request that you paypal me a little money for shipping, a envelope and the tape.

Comment

Originally posted by militarywife View Post
                          God healed me.
                          No ifs ands or buts about it...God healed me.
                          Praise the Lord for that! Thats wonderful. What did you have?

Comment

I had a large 9 millimeter lump of NOTHING praise God removed from my breast.
                            I'm Sara
                            "Jesus wept." John 11:35
                            Praying for my sister Mieke.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hi Poochie,

You can always tune in and watch this is your day with Benny hinn, then you will see healings all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X